Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Pathfinder: Kingmaker Codex Fundraiser - Better Late Than Never

Quantomas

Savant
Concept for a The Codex building in Pathfinder: Kingmaker

In the palace

A clearly shaken guard enters the palace and hurries towards you. With a frightened voice he reports: "Your grace, a powerful mage has appeared in the ruined watchtower facing the town square and said that he will tear this place apart, if it is necessary in his search for a gateway to," he pauses a moment, "--I didn't catch the name." He sighs. "I was too frightened. He just turned Miller who was with me on guard duty into stone and claimed that he is a dark underlord. I ran as fast as I could to report to your grace without delay." A moment later he adds: "He is a kobold."

"A kobold, you say? Let me investigate."

In the ruined watchtower

You enter the watchtower in full armor and in the company of your trusted party, everyone fully armed. You spot the interloper immediately. He is indeed a kobold in a richly embroidered robe sitting on a makeshift bench.

You approach: "I heard you are threatening our citizens and I will not—"

"No, no, you are getting it all wrong. I am not interested in this place. There are much bigger powers at work and your best chance is that they won't take an interest in you. I am merely passing through in my search of the gate to Ranglator."

"What with the guard you turned to stone?"

The kobold grins, "Merely a cantrip. He lacked courtesy and will reanimate before noon."

You grit your teeth, "What is this intrusion about?"

"You see, I can provide you with lore and priceless knowledge in exchange for your help."

* * *​

The general concept is to have a mysterious character providing you with lore and sending you on a well-written quest that demonstrates Codexian writing prowess and mostly utilizes assets already in the game to keep implementation costs to a minimum. The kobold claims to be a dark underlord (DU). Naturally the citizenry scoffs at this notion. The kobold makes up for his small size with a mean tongue and shows enough magic aptitude that there remains a measure of uncertainty whether his bold claims could be — against all odds — true.

The quest has multiple stages, each asking you to acquire a rune. Upon receiving each rune the DU extracts a small polished pearl from it and hands the rune back to you, stating that you will need these to unlock a bigger mystery.

Each quest stage sends you in search of the carrier of a rune whom you will meet in a random encounter area.

The general idea is that the Codex does quality encounter design (it's one thing to round up on games for poor encounter design, but another to demonstrate how it goes), including extraordinary composition of the target's party with interesting and skilled combatants, lots of synergy effects and proper level-up scaling.

Naturally, we should provide more options for the encounters that offer alternate solutions through dialog, stealth, alignment and more. Plus the encounters should provide narrative, like the enemy boss giving you cryptic hints with his dying breaths about who the DU truly is and how you may thwart him.

Regarding lore, the DU should have a handful of books with Pathfinder lore on his shelf in the watchtower. But this lore will be written with a twist, authored by a supposedly famous figure, for example a disturbed mystic. Each book of lore will provide an observant reader with hints how to find and engage a rune carrier.

Additionally, the entire quest chain should have an alternative solution with a better reward for exceptionally smart players who get the rune carriers to talk in confidence and reveal clues about the alternative. It could easily be cryptic enough that only a small fraction of the players figure this out.

Prerequisites

If approved, this proposal will require $10,000 in funding for the design a building and design a NPC rewards (each 5K) plus some negotiation skill to convince MCA/Owlcat that this indeed enhances the game. As Owlcat is giving us rewards double our money, we will need to reach $5,000 in the Codex campaign.

Also, Owlcat's Kickstarter attracted a fair number of Pathfinder table-top players who boast with lore on their forums. I could set up a thread in their forum to get them to help writing the lore for the handful of quest books and promote The Codex fundraising campaign.

I will only do more if this desired.

Last edited:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
$750 - Create an Item - The Ring
$1,000 - Create Party Banter - Something about The Ring.
$1,500 - Create a Spell - Locate Ring
$1,750 - Create a Book - History of the Ring
$2,000 - Create a Creature - Ring Wielder
$2,500 - Create an NPC's Face - That Sexy Troll you get when you roll 25
$3,000 - Create a Statue - Same Sexy Troll
$4,000 - Create a Quest - Equip the Ring!

Anac'raxus

Learned
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Are you guys trying to get me banned for revealing non-public info so you can win my precious gift in a raffle/paint challenge in the future? I'm guessing my benefactor won't care, but this being both current year and the Codex, I'll play it safe.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Are you guys trying to get me banned for revealing non-public info so you can win my precious gift in a raffle/paint challenge in the future? I'm guessing my benefactor won't care, but this being both current year and the Codex, I'll play it safe.

We know for sure that he donated some $2500 in total, bringing the funds up from ~$1100 to where they are now. I just wanted to find out if he'd donated that entire sum to you or if it was spread to other people as well.

My guess is that it probably was spread out. Y'all are getting free shit.

Last edited:

Anac'raxus

Learned
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

We know for sure that he donated some $2500 in total, bringing the funds up from ~$1100 to where they are now. I just wanted to find out if he'd donated that entire sum to you or if it was spread to other people as well.

My guess is that it probably was. Y'all are getting free shit.

It's prolly safe to reveal that it didn't all, or even mostly, go to me.

PrettyDeadman

My guess is that it probably was spread out. Y'all are getting free shit.
Not true. When the sum was ~1100 I was the top donator with 100 dollars donated.
When the sum jumped to 3600, there were 5 new people above me (which means they donated 100+ dollars), which means that Anac'raxus could not have donated ALL the sum by himself, since 4 people above people donated at least 100+ dollars each. Unless codex reshuffled the donators list for no reason at all.
I monitored the donators list, I wrote down every new donator and how much the sum of donations increased after that in my notebook.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's not Anacraxus, it's somebody who donated in his name. You should check if he donated for you also.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
It's not Anacraxus, it's somebody who donated in his name. You should check if he donated for you also.
Although, in regard to that specific event, I believe only those who had also donated non-anonymously to the 2017 codex server fund need bother checking.

Hah! I didn't think it would be you because you don't like RTwP.

Well he is the richest bastard around here so its all 4D chess to him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom