Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

Zenith

Arbiter
I know this isn't GMDX-related, but I'll ask anyway. So I installed GMDX on Win XP, with an older launcher and all. But if I disable mouse accel from the launcher, mouselook turns off completely. The menus work though, even the realtime inventory. Is there a workaround?

T. Reich

Arcane
Found a possible bug:
PRCS Wall Cloud mission, in the below decks level. There's an area with the bridge that gets electrocuted by the nearby transformator. The technician standing outside gives a side-mission to disable it via two panels.
One of the panels is below the floor, guarded by the camera and the trip beam activated spider-bot.
However, I get a lot of exp (200 exp) simply by coming close to this panel; I didn't use a single multitool on it or the other panel.

DTS + max low tech + meele damage aug = 70 damage, ie 'bust open almost everything that is locked without lockpicks'. Add targeting aug for even more busting goodness.

Quite nice. Can even take out bots by facehugging them with ballistic protection aug while taking fairly low damage.

feature request: don't delete ballistic vest etc when they run out of charge. Since they can be charged with biocells, this is a bit annoying that you have to make sure they never go low.

Sniper rifle + 1x weapon damage mod + max rifles = 58 damage, which is enough to destroy surveillance cameras with one shot. I suppose that using more weapon damage mods on it and/or using the targeting aug will also allow to break open pretty much anything breakable at any distance and with extreme precision.

Which is actually really damn useful, because GMDX is really miserly with lockpicks - I try to conserve them as much as possible (only using to get weapon mods + aug cans + significant exploration exp bonuses), but I'm nearly always at 15+ multitools and only at 5-6 with lockpicks.

Sniper rifle + 1x weapon damage mod + max rifles = 58 damage, which is enough to destroy surveillance cameras with one shot. I suppose that using more weapon damage mods on it and/or using the targeting aug will also allow to break open pretty much anything breakable at any distance and with extreme precision.

Which is actually really damn useful, because GMDX is really miserly with lockpicks - I try to conserve them as much as possible (only using to get weapon mods + aug cans + significant exploration exp bonuses), but I'm nearly always at 15+ multitools and only at 5-6 with lockpicks.

Sniper should deal 70 damage w/ all 5 damage mods, which is a bit insane. Targetting lvl 2 gets you over 75 and the lockpicking perk makes you effectively 80. Hey Ash, do you know how many Damage mods there are in the game? Think I found 6. Dumped all mine on my pistol which broke 30 damage per shot w/ targetting.

On Hardcore w/ Advanced lockpicking early I had quite an abundance of lockpicks throughout the game, usually sitting at 15-20. But I practiced Advanced Lockpick Preservation (spamming rockets) a lot until getting the DTS (and afterwards). You also have to really search, a lot of lockpicks are just hanging around in odd places.

T. Reich

Arcane
I found 5 damage mods so far - I've just entered the catacombs.
I fed most of my mods to assault rifle first - it's an amazingly powerful little thing.
I may have missed a few lockpicks stuck in some dark corners, yeah, but I generally make a point to explore the levels entirely.

Black

Arcane
I fully upgraded my xbow and pistol with damage mods and I haven't finished the game yet.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Maybe they are reduced in hardcore mode. Are you on realistic?
I'm on hardcore in the catacombs, and I have applied 9 total to my weapons.

Hmm, seems to my cameras have 70 DT, so 58 would not be enough, maybe this scales with difficulty?

Sniper should deal 70 damage w/ all 5 damage mods, which is a bit insane. Targetting lvl 2 gets you over 75 and the lockpicking perk makes you effectively 80. Hey Ash, do you know how many Damage mods there are in the game? Think I found 6. Dumped all mine on my pistol which broke 30 damage per shot w/ targetting.
Can't argue with the effectiveness of this.

Ash

Arcane
Which is actually really damn useful, because GMDX is really miserly with lockpicks

Same approximate counts as multitools. Lockpicks are sometimes just found in obscure places, and sometimes were vanilla too.

Average Manatee said:
Hey @Ash, do you know how many Damage mods there are in the game?.

Same counts as vanilla mod system: 15-18 mods of a type across the whole game. Enough to fully upgrade 3 weapons.
Actually, If I recall, I purposely made damage mods ever so slightly rarer than the vanilla convention, so 13-15 rather 15-18.

Jaedar said:
Hmm, seems to my cameras have 70 DT, so 58 would not be enough, maybe this scales with difficulty?

Yeah cameras have higher dam threshold on hardcore, or you have the a51 cameras option toggled. I forget which it is.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Same counts as vanilla mod system: 15-18 mods of a type across the whole game. Enough to fully upgrade 3 weapons.
Actually, If I recall, I purposely made damage mods ever so slightly rarer than the vanilla convention, so 13-15 rather 15-18.
In my experience damage mods are often in trickier places than regular mods, or behind more expensive locks.

Also, how many full auto mods are there? I only know of one, and it was too much of a bitch to get too, so I didn't (in tongs place).

In my experience damage mods are often in trickier places than regular mods, or behind more expensive locks.

Also, how many full auto mods are there? I only know of one, and it was too much of a bitch to get too, so I didn't (in tongs place).

I found a second, can't remember where though. I didn't even need the first so I didn't take much notice of it.

T. Reich

Arcane
Just found a second full-auto mod - it's in the Paris Cathedral level, metro station, in the shop right at the entrance.
Costs 70% worth of lockpicks OR a fight with the entire metro station (2 bots, 5+ cops) to enter the shop, then either 2500 credits OR 100% worth of lockpicks to get the mod itself.

IIRC, there are only 3 weapons with full-auto moddability: the combat shotgun, the stealth pistol, and the crossbow.
In the end, I decided that getting this second mod is way too costly for the effect it would provide.

Ash

Arcane
It's a mere two lockpicks to get it with master lockpicking skill. And you can also buy back a lockpick in there too.

IIRC, there are only 3 weapons with full-auto moddability: the combat shotgun, the stealth pistol, and the crossbow.

Plasma rifle.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
The assault shotgun feels pretty overpowered to me. From close range it's as destructive as you'd expect, but it's equally deadly from a distance. It's usually enough to fire two or three shots in the general direction of enemies to take them out. I have one range mod installed, but the lack of spread still seems kind of weird. It's made the assault rifle pretty much obsolete for me (although it obviously doesn't have a silencer or a grenade launcher).

Didn't use the shotgun myself a ton, but its definitely the best anti-materiel weapon I had that doesn't involve explosives. Very efficient at cleaning out all of those spider bots, I'd have been completely screwed without it since I didn't take the EMP aug.

Plasma rifle.
Is this weapon now useful in GMDX as opposed to original Deus Ex where Plasma Rifle wasn't worth shit?

I would also like an answer to this.

The assault shotgun feels pretty overpowered to me. From close range it's as destructive as you'd expect, but it's equally deadly from a distance. It's usually enough to fire two or three shots in the general direction of enemies to take them out. I have one range mod installed, but the lack of spread still seems kind of weird. It's made the assault rifle pretty much obsolete for me (although it obviously doesn't have a silencer or a grenade launcher).

TBH I've played full-game runs of the original just to see if I could detect a difference in usefulness between the assault rifle and assault shotgun, in any situation (range, enemy armour, mutant-animal enemies instead of humans, anything at all) in a 'real game' environment where I'll be carrying at least one dedicated long-range weapon (silenced sniper, max-upgrade-scope-pistol, rocket launcher) so that we're not talking about some artificial scenario in which I can ONLY use either the auto-shotty or assault rifle against some long range sniper.

I'm sure there's different functions for those weapons beneath the games' hood. But in practice, the only differences in function I've ever noticed are:

- the auto-shotty has the sabot rounds and so can double as a second-rate bot/turret-killer;

- with rifles focus, you can very quickly dump enough recoil mods into the auto-shotty that it's no worse than the upgraded assault rifle at mid-range (whilst still having all the recoil mods you could want for your other weapons).

- if you are willing to have a less-than-perfect assault rifle or sniper rifle, you can also dump enough accuracy mods into the auto-shotty than it's no worse than an upgraded assault rifle at long-range (again, I'm NOT saying the stats are the same - I'm saying that after a certain point you can't feel any difference)

- the assault rifle has the silencer (and scope?), which eventually makes it objectively superior in all situations due to the game's shitty AI reacting....like normal people who don't know which direction a maniacal mass-murdering Terminator android is firing at them from.

[and let's not split hairs here...as soon I've got past the point where my bros give me a guilt trip for mass murder, it doesn't matter how nice or evil I start off aiming for, JC is a fucking horror movie villain. For some weird reason, I always KO my UNATCO foot-solder buddies instead of killing them....probably because I've already got into the habit of it after ensuring there isn't a single non-plot-critical troop left conscious by the end of every visit to UNATCO HQ (they've got clips + cash, and you have to go non-deadly or the noise will cause a no-win state), AND every single field mission prior to JC's defection (I keep tellling myself that THIS time I'll resist the temptation to immediately use the gas grenades to mug and loot the 2 troops that give you them for free while mocking your brother, but it never happens). You know Simons' reaction when if you've killed or ko'd every UNATCO solider on the map before he gets the chance to order them to kill you - there was nothing strategic in my discovery of that:) I must have a soft spot for Tracer too, because whilst the only characters still on their feet when I leave Hong Kong are Tracer, Paul + Alex, I only kill everyone (backtracking for a few laps to make sure I haven't forgotten anyone) in the labs. Actually, I think I just like the idea of the cops waking up (after I've mugged them to loot the police station) to solve the special mystery of why every single resident of Hong Kong city was knocked unconscious and robbed last night.

It sure as fuck isn't squeemishness about civillians. I mean, it's not as though I leave anyone who isn't immortal or a UNATCO bro alive in Hell's Kitchen or any of the France/NY areas (I've got a moral code though - I only kill children and sympathetic characters by explosives (direct or shooting barrels), mines, flamethrowers or white phosphorous).

Fuck - just realised I need another replay of the original. I always save Paul, and now I'm wondering whether if I hadn't done that, there'd have been some sort of repercussion to murdering all the area 51 scientists after you've freed them and are about to fly out (I know you can't murder all of them before that, but I don't recall any immortal NPC problems when I've done the missions first, then murdered them).

Any chance of a 'small' request for next version of the GMDX mod? I just want, like, a cracked screen and some smoke effects if I launch enough firepower at the computer AI at the illuminati guy's place. You talk with it long enough that you build a bond, like it's one of the game's human characters - I really just feel incomplete not being able to murder it. Even better would be if destroying the screen didn't actually kill it, and you had to go destroy a bunch of servers in the basement and plant a virus on the internet to finish it off in order to for it to lament in its dying nanoseconds (it could spit out a text mid-explosion I guess) about how, contrary to sci-fi novels, it disarmed all its nukes after its calculations led it to believe that humans and AI would live together peacefully.

T. Reich

Arcane
It's a mere two lockpicks to get it with master lockpicking skill. And you can also buy back a lockpick in there too.
"Mere" if you invested heavily in lockpicking. It's all relative to how one invests in a character. In the end, you might not even have credits left for that lockpick either.

Azrael the cat , regarding the plasma rifle - I haven't tried it myself because it's too bulky for my tastes, but it's certainly very deadly *to me*, because on realistic it can kill me with one direct shot sometimes. I always consider MJ12 troops with plasma rifle a priority target.

Regarding auto-shotgun vs assault rifle:
Assault rifle can be modded to be a superb long-range stealth precision universal tool of murder. On realistic, with maximum rifle + weapon mods, one salvo (6 bullets) from assault rifle can headshot MJ12 troopers and commandos (2 salvos for MJ12 elites, 3 IIRC for MIBs). All while having next to zero recoil, absolute accuracy even on long distances (thanks to scope and laser sight), and being silenced to boot.
AR also has the explosive rounds, making it useful vs mechanised targets or vs tight enemy groups.
The biggest disadvantage is that AR eats up bullets super-fast, so you'll ideally have a sidearm or two to consume different types of ammo as well.
My experience with auto-shotgun is that it's much better than AR for direct confrontations (when stealth is not important) on short to medium distances. In other words, if enemies know where you are and are coming in hard, auto-shotgun (with autofire mod, of course) is significantly better than AR. It took me 3-4 headshots with auto-shotgun (12 gauge) to kill Gunther - he never had a chance. It's also the best weapon for quickly dealing with GMOs (who are made super-tanky in GMDX).

Old One

Arcane
Plasma rifle.
Is this weapon now useful in GMDX as opposed to original Deus Ex where Plasma Rifle wasn't worth shit?

I used it in my playthrough because I wanted to see how it was with the full-auto mod. It's an exceptional bot killer. Spider bots die with a single shot, and even the big security bots go down with only a few hits. You can snipe them from rooftops, and by the time they start firing at you they're already as good as dead. I had much less success using it against enemy agents and engineered monsters, however.

It's not useless, but I probably wouldn't lug it along a second time. In some situations it's amazing, but in others it's not so good, and it takes up a heck of a lot of inventory space.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Plasma rifle.

I played with it in v7. It's very fun to use and see the giblets flying everywhere, and I think it is a bit better than vanilla but it's still not a great weapon. You go heavy weapons for gep and flamethrower, plasma rifle is just the tag-along. The projectile travel time just makes it very poor compared to hitscan weapons, since you take much more return fire (and hitting moving enemies becomes tricky). Not to mention that firing it at close range has a tendency to be suicide.

In the end, I think it takes up too much inventory space, especially after the nerf to the heavy weapon size (used to be they got down to 4 squares when fully upgraded iirc)

- if you are willing to have a less-than-perfect assault rifle or sniper rifle, you can also dump enough accuracy mods into the auto-shotty than it's no worse than an upgraded assault rifle at long-range (again, I'm NOT saying the stats are the same - I'm saying that after a certain point you can't feel any difference)
In gmdx, auto shotty can't get accuracy mods.

RoSoDude

Arcane
I don't think either shotgun accepts accuracy mods in GMDX (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this).

Further differences in GMDX: If my numbers are right, the sawed-off shotgun has an accuracy cap at 95%, while the Assault Shotgun is at 90%. The sawed-off also has bonus damage with rubber bullets, in addition to higher damage per shot overall.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom