Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Who would like the CSG to be 2d or non-rotatable?

I would prefer the new CSG to have the following perspective-

• Full 3d with rotating camera (AoD and NWN)

• 2d (i.e. Fallout), Hybrid (ToEE, PoE), or fixed camera 3d (D:OS)

Results are only viewable after voting.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I like to know what's going on in combat and align the necessary camera angle myself.

Usability > Graphics.
But Feasibility > Usability, and VD has made clear that going 2D is not feasible, right?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Well, I just want the game to get made. "You should switch your engine approach" to a developer is basically a way of saying, "I'd rather wait another couple years for CSG, and maybe never get it at all."

Tigranes

Arcane
I don't want VD to switch the engine, and the 3d cam didn't bother me too much in AOD. In an ideal world, it'd just be fixed cam without changing the engine.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I don't want VD to switch the engine, and the 3d cam didn't bother me too much in AOD. In an ideal world, it'd just be fixed cam without changing the engine.
No, you do want. You just don't know yet. The engine was one of the things that delayed and damaged AoD's development in different fronts.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
It didn't.

Nick said:
Months of our development time went into fixing stuff that should've been working out of the box or adding generic functionality that's not there only because the engine is a first person shooter engine and is built that way. Just two days ago I fixed a core Torque bug with memory management that's been there from the beginning of the century, and noone ever noticed it because there were no projects of AoD's (or DS) scale on build Torque. So, "knowing the engine" in my case is knowing how to fix that rusty old car on a daily basis. And even though I know that life is suffering, I'd prefer if there was less suffering and more game-related code, rather than crutches that keep the engine from falling apart.

"Sooner or later the switch is imminent. Torque is losing the battle, it desperately tries to catch up with heavy weight players, but it can't. Its heritage is dragging it down - starting from the above-mentioned number of bugs and compatibility, to the lack of integrated features: pathfinding library, physics, inverse kinematics, level-editing and world-crafting options, modern rendering engine. All those tools, conveniently integrated and ready to be at at our disposal, like SpeedTree or visual scripting. Then there is optimization: Torque is choking on our amount of resources and FPS count we get frequently dives below 20, which is nearly inappropriate for our nice, but modest graphics (Far Cry 4 gives me 40-60 on ultra settings, a game released just 3 months ago). But the main thing is that Torque essentially is just a code for a shooter game with editors slapped over it later. Unity or UE4 are software development kits, developed by a huge and successful company which makes a huge difference."

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Nick said:
Months of our development time went into fixing stuff that should've been working out of the box or adding generic functionality that's not there only because the engine is a first person shooter engine and is built that way.
I'm pretty sure we'd spend months fixing some Unreal 4 issues. The main reason the game took so long was the amount of content and complex scripting.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Regarding camera, we implemented "wall hiding", so if a wall is obscuring a character, it disappears. We are still working on the visuals, but the system is already done. So there's no need to constantly rotate the camera.

Regarding camera, we implemented "wall hiding", so if a wall is obscuring a character, it disappears. We are still working on the visuals, but the system is already done. So there's no need to constantly rotate the camera.

I will hold you to that. And then curse you every time I need to rotate the camera.

How about giving us a parallel projection option? Equal degree of interaction throughout the screen. With perspective, interaction with objects and characters and differentiation of interaction between them varies depending on angles and FOV, often in annoying ways as near every 3D game with isometric perspective to date demonstrates.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom