Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is there any game that you guys DON'T hate?

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive

Shin

Cipher
how about Quake 3? I don't think anyone hates quake 3... there might be some retards around who'd say UT was the superior game, but nobody hates it I'm pretty sure. Also... Deux Ex? I haven't ever heard of a human being hating deus ex.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
RPG Codex Top 70 PC RPGs

From that list, everyone here probably loves at least one game in the top 5, and quite a few in the top 20.

There is a very marked schism between combatfags and storyfags here, and we can't seem to agree on what an RPG is.
Fuck all those pompous stories and unrealistic violence!Give me a cookie clicker rpg with 582 level to gain!

Ash

Arcane
If you don't include Eastern story based RPGs, console RPGs like bioware's, all out open RPGs like Elder Scrolls (not comenting on your opinion of Oblivion, never played it so I can't say) action RPGs(understandable), text based, or old classics that made the genre popular to begin with (D&D) then what type of RPGs are there?

Get out.

Also major necro! And 2005 was a terrible year for RPGs so what else does one expect?

how about Quake 3? I don't think anyone hates quake 3... there might be some retards around who'd say UT was the superior game, but nobody hates it I'm pretty sure. Also... Deux Ex? I haven't ever heard of a human being hating deus ex.

Q3 was a bit of a disappointment for me in that it didn't really have a SP campaign.
And there are a number of edgelords who dislike DX because they miss the point spectacularly...or they're like OP here and don't like action RPGs.

Last edited:

Abhay

Augur
... but literally every thing RPG related gets immediatelly shot down by you guys.
I disagree.
Yes, you can say that the folks here are a lot more critical than seen in other forums dominated by "if you don't like it, then don't play" crowd that can't even tolerate "criticisms" for stupid reasons like "game is too old, now move on", "you are not obliged to buy it", "don't come in this topic with negativity, let those who like the game have a positive discussion", etc.. Take a look at GTAForums. Its so toxic, and intolerant towards criticisms of their favorite GTA's that they are always at loggerheads with each other [ 3Dera vs HDera - SA vs GTA IV - GTA IV vs GTA V ] that I can't even have a difference of opinion without being accused of bias, 3Dera/SA fanboy, etc. Constructive criticisms with logical and justified reasons is something hard to express in GTAForums, compared to RPGCodex where members actually spend a lot of efforts, and time to explain their views and opinions in great amount of details, which makes a lot more engaging to read for members like me. I have learned ( and still keep learning ) so many things about RPG and gaming in general from various different points of view, recounts of personal experiences, and sharing the criticisms which are evaluated by the members from several different perspectives. The discussions here are a lot more engaging than anything seen in other forums. You have the freedom to criticize anything without being attacked by a group of Rockstar fanboys labelling you as a troll, and not allowing you to criticise their favorite games.
If you don't like reading "criticisms" about any RPG here, then I think you're in the wrong forum because codex is known for not mincing words, rather straight and blunt no matter how any "fanboy" may feel.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Just out of curiousity, is there any game you guys don't hate?

There is a widely accepted Codex Consesus that Pillars of Eternity by star developer Josh Sawyer is a modern classic and one of the greatest RPGs of all time. Aside from that, you will have trouble finding people agreeing on anything, particularly controversial shite like Planetescape: Tournament or the terrible first Fallout.

Did you mean Josh Sawyer, the prince, called of Bel he is, making riches and increase, enriching Nippur and Dur-ilu beyond compare, sublime patron of E-kur; who reestablished Eridu and purified the worship of E-apsu; who conquered the four quarters of the world, made great the name of Babylon, rejoiced the heart of Marduk, his lord who daily pays his devotions in Saggil; the royal scion whom Sin made; who enriched Ur; the humble, the reverent, who brings wealth to Gish-shir-gal; the white king, heard of Shamash, the mighty, who again laid the foundations of Sippara; who clothed the gravestones of Malkat with green; who made E-babbar great, which is like the heavens, the warrior who guarded Larsa and renewed E-babbar, with Shamash as his helper; the lord who granted new life to Uruk, who brought plenteous water to its inhabitants, raised the head of E-anna, and perfected the beauty of Anu and Nana; shield of the land, who reunited the scattered inhabitants of Isin; who richly endowed E-gal-mach; the protecting king of the city, brother of the god Zamama; who firmly founded the farms of Kish, crowned E-me-te-ursag with glory, redoubled the great holy treasures of Nana, managed the temple of Harsag-kalama; the grave of the enemy, whose help brought about the victory; who increased the power of Cuthah; made all glorious in E-shidlam, the black steer, who gored the enemy; beloved of the god Nebo, who rejoiced the inhabitants of Borsippa, the Sublime; who is indefatigable for E-zida; the divine king of the city; the White, Wise; who broadened the fields of Dilbat, who heaped up the harvests for Urash; the Mighty, the lord to whom come scepter and crown, with which he clothes himself; the Elect of Ma-ma; who fixed the temple bounds of Kesh, who made rich the holy feasts of Nin-tu; the provident, solicitous, who provided food and drink for Lagash and Girsu, who provided large sacrificial offerings for the temple of Ningirsu; who captured the enemy, the Elect of the oracle who fulfilled the prediction of Hallab, who rejoiced the heart of Anunit; the pure prince, whose prayer is accepted by Adad; who satisfied the heart of Adad, the warrior, in Karkar, who restored the vessels for worship in E-ud-gal-gal; the king who granted life to the city of Adab; the guide of E-mach; the princely king of the city, the irresistible warrior, who granted life to the inhabitants of Mashkanshabri, and brought abundance to the temple of Shidlam; the White, Potent, who penetrated the secret cave of the bandits, saved the inhabitants of Malka from misfortune, and fixed their home fast in wealth; who established pure sacrificial gifts for Ea and Dam-gal-nun-na, who made his kingdom everlastingly great; the princely king of the city, who subjected the districts on the Ud-kib-nun-na Canal to the sway of Dagon, his Creator; who spared the inhabitants of Mera and Tutul; the sublime prince, who makes the face of Ninni shine; who presents holy meals to the divinity of Nin-a-zu, who cared for its inhabitants in their need, provided a portion for them in Babylon in peace; the shepherd of the oppressed and of the slaves; whose deeds find favor before Anunit, who provided for Anunit in the temple of Dumash in the suburb of Agade; who recognizes the right, who rules by law; who gave back to the city of Ashur its protecting god; who let the name of Ishtar of Nineveh remain in E-mish-mish; the Sublime, who humbles himself before the great gods; successor of Sumula-il; the mighty son of Sin-muballit; the royal scion of Eternity; the mighty monarch, the sun of Babylon, whose rays shed light over the land of Sumer and Akkad; the king, obeyed by the four quarters of the world; Beloved of Ninni.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Just out of curiousity, is there any game you guys don't hate?

There is a widely accepted Codex Consesus that Pillars of Eternitcy by star developer Josh Sawyer is a modern classic and one of the greatest RPGs of all time. Aside from that, you will have trouble finding people agreeing on anything, partiularly controversial shite like Planetescape: Tournament or the terrible first Fallout.
Actually Planescape: Torment is controversial on the Codex. Just saying.

jaydee2k

Savant
How can you speak of open world and not mention Gothic 2? There wasn't better open world in any rpg, period.
Easy now, If Gothic 1 or 2 has the better open world is a matter of taste...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom