Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is there any game that you guys DON'T hate?

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
IV is non-ironically my favorite FF. Followed closely by the first one.

Zeriel

Arcane
What I like about these necro's is looking back at the old guys who used to post.

Take Human Shield for example. He made 2,000 posts over ten years (2003 - 2013) then just packed it in. Why? What drove him away? Or is he still here with a new username? I want to know dammit!

You're ignoring the most likely possibility: he is dead, and hence can no longer post. If I ever stop posting on the Codex, it's because I'm six feet under.

Remember, you're here forever.

Man, revisiting those old threads is a blast. I remember getting a new asshole ripped for praising Morrowind. Back then, all I heard was "Oh, it's dumbed down...Daggerfall was so much better." Looking at the forums now, it's funny to see people say "Oh Morrowind is the shit, everything else after that was dumbed down." Those were the times. Codex hatred at its finest. And FYI - the only game the codex does not hate is the original Fallout. BG and Torment were adventure games masquerading as RPGs. Geneforge was the shit. That's all I can recall for now.
Exactly. They still are. Whatever, this forum has turned into IE fanbois and ppl will rate me edgy for saying that.
Didn't the Codex always consist of Infinity Engine fanboys, to a considerable extent? Of course, the 2002 Codex did have enough sense to pick Morrowind as its 2nd-best RPG of the Year, behind only Geneforge. +M Evidence that many early Codexers rejected Biowarean decline.

Original, virginal Codex was composed of Arcanum fans, mostly. One of the big and early exoduses to Codex was when Sierra shut down its forums and IGN shut down the VN Arcanum forums. I was a VN Arcanum transplant myself, and if you knew my VN Arcanum username you could find my first account on here. Arcanum fans were basically Troika/Fallout fans, so it makes sense. One of the first holy wars was over whether BG was a shit adventure game, or a fun sort-of RPG. I don't think very many people ever thought it was perfect, though. I joined in 2002, but I can't remember whether the BG holy wars predated the great battle between the Cave Troll Volourn and the brave knights of Grognardia over the release of NWN, or whether the BG holy wars were a past-time we engaged in afterwards in the wastelands of despair wrought by NWN.

There is a refreshing vigor to early posts on the Codex. People still cared. Witness this manifesto by a young philosopher known only as Metalwyrm:

ok, so I kinda skipped most of the thread
but shimsinshsisnsn
whatever the fuck your name is

you are quite the idiot
look at the greatest difference between TB and RT

in TB you always have some type of system that has Action Points, which determine just HOW MUCH you can do during in a turn

does RT have that? noooooo
in RT, how much you can do is determined on how fast your character moves
so if your character's gun animation is faster than the enemy's, he will shoot faster
so speed is based on animation, rather than actual speed like it is in a TB system

damn you're stupid
go download the stfu bible

edit:
and if you think Phase Based = Turn Based you are SERIOUSLY wrong

SERIOUSLY wrong

Last edited:
JA2 and Underrail are probably the least complained about games here.

All the other classics are worshiped here but even they arent immune to some form of fundamental flaw, eg: fallout, torment, witcher et al have shite combat or some other sand that gets into the codex's collective vagina.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
The Witcher series is crap.

The first one was a struggle against tedium until I gave up towards the end. The second was a bewildering mess until I gave up after about two hours. Only played three for long enough to prove I could get it to work under Wine, but I don't utterly hate it yet.

Zeriel

Arcane
Open world games are shit. Being the least shittiest version of them means Witcher 3 still has a pretty high amount of fecal matter.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
The oldest thing I remember here was a bit of hype over "The Fall - the Last Days of Gaya". So considering how much this sucked the Codexers of old were not totally immune to dumbfuckery either.

I can not remember what exactly they were discussing at the time except that it was often funny because of the lack of word filters. After lurking for 2 years I kind of fled here because my freedom of expression was increasingly stymied everywhere else, and when the new batch of consolified games came out in 2006 most communities I had been to split in half.

That was the end of the great era of PC gaming basically. I also guess that many of the people I had been with before quit gaming at this time, and it would have been better to do just that; but here I am :lol:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Open world games are shit.
I don't really get this meme. You think the entire Might & Magic series, Fallout 1&2, Disciples of Steel, Death knights of Krynn, Dark Sun : Shattered Lands, Blade of destiny, Quest for glory 1&4, Legend of Faerghail, ... are all shit?

Mustawd

I don't really get this meme. You think the entire Might & Magic series, Fallout 1&2, Disciples of Steel, Death knights of Krynn, Dark Sun : Shattered Lands, Blade of destiny, Quest for glory 1&4, Legend of Faerghail, ... are all shit?

He probably means the modern equivalent. Which are indeed just huge sandboxes filled with MMO-like content.

Zeriel

Arcane

Might and Magic, Wizardry, etc, aren't open world games. They are "RPGs". Back then we just made massive RPGs chockful of meaningful content without worrying about assurances that "that's totally impossible man, if you want lots of content it has to be filler". Now they make large games with no content. "Open world game" is a modern marketing term for a specific type of game that could not be more different from Might & Magic if it tried.

Unwanted

Janise

Unwanted
Yeah. Gameplay free larp garbage. Self masturbatory number growers. Idiotic stories for nerdy manchildren. Utter fucking garbage.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Though this isn't a problem of open world games but how they are made.

Take a world the size of Arma III and fill it with real, persistent, manipulable objects and emergent gameplay, and people would play this for the next 100 years. But instead it's much cheaper to cut corners with Potemkin villages where you are not doing anything, just walking around like a visitor in a museum. For totally incomprehensible reasons, people don't look through this and play these games (GTA5, Witcher3) like a religion.

It must be said some good games like Mafia were also culprits in this respect, and deserve the same criticism. The new Vavra game Kingdom Come Deliverance goes down that same rabbit hole, in which you have an open world with great attention to detail but get cockblocked when you cannot even pick up a fucking apple or an egg.

And don't tell me it is because of technology because that's a joke. The possibilites with today's hardware are almost limitless and all this was already done better in Ultima VII with 4-8 Megabyte RAM.

This was also why I enjoyed Morrowind a lot. although it was a shitty game in a completely retarded world, it gave a little glimpse of what a real simulationist persistent world could entail, technologically about halfway between 386 that Ultima VII used and the 4000 Mhz CPUs of today.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I think when codex talks about "open world games" they mean "open world games" as the mainstream knows it... Free-roaming games that began with GTA 3...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I dare say that i speak from everyone on the codex when i say:We fucking love a survival "rpg" with a lot of crafting,that is in early access and is made in unity!

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I think we can all agree that Rance V is the God's grace that saved CRPG's in current, past and future form.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom