Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Quatlo

Arcane
I've yet to check out the new lore - I didn't get a CB key... as usual.:argh:
Oh man, I'm on a total internet blackout when it comes to PoE except this thread and my discord channel where I know noone wants to spoil the acts for themselves :D

I was always a huge lorefag in hack and slash games, I loved wandering around and talking to npcs in D2 as a 9 year old kid, it still gets me nostalgic as fuck, and not only me, a lot of my friends share that sentiment and wished there would be more instead of just simple snippets for most npc's, so PoE is way better in that regard since you get Quest Start, Quest in Progress, Quest Finished dialogue + flavour text on items and loredumps you find in various areas. I just love it. Look how many lorefags Dark Souls spawned, its almost the same way of telling a story.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
As I said you dont need to if you stack trigger radius.
as you can generate power charges with specific tree node
It does if you pick EB. You might even be able to drop mana regen and reserve all your mana.
First of all, EB is not an option. Most trappers go hybrid or CI, so EB is off the table. Even for a pure life-build EB+this chest isn't gonna help on the mana-front since you'd have to invest in some ES items and/or ES nodes, which you cannot afford. Just get vaal clarity, trappers have an abundance of free sockets anyway.
While most of the points do make sense theoretically, they dont make sense anymore once you start to figure out a tree. Trigger radius is on the lower side of the tree, which you generally try to avoid as a trapper. While this chest does enable the use of frenzy charges more easily, it wasn't the lack of frenzy-buildup that kept trappers from using them. Southbound+Poachers mark work in a pinch, so does Victarios Acuity. Since you only wanted frenzycharges for double-dipping, you are already playing an ailment build so both of these options were available already. Its the placement of frenzy-charges in the tree that keeps you from getting them, same as the trigger radius, and the opportunity cost of not being able to get another curse, more AoE and/or more damage from the witch/templar side. Trappers get almost their entire damage off the tree, not gear, which is why any problems you encounter in your build you try to solve with uniques and gems, not passives.
This chest solves the issue of generating frenzy charges, but that wasn't ever really a problem. It also helps regenerating life/ES, but trappers didn't really care about that except when you were doing endgame bosses, where the comparably small regen is not gonna be of much help. When you get hit for 4k+ ES/Life, that amount of regen is not ganne help you survive the next hit. Not getting hit was always the key. You could generate those frenzies and self-cast phase-run but that just feels clunky. As already mentioned the regeneration mechanic is counter-intuitive to the major trapper-ascendancy aswell as sunblast and any non-saboteur build simply cannot afford to pick-up trigger radius since its either a poison-scaling occultist that gets Vile Bastion regen or an assassin that needs the crit and power charges from witch/templar. Neither of which can afford to even get as far down in the tree as acrobatics. Even those very few Phase-Acro trap builds rarely pick up Expeditious Munitions, let alone Master Sapper.

I don't like uniques that are clearly designed for a single niche of builds but work in a counter-intuitive way to how these builds are actually played.

Last edited:

Saark

Arcane
Patron
with CI getting gutted, ES numbers tuned down and insta es leech erased, do you think lowlife builds will be a way people that already have nice es gear will turn to?
For most people going lowlife was the final step towards finishing their build, CI was just a stepping stone. Thanks to pain attunement, more auras and possibly RF, lowlife was a gigantic increase in DPS. Gearing a successful LL build was already harder than CI and this will not change in 3.0, it might actually get worse. Which is a good thing, because the amount of DPS you could get by just switching from CI to LL was ridiculous.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
And when, for some reason, they don't get triggered you're standing there with no ES remaining, unable to cast any spells, trying to avoid any damage until your ES recharge slowly refills so you can eventually kill some more stuff. Sorry, but that's just not gonna work on HC.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
Oh man, I'm on a total internet blackout when it comes to PoE except this thread and my discord channel where I know noone wants to spoil the acts for themselves :D

I was always a huge lorefag in hack and slash games, I loved wandering around and talking to npcs in D2 as a 9 year old kid, it still gets me nostalgic as fuck, and not only me, a lot of my friends share that sentiment and wished there would be more instead of just simple snippets for most npc's, so PoE is way better in that regard since you get Quest Start, Quest in Progress, Quest Finished dialogue + flavour text on items and loredumps you find in various areas. I just love it. Look how many lorefags Dark Souls spawned, its almost the same way of telling a story.

Same with me. I'm a huge fan of the minimalistic style of storytelling in video games, where the story and lore is there but it isn't shoved down through cut-scenes but dialogue and snippets of lore sprinkled though out the game.

I'm completely ignoring the beta since I want to play through all the new acts in one go when the game launches. Probably going to play as a Ranger since I never tried a bow and arrow build in this game before. Plus she's hot.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Shes a lesbian though.

As far as lore is concerned I'm in the same boat, I like how most of the story gets told through small snippets you find around the world, short dialogues and most importantly item flavor text. Piecing it all together is way more interesting that way, and people that don't care about the lore of the game don't really get bothered by having it shoved in their faces. I especially liked the comics, seeing certain important characters and them actually wearing their respective items that you've seen ingame hundreds of times already was pretty great. The origin stories were good too, though I didn't enjoy them as much.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Shes a lesbian though.

As far as lore is concerned I'm in the same boat, I like how most of the story gets told through small snippets you find around the world, short dialogues and most importantly item flavor text. Piecing it all together is way more interesting that way, and people that don't care about the lore of the game don't really get bothered by having it shoved in their faces. I especially liked the comics, seeing certain important characters and them actually wearing their respective items that you've seen ingame hundreds of times already was pretty great. The origin stories were good too, though I didn't enjoy them as much.
So what. If I was a woman in RL I would be a lesbian as well :D Men are ugly and hairy and stinky.

Hyperion

Arcane
Shock / Chill / Power Charge / Frenzy Charge changes from Mark_GGG

This patch included the new changes to Shock and Chill - here's a quick explaination of what changed.

Previously, Chill always slowed it's target by 30%, and Shock always increased damage taken by 50%. The amount of cold or lightning damage in the hit that caused the ailment, compared to the maximum life of the target, determined how long they would last.

Chill no longer slows enemies by a fixed amount for a variable duration. Now, Chill will slow enemies for a duration of 4 seconds by an amount based on the Cold damage dealt to the enemy. A purely Cold hit which removes 50% of an enemy's life will slow that enemy by 30% for 4 seconds, scaling linearly down to 0% at no Cold damage dealt.
Similarly, Shock no longer increases the damage taken by enemies by a fixed amount for a variable duration. Now, Shock will apply to enemies for a duration of 4 seconds and increase the amount of damage the shocked enemy takes based on the Lightning damage dealt to the enemy. A purely Lightning hit which removes 50% of an enemy's life will increase the damage that enemy takes by 50% for 4 seconds, scaling linearly down to 0% at no Lightning damage dealt. Shock is still only applied by critical strikes or based on your chance to shock.

These changes make it easier for build that focus on bonuses against enemies that are Shocked or Chilled to use those effects against high-life enemies, particularly bosses.

These maximum magnidues for these ailments applay even in cases where you have stats that would increase the effect. This means that a player with 100% Increased Effect of Chill will only have to remove 25% of a monster's life with Cold damage to slow them by the maximum 30%, because this hit would normally slow by 15%, and that value is increased by 100%. Increasing the effect of Chill further, or dealing more Cold Damage, will not slow the monster more - it will just make it easier to reach that 30% cap. Shock, with a cap of 50% increased Damage taken, works the same way.

Hits that would shock or chill for less than 5% of the ailment's effect are ignored - i.e. a Chill that would only slow an enemy by 4% will not be applied.

Chilled Ground, or any Chill not caused by a Hits, has a slowing effect of 10%, unless otherwise specified.
Shocked Ground, or any Shock not caused by a Hit increases damage taken by 20%, unless otherwise specified.

There are new reminder texts for Shock and Chill so you can see these values in game, but they may not be applied to all the correct stats yet.

Another quick note: Power Charges now grant 30% increased Critical Strike Chance per charge (down from 50%) and 4% more Spell Damage per charge,
and Frenzy Charges now grant 4% more damage with Attack skills (as opposed to 4% more Damage). You can see these changes in the Charges page of the Charcter Panel.
Kind of a rough change, and people are certainly not happy.

Other Changes:
8mctkcu8s7cz.png

a41rFfP6St20tBpsOymG5g.png

Qai1TUx.png

92sEnPB.jpg

Hyperion

Arcane
Gem Changes:
  • Rapid Decay is now called Swift Demise
  • Ice Bite now adds flat cold damage and cold damage per frenzy charge
  • Arcane Surge now activates when you spend X mana with supported skills
  • Ruthless now procs every third hit
  • Innervate now grants a buff called 'Innervation' that adds lightning damage for 4 seconds upon killing a shocked enemy, gem adds flat lightning damage in addition
  • Immolate now adds 42-63 fire damage to burning enemies at level 1
  • Unbound Ailments now gives 20% more ailment damage at level 1
  • Chain now only deals less damage with *hits*
As usual, stolen from the nerds on Reddit, because I'm avoiding the closed beta for a fresh game experience. Other things of note - Currency Tabs are being expanded, lots of changes in the labyrinth like Darkshrine effects, eternal laboratory opens up in Act 8...

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Strange changes for both chill and shock. Were they really that useful? Trash mobs already die before any freezing/shocking effect in endgame and high tier bosses are already nearly immune such debuffs.
And they nerfed it further ?!

Something like diminishing returns would have made much more sense imho. Or special boss moves if you shock/freeze them.

Edit:

I quite like what I read about new harbinger league. New orbs and shards for everything! Also phat loot (which I only get from poetrade...)

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1927546

2. edit:
From GGG forums :D
WoW that's amazing, so your saying if i drop a mob to 50% in one hit, it will get shocked and take 50% more dmg?
What's the fking point?? If i can drop it to 50% in one hit, it's gonna die in the next hit anyway, which makes shock fking useless.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Strange changes for both chill and shock. Were they really that useful? Trash mobs already die before any freezing/shocking effect in endgame and high tier bosses are already nearly immune such debuffs.
And they nerfed it further ?!

Something like diminishing returns would have made much more sense imho. Or special boss moves if you shock/freeze them.

Edit:

I quite like what I read about new harbinger league. New orbs and shards for everything! Also phat loot (which I only get from poetrade...)

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1927546

2. edit:
From GGG forums :D
WoW that's amazing, so your saying if i drop a mob to 50% in one hit, it will get shocked and take 50% more dmg?
What's the fking point?? If i can drop it to 50% in one hit, it's gonna die in the next hit anyway, which makes shock fking useless.
in 3.0 all bosses lost elemental status immunities. Some are only resistant to some of these.

T. Reich

Arcane
My current take on the last wave of changes:
1) They keep killing off crit and dot ailments - fine with me, those have been way too strong for way too long. I'm pretty sure post-3.0.0 we wil leventually see them re-buffed somewhat. It certainly is refreshing.
2) The utility flasks and flask passives are getting nerfed - about fucking time. Also, they didn't nerf Vessel of Vinktar hard enough - still has 20% leech SMH.
3) Life-based VP is going to be meta as fuck. Most likely the t1 ranger builds will be Signal Fire phys to ele conversion bow builds with Kaom's Heart because this way you: keep the 6L, keep the high life pool, keep the VP, keep the Vinktars, keep the HUGE damage from conversion mechanics. Nerfed crit is sadface, but it can still try to go for ele overload shenanigans.
4) The changes to power and frenzy charges are utterly retarded. They make no sense, they break a shitton of existing (and not-yet-existing, lol) uniques, they LIMIT the variety of builds. All round shit change.
5) Same goes for chill and shock changes. They dumped the intuitive "relative damage scales effect duration, effect strength is constant" mechanic, and turned it head over heels. The end result is that a) chill and shock are completely useless where they are needed most - vs tough targets (previously you could at least get micro-duration chill + shock on them and then benefit from those via rapid attacks), b) the description of shock and chill on items that grant those effects are now completely unintuitive and need to be clarified, c) the default effect strength of these ailments is severely reduced. Combine that with the fact that map bosses' HP got significantly higher, and you get two useless ailments. Three, if you count freeze and remember that crit (the usual way to get freeze) is getting nerfed hard, too.
6) Basically, all the elemental ailments are nearly useless as of right now, and using ele focus gem is a no-brainer now (as opposed to it having a large opportunity cost in 2.6.0 and earlier).

The Harbinger league looks super-bland, because it mostly combines the things we have already seen:
You encounter a Harbinger (tormented spirit + invader unique) that summons a powered-up pack of mobs (invader trash mobs + bloodlines + sorta-beyond). They drop fragmented loot (perandus + sorta-talisman + breach) that you have to combine to get something useful or to get to see the endgame content of the league, otherwise those fragments simply clutter up your stash real bad. Yawn.
At least it's not purple.
And the new orbs are at least theoretically interesting. Not as useful for vanilla leagues, but they are SUPER cool addition for SSF. That also goes for the now vendor-sold threshold jewels.

Hyperion

Arcane
Harbinger actually has potential. Being like Perandus is actually good as it was the last really intrusive league we got. And intrusive league mechanics are always better than shit like Essence, which can be completely avoided. Compounded with the inevitable overtuned league mechanics to start and you've got yourself lots of tears from casuls.

I don't really get the chill and shock changes, but they're saying it's gonna help against bosses? O-kay....
The charge change s the only one that's got me shaking my head. Frenzy charges were buffed in 2.0 because they sucked, and you guys JUST realized they're OP? And you decide the way to nerf them is to make them a poor choice for non-attack builds? Very silly. Just cut it from 4% more damage to 2% more, or 3% more or something. Or just remove the more multiplier altogether, and give us something different.

T. Reich

Arcane
Yeah, exactly.

The whole damn purpose of charges since the very inception of the game was that they give different things, but these things are useful for almost every build.
Endurance = defense, frenzy = speed (and later damage), power = crit.
Making the charges only useful for specific kind of builds is dumbing down the game and disrupting the concept of the charges in the first place.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well one good thing about charges change is that you can now collect power charges and combine the 4% more spell damage per power charge with Elemental Overload for a decent boost and not go for crit multi.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't really get the chill and shock changes, but they're saying it's gonna help against bosses? O-kay....

That's the funny part, especially after boss HP buff.
We need to deal at least %10 hP of a boss as pure cold/lightning damage to make chill/shock worthwhile. (guardians have 15+ million HP(?) already, so you just need pure 1,5 million damage per hit)
Well genuises, if I can already kill a boss in 10 fucking attacks both ailements are pretty useless for me anyways...

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
That's basically always been the case with ailments vs bosses though. The only reason shock was OP was vinktars/vaal trap which ignored hp totals. It doesn't matter if you killed the boss in 10 attacks or 100 attacks if those attacks had to happen in a 4 second window to keep the effect up.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Shock was pretty much an "all or nothing" kind of deal, with vinktars/vaal lightning trap providing a free 50% more multiplier. Nerfing those was necessary. As with any other ailment, if you want to use them more effectively against high-health monsters, you will have to invest into them, which is a good thing. It remains to be seen whether investing into high freeze/shock effectiveness is actually feasible, but its the same direction they took with stun-duration and it worked out quite well, with specific builds being able to perma-stun bosses and even guardians. The goal seems to be that ailments should be something you design your build around, not something you get for free at full effectiveness while doing whatever the hell you already did anyway.

The frenzy charge change is weird, there wasn't a whole lot of caster-builds that used them effectively and they are all cold-builds, none of which benefit from increased cast-speed. With the change to ice-bite the gem might at least not drop into obscurity.

New league is intriguing, a mix of invasion/torment/essence by the looks of it.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Wish I could say news of the new league being another 10 billion token fest to promote stash tabs among the casuals was surprising. Game seems to be firmly in the 'sacrifice quality to pull in cash' death spiral at this point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom