Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which genres do you want to make a comeback?

Ezekiel

Arcane
I've been wanting a modern beat 'em up. Stylized and with almost non-stop action. Sadly, they seem to have died with the arcades. The weird thing is that I was never even into the old ones. So I gave Streets of Rage 2 another try. I enjoyed myself. Couldn't be bothered to learn all the moves, though. I only made it to the underground arena, level 4. I still want a 3D beat 'em up. In my desire for one, I wrote a simple concept.

A third person view beat ’em up with linear but open levels. Also features a bit of platforming. The world is cyberpunk, an anarchist shithole full of punks, rough police and robots of varying sizes. The levels mostly take place at night. Old and modern architecture. Lots of neon lights.

Levels are full of interactive objects, including melee weapons (knives, pipes, bricks, wood beams, bats, cue sticks). Some of these weapons break and are then automatically tossed. They’re also knocked out of the character’s hand when they’re hit, sometimes out of the level. There are guns, but they have pretty limited ammo, can’t be reloaded and are tossed when emptied. (Revolvers, automatic pistols, shotguns, assault rifles, sub-machine guns.) Your main weapons are your fists, followed by your legs.

No upgrades. There are numerous timed combos, but the player can get through the game using the basic attacks and evade. Player characters keep their fists raised, almost like boxers, when facing opponents. The game has a soft lock on system, meaning the game will slightly adjust the player’s orientation towards enemies. But it doesn’t turn you all the way around, like in Batman or Metal Gear Rising; you need to do that yourself. You also need to face an enemy to block.

WASD: Move (Slow run. Character will run fast after a few seconds of running uninterrupted. There is no sprint button, since being able to sprint instantaneously would make combat too easily avoidable.)
Mouse button 1: Punch/shoot
Mouse button 2: Kick (Player can kick even while holding a gun.)
Shift: Evade (Will lean body and take a few quick evasive steps.)
Shift + MB1 + move sideways/backwards: Evasive punch
Shift + MB2 + move sideways/backwards: Evasive kick
Shift + MB1 + move forward: Lunge punch
Shift + MB2 + move forward: Lunge kick
Ctrl: Block (Blocking an attack still hurts you.)
Spacebar: Jump, climb, vault
E: Grab enemy
C: Look back
F: Pick up and drop weapon
Q: Rearward elbow strike (Pressing it twice in a row will make the character also turn around.)

I know the control scheme is simplistic enough to be mapped to a controller, but I just don’t care to. There can be a walk button, but I don’t know if I’d even use it. Assign it to some unimportant button, like Left Alt.

In the top-left corner of the picture is a health bar. For every enemy the player defeats, they gain a little bit of health back. The player characters smile and do mocking animations when the player dominates fights, and appear fearful and pant when they are near defeat, implying that the health meter really represents their determination, audacity and nerve.

You can play with a partner online, paying homage to classic beat ’em ups like Streets of Rage. Enemies are placed randomly and sometimes come in large groups, hopping down from fences and windows, like in Left 4 Dead. The enemies almost double when you’re in multiplayer.

The playable characters are a man and woman, lovers. Both are muscular and tall. There is banter between them as they fight baddies, much like in L4D.

Guy:
-French-English descent
-6 feet 2 inches, early thirties, blue eyes, clean shaven
-Full head of brown hair, medium length and straight
-Fairly muscular, not roided out
-Wears jeans, sneakers, short-sleeved white shirt, black belt.

Girl:
-West African descent
-5 feet 9 inches, mid twenties, gracefully muscular
-Frizzy hair, cut at the neck
-Wears a short leather jacket (red), shiny miniskirt with small slit (black), dark pantyhose (with a few little tears from exertion), calf-high boots (black), elbow-length blouse with pointed u-neck (cream white), weighted-knuckle gloves.

The music is synthwave, possibly featuring Perturbator and Lazerhawk.

Cutscenes are brief and infrequent, possibly hand-drawn.

Last edited:

Parsifarka

Arcane
Mother Russia Bleeds is a good modern beat'em up, although 2D, a nice homage to Streets of Rage and such. As for 3D, Zeno Clash is pure love. But a retrowaving 3D take on it would be great, for sure.

And we need blobbers back; luckily Grimoire is being released next week with or without enhancements!
Also, it's been a long time without C&C-like RTS, with EBM-industrial OST, basebuilding and army mass production.

Last edited:

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
Impression Games' city builders, with full blown 2D graphics and walker (and/or provinces from the older ones) mechanics. There's still a ton of interesting themes these games could use. Nowadays attempts to reincarnate them are just shit. Lethis looks awful and is extremely boring, Hearthlands are just insulting with their lazy flash graphics.
The supremacy of prestigious 2D 99/00 over lazy and incompetent flash cartoon is obvious. Take a gander at this beauty:
Pharaoh%2B%25282%2529.png

And compare it to this pile of newgrounds/browser shit
Hearthlands%2B3.jpg

Also, classical Settlers could use a comback as well. Dawn of Cultures was brought down with abysmal Settlers 2 Anniversary 3D engine, Valhalla Hills are boring and pointless af, Northgard is still in the making.

Ash

Arcane
All of them? Nearly all genres are creatively and integrally dead these days, others are literally dead.

But OK, out of the literal pile: vehicular combat games? And if one casual cuckdexer mentions Mad Max I swear...

I'd like it if we had turn-based jrpgs again. It seems like all we get for jrpgs these days are these wishy-washy "kingdom hearts-esque" action rpg style.
I like that style of gameplay in Kingdom Hearts and I like it in Dark Souls too (I'm just generalizing, those two are quite different, of course) but I don't care for it being in most other games.
The most recent turn based RPG that I played and really loved was Lost Odyssey on the xbox 360 and I would adore it if that could be ported to the PC instead of being left to rot on a dead console. Thankfully, there are plenty of old turn-based jrpgs that can still be played, it would just be a little sad if we never got a new one that wasn't some anime trash.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Space sims that focus on combat and missions (like Tie fighter, Freespace etc.) instead of sandbox trading, exploration, mining and other boring stuff.

yeah I know these aren't really "simulators", calm your tits aspies

mondblut

Arcane
Old KOEI games before getting consoletarded and weeabooed with shit RT combat, jrpg GUI and bling-bling gfx. Such as RTK4, PTO2, Ghenghis Khan 2 and, obviously, Celtic Tales (duh!).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom