Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

Jason Liang

Arcane
Yeah, The Prophet isn't for you then. It's a very long, epic adventure, not a monty haul dungeon crawl. And it has text you have to actually read to appreciate the game. You clearly don't have the attention span for it.

hell bovine

Arcane
Yeah, The Prophet isn't for you then. It's a very long, epic adventure, not a monty haul dungeon crawl. And it has text you have to actually read to appreciate the game. You clearly don't have the attention span for it.
Did you miss the part where I complained about cardboard NPCs in the elf village? :lol:
I don't have the attention span necessary to slog through pointless areas, no. Because if it isn't a dungeon crawl, what is the point of all those boring, filler combat trash areas you have to slog through to get to the story?

Jason Liang

Arcane
Did you miss the part where I complained about cardboard NPCs in the elf village? :lol:
I don't have the attention span necessary to slog through pointless areas, no. Because if it isn't a dungeon crawl, what is the point of all those boring, filler combat trash areas you have to slog through to get to the story?

You tried it and you decided to give up before you got to the end of the quest. What more is there to say? That's choice and consequence! You got to the elven village and thought, "I have a bad feeling about this adventure. I don't like being a prophet. Let's go on a different adventure instead." And perhaps your feeling was correct. You'll never find out why The Prophet is a masterpiece, but perhaps that's for the best.

In fact, I agree with you! When playing The Prophet, at several points I didn't feel like continuing either. Perhaps the best choice would have been to listen to my feelings and quit then, before I reached the end.

You always have that choice. You can always choose to quit. If you continue, you'll have to live with the consequences, either way.

This is true for Cave of Songs as well. Cave of Songs has no ending. If you can't get to the end of the cave, you can simply export your character and go on to your next adventure. There's a reward if you return to the tavern after finishing the cave, but its up to you to export and quit. In fact, its possible that you looted an incredibly valuable treasure from the cave, and when you leave the cave, something might follow after you to get that treasure back. There are many ways to solve this. If you flee to the Tavern to get the tavern reward, the thing after you will kill everyone in the tavern. So perhaps the correct choice is to forsake the tavern reward. It's up to you. You can either have the Cave reward or the Tavern reward, but if you try to get both, you can escape yourself but everyone in the tavern will die.

Last edited:

hell bovine

Arcane
You tried it and you decided to give up before you got to the end of the quest. What more is there to say? That's choice and consequence! You got to the elven village and thought, "I have a bad feeling about this adventure. I don't like being a prophet. Let's go on a different adventure instead." And perhaps your feeling was correct. You'll never find out why The Prophet is a masterpiece, but perhaps that's for the best.
A great ending doesn't make up for lacking gameplay. Almraiven has an open ending and so does Swordflight 2, Almraiven has almost no combat, SF2 has lots of it, but it's challenging and varied. Both are great city adventures, because they don't waste the player's time on large areas filled with trash combat. You know what's the consequence of such area design? Boring gameplay.

Btw, I didn't quit because of a "bad feeling". :roll: I quit because the elven city was as badly designed as the areas before it.

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Nice to see some traffic in this topic lately. I haven't been playing any real RPGs lately (been playing Fallout 4 with mods, my first playthrough, and though it's the worst Fallout game, it's still better than most AAA titles these days so I'm enjoying it). I need to do that Swordflight 1-3 playthrough. It just seems to be classic cRPG gaming going by all the hearsay and hoopla.

purpleblob

Savant
I want to check out more NWN modules but not sure which one of mentioned above I should try. I REALLY enjoyed The Aielund Saga. I didn't enjoy ADWR so much, too much sexual encounters didn't help but in general I don't enjoy playing a rogue character.

Swordflight sounds intriguing but I am hesitant cause I am not good at combat, I struggled a lot with a number of fights in The Aielund Saga, especially the last boss battle.

Would you guys recommend The Prophet and Cave of Songs? The 3rd chapter of The Prophet seems to be a bit buggy based on the comment in NWN vault.

I'm guessing Honor Among Thieves is for rogue character, so this one is out.

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
I don't know any bugs for chapter 3. Chapter 2 had a minor bug when it first came out, depending on your solution to the situation, since the scenario is so complicated, but it might already be patched. The vault comment seems to be about a bug for multiplayer that doesn't exist in single player.

Going from Cave of Songs -> The Prophet is fine; if you try to fit in HAT in the middle you'll be significantly overleveled for Prophet. I would take some levels of Rogue, Bard or Assassin for Prophet for Use Magical Device since you'll find some great treasures with strict race/ or class restrictions, some of which are impossible otherwise for PCs (for example, Ogre or Undead only). I wouldn't recommend a Whirlwind build since Whirlwind comes on one of the best equipment you can get. Finally, if you can't decide on a weapon focus (for Champion of Torm or Weapon Master for example), club would be a good choice since one of the best weapons you can get is a club, but otherwise there is plenty of diverse weapons (slightly biased towards swords of course) and armors (heavy armor proficiency wont be wasted).

The first few fights in Cave of Songs are not balanced for lvl 1 so if you want lighter combat you might want to start with a lvl 2 or lvl 3 character instead.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
purpleblob I recommend Cave of Songs and Cormyrean Nights if you don't want tough combat. They are also very easy to setup and get into.

hell bovine

Arcane
I want to check out more NWN modules but not sure which one of mentioned above I should try. I REALLY enjoyed The Aielund Saga. I didn't enjoy ADWR so much, too much sexual encounters didn't help but in general I don't enjoy playing a rogue character.

Swordflight sounds intriguing but I am hesitant cause I am not good at combat, I struggled a lot with a number of fights in The Aielund Saga, especially the last boss battle.

Would you guys recommend The Prophet and Cave of Songs? The 3rd chapter of The Prophet seems to be a bit buggy based on the comment in NWN vault.

I'm guessing Honor Among Thieves is for rogue character, so this one is out.
Swordflight is tough... with the exception of one class: cleric. Healing & trickery domains, extend spell to make your buffs last longer, and you're set.

Never tried it, but apparently you can play Honor Among Thieves with a wizard with a pixie familiar.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Clerics are gods amongst the other, mere mortal, classes in NWN, but Swordflight is tough even with them. The shameless Prophet shilling rubs me the wrong way. Yes, it's fine, but it won't blow anyone's mind. ADwR is an odd one, it's very specific in what it wants to do and that's okay. It feels fresh, so everyone should try it.

hell bovine

Arcane
Clerics are gods amongst the other, mere mortal, classes in NWN, but Swordflight is tough even with them. The shameless Prophet shilling rubs me the wrong way. Yes, it's fine, but it won't blow anyone's mind. ADwR is an odd one, it's very specific in what it wants to do and that's okay. It feels fresh, so everyone should try it.
ADwR's only reactivity is in regards to the sex scenes, that's the thing. If you like it, sure, but frankly, I'll take even BG's reputation police over the game pretending my chaotic evil psycho is a hapless damsel.

Swordflight on the other hand has rp options for all classes/alignments, though I found the wizard & rogue quests more interesting than others. And while agree that you still can't leave your cleric on autopilot, the fights were easy enough that I've abandoned my cleric playthrough.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'm not saying ADwR is better than Swordflight lololol. I'm saying that it does one thing and that one thing feels fresh. Personally, I've never been able to get to the end, I get bored somewhere around the tasks you are given at the beginning, but that doesn't mean it's not different and worth playing to see if you'll like it. Even then if I approach it with the right frame of mind I'll probably enjoy it. I have the ability to differentiate between my own personal preferences and the qualities of something :p

purpleblob

Savant
Hmm.... I think I will try out Cave of Songs first and if I like it then I will give Prophet series a go. Might even play Swordflight on lowest difficulty since you guys got my interested piqued up.

V_K

Arcane
Might even play Swordflight on lowest difficulty since you guys got my interested piqued up.
You get a limited, but fairly large, number of free resurrections for your PCs, so I wouldn't worry that much about the hard battles. Was enough to carry me through chapter 1, and I suck at combat.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Currently covering AL3: Tyrants of the Moonsea.

Have already covered AL1: Siege of Shadowdale, and recently crashed through the rest of AL2: Crimson Tides of Tethyr after a 2 year break from it.

alazander.jpg

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Parts II-IV/Finale of CToT are covered at the end of this post. I think the AL series has better lore than TAS because it is proper Realmslore. But TAS is better, overall.

purpleblob

Savant
Just finished reading through it - seems like this is more up my alley than other modules talked about earlier! Btw, I LOLed at:

I just wanted to chat, but Andrea projectile-vomits blood all over me, possessed as she is by an evil spirit (which had lain dormant in the amulet) and in dire need of an exorcism, which I gladly perform on her now - and free of charge!

Sigh. The poor dear.

Love your blog :)

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
You should vote on my blog poll: barbarian isn't winning, and that's just wrong.

Playing Weapon Master in Swordflight atm. She's doing ok (when buffed to hell):

Lacrymas

Arcane
I made a gnome Bard/Dragon Disciple/Weapon Master (Scimitar) once, a looong time ago. It was ...interesting, if a bit passive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom