Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie developer blames game journalists for widespread Unity Engine hate

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Managed languages are generally poor choices for performance intensive projects.

Microsoft's XNA framework (also using C#) had similar issues, though it was mostly used for smaller game projects.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Every unity game heats my cpu up like an oven, even if it's just some stupid idle game so I dunno I came to the conclusion that unity is p shit all by myself :D

Exactly. If the software is so friendly that allows hacks to deliver over-heating games, then the engine deserves the blame. People who are too dumb to make games should be doing something else. If Unity empowers them with the capacity of releasing shitty games, blame Unity!

Unity got its reputation largely because of its availability to people who don't know how to use it properly.

:lol::lol::lol:

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
Every unity game heats my cpu up like an oven, even if it's just some stupid idle game so I dunno I came to the conclusion that unity is p shit all by myself :D

Exactly. If the software is so friendly that allows hacks to deliver over-heating games, then the engine deserves the blame. People who are too dumb to make games should be doing something else. If Unity empowers them with the capacity of releasing shitty games, blame Unity!

So if some hack cuts off his fingers with a buzzsaw, because he doesn't know how to operate the machine properly, would you also blame the manufacturer of said buzzsaw?
Or if he cuts the wood in the wrong places, making the end product an unstable mess - would that be the manufacturers fault?

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
So if some hack cuts off his fingers with a buzzsaw, because he doesn't know how to operate the machine properly, would you also blame the manufacturer of said buzzsaw? Or if he cuts the wood in the wrong places, making the end product an unstable mess - would that be the manufacturers fault?
We are talking about a tool that allows illiterate people to push poorly designed games in the market. In order to make your analogy more precise, it is as if Unity were a machine that allows crude people to make buzzsaws following a series of steps, and the result would be a deluge of cheap buzzsaws that don’t work properly and cause lots of accidents. Make Buzzsaws Great Again! You can’t burrow other people’s expertise and expect to deliver something that is close to the real article. And we are not even discussing the long term effects of these engines. How many will try to take a shortcut instead of learning more about programming because of these engines? How many will keep using the engine to release broken games and then blame that said engine in order to cover their backs? If everyone is doing these things, including professional developers, does it even matter anymore if the game is overheating or takes too long to load? These developers are doing stupid things because this type of creative tool allows them to do so in the first place. If you give hacks incentives to fill the world with noise, they will do so. You can bet on it.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
As many have pointed out, even competent devs using Unity seem to have issues.

It isn't just a case of amateurs fucking things up.

Zenith

Arbiter
I like how Shadowrun Hong Kong had loading times about 2-3 times longer than Dragonfall. Same developer, same engine, same game. But apparently having the areas grow a bit in size will just cross some threshold for Unity or something. I don't get it, honestly.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I like how Shadowrun Hong Kong had loading times about 2-3 times longer than Dragonfall. Same developer, same engine, same game. But apparently having the areas grow a bit in size will just cross some threshold for Unity or something. I don't get it, honestly.

Let's not talk about scripts not initiating and such. I think Hong Kong was definitely pushing what they had to the limit and you could also see the same in community modules with larger areas. Then again, that was clearly before Unity 5.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom