Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games (and threads) that have been made obsolete by their sequels

TripJack

Hedonist
Doom 2->Doom 3
Thief 2->Thief Deadly Shadows
Deus Ex->Invisible War
Planescape Torment->Torment Tides of Numenera

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Star Control -> Star Control 2 , no contest here

Wrong. The strategic 2-player element of Star Control 1 is not present in the sequel and has not been replicated in a game that I can remember (though I'm sure there is one out there).

Laser Squad -> UFO: Enemy Unknown

Also wrong, because Laser Squad has a very interesting (and highly enjoyable) 2-player mode, while X-Com is strictly single-player.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Yes strictly, because that's a completely seperate game from UFO: Enemy Unknown.

Thanks for bringing that up BTW, I didn't know of this game.

laclongquan

Arcane
Also Silent Storm Sentinels for Silent Storm.

Nope. Sentinels is a different game than Silent Storm. Sure, it share many similarities due to run the same engine, same art assets. But
Sentinels is a strictly linear story, with only one branch at the end. While Silent Storm got at least two separate major stories, with many branches depend on how the random number god mess with the story generator.
Sentinels got nearly half the recruits compare to S2. Sure, it has both Allied and Axis. But if its roster doesnt contain your favourite from S2 you are shit out of luck.
You need to scavenge items to convert to money to buy stuffs in Sentinels. In Silent Storm, you are provided free ammo/guns, and certain stuffs for each supply point in story. You only need to scavenge some items that you dont get supplied in that campaign.
etc and etc...

deuxhero

Arcane
Not counting either game's remake, Fire Emblem 3 has the parts of Fire Emblem 1 that matter included as a playable part 1 on top of having not completely stupid mechanics (only way to level up healers is for them to survive getting attacked, ect.)

laclongquan
Sentinels's biggest flaw is the lowered movement rate. It makes movement in-combat so worthless the battle is over before you actually get into that flanking position.

Last edited:

Seaking4

Learned
Left 4 Dead -> Left 4 Dead 2

This was mostly true on release but since then they added the maps from the first game to the second and a game mode that allows you to simulate the first game.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Left 4 Dead -> Left 4 Dead 2

This was mostly true on release but since then they added the maps from the first game to the second and a game mode that allows you to simulate the first game.
Not true. L4D1 plays differently than L4D2. You have no melee weapons, the hordes aren't as frequent, the tank will keep hitting you when you're down instead of going to the next survivor, killing you, the guns aren't so close to the screen, and there's no bile, which makes a lot of parts easier. Some of the maps were also slightly changed in L4D2. For example, on the roof finale to No Mercy, you can no longer hide inside the stairwell in L4D2 (It's now an open stairwell.), and the third deck of the main building has been removed. I still play both games.

Last edited:

DemonKing

Arcane
Guess asking what original games were ruined by their sequels would be too long a thread...so in the spirt of the question:

Eye of the Beholder 2 > EOB
Commandos 2 > Commandos
Dark Forces II > Dark Forces
M&M X > M&MIX

laclongquan

Arcane
laclongquan
Sentinels's biggest flaw is the lowered movement rate. It makes movement in-combat so worthless the battle is over before you actually get into that flanking position.

That is not my impression. Sure, early on you are weak and have to concentrate in one push. But at later mission when either your mercs have been raised a lot, or you use high level merc, you can afford to play flanking. The key is you have to sync your command to move by freely use the pause feature, not TB, in order to make sure when the game pause to entering Turnbased your mercs are where they need be.

Example? The mission where you try to arrest Boris but get ambushed instead. The initial phase has you on a wide road. If you set up your long range shooters and your assault men just right, when the TB fire up, you can set your shooter to clear the near enemies off the way for the assault squad to move forward and engage enemies a little bit further.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Guess asking what original games were ruined by their sequels would be too long a thread...so in the spirt of the question:

Eye of the Beholder 2 > EOB

I'm calling bogus on this for two reasons:

1) At first impression EOB2 seems to be better than EOB1, but since then I've played both games extensively... and my conclusion is that EOB1 is the better game.

EOB2 has a worse selection of NPCs, and worse NPC management than EOB1.
EOB2 is entirely linear. In fact it's the most linear of all the EOB games, there's no changing in what order you complete each section. Meanwhile EOB1 is so freeform that you can skip entire levels without even noticing it. (Even EOB3 has options on the order of playing through the levels.)
EOB2 has points of no return, areas that you can only ever enter once. EOB1 (and EOB3 for that matter) allows for free movement of every area, with locked doors barring progress being the only real obstacle.
Because of the above EOB2 has "walking dead" states, where you're screwed without even knowing it because you missed something you can't get anymore. (Obviously EOB1 doesn't.)
EOB2 also has cheesy death traps. EOB1 doesn't.
EOB2 requires a spellcaster to complete a certain quest, or the game won't progress. While an in-game workaaround exists, it was clearly added as an afterthought at the last minute and can be easily missed. By comparison EOB1 places no requirements on what character classes you can include in your party.

2) This thread asks what games make the prequel irrelevant and pointless to play. EOB1 is still very relevant because you can transfer your party from EOB1 to EOB2. You can skip EOB1 and go straight to EOB2, but it's far better to play through EOB1 and then transfer the party to EOB2.

So yeah. EOB2 is still a good game, but it's noticeable :decline: from EOB1.

laclongquan

Arcane
I have to agree with that idea. Even Civ4 is pretty cool and all, it's still unequal to SMAC. The freaking workshop give it too much tactical flexibility. Custom world generation also dwarf the Civ4 worldmap.

More importantly, writings make SMAC faction so much easier to immerse into various diversified persona, unlike the generic persona of Civ4.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
Fallout Ettu convert F1 to play in F2 engine. So there's no particular reason to play F1 original now~

Unlike Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas with tale of two wastelands mod.

FNV/TTW is a complete different game compared to F3, even in term of story and writing. Because if you play FNV/TTW as Lone Wanderer, then move to Vegas, then your Courier become someone has past. And the old experiences in F3 and dlcs allow a complete different look at events in FNV and dlc. Like, Ulysses is a complete raving patient with last stage illness. Sierra Madre has no hold so no need to let go, we go through it purely to rescue Christine.

To compare in term of gameplay, F3 is like FNV with tougher barter, worse repair, no jury rigging and lots of interesting perks. No turbo effect etc... The raiders also are generic, unlike jackal/Powderganger/viper/Fiends in the wild. No poisonous animal.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
But what about you, dear readers? What prequels do you know of that are now less relevant than fidget spinners?
I see you made a grave mistake four years ago: You are talking about predecessors here. A prequel is something that is published after the original piece, but its plot takes place before that.

Always happy to help.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
AGEOD's American Civil War -> AGEOD's American Civil War II
Silent hunter II -> Silent Hunter III
Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord -> Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin
Star Wars: Jedi Knight -> Star Wars: Jedi Outcast
Endless Space -> Endless Space 2

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
But what about you, dear readers? What prequels do you know of that are now less relevant than fidget spinners?
I see you made a grave mistake four years ago: You are talking about predecessors here. A prequel is something that is published after the original piece, but its plot takes place before that.

Always happy to help.

I thank you for bringing this to my attention, though I can't say that you're right.

At a glance it seems that the word "prequel" (first defined in the late 1950s) is much younger than the world "sequel" (which can be traced back 600 years) and is defined as "a work (such as a novel or a play) whose story precedes that of an earlier work." At no point does the concept of when the work is released enter the definition.

"The Hobbit is the prequel to the Lord of the Rings... and yet they were written and published in a correct chronological order."

Is the above sentence true or not? I'm gonna have to dig out my dictionaries, as online dictionaries can no longer be trusted.

schru

Arcane
I thank you for bringing this to my attention, though I can't say that you're right.

At a glance it seems that the word "prequel" (first defined in the late 1950s) is much younger than the world "sequel" (which can be traced back 600 years) and is defined as "a work (such as a novel or a play) whose story precedes that of an earlier work." At no point does the concept of when the work is released enter the definition.
But it's right there in the definition you have quoted: ‘... whose story precedes that of an earlier work’.

The O.E.D. definition and example quotations concur:

A book, film, etc., the events portrayed in which or the concerns of which precede those of an existing completed work.

1973 Britannica Bk. of Year 1972 732/3 Prequel, a literary work whose narrative sequentially precedes that of an earlier work. 1977 National Observer (U.S.) 1 Jan. 1/4 Cammer‥has just written a book, Freedom from Compulsion.‥ He calls it a ‘prequel’ to his earlier book, Up from Depression. ‘“Prequel” is a word I coined’, he explains. ‘It's a sequel except it's on a subject that comes before.’ 1977 Globe & Mail (Toronto) 17 Sept. 37/5 The Silmarillion, for which Tolkien coined the term Prequel, describes not only the creation of Middle Earth, but of the universe.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
You are correct.

I offer my apologies as I made that post on the fly, while having to juggle other things. I should have seen that, but for some reason I didn't.

This forces me to make quite a mental readjustment, as I have used the word as a synonym for "predecessor" for years now.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
ARPGs and ARPG hybrids tend to fit this classificiation well. Borderlands 2 and Torchlight 2 obsoleted their previous games.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 -> BG 3
Planescape Torment -> Numanuma
Fallout 1 & 2 -> Fallout 3
Gothic 1 & 2 -> Gothic 3

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 -> BG 3
Planescape Torment -> Numanuma
Fallout 1 & 2 -> Fallout 3
Gothic 1 & 2 -> Gothic 3
That joke was already made in this thread. Or is this a prequel of a joke?
rating_shittydog.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom