Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mistborn RPG in the works

Stabwound

Arcane
So, it looks like the Mistborn series of books by Brian Sanderson is getting a PC RPG treatment. I think the series is pretty well suited for a good CRPG, but it will probably be a shit action game. The way "magic" works in the series is pretty unique compared to standard fantasy shit and would work well in an RPG, but admittedly better in an action RPG, which it will probably be.

Unfortunately, it's being released for consoles as well, so it will be awful most likely. I've never heard of the developer, and it looks like some of the only games they've released are: A women's hairstyle simulator for the Nintendo DS and a hidden object Sherlock Holmes game for the iPad. And a quote from their website: "Game Machine Studios is one of Orange County's leading developers of console and casual gaming solutions. "

Very promising.

http://www.mistborngame.com/

Little Orbit revealed today that they will be bringing best-selling author Brandon Sanderson’s epic fantasy series Mistborn to games late next year for PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, Windows PC and Mac.

Mistborn is set in a dark world of ash, mist, and gothic fantasy creatures, dominated by a seemingly immortal villain known as the Lord Ruler. It also follows individuals who use a powerful rule-based magic system known as Allomancy that allows them to temporarily enhance their physical and mental abilities by ingesting and “burning” flakes of metal. Those who have the ability to burn a single metal are called Mistings, and those who can burn all metals are known as Mistborn.

The upcoming RPG video game will feature an original storyline created by Sanderson, set several hundreds of years before the first Mistborn novel, and will focus on a unique combat system that puts Allomancy into the hands of gamers. Players will suit up as Fendin “Fiddle” Fathvell, an arrogant young nobleman who must quickly master his newfound Allomantic abilities before forces at work can destroy his entire family.

“I’m a huge fan of the series, and I cannot wait to get this into the hands of gamers,” said Matthew Scott, CEO of Little Orbit. “Between the distinctive magic system, the story twists Brandon has planned for the game, and the rich depth of character skills, we’re creating something very unique for players to enjoy.

Sanderson is no stranger to video games. He recently completed story development on the Infinity Blade II video game including the accompanying Infinity Blade: Awakening novella. In between writing his popular Mistborn and Stormlight novels, he is also finishing work on the final novel in Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series. Sanderson has been labeled “one of the most popular new fantasy writers to emerge in the last ten years.”

“As an avid gamer, I’m extremely excited by this opportunity,” said Sanderson. “The chance to write the story for a Mistborn game while working with a team of talented developers is, quite literally, living a dream.”

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, a book series with an interesting setting and a great magic system is getting a game...

... and the makers are casual game developers?

:rage:

We know what happens when casual game devs try making an RPG. Barcelona looks promising but then it all goes to shit. :M

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
"Game Machine Studios is one of Orange County's leading developers of console and casual gaming solutions."
:M

Why the negativity? Maybe Orange County is the epicentre of world gaming development? It must be chock full of high quality developers if GMS didn't need to quantify their standing in the global hierarchy any more broadly than OC. Being one of the leaders in Orange County might mean more than it seems.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Yeah, the way magic works in Mistborn practically screams "please make a game system out of me!". A cool idea wasted on a shitty developer.

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
I see actual game mechanics are no longer important enough to mention when a games development is announced. Are we at the point where we should just assume it will be a first person action click-fest?

praetor

Arcane
could some of you elaborate a bit more on the magic system and why it's so unique and suited for a game (or at least give a link for a decent explanation)? you got me intrigued, but the short explanation in that little blurb in the OP sounds hardly unique or interesting. thanks!

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
So it has nothing to do with Birthright. It's just a stupid subtitle. :(

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This really won't work... the magic system(s) are a bit too dynamic (think jumps with gravity, not flying).

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Honestly, while I like their magic system, I think it's pretty horribly suited for a game. Too much physics, too much reactivity. I hate to say it, but the best way to handle it would be in a 1st person/3rd person view (a la Portal), and at that point, you probably have a shooter and not an RPG.

asxetos

Augur
great books with very interesting magic system, but i too think that it can only be used in a very actiony and physics-heavy game.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have gained necromancer abilities and must put them to use:

I think that if a game ever gets made, Arkane should be the ones to do it, even if it means it will not be a role playing game.

Maybe that's why Cris left Obsidian...

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Mistborn is absolute trash though. I'm still butthurt I listened to codex recommendations about it. Good thing I stopped after book 1 and just read how it somehow gets way worse in the next books.

First book is fine. Second two are absolute trash, particularly number 2, and unfortunately he injects his religious beliefs into the trilogy's ending literally out of nowhere.

Magic system is very cool as others have said though, and could be really fun if done correctly.

Honestly I think the game would probably work best if they just shamelessly ripped off pretty much all of Arkham City's mechanics.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I have gained necromancer abilities and must put them to use: https://www.facebook.com/MistbornGame/posts/1497875610234514

I think that if a game ever gets made, Arkane should be the ones to do it, even if it means it will not be a role playing game.

Maybe that's why Cris left Obsidian...

During the break, we internally agreed that Mistborn fans deserved a bigger/better version of the game. During this second iteration, we engaged a number of larger RPG developers, and we started talks with Obsidian. Chris Avellone was a huge advocate, and he has always been a big fan of Brandon. But after months of discussion, their schedule proved to be too complex, and the game went back on the shelf.

From RPS interview with Feargus in 2013:

“There’s something we’re talking about that I think would be really cool, but it’s not an original property,” he says. “It’s a licensed property. But it’s not Alpha Protocol! It’s something we can still do a ton of creative stuff with, though. And then the other thing is an original property. Also, there’s a third thing that somebody approached us with, but I really don’t think that’s going to work out.”

Likely the first one.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
More proof of what I have been saying about this community. People wanting not-rpgs made using not rpg game mechanics and not rpg engines. Go codex!

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
More proof of what I have been saying about this community. People wanting not-rpgs made using not rpg game mechanics and not rpg engines. Go codex!
Honestly, I don't see how this would work as a full fledged rpg.

And yes, some people like other genres than rpgs. Shocking.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
From what I remember of the first book (after which I gave up) it was basically Dishonored in book form - kewl radical ninja stealth magic action. And Dishonored certainly isn't a RPG.

hackncrazy

Savant
Mistborn is absolute shit. Is a heist book disguised as a fantasy setting. It's bad. Allomancy is bad and this game will be awful.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Honestly, I don't see how this would work as a full fledged rpg.

And yes, some people like other genres than rpgs. Shocking.

Its not shocking. What is shocking is when people on these forums like rpgs.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I read the first book but couldn't continue on the second one because it SUCKED. SUCKED SUCKED SUCKED!!! ASS!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom