Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Colour Spray

Educated
Like Lacrymas said the xp penalty isn't a huge deal. Even the gold you spend is only worth maybe one item. At one point i had a level 4 wizard with a level 2 barbarian, but now everybody is on the brink of level 5 and my main character is only half a level ahead.

Speaking of items, I think i should probably find the local Adventurer's Mart soon now that I'm sitting on 10k gold. All of my characters only have between 3 and 1 items equipped (discluding weapons). This game really keeps its loot to itself; C'mon man, i've got 6 characters each with 8 item slots and you've barely given me 3 rings so far. A pair of boots? Can i just get a pair of boots at least? :|

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I found the missing xp negligible at the start and completely irrelevant by level 5, after 5 everyone is the same level at basically the same time.

cannondwarf

Scholar
Like Lacrymas said the xp penalty isn't a huge deal. Even the gold you spend is only worth maybe one item. At one point i had a level 4 wizard with a level 2 barbarian, but now everybody is on the brink of level 5 and my main character is only half a level ahead.

Speaking of items, I think i should probably find the local Adventurer's Mart soon now that I'm sitting on 10k gold. All of my characters only have between 3 and 1 items equipped (discluding weapons). This game really keeps its loot to itself; C'mon man, i've got 6 characters each with 8 item slots and you've barely given me 3 rings so far. A pair of boots? Can i just get a pair of boots at least? :|
I'd rather use that money on Tall Grass or The Hours of St. Rumbault, rings aren't really worth much at that level anyways

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
XP penalty, crippling? WTF? You can't even have a full party until you run into Sagani, and you have to run with 4 companions until you run into Kana. Meanwhile, it's trivial to have a 6-man group of custom made adventurers right after arriving to Gilded Vale. 6 beats 4, even if they are slightly underleveled.

Colour Spray

Educated
I'd rather use that money of Tall Grass or The Hours of St. Rumbault, rings aren't really worth much at that level anyways
Sounds like Dyrford village is where all the sweet items are at. I ended up buying Telda's Ring and Belt of the Stelgaer before i read your reply but i am still in the market for a good two-handed weapon. Probably not gonna get a pike though, as much as I like spears; three of my spell casters have bows already so mono-piercing damage doesn't sound like a good idea. Thanks for the heads up; I probably would have missed those before moving on to the White March otherwise.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I'd rather use that money of Tall Grass or The Hours of St. Rumbault, rings aren't really worth much at that level anyways
Sounds like Dyrford village is where all the sweet items are at. I ended up buying Telda's Ring and Belt of the Stelgaer before i read your reply but i am still in the market for a good two-handed weapon. Probably not gonna get a pike though, as much as I like spears; three of my spell casters have bows already so mono-piercing damage doesn't sound like a good idea. Thanks for the heads up; I probably would have missed those before moving on to the White March otherwise.

The reason pike is so good is the passive.

Colour Spray

Educated
It does sound really good. I like the fact that both of the unique properties synergize with each other, too; whereas the sword seems better if you can already enable crits well enough. Hmm, well if it's that much better than the sword i could always swap back to scepters and rods.

I do like the flexibility of two damage types; Although now that i think about it I could just switch between damage types in weapon sets, even if that sounds a little aids.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I'd rather use that money on Tall Grass or The Hours of St. Rumbault, rings aren't really worth much at that level anyways

True, true. So you need to reach Dyrwood for some serious shopping methinks. Both those weapons are awesome and, after some upgrades, very end-game worthy (Hours of St. Rumbaldt is my favorite weapon in PoE overall). Of course my last game was with a Barbarian, so I may be skewed.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Chromatic Orb, Magic Missile and Friends stay relevant throughout the BGs. Some PoE spells do, too. From the priest spells, Withdraw, Armor of Faith, Blessing etc.

Or Wizard's Eldirith Aim and Chill Fog, to a lesser degree Slicken and Spirit Shield.
But I cast Eldirith Aim in every serious combat.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
Eldritch aim doesn't stack with any other accuracy boosting spell. I use blessing/radiance/scroll of valor instead.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Just completed White March 1. All in all it wasn't that different from the OC, it was like a slightly better version (less text). I wouldn't say the encounters were incredibly well made or memorable tbh, the Durgan Sirens were incredibly annoying, though, high defenses and almost being able to spam AoE stuns. The hardest battle was the Gleaming Society, every other fight and bounty paled in comparison (I haven't seriously tackled the Alpine dragon yet), I 2-shot the last battle of Durgan's Battery and that's because I wasn't ready for them to spawn directly on me and didn't position myself at all on the first try. Speaking of Durgan's Battery, it reminded me of IWD in a good way. What was massively different and better was the sense of adventure, you aren't being led by the nose but actually going around doing stuff on your own accord (mostly). It also surprised me with its length (that's what she said), I thought it was going to be shorter because of the "part 1" tag.

I'll finish act 2 now and then go to part 2.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Eldritch aim doesn't stack with any other accuracy boosting spell. I use blessing/radiance/scroll of valor instead.

I believe it did for me. I did use Devotions of the Faithfull in every fight + Gallant's Focus aura. And often Inspiring Radiance.
But I believe Eldirith Aim still helped.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Devotions for the Faithful + Crowns for the Faithful + Shields for the Faithful is absolutely broken, you become an unstoppable force.

Prime Junta

Devotions for the Faithful + Crowns for the Faithful + Shields for the Faithful is absolutely broken, you become an unstoppable force.

You still have a certain amount of trouble with Lagufaeth broodmothers and sirens. Or so I've heard anyway.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

Yeah, those are golden. Though I didn't use Shields for the Faithful much. It competes with the Prayer against Imprisonment and Salvation of Time (and Revive the Fallen).
But I also loved using Spark the Souls of the Righteous in the rare event when I had the time to properly buff.

Lacrymas

Arcane
You still have a certain amount of trouble with Lagufaeth broodmothers and sirens. Or so I've heard anyway.

Once I used DAoM pots the broodmothers weren't a problem anymore and that's only the fight with 3 of them. While sirens are annoying (due to high defenses) I wouldn't say I had difficulty with them.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
XP penalty, crippling? WTF? You can't even have a full party until you run into Sagani, and you have to run with 4 companions until you run into Kana. Meanwhile, it's trivial to have a 6-man group of custom made adventurers right after arriving to Gilded Vale. 6 beats 4, even if they are slightly underleveled.

Some people seem to wait a bit until getting companions.

Jason Liang

Arcane

Some people seem to wait a bit until getting companions.

You get 50% more xp if you solo, and in 3.0 when you do finally recruit the pre-made companions get that full xp.

Not that you need that much xp- or companions- to beat the game. It took me < 10 hours to beat the game (not WM) the first time, playing solo rogue PotD.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The Ultimate is also done in 10 hours as a rogue. If you skip most of the fights it's going to be fast.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So am I really shooting myself in the foot in taking companions instead of no name adventurers?
They managed to show that "no dump stat" was just empty talk by designing such a cast of incompetent characters.
I have to edit their stat, decrease their XP, and decrease gold appropriately to have capable party members that talk?

Seaking4

Learned
No you're not. You can beat the game just fine with the companions. They are each (or at least the one's I've used) more than capable of holding their own in combat. In fact, it probably gets too easy if you use only created adventures.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
So am I really shooting myself in the foot in taking companions instead of no name adventurers?
They managed to show that "no dump stat" was just empty talk by designing such a cast of incompetent characters.
I have to edit their stat, decrease their XP, and decrease gold appropriately to have capable party members that talk?

That's entirely another conversation though. The premise was that xp penalty is too crippling early to take custom adventurers. That's not the case at all, as 6-man min-maxed party with items looted of companions will beat 4-man party made with just companions. But that is not to say that full-companion party isn't viable. It's in fact quite fine even on POTD, although some are better than others obviously.

Lacrymas

Arcane
You can finish PotD with the companions, why would you is the question, though. "They talk" is a negative thing in this context, lol, and they have subpar stats.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
I frozen crowned it with a rogue MC and 5 obsidian companions. I also did a 6 custom run.

The custom guys are moderately stronger. 90% of the difference came from having a custom priest. DEX is the most important stat for a priest and Durance has 9. 9....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom