Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
From Reddit AMA with Nippon Ichi President: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/6lh4ed/im_sohei_niikawa_president_of_nippon_ichi/?limit=500

PC releases:

Any chance more Disgaea games will come to steam soon, dood?

We would love to and we plan to! Thanks to all your support we should be able to continue with this.

Are you satisfied/happy with the sales of the first two Disgaea games on PC? Can you tell us if we can expect more Disgaea games on the platform in the near future?

We plan on releasing other Disgaea's on PC. Including Nintendo Switch, we have sold over 3 million Disgaea series games. PC is different from consoles in that many people own them, so therefore we believe that releasing a PC version will allow more people to play. We would like to expand into smartphone gaming and hopefully we can sell 10 million copies of Disgaea series game. If each and every one of you can spread the word out to 10 of your friends, we believe that this goal is achievable.

If you port Makai Kingdom to PC will it include the content from the PSP version?

We always plan to release the most up-to-date version on the PC so most likely yes.

Hello, You guys haven't abandoned the PC ports have you not? The recent announcements were all console only somehow. I'm still hoping for Disgaea 3+ too... I look forward to more NIS games coming to Steam!

We have not abandoned PC ports! We should have good news for you soon!

About Disgaea games:

Disgaea 6 and is it going to be on ps4 first or switch?

Let's see... We want as many people to play our games so we would love to release our games on as many platforms at the same time as possible.

Will we ever see sequels to the other Disgaea games? I thought D2 was a cool idea for a game and I think it'd be great if we saw more of Adell or Valvatorez.

Originally, when we created D2, it was for the 10 year anniversary for Disgaea. We wanted to create a precedent for potentially doing Disgaea titles like: D3 or 3D2 or 4D2 or 5D2. We may need to think of a new title for these though... LOL

We also think expanding on DLC is also option.

What was the biggest inspiration in creating disgaea? Was it to change how SRPGS are made?

I wanted to created Disgaea because...

After I created La Pucelle I was thinking about what to make next... Keep in mind, back then we were only capable of creating one game... Therefore we gave it our all into one title per year. (if it tanked our company would go down under...)

I thought really really hard because I had peoples lives on the line... and the answer I came up with was... やべぇ分かんねぇ(Translation: Crap, I don't know)

So, I got together with the head game designer and head art director and decided on one thing: The game will be set in the Netherworld. I wanted a demon main character and by doing this we thought we would be allowed to do anything. (no morals, I guess)

Lastly, We combined our ideas that we thought would be fun and that's how Disgaea was created.

Also, we didn't really want to change the SRPG, we just wanted to do something different. We're a small company away from the city, so we couldn't compete with bigger companies in the city.

Have you ever had any significant struggles in developing Disgaea games? What was difficult about their development?

The biggest concern always is "Is this better than the prequel, and can we satisfy our customers" In terms of development, debugging is always the hardest part.

Is Prinny 3 ever going to happen?

Never say never. If we think we can sell 100,000 copies of this game we will do it. Currently, it's really hard for us to see this. Let us hear your voices, Prinny fans.

Others:

What kind of experiments have you done which never made it to the final product?

Most of the content that we wanted in the game has made it in our games. I mean come on, "Horse Weiner" made it in our games. One thing that made it in the game and has stuck with me is, in Disgaea 1 you could partially drink an item and allow other characters to finish off the drink. (You can have your characters kiss indirectly!)

Are there any non-NIS game series that you enjoy?

Fire Emblem Fates on 3DS. The old Neo Geo games on Switch.

Smartphone - Yggdrasil (in Japan) ゴシックは魔法乙女(Loosely translates to: Gothic is A Magical Maiden known as DeathGaruda in t he west) - It's a shooting game which probably takes most of my time out of the titles I mentioned.

Will Makai Wars ever be released?

Next year in July Nippon Ichi will have it's 25th anniversary. This may be her best opportunity...

Will we ever get a Phantom Brave sequel?

This was a story that I originally did not have a sequel planned for. However, there are many people at NIS that have asked this same question and some that even join the company with desires of creating a sequel. I would love to see these people get together and perhaps create a Phantom Brave 2.

Any chance of a la pucelle tactics remaster or rerelease on ps4?

As for remaster, most likely not. These games are playable on the Playstation Archives. Remastering is a really strenuous process so we feel that creating something new would be better use of our time.

That being said, I love La Pucelle so I would love to do something similar to La Pucelle in terms of world and game play... one day.

I noticed that "Hakoniwa Company Works" is powered by Unreal Engine 4. What were the challenges that came from changing from Phyreengine (Or whatever other was currently used) to UE4?

Also, your company has developed quite a number of more experimental titles like Hakoniwa, Punny-Punching Princess and Yomawari. How do you approach these projects? In a way that feels different from your "traditional" games, but still appeal to your current fanbase.

It was a engine that we we're new to so our development staff had a really hard time with UE4. We were able to get a lot of support from Epic Games and we were able to pull through with our games.

We have an annual Game concept competition at NIS. Anyone at our company is free to pitch their idea. Not just the actual developers, but accountants, PR person, HR... ANYONE.

This is our fifth year doing this and we have over 50 pitches for new titles. Yomawari and Penny-Punching Princess was chosen from this competition. For Hakoniwa, Director Furuya was actually the winner of the first competition for Firefly Diary htoL#NiQ. We felt that he did a good job and after also directing A Rose in the Twilight he started working on Hakoniwa Company Works.

We want to unearth the talent that have yet to be discovered at our company.

For each title we make sure to imagine the fans that will enjoy the concept and promoted the games in way that will fuel their attention to these "non-traditional" games. As a result we feel that we can gain new fans by doing this.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
On one hand, hell yeah for dropping some Makai Kingdom news. On the other hand I think major factor in relative success of Disgaea ports on PC has been their sensible pricing considering their age, updated assets, etc. I'm not sure how smart it is to release the latest game priced competitively to match the Switch port, though.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
KEMCO's new Steam release:

ss_6f3d8e974d1705a1cef69c5c756012ba2e943730.600x338.jpg

This thing is out now.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
This is some weird Japanese adventure thing:

Gameplay:

And sequel is an RPG? (Or something with turn-based combat.)

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
in a recent interview with DualShockers, Nihon Falcom President Toshihiro Kondo discussed his desire to bring the company’s games to the Switch.

: Kondo-san began by commenting on the Switch itself

“The Nintendo Switch is completely a ‘Nintendo machine’, and that’s a really cool thing.”

: Afterwards, he went on to express his interest in bringing the studio’s titles to Nintendo’s console

“Yea, if the opportunity presents itself, I would definitely like to get Falcom games on the Switch.”

http://www.dualshockers.com/falcom-games-nintendo-switch/

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Musou-like action game Fate/Extella is coming to Steam on July 25: http://www.rpgsite.net/news/5763-fate-extella-the-umbral-star-is-heading-to-steam-on-july-25

XSEED Games announced today that Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star will be heading to Steam on July 25. This will be the same day as the Nintendo Switch release.

The Steam version will retail for $49.99/€49.99/£39.99, and will be sold at a 10% launch discount from July 25 to July 31. All of the DLC available for the game will also be 20% off during this period.

Those interested in the Nintendo Switch version can pick it up for $59.99 which includes over 30 of the already-released DLC costumes.

Steam page:

So, "slew of PC announcements" was not kidding, huh:

Trails in the Sky TC
Trails of Cold Steel
Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection
Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin
Fate/Extella

And one more to the slew as you probably saw at the Ys thread: http://www.rpgsite.net/news/5801-ys-seven-is-coming-to-steam-this-summer

Ys Seven is coming to Steam this Summer

XSEED Games announced during a livestream for Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection on Friday that they will also be bringing Ys Seven to PC/Steam later this summer. Ys Seven originally released in 2010 for PSP and while it did receive a PC release in China in 2012, this PC version is a new contracted port. The game will run at 60 FPS.

XSEED also mentioned that the game will receive some localization adjustments as well with visual upgrades for this PC port. We'll have more details as they come.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Ghostlight PC ports status report: http://blog.ghostlight.uk.com/post/an-update-on-lost-dimension

- Lost Dimension: it's close to release. They added hi-res art and "the ability to assign multiple skill points at once" to PC version, but they had to replace opening theme due to licensing issues. The original developer provided the new music.

- Omega Quintet: port is ongoing, expecting late 2017 release.

- "We're also going to be working on a new PC port of a JRPG for a Western publisher." "It's for a western publisher, who licensed the game and then asked us to do the port :)"

- Also they're working on Traditional Chinese version of existing releases. Sweet, sweet Taiwanese weeb money.

deuxhero

Arcane
- "We're also going to be working on a new PC port of a JRPG for a Western publisher." "It's for a western publisher, who licensed the game and then asked us to do the port :)"

Hmm, "licensed the game" would indicate it's not the western branch of the original publisher, which narrows it down to a small handful of companies and some of those have existing relationships with porting studios narrowing it further. Let's hope it's an actually good game.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Another Chinese only turn-based (J)RPG appeared on Steam:

The Story of Hoogyuan is happened in a fantasy world be named of "HoogLand", which is full of alien culture, magic knowlage and technological creation. The war between two empires lasted for a long time, living in this age, you can create your own legend as a man, but not a hero.
  • Turn-base game
    By using turn-base battle,We hope you may have more time to formulate your tactics.
  • Top_down perspective
    By using top_down perspective,We hope the 3D game vertigo can be avoided.
  • Customize your heros
    In Hoog'Land,you can customize your heros by many traditional ways such as enhance your skills and weapons,but also we prepared a territory for your men which you may develop the constructions to earn more event and support.
  • Variety event
    We try to make the HoogLand realistic and believable,so we prepared many quest and more dungeons to help you experience a wonderful and enjoyable adventure.

• The world is waiting for you,and we are looking forward to our first meeting there...

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://xseedgames.tumblr.com/post/163271482735/senran-kagura-peach-beach-splash-localization

Partly for that reason, the series likes to shake up the formula now and again. No two games in the franchise play quite the same way, and Peach Beach Splash is the biggest departure from the norm, gameplay-wise, since Bon Appétit. The game emphasizes projectiles (specifically water projectiles) over melee attacks, takes Secret Ninja Arts off the table (replacing them with customizable cards), and gives the girls more maneuverability, thanks to their new hydro-jetpacks, than any past game in the series. Players of the already-released Japanese version have compared the game to Armored Core, albeit a much more lighthearted Armored Core.

Armored Core, you say...?

(FYI, this may be coming to PC next year, according to the series director from some interview I can't remember which.)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
NISA price drops: http://nisamerica.com/blog/psn-and-steam-price-drops

PSN AND STEAM PRICE DROPS!?

Hey dood!

This is Jupy! :D How've you all been? I'm here to bring some sweet news to you all! Today, we've just had some price drops on some awesome NISA games! Here are the titles that have been affected by today's price reduction:

DPC.jpg

• ClaDun X2 - $19.99 $9.99
  • Cladun of Champions (w/ DLCs) - $39.99 $1.99
  • Disgaea PC - $19.99 $14.99
  • htoL#NiQ: The Firefly Diary (w/ DLCs) - $14.99 $9.99
  • Phantom Brave PC (w/ DLCs) - $19.99 $14.99
  • Stranger of Sword City - $39.99 $19.99
Visit our NIS America Steam Page here!

GrandKingdom.jpg

• PSYCHO-PASS: Mandatory Happiness (PS Vita) - $39.99 $29.99
  • Grand Kingdom (PS Vita) - $39.99 $29.99
  • Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited (PS Vita) - $39.99 $29.99
  • Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention (PS Vita) - $39.99 $29.99
  • Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (PS Vita) - $39.99 $29.99
  • Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (PS Vita) - $39.99$29.99
  • Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair (PS Vita) - $39.99 $29.99
  • Criminal Girls 2: Party Favors (PS Vita) - $39.99 $29.99
BRS.jpg

• Blade Dancer: Lineage of Light (PSP/PSVITA) - $7.99 $4.99
  • Black Rock Shooter The Game (PSP/PSVITA) - $19.99 $14.99
  • Aedis Eclipse: Generation of Chaos (PSP/PSVITA) - $7.99 $4.99
  • Generation of Chaos: Pandora's Reflection (PSP/PSVITA) - $19.99$9.99
  • Mana Khemia: Student Alliance (PSP/PSVITA) - $9.99 $4.99
  • Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness (PSP/PSVITA) - $14.99 $9.99
  • Disgaea Infinite (PSP/PSVITA) - $14.99 $9.99
  • Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days (PSP/PSVITA) - $19.99 $14.99
DD2.jpg

• The Witch and the Hundred Knight (PS3) - $29.99 $19.99
  • Legasista (PS3) - $19.99 $9.99
  • Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness (PS3) - $39.99 $19.99
  • Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice (PS3) - $14.99 $9.99
  • Battle Princess of Arcadias (PS3) - $29.99 $19.99
D5.jpg

• Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance (PS4) - $59.99 $39.99
  • PSYCHO-PASS: Mandatory Happiness (PS4) - $49.99 $39.99
  • The Witch and the Hundred Knight: Revival Edition (PS4) - $39.99 $29.99
  • Grand Kingdom (PS4) - $49.99 $39.99
We really do hope you enjoy all these games at their new, lower prices! Cheers to a million sardines, dood!

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Good for us, but I'm worried that NIS is in a bad place right now. They've been one foot in the grave ever since Disgaea 5 did poorly and they haven't really been able to get back up. This seems like an act of desperation.

Martius

Liturgist

Nice to officially know. I thought that one of recent Falcom localization would makes sense, althought my bet was on NISA with Ys.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Good decision from Aksys, I guess. I heard their PC port of Mind Zero was louzy.

Executr

Cipher
President of Nihon Falcom: “We Want All of Our Games on Steam”
Earlier this month, TechRaptor had the chance to interview Toshihiro Kondo, the president of Nihon Falcom – the developers of both the Ys and Legend of Heroes series. We’ve got our full interview coming up soon, but one specific answer to one of our questions stood out from the rest, more or less confirming that the company hopes to release all of their titles on PC, in one way or another, going forward. The translation for Kondo-san’s answer was provided by NIS America.

TechRaptor: It’s been said that Ys VIII’s PS4 release was made to target the west, though it and a few other “modern” Falcom titles are all receiving PC ports lately. Has Falcom been actively pursuing PC versions for more recent releases in the west?

Toshihiro Kondo: We have no hesitation about releasing games on Steam. Rather, given that we don’t have a large staff, we mainly have to rely [on] partners to help us realize a PC port. When we first started releasing games on Steam, we were initially unsure of whether or not players would want to play our older games. However, as we gradually released games on Steam and saw the very positive reaction that was much greater than we expected, we feel like we want all of our games that come out to [release] on Steam.

Although Kondo’s words might not be too shocking considering recent events – XSEED Games are releasing Trails of Cold Steel I/II on PC later this year, Aksys Games will release Tokyo Xanadu eX+ on Steam around the same time of the PS4 release, and of course NIS America is releasing Ys VIII on Steam at the same time as the western PS4/Vita release – it’s still nice to see the words come out officially, nonetheless. At this point, it feels safe to say that whenever Trails of Cold Steel III gets a western release announcement, a PC release won’t be far behind.

Source: https://techraptor.net/content/president-nihon-falcom-games-on-steam

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Square Enix released some new screenshots for Lost Sphear, the next game developed by the 'I Am Setsuna' developers.

As much as I wanted to like their last game it ended up fairly mediocre so I'm not really holding out hope for this one.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Playism will releases Lost Technology, a doujin strategy game:

ss_83fd2df0edddbbde66f855b7c7e017d704e673a8.600x338.jpg

Description

Lost Technology is a real-time-strategy (RTS) siege game.The game is centred around three major phases:

Phase One: Turn-Based War Strategy
Recruit units, and build your army. Find those who will fight for you, command their movements and formation to smoothly prepare to assault your enemy’s territories, or being diplomacy to build peaceful and prosperous relations.

Phase Two: Real-Time Battle
Co-ordinate your army and navigate them through the battle field. With a variety of terrains, attacks and formations, utilize them all to overpower and defeat your enemy.

Phase Three: Story Event
Play through scenarios, each triggered by special events within the game. Your choices and interactions here will affect your strategy and progression.

You must take control of all territories to complete the game.

Unfortunately, as Playism admits, its translation is incomplete. They only translated scenarios of three factions out of twelve, due to a large amount of text:

The differences between the Japanese and English versions

Lost Technology is a simulation game in which over 100 characters comprising a total of 12 different factions battle to conquer each other’s territories. The faction chosen at the beginning will determine the conversations and events that occur throughout the game between the player and the other factions.Based on a strategy simulator called Vahrenturga, this original scenario is currently being distributed as a free game in Japanese.

This is a game with a heavy reliance on the scenario, so it contains a large amount of text. Ideally we would like to provide fully localized versions for each respective faction, however, it was decided that a full localization would be extremely difficult to provide all at once, and so only the three factions known as the Reinald Empire, Makan, and Álfheim are included in the English release.

It is possible to start with the other factions, however, events will not occur, and only the simulation part of the game may be played.

The Japanese version still contains the currently available free version, all of the basic functions without changes, and all factions are included in full right off the bat. However, it will be distributed as a paid title due to adjustments made specifically for Steam and the addition of trading cards, etc.

We currently plan to look carefully at how this title sells (including sales within Japan), and will proceed with the localization of the remaining factions in accordance with the sales numbers. The remaining factions are set to be distributed as additional DLC in the future.

Please stay tuned for more news regarding further details.

Please help us to be able to provide players with Lost Technology in its full glory.

getter77

Augur
Pretty disappointing news on Lost Technology given how long ago they first started talking about it---this is not the sort of approach they need to get in the habit of doing, not when there's already a growing perception of tech woes and lackluster performance with most of their recent titles not getting proper polish and follow through.

I mean, I surely hope the numbers are ultimately there to get everything done up proper...but they aren't exactly instilling much hope or confidence at this junction.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Coming to Early Access.

Out now.

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
“While we do have a planned set frame of about two months, we are willing to extend this time period as long as we feel that the requirements of gamers are not met.”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
“In addition to working out obvious bugs and everything that is currently available in-game, we plan on the full version to have the following features.

-Implementation of Steamworks
-Addition of an island dedicated specifically for users to mod
-Improvement on character customization, specifically the "Tattoo System 2.0"
-Replayable Colosseum mode
-Additional side quests
-Additional dungeons”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?
“Upon initial release on early access, players can expect GOKEN to have the following features.

-Full story driven old-school ARPG (playable to the end!)
-Dual weapon wielding with kick butt animations
-Seamless and large open world for users to experience
-Fantasy world drawn in beautiful 2D artwork with 3D characters
-Very unique and catchy scores to accompany the world
-Character customization "Tattoo System" that allows players to create unique builds
-Weapon upgrade system through materials to loot”

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom