Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News DEMIURGOS, an alternate history RPG-adventure set in a modern Ancient Greece, now on Kickstarter

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Are you new to this? We don't do fundraisers for Kickstarters that haven't met their base goal.

In this case, the developers have actually opened PayPal funding on their website already (which is dumb of them), but even if we gave to that the Kickstarter would fail regardless. And it would mean the Codex is basically trying to single-handedly fund the game, which would be a crazy idea even if it was actually successfully (it wouldn't be).

Daniel Bill

DemiurgExMachina
Developer
Sorry for any language mistakes, our translator isn't available at the moment and I wanted to answer.

Backed this - looks very interesting. I hope they can get more coverage and hit their goal.

Thank you very much.

I agree that it is unlikely that they will hit their goal but with a goal that low one two shoutouts by larger KSs or magazines could still turn this around.

Thats my hope. We also have the interview coming. I really think that this could make a lot more clear and turn some peoples opinion.
I refuse to believe, that there is no market for this game. I think people just dont trust us enough and our reach isn't large enough.

In this case, the developers have actually opened PayPal funding on their website already (which is dumb of them)

I just did that because credit cards are very uncommon in europe, especially among younger people. There was not a single incoming donation. I removed the reference from the description
and of course I would have put the incoming money in the campaign myself unless we would have been over the funding goal already.
To be honest, I actually really thought that reaching our goal - with all what we achieved in the last 2 years - wouldn't be that much of a problem. Obviously my assumption was wrong.
Sorry if I disappointed you and other people who support this project. Thanks for your help.

It's not dumb if it's a scam or if they are going to complete the game regardless of the fund raising situation.

It's not a scam, but how should I prove it to you if all the videos and texts couldn't convince you. We won't be able to finish the game without the money we are asking for in the campaign.
If it isn't successfull we will most propably do something else with the foundation we developed in the last two years, but it would always be just a shadow of our original plans.
Maybe we would try to simply sell the code pieces. Maybe we would try to get access of an university fund, at the university I work at. But since this is a game and games are neither
art or something serious in general for the people who decide this, I would strongly assume that this is not an option for us.

Today or tomorrow there will be the next update where I talk about the interface, show all the remaining tabs in the main menu (Great Persons, Skills, Card-Overview, Notes, Books, Newspapers, Sanity)
and talk a bit more about the Great Persons and their function in the game in general.

We will keep fighting until the last minutes of the campaign. At least for the sake of having a failed but great campaign page on Kickstarter.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
and of course I would have put the incoming money in the campaign myself

That could have gotten you in trouble, so it's a good thing it didn't happen.

To be honest, I actually really thought that reaching our goal - with all what we achieved in the last 2 years - wouldn't be that much of a problem. Obviously my assumption was wrong.

Even the smallest goal requires a minimum of press attention. Sadly, by launching the Kickstarter, you may have actually reduced your chances of getting any. I think your game looks like the kind of project that should be funded, but now you've "proven" that it isn't, so nobody will publish anything about it!

Unwanted

Wehraboo

Unwanted
The point is, if you don't make the game then you already have the money through paypal so yes that can be seen as a scam. But if you will make the game anyway then it does not matter. However you have already said now that is not the case, so then you should not be taking paypal because you are giving yourself a legal obligation to make this game which you have just said you are not necessarily going to make, and money taken that way also makes it less likely you will make your KS goal.

As for making the goal infinitron is probably right. You should most likely build up your fan base before you do a KS because if people see a KS with no money on it then they tend to ignore it and assume it's crap. If they see a KS that looks likely to make it they pay more attention, and may even donate more than they otherwise would have in order to see it funded.

Daniel Bill

DemiurgExMachina
Developer
I think your game looks like the kind of project that should be funded, but now you've "proven" that it isn't, so nobody will publish anything about it!

I totally get what you mean. Theory of Masses.
It's too late now. I really believe that we still have a chance and if not: live goes on and there will always be ideas and opprtunities.
Maybe I will do a zombie survival game. jk.

Last edited:

Daniel Bill

DemiurgExMachina
Developer
The point is, if you don't make the game then you already have the money through paypal so yes that can be seen as a scam.

You may be right. Of course I would have sent the money back. But yeah, it could be seen as a scam.
I just logged into PayPal and there is still a balance of 0.00. I'm ok with Photoshop so I don't even bother showing you a screenshot.
But I also removed the button from the website, so there is no way to donate money anymore.

As for making the goal infinitron is probably right. You should most likely build up your fan base before you do a KS because if people see a KS with no money on it then they tend to ignore it and assume it's crap.

He is not only right. He is totally right. I just thought 8k... Come on. We have a trailer, 21min preview video, all these screenshots, gifs, explanations.
But as I already mentioned: My assumptions were wrong. I am sorry. Lets hope we get some media coverage anyway.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
He is not only right. He is totally right. I just thought 8k... Come on. We have a trailer, 21min preview video, all these screenshots, gifs, explanations.
But as I already mentioned: My assumptions were wrong. I am sorry. Lets hope we get some media coverage anyway.

8K seems like a small enough amount in the scheme of what a large company can raise on KS. If you had launched the KS a couple of years back, the assumption may well have been a safe one. Most of the reading I've done on KS points to it becoming more difficult to raise funding on, especially if you aren't very well known. Games is a very hotly contested category.

Throwing around a few ideas: even if it doesn't work for you this time, it's an interesting concept you have, and it looks well put together - you could start working on building a community (also difficult) and have another go months down the line. Good chance many of your current backers would re-back. It's possible that the 21 minute preview may not be doing you any favours, most people won't watch something that long unless they are heavily invested in it (it's a hard sell if it's their first contact with the game). Feels like the teaser doesn't give enough info, while the preview gives too much. Most of the advice seems to point to shorter being better, focusing only on the essentials, with a range of 3 - 6 mins. Nothing stopping you making additional videos to cover specific areas. Also, there seems to be a disconnect between the main image you are using and the game - it doesn't really give any sort of indication about the type or setting of the game.

Hope it doesn't seem like I'm being overly critical, and good luck!

Last edited:

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
After the downfall of the feudal system, great persons tried to build a completely new order upon its ruins
History is not moving forward on the whims of "great persons" but I guess someone must have read something more serious than Lord of the Rings to understand that.

Also, there is no "downfall" of an economic system. A newer system, that has the potential to solve the internal contradictions and bottlenecks of the older system, tears the latter down. Using the term "downfall" downplays the struggle between systems and implies that a system is like an overly ripened apple that fell off the tree someday because the wind blew.

Yet another game that strives to be deep and profound, and it might be a good as a game, mind you, but its approach on how societies and systems work are ultimately as relevant and useful as bat-nipples are on the bat suit.

And this is why I prefer playing games like Dark Souls these days. At least they don't pretend to have some relevance to social struggles like most run-of-the-mill pseudo-intellectual cancerous growths like Tyranny do.

Daniel Bill

DemiurgExMachina
Developer
7 Days to Die: Auschwitz Edition?
Hey, I am german!
No Holocaust jokes!

Throwing around a few ideas: even if it doesn't work for you this time, it's an interesting concept you have, and it looks well put together - you could start working on building a community (also difficult) and have another go months down the line. Good chance many of your current backers would re-back. It's possible that the 21 minute preview may not be doing you any favours, most people won't watch something that long unless they are heavily invested in it (it's a hard sell if it's their first contact with the game). Feels like the teaser doesn't give enough info, while the preview gives too much. Most of the advice seems to point to shorter being better, focusing only on the essentials, with a range of 3 - 6 mins. Nothing stopping you making additional videos to cover specific areas. Also, there seems to be a disconnect between the main image you are using and the game - it doesn't really give any sort of indication about the type or setting of the game.

Good suggestions. Difficult to task for now.
In general I can't really say if I personally would try it again in a month or so. It would be technically and financially possible, but better one failed Kickstarter than two of them lol

Daniel Bill, if the KS fails, would you guys still make the game if someone forked over 8k for a small ownership interest?
Short: Yes.
Long: Depends on the conditions.
I myself already invested more than 3k € and more than 35k in unpaid work I guess, if I would have been paid minimum wage the last two years. And there are still many, many hours of work left. On the other hand for someone from outside it would be surley considered a high-risk investment. Due to this I am not sure if we could reach an agreement. But if there is such a person, feel free to contact us!

Last edited:
Unwanted

Wehraboo

Unwanted
After the downfall of the feudal system, great persons tried to build a completely new order upon its ruins
History is not moving forward on the whims of "great persons" but I guess someone must have read something more serious than Lord of the Rings to understand that.

Also, there is no "downfall" of an economic system. A newer system, that has the potential to solve the internal contradictions and bottlenecks of the older system, tears the latter down. Using the term "downfall" downplays the struggle between systems and implies that a system is like an overly ripened apple that fell off the tree someday because the wind blew.

Yet another game that strives to be deep and profound, and it might be a good as a game, mind you, but its approach on how societies and systems work are ultimately as relevant and useful as bat-nipples are on the bat suit.

And this is why I prefer playing games like Dark Souls these days. At least they don't pretend to have some relevance to social struggles like most run-of-the-mill pseudo-intellectual cancerous growths like Tyranny do.

Things work by magics obvs

Vladimuar

Savant
Is it Bukowski between Jung and Darwin on your KS page? I have to pick up all empty bottles in my room and find a refund machine.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Okay I wasn't going to back it as real life has poisoned my view of politics and if a game striving for historical plausibility gets things wrong it will trigger me no end. But we've got a bona fide developer here who is not afraid to answer questions and that deserves a reward. Also, game looks good.

I'm a libertarian - come at me bros!

Although I'm annoyed at being credited as a 'Liberalist'. I aint no stinking liberal.

Daniel Bill

DemiurgExMachina
Developer
I'm a libertarian - come at me bros!
Thank you very much for your support!

Although I'm annoyed at being credited as a 'Liberalist'. I aint no stinking liberal.
This is one of the many annoying things regarding language difficulties. In german its easy:

Liberalist
Sozialist
Imperialist

All with the -ist ending, referencing that it is more a ideologic view and not just an opinion. Obviously this is different in other languages.
In the dictionary I found Libertarian and Liberalist as translations for Liberalist in german. Could you explain the difference for me? I think its some old - new world misunderstanding.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
In the dictionary I found Libertarian and Liberalist as translations for Liberalist in german. Could you explain the difference for me? I think its some old - new world misunderstanding.

As a native English speaker :obviously: I don't recognise 'liberalist' as being a common word. I'd read it as 'liberal supporter' as in one who supports the ideology of liberalism. A stronger sense than someone who is just a liberal.
Libertarian is not the same as liberal or liberalist. It's more a sense of allowing individual rights and a balance between my rights and your rights with a sense of personal responsibility taking preference. For example, my rights are as valuable as your rights and do not take priority. Likewise the other way around.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive

As a native English speaker :obviously: I don't recognise 'liberalist' as being a common word. I'd read it as 'liberal supporter' as in one who supports the ideology of liberalism. A stronger sense than someone who is just a liberal.
Libertarian is not the same as liberal or liberalist. It's more a sense of allowing individual rights and a balance between my rights and your rights with a sense of personal responsibility taking preference. For example, my rights are as valuable as your rights and do not take priority. Likewise the other way around.
That is indeed how I would interpret it as well as a native English speaker

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom