Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Hm, should I create another thread for these (games newly listed on Steam that probably are not asset flippers and may interest some Codexers) posts?

Helium Rain, "a single-player space simulation that places you at the helm of a spacefaring company. Exploration, trading, station-building, piracy are all options":

Sine Mora EX
, enhanced edition of 2012 shmup:

ss_80090d4c5a73d4d05b324df2cc5e516eb17e08bd.600x338.jpg

Evil Genome, 3D side scrolling metroidvania from Chinese indie team:

ss_df126b0b5ba162b9951df36bf7ef44ed5e81bc87.600x338.jpg

PC Building Simulator, cause the miners hid all the real world graphics cards:

ss_7680a4dc5d03f15350788dc3a466db218eb3ea17.600x338.jpg

Latelistener

Arcane
Hm, should I create another thread for these (games newly listed on Steam that probably are not asset flippers and may interest some Codexers) posts?
This thread is "busy" mostly during sales. Most of the time there is nothing to discuss, so I don't think you should move that information somewhere else.

Btw, Doom DLC are now free (it's also free weekend):

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Nowhere Prophet, "a roguelike deck-building game set in a post-apocalyptic future":

ss_d107797e6c0838bdf54681b45b506a42178ecf65.600x338.jpg

A Robot Named Fight!, "a metroidvania roguelike focused on exploration and item collection":

ss_c99ef0607a228530ef35a769eba9db90aa6956da.600x338.jpg

Eagle Island, a metroidvnia roguelike where a boy abusing his owl:

ss_d9d6b1b1565d2d7540444a00215bf8ee5f96d250.600x338.jpg

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
A Robot Named Fight!, "a metroidvania roguelike focused on exploration and item collection":

ss_c99ef0607a228530ef35a769eba9db90aa6956da.600x338.jpg

"Hi, this is Nintendo and welcome to Cease and Desist!"

---

The only game I see a reason to mention isn't due until next year, but it looks promising:

"Join a team of badass space dwarves in this stylish 1-4 player co-op FPS. Fight, dig and explore your way through enormous procedurally generated cave systems, uncover the riches, and make it out alive..."

Everything in those caves can be exploded, be it the monsters, cave walls or your fellow dwarves. :)

This thread is "busy" mostly during sales. Most of the time there is nothing to discuss, so I don't think you should move that information somewhere else.

Btw, Doom DLC are now free (it's also free weekend):

>free weekend

I looked at the reviews and it's actually a shareware version. The game stops after two levels and asks you to purchase it. Its not a demo because it's 55-60 GB. Now THAT's the real oldschool Doom experience. :lol:

edit: http://steamcommunity.com/stats/654880/achievements

4.5%
Dreamiest Daddy
Go on every date with every dad.

sluts

Last edited:

Latelistener

Arcane
I looked at the reviews and it's actually a shareware version. The game stops after two levels and asks you to purchase it. Its not a demo because it's 55-60 GB. Now THAT's the real oldschool Doom experience. :lol:
It's not surprising, considering that you can probably complete the game in 10 hours or so. I had a feeling there has to be some kinda underwater rock.

:betrayed:

As an aside it never ceases to amaze me how fucking bloated games these days are. A NuDOOM install takes up something like 80 GIGABYTES. I mean how can you not laugh at that shit.

Last edited:

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
but MEGATEXCHURRS, maaaan. there's hardly any noticeable difference and even your damn guns have texture pop-in. Carmack wtf are you doin m8?

Latelistener

Arcane
Oh, they can compress, but they don't want to, since consoles are using blu-ray discs (~50 GB capacity) for games now. The reason why game's sizes become overbloated so suddenly since ~2014.
Megatexture has nothing to do with it.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Stranded Deep has only 300 Mb or so - whereas a mostly menu driven game with very low poly models like Motorsport Manager has 15 Gb

It makes no sense whatsoever to try and explain this with textures or sound data. The real reason is gross incompetence and how fucked up Unity users creators are. They basically put up every pebble in the game manually, whereas a programmer would just reduce 99% of this to a lightweight internal process.

In other words, those people have basically missed why computers were invented in the first place. Instead of putting the enigma code into a computer for decryption they plaster it with 3d models until it no longer responds.

Dexter

Arcane
So? He's largely responsible for the megatexture shit in D44m
http://www.dsogaming.com/interviews...n-mega-textures-pbr-global-illumination-more/
DSOGaming: Does DOOM use Mega-texturing? And how were you able to overcome the previous engine limitations regarding dynamic lighting and multi-GPU support that affected all id Tech 5 games?

Tiago: For supporting dynamic lighting and to improve texture quality, we evolved Mega-Textures into a simpler, more performant solution that is more disk friendly, and has faster iteration times for art as well. Simple features like tilling were added; a new dynamic decaling solution was also introduced; texture inputs are now also a form of baked G-buffer input, so the common PBR inputs like Albedo, Smoothness, Normals and so on.

For multi-GPU we tried to mitigate inter-frame dependencies as much as possible to help IHVs achieve a fairly decent scaling.

Also, what exactly is the problem with downloading 60-80GB, playing a game and deleting it? I'd rather DL 70GB+ for a uniquely designed world with varied textures and assets like GTA V or Red Dead Redemption 2 that don't look like they were designed by a procedural generation algorithm.

Remember they used that as a "selling point" for crap like Nu Male's Sky as if that was somehow positive or it mattered: https://nowloading.co/posts/4016925

Btw. RAGE that actually has Megatextures for the entire world is only 21GB (I'd love to download a Higher Res Pack for that game that doesn't look blurry as fuck the closer one gets, since some parts of it looked really good but it only ever released on Xbox 360), while DOOM is 67GB installed.

Burning Bridges

Also, what exactly is the problem with downloading 60-80GB, playing a game and deleting it? I'd rather DL 70GB+ for a uniquely designed world with varied textures and assets like GTA V or Red Dead Redemption 2 that don't look like they were designed by a procedural generation algorithm.

What the fuck is wrong with you people?

Latelistener

Arcane
I'd rather DL 70GB+ for a uniquely designed world with varied textures and assets like GTA V or Red Dead Redemption 2 that don't look like they were designed by a procedural generation algorithm.
Crysis 3 is only 14 GB, and it's still one of the best looking games out there. Definitely better than Doom.
Games became overbloated in size after 2014 not because of better visuals.

8xFWMEe.jpg

Gerrard

Arcane
BUT DUDE
ALL THOSE CPU CYCLES WASTED ON DECODING COMPRESSED AUDIO DUDE

This is literally what Splash Damage used as an excuse with Titanfall.

Burning Bridges

BUT DUDE
ALL THOSE CPU CYCLES WASTED ON DECODING COMPRESSED AUDIO DUDE

This is literally what Splash Damage used as an excuse with Titanfall.

It has been considered to record the entire game as a 5-dimensional video and then move through it along a 4d path. That would reduce CPU cycles to that of a toaster. Of course this would increase the storage requirement to Petabytes but only a question of larger harddisks

Dexter

Arcane
I'd rather DL 70GB+ for a uniquely designed world with varied textures and assets like GTA V or Red Dead Redemption 2 that don't look like they were designed by a procedural generation algorithm.
Crysis 3 is only 14 GB, and it's still one of the best looking games out there. Definitely better than Doom.
Games became overbloated in size after 2014 not because of better visuals.

8xFWMEe.jpg
Haven't played Crysis 3, but afaik wasn't it a console-optimized corridor-level shooter like Crysis 2 and had to fit on a Dual-Layer DVD for Xbox 360 console release, so it "sells a lot"? http://answer.ea.com/t5/Crysis-Games/Crysis-3-FAQ/td-p/164182 That's one of the main reasons why RAGE had low-res textures all over too when close-up, since they couldn't fit high-res ones on the space they had available and it was already considered large for the time: http://www.gamesradar.com/rage-360-3-disc-behemoth/

Frankly I really don't care, they can make them 200GB+ if they think it will improve the visuals and they can make the game look more unique, a game limited to a single DVD ain't going to look like this: https://www.gamespot.com/forums/sys...stunning-screenshots-how-it-really--31983928/ It takes like slightly over 4 hours to download 100GB on a 50Mbit pipe and I got a 6TB WD Black only for games with several TB for the Steam folder alone. I was happy that they went Blu-Ray with the new consoles and had 8GB of RAM for bigger assets and higher res textures and stopped being so size-restrained. In the corporate sector there's already 50TB single-disk SSDs being sold and neither software nor video or audio is going to get any smaller in the future: http://www.zdnet.com/article/viking-technology-unveils-worlds-biggest-50tb-ssd/

I guess it can be of academic interest how small a game can be and still look interesting, but I don't see it as anything beyond that: http://www.theproduct.de/

Last edited:

Melcar

Arcane
Not everyone has 50Mbit lines and some have metered connections. No, money is not the only issue, since not everyone lives in an area with such high speeds readily available.
Games have gotten to ridiculous sizes and sometimes they don't look any better than other smaller games from years back.

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom