Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

7 Mages - turn-based blobber where you play a party of mages

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I didn't really have more than three effective "classes" in the game (IIRC) - bard stuff, pure casting stuff, and one gish-ish character. There's probably not enough build variety in the game, but it's also pretty short and cheap, so it evens out well.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Saw it on sale for about 4 jewro, bought it and it's good for what it is. I mean the writing is hillarious even in Czech (so translators are not the real culprits) and so far my toughest opponent has been the UI but it does scratch that nostalgic 1990 blobber itch more than abundantly. I'm pretty much at the beginning, just exploring the swamps, but the combat is enjoyable, it's party and turn based and looks and plays well enough, even tho it can't compare with true classics size and complexity wise. Imagine Lands of Lore with 7 characters and TB combat. Considering the piddling price it's no brainer for blobber fans.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Just wandering why 7 Mages is on the RPG Codex curators recommended list.

You might was well stick Bards Tale on there then as it includes the original BT1-3 and they are all superior to this one.

I do have a slight problem when 'mobile' games are ported over onto PC. Sometimes they can be good. This one isn't.

7 Mages is probably the worst Blob I have seen for a while. Swords and Sorcery - Underworld - Definitive Edition, is about 100 times better.

It's bugged. Crashed a lot.

Five inventory slots? Might lead someone to think the game might be simple, and it is.

Terrible interface and reaction times. Things are slow.

Game states you are in combat when you are not.

I will give it one more go before I move on to one of the versions of BT2 that are kicking around.

V_K

Arcane
Reflect a beam of light on a door (there were 3 of them IIRC, you have to do them in a sequence). Don't remeber exactly how, maybe put it on a wall somewhere. Also might be that you need true sight active to see the beam. My memory of that level is extremely fuzzy, sorry.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Thank you, there was in fact a hook where I could hang the shield !
Nice game, by the way, light-hearted and pleasant.

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
:necro:

So has anyone played this yet? Any comments on its quality?

this game looks like shit. come on ppl, havesome fucking standards.

go play elminage or wizardry empire series instead.

How do i do that without learning japanese? Are there (complete) english translations out there somewhere?

Last edited:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer

V_K

Arcane
So has anyone played this yet? Any comments on its quality?
Since my honeymoon with the game is long over, I can give you a fairly objective rundown. Or you can look for other opinions in the game's dedicated thread in general RPG section.

The good:
- Level design is fantastic. I stand by that opinion even now. Locations are all very varied, and present different mechanics and challenges both in terms of puzzles and in terms of combat considerations/limitations.
- Party splitting and positioning-affecting abilities (both for PCs and enemies) that you don't often see in blobbers.
- Music-based magic is innovative and fun. The variety of spells and abilities is generally pretty great.
- It's a turn-based blobber with a 7-strong party. When was the last time we got one of those?

The bad:
- It was originally designed for mobiles. The worst consequence of that is that there can only be two enemy models per map, which most cases means there are exactly two enemy types per map (except rogue mages, which all use the same model). Naturally, this limits severely what can be done with encounters. The enemies themselves are pretty interesting and varied though.
- The build variety is very limited. Basically, you have fighters, mages, bards and maybe fighter/mages specializing in enchanted weapons (which are ridiculously OP). There's no real way to specialize them since spells are learned by the whole party at once, and skills only give a rather negligible bonus to damage.
- Itemization is limited and looting is nonexistent (each enemy type always has the same drops, that are usually only good to sell).
- Writing is bad. Though I'd say not Japanese-level bad. Certainly nowhere near Elminage.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Played it for a couple hours. Sort of a turn-based Grimrock with shops, an outside world and really bad (and sparse) NPC interactions.

Not sure I'm interested enough to continue. The slave ship seems like a nice idea though.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Played it for a couple hours. Sort of a turn-based Grimrock with shops, an outside world and really bad (and sparse) NPC interactions.

Not sure I'm interested enough to continue. The slave ship seems like a nice idea though.
I finished it and looking back it's full of nice ideas like that. It doesn't look like much at first but it grew on me.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I'm giving this game a spin right now, started with the mobile version then grabbed the Steam one. Pretty cool game so far! I like that you can build a more strength/speed/finesse type mage, that can use weapons as well as spells. The level design is fun and combat is turn-based and interesting. I enjoyed playing the mobile version on my tablet, and it seems to have a pretty epic scope. Will post more as I play. Also playing Stranger Of Sword City Revisited, Dark Sun & Grimoire so I'm not sure when I'll be able to get this one in but I'll try.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Yep in my book it's a hidden gem. A very good blobber. The only negative is the bad UI.

After playing a few hours more, I'd say OH yeah, this baby's a hidden gem alright. VERY cool blobber. I can only imagine how intricate it gets when u add the other mages (no spoilers please, thanks!). Audible clues to puzzles in dungeons, great atmosphere and sound work in that category, very interesting mechanics and tactical combat that seems like it can get quite DEEP. Loving it. :)

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
7 mages
:thumbsup:
Blobber
:stunned:
Mobile
:killit:
Eh... to be fair, turn-based blobbers are one of the (very few) types of games that can be ported to mobile without any inherent loss of gameplay depth.
Since the controls are already just "click button to do stuff" without any time pressure.

If this one is really good (no idea), nothing speaks against running it on Bluestacks or similar Android emulators.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Eh... to be fair, turn-based blobbers are one of the (very few) types of games that can be ported to mobile without any inherent loss of gameplay depth.

True but there are other losses.

This game is really good, one of the best blobbers I've ever played, a pureblood hardcore RPG with 1990s DNA, but the UI is p. terrible, precisely bc it's originally a mobile game. I got used to it eventually but it never stopped sucking.

mastroego

Arcane
The game is unlisted from Steam by developers. https://store.steampowered.com/app/446590/7_Mages/

I guess the developer is no more and whoever owns the game doesn't want to bother about it anymore.

what if one owned that already?

Then you still own it and can install it as long as Steam exists (there only very few rare cases where bought games have vanished from people who bought them)

It still sucks though as I had it in my wishlist or something.
I guess that ship has sailed.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
It still sucks though as I had it in my wishlist or something.
I guess that ship has sailed.

There are always other ships
piracy.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom