Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie developer blames game journalists for widespread Unity Engine hate

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Didn't Unity go full blown SJW/inclusive too? Maybe that has something do with the rant.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Mordheim had insanely long loading times and the developers blamed it on Unity and indeed managed to reduce them significantly after some update to the engine.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Didn't Unity go full blown SJW/inclusive too? Maybe that has something do with the rant.

Once the SJW get control of anything they destroy it.

BVtRyoK.jpg

Not all game developers are equal, therefore not all game engine developers are equal. There is no evidence for equality. Equality is bunk.

Gerrard

Arcane
Looking at a list of games to see if I've ever played any that didn't have Unity Problems and nope.
What, even PoE? Don't think it had any problems other than load times.
PoE has a Radeon 4850 listed in minimum requirements. It so happens that I had that card when the game came out. I had 15 FPS in the character creation screen, which shows 1 (ONE) character model.

Unwanted

Janise

Unwanted
I dont care about Unity's perf issues but one thing pisses me off.
Most games I played in Unity are budget top down titles. I fucking want 4xMSAA on them.
But deferred rendering...
And I cant afford to quadruple the res and scale down. Even if I could, Unity would probably choke considering that deferred rendering perf depends on resolution...

Siobhan

Arbiter
So, are you a programmer yourself by any chance? Are you speaking from experience? Because in my few years as a programmer I noticed that the leading causes of shitty code are either time constraints (your manager needs the fix now, or the higher ups will have his ass handed to him) or programmer's incompetence (either because the programmer is just inexperienced or he just sucks and should become a gardener or something).
Hmm, I actually expected you to make a different point, namely that attempts to optimize code are likely to introduce bugs and often make the code harder to maintain. Writing very clear and abstracted code usually requires performance sacrifices.

Explorerbc

Arcane
Not mentioned in this thread - Hearthstone. Rather large vote of confidence for the engine.

(hehe: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/hearthstone/topic/20753457637)

Hearthstone runs incredibly like shit given the type of game it is.

The loading screens stutter/get uresponsive for like half the playerbase on various devices, there are game glitches and bugs everywhere that haven't been fixed since the launch of the game, the game gradually eats up every resource on your machine, it is slow and clunky and I won't even touch features like reconnect which are totally broken.

Hearthstone run worse in my pcs than most other games and I used to think it was just them being old but then I would come across threads on reddit saying "does anyone else have to launch the game twice" or "does the searching opponent arrow get stuck for anyone else" that were full of people having the same problems.

I dunno if it is a Unity issue or Blizzard shitty programming skills though. I think a combination of both.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Hmm, I actually expected you to make a different point, namely that attempts to optimize code are likely to introduce bugs and often make the code harder to maintain. Writing very clear and abstracted code usually requires performance sacrifices.

From my experience it largely depends on the size and code quality of the project. Refactoring and optimization can be performed relatively risk-free even for medium sized projects, granted the code was well structured and well written in the first place. But you're right - any changes in code usually carry the risk of introducing new bugs.

Unity is shit, but the guy referenced by OP who's doing the complaining is a SJW faggot hack who can't code for shit and is trying to do some kind of moral grandstanding. Fuck off, make an actual game, and then talk.

Bloated middleware with a thousand integrated features is inevitable in a time when most developers are no longer engineers, but artsy types who are as distant from problem-solving as can be. That, compounded with millenial entitlement is a real fucking problem.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ignorants hating on what they don't understand, nothing new. Most people shitting on the Unity engine are shitting on it precisely because they don't know the first thing about development, and how much easier your life gets when you use the right SDK, or any kind of framework. They've just played shitty games and pin their technical problems on the engine, because they've heard its name a few times.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It doesn't really matter what kind of engine is used.All that matter is if the game is good or not.Now i am playing Mages of Mystralia and having great time,the game is in unity.

Gerrard

Arcane
Imagine if people today could program as good as people 25-30 years ago, who pushed the hardware to its limits because you couldn't say "Just upgrade your computer".

Superhot has a quad core CPU in minimum requirements.
:prosper:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Well that guy is an arrogant cocksucker. Nobody would hate on Unity if it didn't have well documented record of strikingly similar technical problems happening across different games made by different developers for different platforms. When 1,2,3 games run poorly I can blame that on incompetentce of individual devs. When everything I ever touch on Unity runs like ass, loads like ass, and looks like ass, then I'm gonna blame the engine, and I dare you to prove me wrong, motherfucker.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Well that guy is an arrogant cocksucker. Nobody would hate on Unity if it didn't have well documented record of strikingly similar technical problems happening across different games made by different developers for different platforms. When 1,2,3 games run poorly I can blame that on incompetentce of individual devs. When everything I ever touch on Unity runs like ass, loads like ass, and looks like ass, then I'm gonna blame the engine, and I dare you to prove me wrong, motherfucker.
Just upgrade your computer.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I can see your point of view.

But the reality is that it's just that - time constraints or incompetence. If you can accept for a fact that most games are shit nowadays, how hard is it to believe that most games are also shit from the technical standpoint?

There are games on Unity that don't have any problems like Ori and the Blind Forest, I also hear Rust and Cities Skylines can be included in that list, although I haven't played them myself.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think the OP tweeter believes that gamers think Unity sucks because "Unity == bad graphics/shovelware games", not because of performance/load time issues. He might even agree that Unity has performance issues.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I think the OP tweeter believes that gamers think Unity sucks because "Unity == bad graphics/shovelware games", not because of performance/load time issues. He might even agree that Unity has performance issues.

Do game journalists even cover bad graphics / shovelware games and emphasize that they were made with unity? When journalists talk about Unity, they do it for games like PoE, WL2, Hearthstone, Mordheim, BG and so on, even asking the dev in interviews about it. For shovelware, if reported at all, it's a half-sentence.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Do game journalists even cover bad graphics / shovelware games and emphasize that they were made with unity? When journalists talk about Unity, they do it for games like PoE, WL2, Hearthstone, Mordheim, BG and so on, even asking the dev in interviews about it. For shovelware, if reported at all, it's a half-sentence.

They don't, but I think what he's saying is that they do talk about game engines in general, so if shitty Unity games are mentioned in eg, Jim Sterling YouTube videos, gamers would make the connection.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom