Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News DEMIURGOS, an alternate history RPG-adventure set in a modern Ancient Greece, now on Kickstarter

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ok likely meeting for an interview next week (so he has time to prepare), Codex gib questions pls.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Ok likely meeting for an interview next week (so he has time to prepare), Codex gib questions pls.
Out of curiosity, will you talk in English for easier transcription or in German (or use German to clarify some things if necessary but use English mainly)?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Less than 2K gathered so far.
This will fail, unless we make a fundraiser - then he Codex can probably fund the game by itself. ;)

Love

Cipher
I am sure more learned men than I can clarify, but I find something weird about the use of "leviathan," a Hebrew term (apparently later a Latin word). I sort of assumed that in this setting Christianity never happened, so I'm not sure how the term would've come into general usage. The Greeks had their own word for, and legend regarding, a massive sea monster -- ketos -- the one that tries to eat Andromeda, and I believe that is the word that the Septuagint uses in lieu of "leviathan," so even if Greco-Christianity arose in this setting, I'm still not sure you'd get "leviathan."

This is obviously pretty persnickety, but it just feels off, particularly when considering twincast's point that you are forgoing the use of "Troy" in favor of the more obscure "Ilion" -- if you're going to go for verisimilitude, it seems like you ought to go all in.

It's a projection of the power structures of ancient Persia into a 19th century setting, not a Persia that has arrived the 19th century via alternative history. You'll probably encounter Jesus Christ, but as the description notes this is set in a time when man turned away from "god or tradition", which seems to suggest that Christianity or any other religion are going to be left out. There is no mention about religious believes.
Since the struggle between collectivism and individualism is the center theme of the game it seems fairly obvious that the title is a Hobbesian reference. His Leviathan just can't stop bothering us...

Also the developers throw in this line to cover themselves:

Pointing in a similar direction regarding histiography, the famous philosopher and social analyst Walter Benjamin believed that the Christian based understanding of history and time, the concept of temporality as a segment with genesis and apocalypse, is misguided.

Daniel Bill, can you please explain the line about relativistic views I quoted in the last sentence in this post.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Out of curiosity, will you talk in English for easier transcription or in German (or use German to clarify some things if necessary but use English mainly)?

German, for better results. I'll just translate while I transcribe the audio recording.

Love

Cipher
German, for better results. I'll just translate while I transcribe the audio recording.

Out of curiosity, will you talk in High German for easier transcription or in Hessian (or use Hessian to clarify some things if necessary but use High German mainly)?

Daniel Bill

DemiurgExMachina
Developer
The real 19th century lasted from Napoleon's defeat in 1814 to the start of the First World War in 1914.

jYuBjwq.jpg

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
People seem to be very serious when it comes to grammar and spelling mistakes (I propably can understand this a little...).
Ich bin ein Berliner.
just discovered that Daniel Bill is my colleauge at work.
That's... completely too convenient. Jarl, are you actually on his team?

Okay.
  1. Can you say why you decided to use the name Leviathan?
  2. What is your position within your group? (ie Programmer, Lead Programmer, Designer, etc.)
  3. Can you give a quick idea of the type of rules systems you'll be using?
  4. Besides English, what other translations are you planning?
  5. Why exactly did you pick Greek history to shift or do whatever it is you did?
  6. And speaking of which, can you give a better explanation of this concept that you're using? Not sure if it was the ESL, some meaning that was lost in translation or purposeful vagueness, (or perhaps stupidity on my part) but I found the explanation you gave on the Codex a bit... difficult to comprehend.

Daniel Bill

DemiurgExMachina
Developer
  1. Can you say why you decided to use the name Leviathan?
  2. What is your position within your group? (ie Programmer, Lead Programmer, Designer, etc.)
  3. Can you give a quick idea of the type of rules systems you'll be using?
  4. Besides English, what other translations are you planning?
  5. Why exactly did you pick Greek history to shift or do whatever it is you did?
  6. And speaking of which, can you give a better explanation of this concept that you're using? Not sure if it was the ESL, some meaning that was lost in translation or purposeful vagueness, (or perhaps stupidity on my part) but I found the explanation you gave on the Codex a bit... difficult to comprehend.

Great questions. Glad I will be able to answer them in german!
Have fun translating, JarlFrank. lol

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Backed this - looks very interesting. I hope they can get more coverage and hit their goal.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I agree that it is unlikely that they will hit their goal but with a goal that low one two shoutouts by larger KSs or magazines could still turn this around.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
No, but really, there should be Codex fundraiser.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom