Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I think SCS works fine without Dragonspear, since the newest version was released years before Dragonspear. If not you should google some answers, I think you need a few workarounds.

Well, I tried installing SCS with the BG EE versions some weeks ago, but encounterd a problem that apparantly can only be solved by installing a utility called ModMerge that requires Dragonspear.

My SCS installation now stops at
Reading in data: spellcodes
Copying and patching 1 file ...
[./override/spell.ids] loaded, 25681 bytes
ERROR: cannot convert level or %level% to an integer
ERROR: [spell.ids] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)
Stopping installation because of error.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, I tried installing SCS with the BG EE versions some weeks ago, but encounterd a problem that apparantly can only be solved by installing a utility called ModMerge that requires Dragonspear.

Reading in data: spellcodes
Copying and patching 1 file ...
[./override/spell.ids] loaded, 25681 bytes
ERROR: cannot convert level or %level% to an integer
ERROR: [spell.ids] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)
Stopping installation because of error.

Huh, weird. I think this is a justified reason to sail the Seven Seas tbh, or play the original with mods. I guess the newest EE patches screwed up something and SCS can't install. You can try SCS revised btw, it has the fixes already in it. I don't think it installs anything more if you don't have Spell Revisions. That's what I had to do to get SCS to install on BG2EE.

Parabalus

Arcane

Try installing it with BigWorldSetup, seems like a waste for just one mod but it made everything smooth for me.

So, I killed the last boss yesterday. Since I'm playing on Insane it truly was insane in a good way. Overall SoD is not bad and the story makes more sense than PoE's. That said, there's zero character drama, the characters make theatrically grand proclamations without having earned them and make little sense in context. It's absolutely disconnected from either BG1 or 2 in both tone and storyline. I actually struggle with finding the words to describe it because it's kinda ...nothing. It's basically one big mess with no coherent structure or idea. There are many little ideas that are strewn about and some of them are fun, but they don't gel well and don't amount to anything. Conflicts are resolved almost as fast as they pop up and are swiftly forgotten. Even big decisions like what to do with Bridgefort are swept under the rug and don't come up at all even at the end titular "siege". The siege itself can be resolved very fast if your main character is good at fighting and not dying from continual fire at the same time. I'm not gonna spoil anything because it's a new game, but there's nothing really TO spoil. The characters, their motivations and their actions are clear and obvious the moment they open their mouths. There's only one character who I thought would do something specific, but they didn't and it was even lamer for it. There's some class-based reactivity, it's token, but it's there.

Companions are very one-dimensional. I was running with Edwin, Viconia, Dorn, Baeloth and Corwin (with the Helm of Opposite Alignment). There's really nothing to say about Viconia, Edwin and Dorn, they are one-dimensional to a fault and just go through the motions. There was some jarring OOC talk from Viconia at two points, but that doesn't make her an interesting character. There's a lot of OOC talk in general and I found it in bad taste. Behind all his theatricalities Baeloth sometimes shows himself to be a petty sadist and he's creepy for it, if they had more writing talent he would've been a good character. I told Corwin to shut up about her personal life in the very beginning, but Lilura says she's the second best written character after M'khiin. Speaking of M'khiin, a LOT of the items in the game are tailored for her. She can pretty much be totally equipped with items either specifically made for her or for shamans in general. I was jealous lol.

There were some good encounters and some good itemization, but I thought that some items are too specific in their usage. Like an amulet that gives perma-Bless, but also + 1 Wisdom to ONLY Shapeshifters (the druid kit). There are many such items that are better for specific kits, as opposed to whole classes and, as a druid, I found 1 item for me and it was that amulet (while I'm not a shapeshifter). There are some well-made encounters, but generally it was pretty cheap on Insane. The game throws massive numbers of enemies at you on that difficulty and that's why the tactic of rounding up everything and bombarding them with Fireballs is so effective. They like to throw in a bunch of spellcasters as well and you are bound to fail a saving throw every. single. time. if you don't have immunities and sometimes it got frustrating. I wouldn't play it on a lower difficulty, though. The AI isn't stupid either and it will fuck you up even without big numbers. What more can I say? All in all it's a popcorn game, not a bad way to spend some time, but it won't blow your mind, quite the contrary, if you think too much about it it soils itself. If you want some more IE combat and want to start BG2 with a little bit more experience go for it.

I myself liked the items a lot, the ones which give a bonus to a class and an added bonus to a specific kit were a nice touch. There is a mod which adds the SoD items to Bg2, really liked it since some of them are very interesting.

Difficulty wise SoD def seemed harder than any vanilla IE game on insane (easier than SCS/Tactics obv.). Didn't try LoB but since it's similar to HoF the HP bloat is just boring here. The fight I had the most problems with was the rakshasa in the underground river, first I tried to drag him through the entire map (outlast defenses) and he slaughtered everyone. Ended up resorting to trap spam.

Didn't mind the NPCs except for the horrible voice acting. Found a mod to mute their sound and was pretty happy, they aren't that bad imo.

The game is pretty good, it's a shame it's dragged down by Beamdog's reputation and business practices.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It also got dragged down by Wizards of the Coast's business idiocy. Why didn't you let them release it as a standalone game, why? Beamdog should be bugging them about that every month. They could still pull a Dragonfall: Director's Cut.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The fight I had the most problems with was the rakshasa in the underground river, first I tried to drag him through the entire map (outlast defenses) and he slaughtered everyone. Ended up resorting to trap spam.

Rakshasas are immune to magical weapons below, and including, +3, there isn't a +4 weapon before BG2 and they are immune to spells of a circle below 8, you can't get to 6 as a mage, let alone 8 (up to SoD that is). It's not made as a fight you can beat, that's why he acts so cocky and so sure of himself, but you can circumvent it in some ways.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
Rakshasas are immune to magical weapons below, and including, +3, there isn't a +4 weapon before BG2 and they are immune to spells of a circle below 8, you can't get to 6 as a mage at all let alone 8 (up to SoD that is). It's not made as a fight you can beat, that's why he acts so cocky and so sure of himself, but you can circumvent it in some ways.

It's +2 or +3 depending on the type, this one is the former. If you have SCS installed you can breach (with the tweak) his PfMW regardless of immunity, but he teleports away after he's taken enough damage so it's not that simple. PC was evil and used scimitars so I wanted his to compliment Drizzt's, otherwise doing his riddle is obv. intended.

ArchAngel

Arcane
GOGsters are even more hostile than Codexers

Steam was probably the most mindlessly hostile towards SoD. GoG has more butthurt but they at least give reasons. Still, they are crybabies.
Steam lets you purchase the game, leave feedback and then immediately refund it. Probably most abused that. GoG is less popular so less of the internet warriors cared to leave a comment there.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
It must be said the tears that continue to flow on GoG are delicious re. EE and SoD.

So genuine. Codex tears are not genuine because Codex are not IE veterans; even reddit beats Codex on IE.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
I'll admit I purchased and refunded SoD to leave a rage filled review on steam.

I'd just been shown a compilation of all the horrible nonsensical things that they put in the "game" so I was totally justified in doing this.

I think when you become attached to characters over a series of games as long as BG was and then some "person" decides to shit all over them by making them do and say things that are completely out of character is quite disturbing. The sad thing is there were some genuinely good things in SoD like Irenicus the and the new player voice set by Irenicus. Baeloth was funny too Memedog must have used all their writing budget on him and outsourced the rest to fanfiction.net or tumblr.

As long as we all agree that SoD is fanfiction and not canon it is fine, it tarnishes the legacy of the real BG games to be associated with SoD.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
So I just got done with my SoD walkthrough update, and I posted my Final Word and rating for it out of 10 at the end of this post.

I know you guys have been waiting for months for this, so enjoy!

And don't forget to read my BG retrospective to get educated by a TRU Infinity Engine veteran.

Lacrymas

Arcane
7.5/10 is a bit generous :p

We need an "emotionally engaged" tag for people like Nerevar lol.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

I'd just been shown a compilation of all the horrible nonsensical things that they put in the "game" so I was totally justified in doing this.

I think when you become attached to characters over a series of games as long as BG was and then some "person" decides to shit all over them by making them do and say things that are completely out of character is quite disturbing. The sad thing is there were some genuinely good things in SoD like Irenicus the and the new player voice set by Irenicus. Baeloth was funny too Memedog must have used all their writing budget on him and outsourced the rest to fanfiction.net or tumblr.

As long as we all agree that SoD is fanfiction and not canon it is fine, it tarnishes the legacy of the real BG games to be associated with SoD.

I just finished my first and probably only playthrough of SoD but I didn't really notice characters acting all that out of character. Sure the writing was cringe-worthy most of the time and they didn't capture Edwins character at all for instance and it felt like poor fanfic, but acting completly out of character? I don't know...

Has things been significantly patched since release or something?

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
So I just got done with my SoD walkthrough update, and I posted my Final Word and rating for it out of 10 at the end of this post.

I know you guys have been waiting for months for this, so enjoy!

And don't forget to read my BG retrospective to get educated by a TRU Infinity Engine veteran.

I mostly agree with your assessment of the game but I have to ask why you consider Corwin to be well written. I felt like she was a poorly written "straight man" that didn't provide an interesting counterpoint to any other character. Her emotional struggle with her kid and the absentee father felt so out of place both in tone and subject for the game.

Also her VO somehow felt unengaging in some way, although I can't really pinpoint at what irks me about it.

I mean, compared to Neera she might have been good in that I didn't want to kill her, but well written?

Parabalus

Arcane
I just finished my first and probably only playthrough of SoD but I didn't really notice characters acting all that out of character. Sure the writing was cringe-worthy most of the time and they didn't capture Edwins character at all for instance and it felt like poor fanfic, but acting completly out of character? I don't know...

No, but throwing tantrums is an essential part of the KKKodex lifestyle.

There is a lot of bad and cringey af writing, fanfic as you say, but they tried (and failed) to stay near originals.

Lacrymas

Arcane

Viconia has 2 OOC quips that I noticed, they were uncharacteristically and genuinely altruistic of her. Edwin was simply awful and annoying to no end, but wasn't OOC. There WAS some frequent OOC talk from various characters (not necessarily companions), but they didn't break their one-dimensionality (not a word), they still had their one shtick and they were generally going through the motions. Like I said, the whole outrage is ideologically based and it's a deformation of facts. Yes, the writing is terrible (ironically enough, the main story, as a self-contained entity, makes more sense than PoE's, do with that as you will) and the characters feel like fanfic versions (technically they literally are), but to say they've completely changed them and oh, woe is me, my emotional engagement!!1!!!1! is disingenuous and, frankly, stupid.

To address the elephant in the room - yes, Mizhena is unbelievably illogical and utterly vapid and pointless.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
I can't say that Corwin is badly written per se. Sure, she's in contrast with the typical 'D&D PnP archetype' sort of thing that BG does. She's too normal in a universe where you can run into Minsc and Edwin in the same little town. But if anything that shows A) the cracks in the original memes characters from the saga and B) how poorly suited they are for a dialogue heavy game. Edwin, Minsc, Jaheira and Safana grow to become irritating if they don't ever grow beyond their own quirks. Which is why Shadows of Amn elaborated further on Minsc and Jaheira. Which Beamdog couldn't do.

So by herself I can't say that Corwin is badly written. Just look at some of the other ones. The gnome is a blatant attempt to one up Minsc. Dorn's first appearance in BG are two rogues acting as foils to detail his oh so edgy background. Baeloth and M'khinn were fun to play with, sure but Corwin is fine. She's just a soldier who wants to protect Baldur's Gate.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Corwin does not fit. All other new companions fit the crazy or goofy personality bg1 companions had. Even if they are irritating like Neera.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
7.5/10 Two off the metacritic score. Just ignore the userscore though I'm sure they are all "trolls" with invalid observations.
T-qB6.png

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Just ignore the userscore though I'm sure they are all "trolls" with invalid observations.
I think that's safe, yes.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
I honestly couldn't give SoD anything higher than a 4/10 and that is just me focusing on the good things in the game.

pippin

The 3,6 score isn't trolling then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom