Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Does Skyrim have good soundtrack?

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
.... Am I the only one who plays games on mute?

Mute? Yes.

But turning off the music is the first thing I do in most games. Still only know the menu track from Skyrim - wich, admittedly, is quite catchy.

I much rather have the pure atmosphere of the gameworld.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Skyrim's soundtrack is so good that many people think it's good game, just beceause they fail to divide gameplay from music. It's really good.

Jazz_

Arcane
Ye, I just checked who the composer is, and his previous work, and lol'd pretty hard.

I played most of these games, and I cant remember a single tune. For clarity - Beat KotoR N times, NWN 1 2-3 times, played shit ton of Morrowind, adequate amounts (50h?) of both Oblivion and Skyrim, so I could hate 'em proper, and sunk too much time in GW2. Also played a good deal of DSII. Alas, with the exception of GW2 and Skyrim, all of those were in my youth, but then again, I still know the OT of HoMM 3 and HoMM 4 by heart.

You don't remember this?

Todd_the_Liar

Novice
Skyrim music is bland. Most of the tracks don't have proper structure, they just meander aimlessly and puts you to sleep... but then again, the game is boring as fuck too so it's like a narcoleptic coma.

Sherry

Arcane
Hi!

I really like the atmosphere Skyrim music that comes on CD4 but if you did not get this package you can still enjoy it on yt right? It is nice because it is soft and has the atmosphere of blowing grass, crickets, singing birds and other atmospheres to get you in the mood for exploration it is really well done and is my favorite so I hope you come to enjoy it as much as I have while sneaking through the birch forests of Riften while the sun is rising and the warm glow of the sun illuminates the autumn foliage of the trees with bears and wolves out hunting is a lot of fun so hear it here!

Or how many of us explored the woodlands looking for the woodcutter's wife after reading a book of her roaming those pine forests hunting for new heads and thinking we heard her ghost screaming while searching at night time with the atmospheric music playing in the background and two full moons illuminating the forest floor how awesome is that? sadly unlike some other books in the game, the legend told in this book has no ties to in-game occurrences - from the wiki which is a shame. oh well keep on searching for new places!

It is not as good as the Pillars of Eternity OST but still pretty good.

Thanks,
Sherry

Last edited:

Todd_the_Liar

Novice
Yes but CD3 sounds like a bunch of hicks gathered around a campfire. I take it CD3 was composed by JS' son. I think he got his talent from his mother's side... or the milkman.

Todd_the_Liar

Novice
Nah, it's like elevator music... it dulls the pain of playing Skyrim.
bFmrMIo.jpg

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Skyrim's soundtrack adds a lot to the game's atmosphere. Without it, it really feels like just another forest/mountain/whatever. The music makes exploration so much more appealing, it adds a certain beauty that the game's visuals cannot convey.

I actually kept this one, though I don't think it was in the game:

Listened to some other tracks on YT and yep, they're still terrible/-y generic. Even the main theme is as formulaic as they come.

Deleted member 7219

Skyrim's soundtrack is so good that many people think it's good game, just beceause they fail to divide gameplay from music. It's really good.

A nice track. Yes, Skyrim had a great soundtrack. I think it is only fair to recognise this even if you are the most fervent Bethesda hater.

Starwars

Arcane
I love the Cd 4 atmospheres thing. Really loved putting it on after a day of work for a while.

People here like to shit on Soule but as far as I'm concerned the three soundtracks he's done for the Elder Scrolls are all pretty great. Original? Nope. Just really nice to listen to (except the combat tracks, fuck them).

Beastro

Arcane
Skyrim's soundtrack adds a lot to the game's atmosphere. Without it, it really feels like just another forest/mountain/whatever. The music makes exploration so much more appealing, it adds a certain beauty that the game's visuals cannot convey.

Much of this threads comments about Skyrim could apply to Dungeon Siege and his soundtrack for it, which was the main thing that stuck with me from it, especially:

The main theme was wayyy overdone though and inserted into too many songs.

Jarmaro

Liturgist

Much of this threads comments about Skyrim could apply to Dungeon Siege and his soundtrack for it, which was the main thing that stuck with me from it, especially:

The main theme was wayyy overdone though and inserted into too many songs.

Well, as you see it says it was made by the same person that made music for Skyrim, so...

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Is this some troll thread to test if people will shit on every aspect of AAA RPG titles?

Skyrim soundtrack is great, Witcher 3 OST is OK. For me W3 OST is interesting as it has a song in my native language (Belarusian, the one with grumpy woman shouting DOBRY VECHAR) which, to my knowledge, is automatically the biggest exposure of that language to the world. Plus it's subtle, certainly more so than famous Russian cultural heritage of Cheeki-Breeki.

Also there's a great track from Jeremy Soule - Skyrim Atmospheres. It's sort of ambient composed of game tracks, very subtle, very gentle. Doesn't play in the game, included as a whole separate disc in sountrack. That's what our friend Sherry was talking about.

Turjan

Arcane
Daguq? There's no free DLC for Skyrim beside the Hi-Res Patch
Technically, everyone who owned basic Skyrim and was on Steam on a certain day and had Skyrim automatically update got Dawnguard for free (true in my case). It was some kind of fluke, and neither Bethesda or Steam ever acknowledged it (probably so people don't notice), but if you got it, it was yours. It was not marked as owned on the Steam game page, but you could see and select it in-game.

Regarding ES soundtracks, I guess that's one of the few points Oblivion has going for it.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Morrowind's soundtrack is vastly overrated by comparison, it's REALLY short and it's the same songs repeating over and over again. That does not a good soundtrack make.

Uncle Skull

Educated
I didn't play the Witcher 3 but the soundtrack seems miles better, maybe because I am a bitch for authentic folk music. Skyrim has a ok OST but its way too "in the back" and forgettable, other than Sovernguarde. Kinda like Fallout 3/New Vegas where you don't hear the "real" OST since you are blasting the radio 24/7, except in Skyrim the soundtrack is just meek like that.

The main theme is surprisingly good, except for the retarded Dovakin thing, which sounds like some slav punk's surname.

Come to think of it, there's an orcish character named Durak in Skyrim, which is Russian for "fool". Intentional or not? Hmm.
There are more NPCs with names like this. I remember those two brothers in Whiterun, Farkas and Vilkas. Both mean "wolf" in Hungarian/Lithuanian.
Neat, but possibly cringy if you know the language.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Dovakin is certainly meant to sound Nordic. I know it has -in as in Slavic surnames but I assure to a Russian ear it sounds more Asiatic than Russian.

Farkas and Vilkas was too obvious and cringey, of course. But it's not like you find it surrounded by the masterpiece of characterization and storytelling. Also Durak is a very mild "fool" in Russian, so it's not a joke, modern Russians won't see it as an insult.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom