Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oblivion with mods (particular with a fist-fighting mode), sorry guys. And it's screaming "console game" (inventory, dialogs).
Wtf? He slashes him like 5 times, he just keeps on coming with a boxer stance. I though this game was supposed to be realistic.
I am excited about this game as any other guy but this is not what I expected.
They made the monk class overpowered.

Finally, archery. I don’t get time to try it out, but Tobi says “the bow is a pretty powerful weapon, but it has no crosshair in the middle. It will kill pretty much anyone,” but it’ll take a lot of skill to use.

Wait! Wasn't it supposed to be historical? Longbows did not kill people in high quality steel plate armor. Otherwise, there would have been no prisoner to murder at Agincourt...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Alternatively, another early quest sees Henry’s friends in a mischievous mood, with the idea to throw dung at someone’s house. You can trade your help with this task for theirs in beating up Kunesh. If you tell them you’re not interested, though, they will call you a loser and go do it anyway. “This game is not built around you,” Tobi says. “It does not wait for you – most things can happen without you.”

PrettyDeadman

Then memes

`¨ - 、     __      _,. -‐' ¨´
      | `Tーて_,_` `ー<^ヽ
      |  !      `ヽ   ヽ ヽ
      r /      ヽ  ヽ  _Lj
 、    /´ \     \ \_j/ヽ
  ` ー   ヽイ⌒r-、ヽ ヽ__j´   `¨´
           ̄ー┴'^´

are getting out of hand.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
DFGje_BW0AEDkhy.jpg

Modron

Arcane
What are you 90 years old hobo? If a 1 foot fall from a seated position would do all that to you your name must be mr glass.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
What would happen if that chair collapsed?

He would fall all the way to the center of the earth. Perhaps even pass through it and reach China.
That is physically impossible
a) due to energy losses he would oscilate around earth core until reaching a free-fall-like equillibrium at the centre
b) ocean area east of New Zealand is situated on the other side of the Earth, not China

Quillon

Arcane
b) ocean area east of New Zealand is situated on the other side of the Earth, not China

Yeah but while he's falling, earth will continue to spin, he won't make the journey instantly.

+1 for China.

kris

Arcane

Yeah but while he's falling, earth will continue to spin, he won't make the journey instantly.

+1 for China.

to far south, would end up in australia.

EDIT - checked globe, more like Tasmania. Damn I live far north, opposite the earth for me is just north of antarctica.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://monstervine.com/2017/07/hist...m-come-deliverance-interviewing-rick-lagnese/

Historical Accuracy and Kingdom Come Deliverance: Interviewing Rick Lagnese

I recently had the opportunity to interview Rick Lagnese, US Community Manager for Warhorse Studios, about their upcoming medieval story-driven RPG, Kingdom Come: Deliverance. We delved into the importance of historical accuracy, and an RPG without fantasy.

kc3-640x345.jpg

So to start, tell us a bit about Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

Rick Lagnese: Kingdom Come Deliverance is a game by Dan Vavra, who was also the creative director for Mafia 1 and 2. Kingdom Come takes place in Bohemia 1403, now know as the modern day Czech Republic. It’s an open world story-driven RPG, and it’s really based on Dan’s heritage and history. There are a lot of things that really did happen in history in the game, but how you get to these events in up to you.

You play as Henry, son of a blacksmith. He’s fictional, but you’ll see plenty of NPCs who are real people. There’s only one ending to the game, but how you get there is really up to you.

How did you end up working for Warhorse?

Rick: One day I was on Twitter, and IGN posted a clip of Dan travelling around the Czech Republic where he was talking about this medieval game with no dragons or magic, but realistic fighting and martial arts. I always wanted a game without fantasy and stuff, so I was really interested in this game. I was going to E3, and I really wanted to learn more about this game.

Warhorse made a post saying they needed help setting up a fan community-event party at E3, and I jumped on it immediately. I started talking with them, they followed me on Twitter, and we started Skyping. It was a great party, then they got in touch with me afterwards and they had me come to GDC San Francisco to show off the game, then shortly after they asked me to be the US Community Manager.

kc5-640x360.jpg

That’s awesome! So what has been you biggest challenge in promoting Kingdom Come so far?

Rick: There are always challenges with promoting a game, as there should be. You always want to try to keep it real so you don’t disappoint fans. You’ve got to know how to take criticism, but you also don’t want to disappoint fans. It’s all about finding a balance between being a fan of the game, and working for the game itself.

Yeah, you’ve got to find that perfect balance of personal and professional.

Rick: Yeah exactly! People will say “oh we want this!”, and I’ll be like “oh I want that too!”, but you can’t do everything or the game would never come out. It’s like you said, it’s about finding that perfect balance.

What’s the most satisfying or rewarding takeaway of working on this sort of game?

Rick: When someone says “I’ve been waiting for this for a very long time”. I can relate to this since I’ve waited a long time for a game like this too. It’s really that simple, it feels rewarding because I genuinely love the game, and I’m really happy that others love the game too. Obviously you want the game to sell well as well from a business standpoint, but you want to put a lot of work into showing the game off because seeing fan reactions is so great.

Sounds like it’s constantly really rewarding.

It is, definitely.

kc1-640x360.jpg

Traveling on media tours and speaking with developers, media, and fans, what’s the most memorable thing you recall that people said of Kingdom Come?

Rick: It’s hard to compare this game to others since it’s based on historical accuracy, but it was really cool to watch and to see feedback from journalists and fans. There was one video on a Playstation YouTube channel where they released a video showing off Kingdom Come and our presentation. Even though a lot of people didn’t know about it, they said it was the most passionate presentation they’d ever seen. It’s so cool to hear that, since you can always sell someone on a game, but you really have to believe in my opinion.

When you travel, it’s exhausting. You’re running around to different presentations, you’re thirsty, you need to use the bathroom, stuff like that, but I really got energy from how excited I was to present the game. It’s very exciting, and don’t get me wrong, at the end of the day it’s relieving to be done since you’re tired. But, man, you still want to know what people are thinking, so you’re still looking at YouTube comments and Reddit responses and stuff. It’s amazing.

Always on the clock, haha!

Rick: Always!

kc2-640x344.jpg

What was the inspiration behind making the equipment and settings period-accurate, rather than more fantastical?

Rick: Being that the game is based on history, we wanted to make it historically accurate on every front. We have a full time historian on the team, she, uh keeps us in “Czech”, get it? Haha! Feel free to cut that, haha.

I’m definitely keeping that in.

Rick: Oh geez haha! Anyway, we also have painters and sculptors, fencers, mocap workers, everything. It’s definitely not just a medieval simulator, but we want to cover everything historically. There’s so much attention to detail that even people who aren’t huge game fans have shown appreciation for the game, especially in the Czech Republic.

When I was at GDC, someone from the Czech Republic saw the game and said “oh those are our trees! That’s our grass!”. We used our own engine with the CryENGINE to make it really unique, and it’s even 16 km squared. You can find places where historical events happened, and the stories and side-quests tend to lean more towards history.

So what interested you about the medieval setting?

Rick: So some of my favorite movies are Braveheart, The Last Samurai, really anything history-related. When I can find a game that’s more realistic than fantasy, it can really draw me in. I love historical European martial arts, which is why that video drew me into the game. History itself is so fascinating to me, because I was never a history buff in school. This stuff got me interested, and I’m a very spiritual guy too, so I really love these kinds of things. So it was really the interesting history and setting that did it.

And Dan Vavra won’t compromise on the game. When you have a developer who really sticks to his vision, it really draws you to the game. He wants to make a game according to history, and that’s it, and I love it.

kc4-640x360.jpg

What message would you give gamers who are looking at picking the game up?

Rick: The beta is actually available right now on our website! We’ve gotten a lot of good feedback, and there are lots of people on the fence. I appreciate that, and I say keep an eye out for updates and look forward to the game. It’s not just a history game, it’s also a game you can have a lot of fun in. We appreciate all of you guys, so stick with us, and we’re always happy to communicate with people!

Thanks for your time Rick!
Rick: For sure, anytime!

Kingdom Come Deliverance releases on February 13th for the PS4, Xbox One, and PC. For more information, check out Warhorse’s Twitter and stay tuned to MonsterVine.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
What would happen if that chair collapsed?

He would fall all the way to the center of the earth. Perhaps even pass through it and reach China.
That is physically impossible
a) due to energy losses he would oscilate around earth core until reaching a free-fall-like equillibrium at the centre

It's common knowledge that you always reach China when you dig a hole deep enough in the ground.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
At this point I'm kinda dissapointed no one photoshopped a Grimoire screenshot on that TV...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom