Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Unwanted

Janise

Unwanted
That makes even less sense! If they can easily support mods right now, they would... wouldn't they?
Just to allow minimal modding of stats on existing weapons (assuming that no critical binding for weapon stats between the script and game code exist) they would need to:
- release the dagger.cnut et al in original source form for you to modify
- release a version/api compatible tool that compiles them
- write a guide on how to write minimal nut, compile it, and insert into filesystem

I am assuming that their dev build actually runs with uncompiled script because the Squirell VM compiles it on the fly.

But a lot of game logic seems to be tied up in there. AI and Events for example.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Overhype lived to their name.
What they did and still do is a form of Plausible deniability.
Their promises were form in that way to build hype and bait people and at absolve OH from any responsibility. I assume that they well know what they are doing instead of being fools. But then if I assume they are not fools it only mean a foul play from the start.
I guess that they never plan to release modding tools or modding access as the same form of encryption of scripts and other txt files were used even in demo and early builds.
After storm started they just walk away hoping for it go down on itself but it did not. Now they try to sweet their way out of this mess but hopefully it won't happen.

Anyway I think we are wrong comparing BB to M&B. Its more likely(based on similarity of gameplay) to compare BB to Starsector. I am not sure how well SS sell but they have thriving modding scene even if its unknown and niche game. In both you gather force and fight for fun and profit. Still SS is more deep and mods add plenty of stuff.
And even if you want compare BB to M&B - M&B was on start also niche game and it have no 2,5mln users at start. I would say the mods help to grow number of players and keep game alive and well known. It was not only free content that help sell game but also free adversity(both things BB lack). Not even mention that there were some guys with good art that offer to make content for mods but well BB in current state is practically not modifiable.
that is why this game have zero modders around because you CAN NOT MOD IT. When in SS or M&B all you need is notpead++ and gimp(SS).
Sure you can replace graphics and sounds but its all and even having possibility to modify items/backgrounds/enemy units and party composition would help increase game life span.
There must be something more that they are not telling us because that whole cause is retarded.
Can be also some German autism because I do not think that we would see a GoG version ever. So maybe its some sort of anti pirate high seas paranoia or maybe some legal German law hook. Dunno about that.

Also friendly reminder that they plan to release game like half year earlier than they actually do and reconsider it only because of negative feedback of player base. After this they write their list to do and 'fulfill' their promises and fix some stuff(like battle AI). Some of their 'fulfilled' promises also are rushed or just technically done. Like other mercenary companies.

Game still have some potential. Funny it has more in early beta with 'living' world system, semi-real enemy and kingdom economy and level scaling. But even so it would be proabably to use current existing game mechanics to deepen global map system.
Like for example making enemy faction a real ones(like noble ones) and their main settlements/basses permanent and capture-able/destroy-able(like actual settlements are). That is just one example.
Damn it.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Jesus Christ, with this kind of reception I would rather invest my imaginary money on SJW tard games than actually making a good game :lol:

For all intent and purpose the game is feature complete. It is shittier Mount and Blade simulation with great TB combat. Maybe too much grind, but for all intent and purpose, a complete game.

Can they improve the game? Yeah. Better world simulation would be great. Modding support? Fuck you if think modding support is easy. How easy modding tools implementation in one game is dependent on how the fucking game is coded. How the code is structured . Or maybe release a shitty tool without support which will be useless 90% of the time. Want an example? HBS Shadowrun and Larian Divinity OS has both dedicated modding tools with documentation and what? Nobody used them because it was a fucking chore to do anything with the tools. Heck Shadowrun game are basically written by their "modding tools." And the tools is still shit.

And they had answered that they are not planning on adding modding support much earlier in the game development and now you people are crying over it? "Hur durr just release the source code." Fuck you too mate. Then what? Some fuckwits are using their code without permission and are now selling a clone of your game for one dollars in redidt?

They have a vision of game, completed it. If sale is good enough they were planning to expand with free updates, maybe DLCs. Unfortunately the sales is not good enough. And what? They need suck some dicks to get enough money to stroke the ego of the "fans"?

Kuattro

Augur
This looks like a nice game, anyone knows if it work under Win XP?

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
  • MINIMUM:
    • OS: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10
    • Processor: 1.2 Ghz
    • Memory: 1024 MB RAM
    • Graphics: OpenGL 3.3 compatible video card with 512 MB
    • Storage: 1500 MB available space
    • Additional Notes: Make sure your video drivers are up-to-date!

That's in Steam. In GOG the minimum requirements list windows 7 as the earliest version that works.

So... try at your own risk. You probably enjoy living dangerously if your computer is connected to the internet with Windows XP, anyway.

i just want to know why Chilean models in particular? care to elaborate @Kuattro

Nothing particularly exciting. In the last months I've met five Chilean women, all fairly spectacular. Figured I couldn't go wrong aiming at Chile.

I hope you're not Bolivian and we're about to hear how the really good looking Chilean women are all from up there and should be returned. Not that I oppose a bit of good old irredentism, mind you, but I don't think the Codex has enough people to re-enact the war.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Like I said above, I suspect they're afraid of players modding the game to be better than their sequel.

This is hilarious. If only'd those devs would release devtools for us we'd make a first mod in history that is comparable in quality what the developers themselves would do.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Like I said above, I suspect they're afraid of players modding the game to be better than their sequel.

This is hilarious. If only'd those devs would release devtools for us we'd make a first mod in history that is comparable in quality what the developers themselves would do.
You've clearly never played NWN's OC

Never played any NWN module that was even close to Mask of the Betrayer. Or even Shadows of Undrentide. Even good ones required excessive supervision and editing to not be a cringey mess and be released in that Kingmaker pack. And, IIRC, they were all short and unfinished.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Modders can't write for shit but Battle Brothers mods would be cool though. It is the perfect game for interesting modding, almost pure gameplay, doesn't need much writing, so, the chance of you having to read absolute cringey garbage is very low but people aren't entitled to demand this from them, they didn't promise it, besides, plenty of games without modding support had big modding scenes and plenty of others with modding support had none, so this isn't a guarantee alone that actually worthwhile mods would be produced, especially for a game with a small player base.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Modders can't write for shit but Battle Brothers mods would be cool though. It is the perfect game for interesting modding, almost pure gameplay, doesn't need much writing, so, the chance of you having to read absolute cringey garbage is very low but people aren't entitled to demand this from them, they didn't promise it, besides, plenty of games without modding support had big modding scenes and plenty of others with modding support had none, so this isn't a guarantee alone that actually worthwhile mods would be produced, especially for a game with a small player base.

Problem with BB is that there will be no modding scene(and will not be) as devs actively prevented it when they encrypted files. As you say above its perfect engine for all sort of conversions or expansions or at last balance(or unbalance) mods. But nothing of it is possible as scripts and txt files are LOCKED behind a encryption.
There were few guys with drawing skills that show interest in modding(adding new stuff) but they can not do a shit.
Look at Starsector.
>niche game
>zero advertising
>no Steam
but
>dev is friendly and helpful
>know what he plan to do
>files are open to modify
SS modding scene is great. Plenty of mods with plenty of content. Heck even me with zero skills and little talent create some mods(for personal use mostly) and balance tweaks with Notepad++ and gimp.
BB could be the same if you have non German devs. Sure you could modify(or replace) graphics or sounds but other stuff its outside reach.

Unwanted

Janise

Unwanted
Dude is autistic. With the time he spent baaawing, he could have written a Squirrel decompiler in Python. GLORIOUS MODDING!!!1

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I'm going to raid some bigger Goblin sites soon. My Formation is:
  • 2H Hammer/Mace+Shield/2H Sword/Mace+Shield/2H Sword/Mace+Shield/2H Sword
  • Archer/Archer/Sarge(Crossbow)/Archer/Archer
Should I equip the two handed guys with the one handed versions of their weapons (I kept 4 unique 1H swords for that) + Kiteshields and sub some of the Archers for melee guys?
I'm scared the shamans will just pin me with their plant attack spell if I try to crush them, but a ranged duel with Gobbos doesn't sound great either.

jungl

Augur
There should of been contracts where you fight multiple factions. Most funny fight I had was battle where I got bandits, goblins and undead+necromancer in a giant brawl.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
I'm going to raid some bigger Goblin sites soon. My Formation is:
  • 2H Hammer/Mace+Shield/2H Sword/Mace+Shield/2H Sword/Mace+Shield/2H Sword
  • Archer/Archer/Sarge(Crossbow)/Archer/Archer
Should I equip the two handed guys with the one handed versions of their weapons (I kept 4 unique 1H swords for that) + Kiteshields and sub some of the Archers for melee guys?
I'm scared the shamans will just pin me with their plant attack spell if I try to crush them, but a ranged duel with Gobbos doesn't sound great either.

Still shooting duel is best option.

PanteraNera

Arcane
I think that all the people that are butthurt, are the ones that followed Battle Brothers from the beginning, I am one of them.

If you read all of their dev blog post's and what Paul wrote in his Artcorner it is just clear that they had a bigger plan for this game and people like me took them serious. Battle Brother is not bad for what it is, but compared to what seemed what they planed its just mediocre. I still think they could have made an awesome game, but they had not the will/money/compassion to make it happen.

When Paul said that the legendaries that made it into the game are an plus I just lost it. I mean wtf?! They wanted to make a great game, they had plans for legendary weapons with unique skills and they just have not delivered.

All the end-game-crisis are lacking, and everyone in early access has said so, its the last "feature" they implement and it is not as polished as the rest. They just wanted to be done with it, its at least the impression I got.

As Sarissofoi wrote, they had more of an living world in earlier versions, instead of working on it, they dumped it down, to what it is now.

Really Battle Brothers is to me just another sad story, there seems to be no chance that we get in this dark times a worthy game, worthy as old classics are from 20 years ago. We better do not talk about replayability.

For me one thing is sure, I will not support Overhype with buying an early-access title again, because to me they showed that they do not care/are not passionate about their own fucking games. Its unfortunate, as with less money, they will have it harder, but well guess what its choices and consequences.

That they have not replied a single time on the codex since they released, well says in itself enough to me.

I am really biased with them, because I still like them, still think they are on the right track, but damn, they fucked them self so hard, I wonder what the future brings to them. Good luck with a Jagged Alliance-like game, if their next game is as half assed as Battle Brothers they should never step into the Bear's Pit ;).

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I am really biased with them, because I still like them, still think they are on the right track, but damn, they fucked themself so hard, I wonder what the future brings to them. Good luck with a Jagged Alliance-like game, if their next game is as halfassed as Battle Brothers they should never step into the Bear's Pit ;).

After being burned by Flashback, I don't think Bear's Pit will support another "spiritual successor" again.
:despair:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am really biased with them, because I still like them, still think they are on the right track, but damn, they fucked themself so hard, I wonder what the future brings to them. Good luck with a Jagged Alliance-like game, if their next game is as halfassed as Battle Brothers they should never step into the Bear's Pit ;).

After being burned by Flashback, I don't think Bear's Pit will support another "spiritual successor" again.
:despair:
I guess you're getting a...

...flashback.
:yeah:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I will post this and I'm ready for the backlash, I deserve it:
24bsnjl.jpg

:deadtroll:

*I really, really , REALLY love JA2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom