Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[POLL] Do you consider yourself an extrovert or an introvert?

Do you consider yourself an extrovert or an introvert?

• Total voters

ralphonzo

Novice
I often hear said of MMOs in general and MMORPGs in particular something I consider a myth:

"A lot of MMORPG players are introverts who can better socialize in a game."

How many of those people are really introverts though? I bet most of you consider yourself extroverts, and the vast majority of the rest are extroverts who happen to be socially awkward such that, in person, they have a hard time expressing themselves. It's easier online--I understand that. True introverts, on the other hand, know what they're missing in real life and do not want it in a game either.

When I played MMOs long ago, I solo'd exclusively unless I was playing UO ('97/98) with a small group of friends in order to kill people and break into their houses to steal everything and make them quit. I'd rather play myself in tic-tac-toe to a thousand stalemates than play modern MMORPGs, or any online game for that matter. That's not to say you're wrong to enjoy them--only that actual introverts largely do not, especially with the emphasis on group-play and trade that became the norm from EverQuest onward.

Maybe you're more comfortable being with other people in a game than you are in person. That's perfectly fine, but if you were actually an introvert, you more than likely wouldn't feel the need to socialize and make friends in any game. Please stop claiming the other team and embrace the fact that you have social needs you meet in online games. Most people consider that socially acceptable at this point.

Norfleet

How many of those people are really introverts though? I bet most of you consider yourself extroverts, and the vast majority of the rest are extroverts who happen to be socially awkward such that, in person, they have a hard time expressing themselves. It's easier online--I understand that. True introverts, on the other hand, know what they're missing in real life and do not want it in a game either.
You're at 0:9 right now. I don't think this theory of yours is working out too well. I know exactly what I'm missing in real life that I don't want in the game: Physical contact with other people. I prefer the abstractness of interacting with beings without the unpleasantness of physical contact. People often say things like "remember that there's a person on the other end"...yeah, that's pretty much the surest way to remind me I don't like them.

When I played MMOs long ago, I solo'd exclusively unless I was playing UO ('97/98) with a small group of friends in order to kill people and break into their houses to steal everything and make them quit. I'd rather play myself in tic-tac-toe to a thousand stalemates than play modern MMORPGs, or any online game for that matter. That's not to say you're wrong to enjoy them--only that actual introverts largely do not, especially with the emphasis on group-play and trade that became the norm from EverQuest onward.
Typical introvert pattern: they prefer their inner circle, and do not have an active desire to meet STRANGERS. There's a reason why the modern MMO is the way it is: It represents an era in which the Extravert majority began invading the formerly introvert-centric Internet. If you look back at Ye Olde MUDs, which were designed in a more introverted era, you'll find that there are practically no "social networking" functions. No public player lists for finding groups, nothing which even forces grouping. It was entirely possible to attempt solo attack on any content, although the attempt wasn't going likely to end well and you'd be better served attacking it with a small circle of your close friends. Fast-forward to the modern MMO, where you MUST have a group to attempt things, even if you COULD actually solo it: The grouping is now being forced.

And yes, we're not enthused by this.

Maybe you're more comfortable being with other people in a game than you are in person. That's perfectly fine, but if you were actually an introvert, you more than likely wouldn't feel the need to socialize and make friends in any game. Please stop claiming the other team and embrace the fact that you have social needs you meet in online games. Most people consider that socially acceptable at this point.
That's not actually true. Most introverts do, in fact, have social needs. It's just that any further contact after meeting them becomes tiresome and draining, whereas extraverts never seem to get tired of other people and their constant and inane nattering. It's only a small subset of introverts that genuinely have no social needs, and would not, in fact, eventually go insane if left on a space station on the other side of the galaxy with NOBODY, EVER. A much larger subset of introverts wouldn't be bothered at all if their only social contact came from the station AI, whereas pretty much all extraverts go insane within a few years regardless.

ralphonzo

Novice
You're at 0:9 right now. I don't think this theory of yours is working out too well.

I'm sure my pretentious 2AM rant had no impact whatsoever in compelling the contrarians to vote a certain way. My poll methodology was as scientific as possible.

I'll just follow up with this: Do you think extroverts often falsely identify as introverts? I'm quite certain that is more common than the other way around, at least. I've never heard "I'm an extrovert" used as an excuse.

Norfleet

I don't really think this happens, because extraverts are the neurotypical. It's introverts that represent the minority of the population, and are therefore deviant and stigmatized. If anything, it's more likely that some introverts are trying to convince themselves that they're normal, and making themselves miserable for it, because they're just not cut out for all those tedious socializing and ultimately want to return to their lairs and avoid people for awhile.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Gotta love anyone on the internet who starts off with, "I bet the majority is [like me!] You agree of course, don't you?" :roll:

i'm shy but mostly because i'm diffident. once i get a bit of confidence i speak a lot and i actually like discussions, i love learning new things. even if suffering from depression i definitely am not an introvert.
i enjoyed muds and mmorpgs, until they became famous and every retard and their dogs began to play them.

ralphonzo

Novice
Gotta love anyone on the internet who starts off with, "I bet the majority is [like me!] You agree of course, don't you?" :roll:

What? That's what you got out of my post, that I think I'm an extrovert? I expected some pretty dumb shit to come of this thread eventually, but you've set the bar very high with that one. It can only go downhill from here.

If it was not clear enough from, I don't know, the content of my words, then you could have clicked on "n vote(s)" next to "I am an introvert" and figured it out that way. But you've only been registered since 2004, so I cannot expect you to know how a public poll here works.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You're right. It was either that or "I bet the majority is the opposite of me, because I'm special", but I went with my first instinct. :shrug:

Norfleet

i'm shy but mostly because i'm diffident. once i get a bit of confidence i speak a lot and i actually like discussions, i love learning new things. even if suffering from depression i definitely am not an introvert.
It's a mistake to believe that introverts are necessarily shy or avoidant of others. But here's the question: Imagine that you're actually THERE, in a room with others, people you don't actually know. They mill about, crowding you, bumping into you, talking to you, shaking your hand. This goes on for like 8 hours. Finally, it ends. How do you feel about it afterwards? Pumped, or exhausted? You wanna do this again after dinner, or is that enough for today?

if i've had interesting, meaningful conversation with these people, i feel great and long for more.
otherwise it's just another day i wait for human extintion.

also: i work as an extra for tv. the least i can have around is 60-70 people, usually 160 now.
and pussy. oh god i drown in top quality pussy. a shame i'm the ugly tree itself.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I'm such an introvert that I hate MMOs for their needless social interaction.

Be a social game or be a single player game with quests, but not both because seeing some asshat running and jumping around doing the same quest you are completely ruins the ambiance.

Norfleet

if i've had interesting, meaningful conversation with these people, i feel great and long for more.
otherwise it's just another day i wait for human extintion.
Extroverts love their inane, empty conversations, though. Just the act of interacting with other humans pleases them. They don't actually need the intellectual stimulation of having meaningful interaction, meaningless interaction is satisfying to them.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I don't know what I am. At work I have to be "on" and it drains me, the same when I was younger and went out a lot. People at work or the people I would go out with would say I am an extrovert because I'm very involved, personable, and male a lot of jokes. But at home I need alone time to recharge and unwind. I don't want to talk to people or group when I play mmos. I want to not communicate at all and be left alone as much as possible. I join guilds only when there is a mechanical benefit to do so like in DDO. I also avoid going out to social arrangements as often as possible including with friends. I feel a lot more comfortable hanging out at someone's house than anywhere public.

Now that I work from home more than at work I notice I post here more and when I do play a burst of an mmo I communicate in game more and am more open to grouping somewhat. But there is still that pressure when I am in the group that my wife will need me for something or the kids want to play or need help with homework. There is rarely a situation where my kids are sleeping and my wife is sleep (or gone and I know when she is coming back) and I know it I want have to drop out.

It should also be noted I hate crowds and kind of "shut off" in large crowds and act weird. Everyone says it is PTSD but that is made up shit for the most part just to get non-leftists sucking on the teet of the government for handouts and be a blue block. Only idiots like crowds or loud packed clubs. Normal people like normal level noises and space to move around. Loud noises and crowds and crowded places should be outlawed. Being normal and sane isn't having PTSD. And I'm not saying PTSD is 100% fake. Just mostly fake for the reason stated above. That is why they give it to anyone deployed since 911 even if they did absolutely nothing and saw absolutely nothing that could give anyone PTSD besides people that like to suck on the teet of the government and get checks for large amounts of money taken from people who earned it through hard work to support those who did nothing to deserve it and shouldn't get it.

Norfleet

I don't know what I am. At work I have to be "on" and it drains me, the same when I was younger and went out a lot. People at work or the people I would go out with would say I am an extrovert because I'm very involved, personable, and male a lot of jokes. But at home I need alone time to recharge and unwind. I don't want to talk to people or group when I play mmos. I want to not communicate at all and be left alone as much as possible. I join guilds only when there is a mechanical benefit to do so like in DDO. I also avoid going out to social arrangements as often as possible including with friends. I feel a lot more comfortable hanging out at someone's house than anywhere public.
This is basically textbook introversion, trying to deal with an extrovert world.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
People in MMOs are idiots with an IQ somewhere around 90. Anyone who was forced to use PUGs should know that. What's the point of engaging with such demi-humans?

Norfleet

Murdering them, of course. That's why you form a premade team consisting only of your fellow ubermensch and set out to wipe the arenas of the untermenschen. Anyone who doesn't like PvP simply has never done this before. Or knows deep down that they are the inferior ones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom