Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Sentinel

Arcane
Well, if he does make a return (hope he doesn't), MCA won't be writing him - that's 100% certain.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Now that I think about it, Durance should've been a full-fledged companion. Much better than Aloth and even Pallegina, their involvements are tangential at best. In the favor of drama, however, Durance is already done, he resolved his issues with the gods and done deal, I think he would turn out one-dimensional and too singularly focused (killing Eothas), even if Obsidian's writers put some talent and thought into his character I just don't see where he can go next and how he can develop as a character. I'm pretty sure Durance's exclusion is because of MCA's departure, but maybe it served a non-intentional purpose.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Seems like Maneha would make a good sacrifice as well. Maybe even Devil of Caroc.

pomenitul

Arbiter
I don't see why Durance should be so intent on annihilating Eothas anew in the second instalment. If anything, the denouement of his quest makes it clear that Magran is his new bête noire along with Woedica. He is no less a victim of the gods' machinations than the Shattered God himself.

Sentinel

Arcane
Now that I think about it, Durance should've been a full-fledged companion. Much better than Aloth and even Pallegina, their involvements are tangential at best. In the favor of drama, however, Durance is already done, he resolved his issues with the gods and done deal, I think he would turn out one-dimensional and too singularly focused (killing Eothas), even if Obsidian's writers put some talent and thought into his character I just don't see where he can go next and how he can develop as a character. I'm pretty sure Durance's exclusion is because of MCA's departure, but maybe it served a non-intentional purpose.
I agree that Durance would be more suited than Paladin Vagina or Aloth, but doesn't Durance's quest end with either
1) Suicide;
2) Him promising revenge on the Gods?
I think his story line is only resolved in the case of 1). I might be misremembering though.

Sentinel

Arcane
I don't see why Durance should be so intent on annihilating Eothas anew in the second instalment. If anything, the denouement of his quest makes it clear that Magran is his new bête noire along with Woedica. He is no less a victim of the gods' machinations than the Shattered God himself.
Well according to Sawyer you can ally with Eothas (seems like Eothas will be the Mr. House of this game). In that case, I can see Durance allying himself with Eothas to go nuclear on Magran's ethereal ass.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Huh, I guess I'm misremembering what happened to him if you complete his storyline. I know he kills himself if you don't. Then, yeah, Durance is the most obvious choice instead of Aloth and Pallegina.

Parabalus

Arcane
They said some of the talents will make an appearance, but they might be different.
They really should. It's like a little bonus for all the people that are importing their characters over from PoE1. None of these are too OP, but they are nice, the player earned them and should continue making use of them in the sequel.

Yeah, they basically confirmed Effigy's resentment (Blood Pool) and Gift from the Machine (Heritage Hill) . I think Mental Prowess (Llengrath) and the faction ones are very likely to influence stuff. God's blessings might be kept if you did their thing in SiS. The other 5-6 minor ones are going to be interesting for sure, would be nice if they acknowledge each, if not with an effect than a one-liner somewhere.

I agree that Durance would be more suited than Paladin Vagina or Aloth, but doesn't Durance's quest end with either
1) Suicide;
2) Him promising revenge on the Gods?
I think his story line is only resolved in the case of 1). I might be misremembering though.

I don't think he would have to be one dimensional against Eothas, he has a personal reason to hate all gods and their meddling, he has anything but resolved his issues with the gods, if anything, they are just starting.

I can imagine him mounting Durance's Crusade (a la Akachi), his ending says he's plotting for revenge. With PoE2 involving dimensional travel I wouldn't be surprised to find him getting ready to exact some juicy divine retribution, maybe something involving draining Magran of her power through his continued connection.

Seems like Maneha would make a good sacrifice as well. Maybe even Devil of Caroc.

Maneha has some connection to Deadfire and is a pirate by trade, that's what makes me think she's very likely to make it.

Devil of Caroc I'd probably agree, but one of the endings has her walking along the sea floor. Meeting her underwater seems too cool to miss.

Grieving Mother is the one I least expect to make an appearance.

I think that's probably it, but you might meet her in Dyrford in the initial sequence, can't think of a reason for her to be in the Archipelago tho.

Zahua seems suspect too, but he's a shroomhead so who knows?

Did they say something about Kana himself? His sister is likely to react, but IIRC he's scholaring it up in Rautai or traveling.

Hiravias wanders in both endings so you'll likely "chance" upon him.

I'll probably sac Eder since I can't stand him tho, and I'll get to see some beautiful C&C right off the bat.

Lacrymas

Arcane

Not compared to Sagani at all, Devil gives you literally 1 damage at most on each attack due to the DR bypass (it can give you 0 if you already have enough DR bypass to penetrate everything), the Dex bonus is incidental, while Maneha is 3% more damage which is negligible. Accuracy is everything in this game and you want to stack it as high as it can go, so Perception and +2 accuracy is not a thing you pass up. Durance's 5% endurance can be good if you stack constitution, but CON is a useless dump stat even for tanks, who should leave it at 10.

Sannom

Augur
Devil of Caroc I'd probably agree, but one of the endings has her walking along the sea floor. Meeting her underwater seems too cool to miss.
Her endings involve either being taken apart by a militia or her body breaking down just when she reaches the ocean. She "dies" in both.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot

True, Durance's story is finished. I can see him as a sidequest character as a broken bitter death-seeker (would more or less work with both of his endings; bad one doesn't specify when he died) who doesn't say much anymore. Not a companion, not an important person. Maybe something like some Eothas minion looks for Durance to avenge Godhammer and you can either send them away or give them Durance.

Quillon

Arcane
Durance is the most obvious choice instead of Aloth and Pallegina.

Nah. Both 3 companions have as much reason to be there as Durance, he should have been among the 4 returning companions. Maybe Pallegina don't have enough personal reasons except that she hates the gods but why make a new comp who have insight for a big faction in the game(VTC) when you have Pallegina?

Sizzle

Arcane
If Durance came back, and I don't think he will, he would either be opposed to Eothas if you didn't solve his quest and revealed the truth about his Goddess to him, or he would try and make the most of the situation (including aligning with Eothas) to further his vendetta against Magran.

But, I doubt he will be in PoE2 (maybe as a rumor - a man preaching open revolt against the gods, similar to Akachi, as Parabalus said), his story (as I think almost everyone solved his personal quest - you have no reason not to) would be too personal, and pull too much focus away from the main storyline and the Watcher.

Parabalus

Arcane
Not compared to Sagani at all, Devil gives you literally 1 damage at most on each attack due to the DR bypass (it can give you 0 if you already have enough DR bypass to penetrate everything), the Dex bonus is incidental, while Maneha is 3% more damage which is negligible. Accuracy is everything in this game and you want to stack it as high as it can go, so Perception and +2 accuracy is not a thing you pass up. Durance's 5% endurance can be good if you stack constitution, but CON is a useless dump stat even for tanks who should leave it at 10.

No, all those 3 you mentioned are very close, with the devil likely taking the crown. On PoTD you will never fully penetrate all DR (unless you stack buffs/debuffs) on a target. Maneha's MIG and DoC's DEX are very similar DPS wise and outperform Sagani's PER.

The +2 ACC is iffy since coordinating enchant (likely same code as this) tends to often bug out. I think DoC's bonus applies to spells, which would make it the clear winner if true. On single target +3%AS -1 DR vs 3 ACC difference is minimal.

I was more concerned with the flavour of it, all the +damage sacrifices are close enough for me.

Her endings involve either being taken apart by a militia or her body breaking down just when she reaches the ocean. She "dies" in both.

IIRC it's only mentioned that her body rusts, nothing of her soul departing from the vessel. She could very well be trapped in an immobile body which slowly drifts along the ocean floor (which conveniently works with both endings).

Sannom

Augur
But, I doubt he will be in PoE2 (maybe as a rumor - a man preaching open revolt against the gods, similar to Akachi, as Parabalus said), his story (as I think almost everyone solved his personal quest - you have no reason not to) would be too personal, and pull too much focus away from the main storyline and the Watcher.
How about I never took him in my party?

Lacrymas

Arcane
If we are comparing just damage, then yes, DoC wins because 3% attack speed and 1 DR bypass, but accuracy is a more Big Picture stat as it allows you to hit a target with not just damage, but also CC and debuffs, potentially increasing your damage and tactical options by a lot more.

Parabalus

Arcane

It's the same shit if you didn't tell him anything about Woedica, he kills himself.

This talk makes me dread that Obs might go the Mass Effect route, something like Wrex. If you did his shit you meet him as leader#xy, if not he's replaced by a similar guy who hates you a bit more.

I'm sure they'll have more subtlety though.

If we are comparing just damage, then yes, DoC wins because 3% attack speed and 1 DR bypass, but accuracy is a more Big Picture stat as it allows you to hit a target, even with debuffs and CCs, potentially increasing your damage by a lot more.

That line of reasoning is bad IMO, since attack speed also affects debuffs and CC, and the +2 Acc doesn't apply to spells.

If you graph the expected benefits, let's say attacking a single target with a on crit weapon (ideal Sagani scenario) in dependence of fight length you'd have sharp spikes in favour of DEX when the fight is long enough for you to get an extra attack/spell off, with PER rising steadily in between.. You could smooth them out and compare, but like I said, I doubt there would be an appreciable difference in either direction.

Quillon

Arcane
She could very well be trapped in an immobile body which slowly drifts along the ocean floor (which conveniently works with both endings).

Too bad fishing stretch goal haven't been achieved :P

If you never took a comp, they won't be in Deadfire, as if they are dead.

Btw. my wish for Durance cameo was
I'd like there to be a quest to find a Priest of Eothas or a settlement guided by a Priest of Eothas in which whoever you talk to would tell you to speak to the "Priest" instead. When we find the Priest we will be SHOCKED to learn that he's in fact Durance, who sought out Eothas before us and got forgiven somehow and now he no more has pox scars and has white hair & long white beard and is now called [to]Lerance :P

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In the beta, I liked the VO of lord Harond, I thought it was comparable in style to the VO in BG. In most cases in the full game though, it seemed inferior.

Fry

Arcane
The VO isn't universally awful. The villain and some smaller parts (Thaos, Aldhelm) are quite good.

The problem is, the companion VO never rises above the level of merely acceptable. Some (ahem... GM) are actually unlistenable.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Thaos speaks in a very condescending way and all the gibberish that is bursting from his mouth is even more annoying.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Thaos speaks in a very condescending way and all the gibberish that is bursting from his mouth is even more annoying.

And it's good. He tries to sell himself as an ancient keeper of stability so it makes sense he's talking like irritated sober father.

I quite liked Durance but it was too obvious he's the caravan owner from the prologue. Grieving Mother was fine too but I dreaded talking to her because she throws walls of text on you. Also Duc sounded great. Kana - that's who I liked the most.

Fry

Arcane

I can't agree, but regardless the writing is separate from the quality of the voice acting.

Starwars

Arcane
Thaos was easily my favorite VO performance in the game. I think he absolutely nailed it and one of few instances in the game where the VO actually added something to the character.

I also liked Zahua quite a lot. Edér was also quite good (and I have to admire that guy's range when he does voices). Kana was good... Durance was good but felt a bit try-hard with the gravel. Grieving Mother felt fine but there's something gone wrong with that recording because the quality sucks. Those s-sounds, ugh...

I think the game is pretty mediocre as far as voices go overall but they're not annoying enough for me to turn them off. In Tyranny I had to turn them off.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I always sac Haerdalis since he gives Dex. You can have enough Per but more Dex is always better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom