Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Things in RPGs that make you happy

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Stupid riddle games, like BaK or Darklands

I don't mind getting out a pen and paper and solving one of those. It adds some variety to a dungeon. Just please, for the love of God, no Towers of Hanoi.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
So what you're saying is, you don't believe that RPGs should strive to excel at both combat AND story?

I'm saying they don't need a big engrossing story. Jagged Alliance 2 doesn't have a big engrossing story because it doesn't need it. The player carves out their own as they play. Also, vorpal all storyfags, they are the worst.

For the record, I love alot of other rpgs than aren't in my preferred theme, the thread asked me what made me HAPPY, so. Doesn't mean I don't play fantasy shit, I do.

So a post-apoc RPG that met your lame criteria would make you happy, but a steampunk one that did wouldn't. Like I said, an idiot.

You seem upset. I was stating the optimal and best-case scenario criteria for my favourite RPGs, you fucking moron. Combatfag triggrd

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Spells/abilities that can be used outside combat and act as a solution quest as an interactive way/not just a skill check in dialogue.

For example pillars twm vs divinity os:

1. A house is burning, you click on it, initiate dialogue book thing, and can use cone of cold/etc to extinguish the flame
Vs
2. A ship is burning, you either throw water barrel into it or cast rain.

Imo abilities should be able to interact with the world and use it it their full potential not just combat or skill check in dialogue.

Skill check in dialogue still should exist, the more interactive checks have to be too.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
When the game throws a few armies at your or 4x99 Berserkers, instead of slowly whittling down your HPs and will to play the game by throwing dozens of identical small encounters at you.

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
Then the game throws a few armies at your or 4x99 Berserkers, instead of slowly whittling down your HPs and will to play the game by throwing dozens of identical small encounters at you.
You're gonna love The Broken Land then.
Snap14_1.jpg

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
Besides what everyone else has mentioned, most/all NPCs having a personal name and not just being called 'Bandit' ,'Guard', 'Merchant', etc.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
You seem upset. I was stating the optimal and best-case scenario criteria for my favourite RPGs, you fucking moron. Combatfag triggrd

No, you were being a faggot. Now, go and play Jagged Alliance 2 for the first time in your life. That's the remedy for your faggotry.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Remembering something from Baldur's Gate 2.

In the town of Brynnlaw, off in the corner of the map, are two pirates. If you wait they will have the following conversation:

Pirate 1: "Arr!"
Pirate 2: "Arr!"

At some point they start fighting. When one of them dies the winner declares, "Fairly warned be ye, sez I!" (You have to read it in a pirate voice)

hello friend

Arcane
I love when NPCs are rude to you and don't have time for your shit. "No, I'm not going to walk you through the history of the region, local points of interest, currently hiring businesses, and strange goings on in the region. Also, what are you doing in my house? I'm calling the cops."

Very heavy size/weight restrictions on inventory. You can carry your arms and armour on your person, but you can't keep a half dozen polearms, ten or so swords and as many shields on your back. You want to loot that fine, fine, relic sword? Throw away the one you're using.

NPCs scamming you.

Weather.

Having to find trainers to train your skills.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
You can carry your arms and armour on your person, but you can't keep a half dozen polearms, ten or so swords and as many shields on your back. You want to loot that fine, fine, relic sword? Throw away the one you're using.
I like this too, but I feel that a slightly different implementation is better. You can carry maybe two one handed swords, a dagger or two, a bow and a two-handed sword along with your current set of armor. Of course, ideally, how much exact would still be based on strength but would be humanly realistic. I feel an adventurer would carry a couple of backups (plus this would be necessary to make looting a possibility). This is also a necessity if you plan to include durability (so they aren't left in a dungeon without any weapon at all)

hello friend

Arcane
You can carry your arms and armour on your person, but you can't keep a half dozen polearms, ten or so swords and as many shields on your back. You want to loot that fine, fine, relic sword? Throw away the one you're using.
I like this too, but I feel that a slightly different implementation is better. You can carry maybe two one handed swords, a dagger or two, a bow and a two-handed sword along with your current set of armor. Of course, ideally, how much exact would still be based on strength but would be humanly realistic. I feel an adventurer would carry a couple of backups (plus this would be necessary to make looting a possibility). This is also a necessity if you plan to include durability (so they aren't left in a dungeon without any weapon at all)
That's what I meant. You carry a little bit, but pretty soon you need to make a choice. It would prolly be a waste of dev time, but it would be great if every fight started with you tossing your backpack to the ground, to be recovered after the fight.

V_K

Arcane
That's what I meant. You carry a little bit, but pretty soon you need to make a choice. It would prolly be a waste of dev time, but it would be great if every fight started with you tossing your backpack to the ground, to be recovered after the fight.
I liked the Realms of Arkania implementation: the more and weightier stuff you hauled, the fewer action points you got in combat, up to the point where your couldn't do anything other than moving a couple of steps anymore.

B0rt

Novice

Do you ever have to write a paper check? If so, there is usually a "memo" section on the check. You write can write "gay sex" there. You can write it every time and nobody does a thing about it, they try not to acknowledge it. Highly recommend. Makes paying the utility bill feel a little more naughty.

B0rt

Novice
To contribute: I really like it when there's a strong enough "town" setting in CRPGs that you can have fun just hanging out and goofing around there.

Everyone knows about the peak experiences one finds in dungeons -- finally hitting the right combination of level & tactics to beat some baddie really feels great. Sometimes I feel that the following haul home doesn't get enough love. When the experience of lugging loot back to the market, improving character skills, looking out over the river while you tweak character's inventories = fun in itself, that's crucial. It means the game has been tuned well enough that a trip to the gas station provides simple joys. Lots of games are good at making a boss fight exciting, but the *best* games find a way to make make using the restroom interesting. I think this partially explains why stuff like "Stardew Valley" sells so well, and CRPG authors should maybe take notice.

Some of my most memorable tabletop RPG experiences come from the spaces in between adventures, dicking around in bars with other PCs and getting into shennanigans. Any CRPG that can capture this feeling really "gets it", as far as I'm concerned. Some action games like GTA apparently exploit this principle and I wish more CRPG devs would spend some time exploring the phenomenon.

Darkman

Educated
Wide variety of classes and builds.

Progression of power. Going from full bronze and a rusty sword to sporting full Daedric armor and a godslayer greatsword

Stat boosts and status effects being useful and just as integral to combat as raw damage and healing

Most powerful items not being purchasable in shops or just given to you during the story.

The ability to actually play a role.

wyes gull

Savant
"2 solutions to every problem" type design. ie: [Quest: Get in the room!] Charm the owner. Can't charm the owner? Buy the key. Can't buy it? Steal it. Can't steal it? Lockpick. Can't lockpick? Bomb the door. Can't bomb? Hide until it's opened for you. Can't hide?
Why the fuck did you focus on swimming, retard?

Killing gay characters.....and trannies too,some times even black people also purging liberals with fire.
Wow. A whole line about killing "undesirables" and no mention of children. Philistine.

mogwaimon

Magister
I find I have a good time in RPGs when I can talk my way out of a combat situation, preferably in a hilarious manner. I like trying to do pacifist runs sometimes.

It's odd and more for action-RPGs than regular ones, but I also like my boss fights to be one on one against a humanoid opponent. The boss should also have a trick to it instead of just being a regular mob with more HP and higher stats so it's not just tank and spank or whatever you want to call it. This part applies to traditional RPGs as well.

Actual choice and consequences. Not that bullshit from Telltale games where your choices all ultimately lead to the same conclusion, or needlessly complicated dialogue trees that all lead to the same result.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
- Full party generation
- Good combat
- Good chargen and chardev
- Combat is engaging and requires thought and strategy and makes dumb people angry
- I don't think rpg video game devs have the same ability to make good rpg systems like P&P devs so they should really just stick to P&P systems and implement them verbatim. NWN, SCL and Drakensangs are examples of why devs should not be allowed to make revisions to P&P systems to fit the "medium." They just turn it into meaningless shit for dummies. If the game is made without challenge there really is no reason to have chargen, chardev, feats, traits, backgrounds, etc. Its just wasted code and effort lost on the peons who think the combat is good.

hello friend

Arcane
Abilities that are functionally different from each other. Oftentimes, abilities are just about boosting numbers. An active ability that gives 50% increased attack speed over the next 5 seconds, or a passive that gives a 15% increase in whatever is boring and unimaginative.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom