Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander, a Square Enix-approved rogue-like sci-fi strategy survival game

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Was a bit disappointed with this one. The replayability is rather poor, the customisation options as well as synergies to explore are few and far in between. Combat becomes old fast, and since there isn't a way to speed the animations up or autoresolve, at some point you'll start trying to push towards the end asap - only to find out that you need higher tier ships, and those cost increasing amounts of resources, therefore there's a lot of grind between here and there.

Overall, it's great in concept but fails to deliver. Interestingly enough, prerelease material seemed way more ambitious than what we've got. I'm hoping they scaled down a fair bit to push it out of the door but plan to reintroduce a bunch of features as time goes by. If they add some meat to the game, I'll happily revisit.

My advice: don't buy it now but follow the dev team and see if they build on the release version in further patches. Might be worth the purchase in a couple months, at the moment - no.
There is a workaround to speed the animation up:
Install then launch Cheat engine, open Halcyon 6 process, tick : enable speedhack on the middle right of the window, set speed to *2 to *5, and voila, you're set.
It might move a bit too fast on the strategic map, but it's much better than suffering through their agonisingly long combat animations.
I could never have finished the game without it.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Was a bit disappointed with this one. The replayability is rather poor, the customisation options as well as synergies to explore are few and far in between. Combat becomes old fast, and since there isn't a way to speed the animations up or autoresolve, at some point you'll start trying to push towards the end asap - only to find out that you need higher tier ships, and those cost increasing amounts of resources, therefore there's a lot of grind between here and there.

Overall, it's great in concept but fails to deliver. Interestingly enough, prerelease material seemed way more ambitious than what we've got. I'm hoping they scaled down a fair bit to push it out of the door but plan to reintroduce a bunch of features as time goes by. If they add some meat to the game, I'll happily revisit.

My advice: don't buy it now but follow the dev team and see if they build on the release version in further patches. Might be worth the purchase in a couple months, at the moment - no.
There is a workaround to speed the animation up:
Install then launch Cheat engine, open Halcyon 6 process, tick : enable speedhack on the middle right of the window, set speed to *2 to *5, and voila, you're set.
It might move a bit too fast on the strategic map, but it's much better than suffering through their agonisingly long combat animations.
I could never have finished the game without it.

Good advice. :salute:

I used the same 'trick' to speed my research in MGS5. I have no regrets about this either. :dance:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
DEV LOG: The one about automated resource collection! v1.0.0.4 is LIVE!
24 SEPTEMBER - CASSENTRA
We meet again, space travellers...

As we mentioned in our recent Dev Transmission and the v.1.0.0.2 patch notes, we've been one part amazed and excited about Halcyon 6's reception and one part nose to the grindstone. In case you missed it, v1.0.0.3 was released last week, with some quick changes to the end-game.

That makes this update v1.0.0.4! Let's get to the goodies: SPACE CHORES NO MORE! While resource automation was always part of the mid-game, we hear you. It was a little later than some of you would have liked. We'd like you to meet Satellite Drones...
3fb34b8eb3d322dd907f807bad414d5297578023.png

What's New + Important Changes:
- Introducing New Satellite Drones that can be researched, built, and deployed to automate resource gathering. (NOTE: you'll see these for saved games in Act 1 and new games only. Existing games in Act 2 will have the "old" version of automation.)
- Act 2 no longer automates resource generation, it must be established using Satellite Drones (games in Act 1 and new games only).
- You can now Upgrade a Facility's storage capacity and resource generation (new games only).

General Bug Fixes and Enhancements:
- Fixed bug with Acolyte Predator Ship Upgrade not registering after research.
- Random aliens no longer attack colonies too early in Act 1.
- Pirate Mining Fleet disappears correctly when returning to Grus.
- Alien colony rescue missions are still clearable after the Mothership appears or the faction is killed.
- Pirate base assault can no longer fire at the same time as the Admirax battle.
- If a colony is destroyed by the pirates or the Voraash instead of the Chruul, any pending rescue missions are now removed from that sector.
- Lt. Starstabber's arrival is now hinted to after killing all three pirate commanders.
- Added additional check to prevent unresponsive colony edge case if a raider fleet is destroyed at the same time as a colony rescue mission expires.
- Fixed a bug with ruined colonies not stopping time when first discovered.
- Fixed an improper event dialogue type on the way to fighting the Admirax.

UI, Art & Animation:
- Created new animation for the tactical cloaking power.
- Fixed ground combat background that had foreground asset overlapping officers during combat.
- Fixing the speed and status effect timing of various animations (currently 39 animations affected)!
- Added new tab hot key to allow players to cycle through their fleets on the starmap.
- Quitting the game now prompts for a save.
- Upon entering ground combat, squadmates are prepopulated for convenience. #GreenShirtWorldProblems
- You can now cancel ship constructions for a full refund.
- Quick Save (F8) and Quick Load (F9)
- Fixed an issue where the artifact rooms had light peeking out above their room frame.

Quests/Missions & Economy::
- Prevented Spire from interrupting fleets passing through the sector.
- Chruul Portal Defense fleets now scale in strength.
- Expired missions clear immediately from the mission list.

Ships/Officers & Powers:
- Saving Cmdr Xiao - fixed bug with retreating from first contact, and she now gets the proper level as given by Officer Academy Upgrades.
- No more Empowered Systems effects in ground combat.
- Fixed a bug where max levelled powers would sometimes not appear in combat.
- Status effects that add up to over 100% damage reduction are now capped at 100%.
- Lowered costs for T1 and T2 Ship Upgrades.

There are some much requested features in this one, folks and there is still more to come. Be sure to let us know your thoughts! Good luck out there, commanders.
Automatic resource generation might be a great step forward. Now if they somehow could make combat more interesting, and cut some of the filler combat...

anus_pounder

Arcane
No automated resource generation, one legendary officer still missing, diplomacy stat but no diplomat class, lots and lots of filler combat...how is this game still not classified as Early Access?

da_rays

Augur
got this a few days ago and here to give my 2 cents. SO, Halcyon 6 : status effect , the game. While the concept is nice and entertaining , H6 is very grindy. Having to explore, repair , maintain and rebuild your space station is one of the good thing they did here. Ressource collection/gathering is tolerable too , with the new drones that can be built , its pretty much less an hassle now. Where you hit a wall in H6 is pretty much the encounters. Like ''rectal hammerer'' Anus pounder said above: So much filler combat! its mainly there to grind materials to make new ship/research/build rooms and space station . So you grind material on the filler combats fleet so you can prepare bigger ships to face the bigger filler combat. Each step you take foward the '' main missions objectives''' just take you to do the same thing but on a bigger scope. More filler combat of the same type vs bigger ships with more HP . It almost feel like a sandboxy game about space. While all and all its not a bad game per se , its just its very repetitive and can get old real fast. a nice example would be where my game is at. I have all my ships unlocked/research/space station in order , cleared all the objectives i had with the main ennemy of the game , and now i have more sector unlocked so i can gather more ressources to make new ships / officers / building . Ennemy are the same again , just that they are more of them . So its basically restarting a new game with just a bigger fleet , bu tim just too bored to do the same stuff i did for 250days ( in game of course hehe ) just to have 2-3 more fleets of ships and do the same things i did earlier in the game . So thats that.

TL;DR : Good concept , nice shell but a bit empty inside, put some more option ( diplomacy with others race , maintain thoses alliances and get the 2/3 of encounters, which are filler , more interesting/meaningfull toward halcyon 6 crew.) .

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
They seem to be quite dedicated to improve the game at least:
A7E84A86BCEAAB4E15D24DE0ADB4193B82BDA93A

They tease at next update bringing loadout customization for ships, and consumables. :o

anus_pounder

Arcane
At the risk of protesting too much, why wasn't all this stuff in the vanilla game? (afaik, the 3rd Legendary Officer still isn't available either) Seems like the game is still in early access.

That said, I'd be willing to give the game another go a year or so from now when its feature complete.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's not like this is the first game that was released before even somewhat finished.
If I didn't own the game already (from KS), I'd wait a couple months before buying.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
I just found out about this game, thanks to Steam recommending it, and I just wasn't sure. The pixel graphics are definitely a turn-off, since I play on a fairly large screen, but I could move past that. I read this thread here since I was worried that combat looked sort of drawn-out, what with the animations and ships having infinity billion HP. I saw that the difficulty settings just give the enemy ships more HP and damage, too. Tons of fun.

It does seem like the devs are committed to this game, so maybe it'll shape up into something good eventually. Here's the latest update:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/371200/announcements/detail/583615484601817948

v1.3.0.0, hot off the proverbial presses introduces an Equipment System! These consumable and non-consumable items can be found in various ways and allow for some pre-mission emergency preparation for your Starships. Micromanagers, planners, and collectors - rejoice! Let's dig in, shall we?

What's New + Important Changes
- Starships now can be outfitted with Equipment! Some equipment can be built in the new starbase room, the Foundry and some can be found while adventuring
- Station Health replaces Crew Death upon bombardment; Station is destroyed when Station Health (no longer Crew count) reaches 0; Station Health can be repaired in the Repair Bay;
- Overkills can be executed in combat by doing excessive damage on the killing blow, which could result in an Equipment reward

Bug Fixes + Enhancements
- Fixed bug with homeworld artifact retrieval after the Chruul Lt. has been killed
- Fix for crash after ship combat when the officer is not on board
- Fixed a bug with factions not being destroyed probably after becoming extinct
- Fixed a bug with the red alert not turning off after a bombardment has been dealt with
- Fixed a bug with the Admirax quest not working properly
- Sectors now have details which display whether a colony is automated or has been upgraded
- New and improved random events while exploring the Halcyon sector
- Fixed a couple typos
- Fixed a single off pixel in the male officer avatar model that was causing a small blip

Art + Animation
- Improved Fleet Launch and Ship Management screens to accommodate equipment additions
- Fleet travel lines have been made more efficient, travelling from the selected fleet to its destination, rather than its point of origin to destination
- New Overkill animation for space combat

Mission/Quest + Economy
- Trilithium and Zirordiax Reactors now require the previous reactor tech to be unlocked
- An untold number of new random and zany travel events!

And as always, thanks for your feedback and reports, explorers. We love hearing from you! Now get out there and save humanity!

Much <3
- the Halcyon 6 team.
I guess I'll check back in a few months and see what's shaking.

Norfleet

There's nothing to see here. It will never improve because improvement is a physical impossibility. Once shit, always shit.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This game was always on my "B" list so I never got around to it ... looks like the "actual edition" is coming in a few weeks! "To those who wait" and all that.

Update #63
Jul 17 2017

Halcyon 6: Lightspeed Edition announced!

Hello Commanders!

We're please to announce Halcyon 6: Lightspeed Edition! A community-driven, reworked, rebalanced take on the original game along with new features and content, optimized for faster progression for an action packed adventure on board your favourite starbase. Out on August 10th, this one’s FREE for all our existing players of course. A big thanks to you, our backers and players for making the galaxy a better place ;)

Here's the official trailer:

And here's a summary of what's in Lightspeed Edition:

• Streamlined Campaign greatly speeds up progression and tightens the campaign to an action and adventure packed 12 hrs depending on your play style and pace
  • Streamlined All Systems for faster progression, including economy, starbase, resources, and officer levelling.
  • New Officer Progression System with 6 subclasses, 3 Prestige classes, new skill tree, and over 20+ new Prestige/Epic powers.
  • New Ship Loadout and Config screen will let you customize loadouts (and save them) for your ships just before entering combat
  • Enhanced Combat includes 25+ new alien faction space combat abilities, more combos for both players and enemies, increased faction weaknesses and resistances, and other balancing tweaks
  • New UI Overhaul designed for greater readability and usability. Many quality of life enhancements to all areas of the game, too many to list here.
  • New Difficulty Mode called Vice Admiral and slightly increased difficulty across the board

ArchAngel

Arcane
This is good news. I always wanted to try it but people that did had mixed reaction so I said lets wait and see what happens. I guess it was a good plan :D

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Update #64

Aug 10 2017

Prepare for warp speed. ENGAGE! Lightspeed Edition is OUT!

6ce6101c11e7e8ae0787a019e6e70ebc_original.gif

Welcome everyone to the launch of Halcyon 6: Lightspeed Edition!

First off, a big THANK YOU to our Kickstarter backers for being amazing and providing great feedback on our game. We wouldn’t be here without you and this Lightspeed Edition is the result of your support!

Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/651660/Halcyon_6_Lightspeed_Edition/

For the detail oriented types, this post outlining the changes to Lightspeed Edition will be right up your alley: http://steamcommunity.com/app/651660/discussions/0/1471967615865750572/

We look forward to everyone's feedback!

If you're the social media inclined and want to boost our launch, here's our announcement tweet, if you could kindly give us a LIKE or RETWEET, we'd love you forever :D

https://twitter.com/Halcyon6Game/status/895632624131035141

Have fun and don't let the Yabblings rip you off!

Love, The Halcyon 6 Team

p.s. after you've played our game and have a moment, be sure to leave us a review, thank you!

p.p.s. we're ready to ship our next batch of physical goods for our Captain and above level backers. Please check your emails for address finalization!

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Ahoy-hoy.

I just picked this up. Should I play the 'Classic' Starbase Commander or start right away with the 'Lightspeep Edition'?

Zombra

Patron
Play the enhanced edition director's cut version. Why play an early draft?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom