Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

spekkio

Arcane
And what about quicksaves and deadzone for joystick emulation?

:rpgcodex:

Hoaxmetal

Arcane

deuxhero

Arcane
You can. You'll get banned if you go online with them though.

In fact you could for at least 2 years, though the previous way was pretty hacky and didn't allow patches/DLC.

mogwaimon

Magister
On the topic of 3DS emulation, people have mentioned that quite a few RPGs run fine on it, so I might try out Citra even though I own a 3DS since I can't stand playing on portable systems for too long because of bad eyes and the uncomfortable consoles themselves. As one can imagine, RPGs make it worse since, you know, 60-80 hours. AFAIK there's no peripheral to play 3DS games on a TV like there is with the Vita so I have to resort to emulation.

Has anyone had any issues running like...Rune Factory 4? Like inherent compatibility problems, not speed problems. My PC is pretty beefy so I think it'll handle it, I'm just worried I'll run into something like missing textures, odd crashes, or other issues that come with early emulation. I might try running Etrian Odyssey 4 as well, I was playing it as my first EO on my 3DS but I just couldn't stand using the system after a while so I ended up stopping in the second stratos.

I've also been wondering about regular DS emulation for similar reasons (Plus my flashcart is in storage somewhere). Is DesMuMe still considered the way to go, or did something better come along? How well does said emulator do Dragon Quest 4-6?

I've also been wondering about regular DS emulation for similar reasons (Plus my flashcart is in storage somewhere). Is DesMuMe still considered the way to go, or did something better come along?

There's Drastic, but it's for Android.

For PC Desmume is currently the best option, but MelonDS and the Medusa fork of mGBA seem to be the future since the main Desmume guy has apparently gone full retard.

Drama for entertainment:

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/5iawff/whats_the_deal_with_ds_emulation/

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/4lnmw7/desmume_devs_intentionally_sabotaging_ds_wifi/

Enviado de meu GT-N7105T usando Tapatalk

mogwaimon

Magister
I've also been wondering about regular DS emulation for similar reasons (Plus my flashcart is in storage somewhere). Is DesMuMe still considered the way to go, or did something better come along?

There's Drastic, but it's for Android.

For PC Desmume is currently the best option, but MelonDS and the Medusa fork of mGBA seem to be the future since the main Desmume guy has apparently gone full retard.

Drama for entertainment:

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/5iawff/whats_the_deal_with_ds_emulation/

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/4lnmw7/desmume_devs_intentionally_sabotaging_ds_wifi/

Enviado de meu GT-N7105T usando Tapatalk

Thanks, I was wondering why Desmume had been on the same version for a few years. I figured it was dead but kept checking every few months. I don't get the trepidation about implementing Wifi, especially now that the NDS servers are down anyways, but it seems like the dev is a bit off anyways. Hope the MelonDS guys keep on with what they're doing. More accuracy in emulation is best for everyone (Except old SMW romhacks, that is)

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Why are modders and emulator programmers always crazy and/or drama whores?
Because in order to spend years of your life working on software which is complicated and doesn't pay anything you need to either be insane or autistic.
Helps if you are both.

Plus even if they start with all their sanity they tend to grow an ever-increasing feeling of misplaced ownership towards not only their work, but also the base game, their community and what have you...

Last edited:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Speaking of things that are still far ahead, is there any starting point on PS4 / XONE emulation ? I mean, considering the architecture of those machines, couldn't it be possible already to understand it enough to have an emulator that is able to run a Hello World program or a Pong clone ? Or does that require a major breakthrough already?

mogwaimon

Magister
Speaking of things that are still far ahead, is there any starting point on PS4 / XONE emulation ? I mean, considering the architecture of those machines, couldn't it be possible already to understand it enough to have an emulator that is able to run a Hello World program or a Pong clone ? Or does that require a major breakthrough already?

Not that I know too much about what's going on behind the scenes, but PS4 at least doesn't really have much going for it. Yea, the new consoles are more similar to a standard PC in terms of architecture but the last exploited firmware was 1.76 IIRC and though there's rumblings that exploits exist privately who knows when those will be released? Once they are one can expect a few curious developers to maybe begin looking into emulation but it'll take a while. PS3 had working CFW years ago and it's still taken this long for RPCS3 to get where it is today.

I might be talking out of my ass here but moving forward emulation may become more about understanding the software on the target machine than the hardware, since we're moving away from having to get acquainted with specialized architecture and poorly documented specialized chips like SA-1, SFX, and the like to having to deal with encrypted proprietary operating systems. I would expect PS4 emulation to come before Xbox One, however. I mean the 360 has a bunch of good games unique to that system but it's like 4 years in with the XONE and I can still only think of maybe one game (Sunset Overdrive) that's a real exclusive that I would be interested to play.

flyingjohn

Arcane
ps4/xone games have some pretty heavy drm which means you can forget about any emulation efforts for at least 5 years,or forever.

A user named cat

Great Deceiver mentioned it but holy shit, the latest Dolphin 5.x builds are great. Ubershaders is amazing. I'm playing through Metroid Prime with even LLE audio and Dolby II enabled. It's absolutely smooth. No more stuttering or skipping, not even when areas load. Try it out if you haven't already.

0OtlUU7.jpg

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Saddest thing about the entire PS3 emulation is I just want it in order to play Tales of Vesperia.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom