Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Walden

Savant
Stranglehold

250px-Stranglehdcov.jpg

I'm almost done with the museum level. It's not good. The story and characters are trash, the camera is too close to the character and there's no way to switch shoulders, you can't zoom in for slower sensitivity, things like the stand-offs and running on railings are ridiculous and comical even for a John Woo-inspired game, the bullets are too fat, there are some annoying objectives like having to find and destroy drug caches before progressing and having to avoid explosive laser beams, everything in the environment breaks like it's stuck together with kids glue, the bosses have bloated health, the music is mediocre, the auto-slide over objects is kind of annoying, the slow mo leap isn't far/long enough to be of use... It's mediocre as a third-person shooter and bad as a Hard Boiled sequel.
Agree. Such a pity, for there are not many good third person shooters. Far better Max Payne 3, despite the boring story and too long cutscenes, but the gunplay and physics are p. good.
maximumarmour4erpm.gif

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Been playing Witcher 1 for the last couple of days.

It's pretty good. I don't know why people like to shit on it.

For me it's the game engine.

If your engine treats a 2-inch drop in elevation as impassable terrain, don't create architecture that has it.

If your engine can't handle facial animations properly, don't use close-up shots of people.

The game itself is probably fun to play, but the limitations of the game engine put me off playing it.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Stranglehold

250px-Stranglehdcov.jpg

I'm almost done with the museum level. It's not good. The story and characters are trash, the camera is too close to the character and there's no way to switch shoulders, you can't zoom in for slower sensitivity, things like the stand-offs and running on railings are ridiculous and comical even for a John Woo-inspired game, the bullets are too fat, there are some annoying objectives like having to find and destroy drug caches before progressing and having to avoid explosive laser beams, everything in the environment breaks like it's stuck together with kids glue, the bosses have bloated health, the music is mediocre, the auto-slide over objects is kind of annoying, the slow mo leap isn't far/long enough to be of use... It's mediocre as a third-person shooter and bad as a Hard Boiled sequel.
Agree. Such a pity, for there are not many good third person shooters. Far better Max Payne 3, despite the boring story and too long cutscenes, but the gunplay and physics are p. good.
maximumarmour4erpm.gif
I love Max Payne 3. I wish there were more games like it. Two months ago, I started making level playthroughs. They're the only YouTube videos I've ever made. I made five "no cover" videos because I was dissatisfied with the way other people on YouTube played and wanted to show that the cover system is mostly optional to the classic Max Payne fans who love bringing that up. Some of it is harder without cover. Most of it is easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoiYhHklWWs

sullynathan

Arcane
So I took the last two days to beat devil may cry 2. At first it wasn't that bad, the combat is weaker than the previous DMC games. There's something about the low difficulty that I forgive because Dante is far more powerful than he is in any of the other games so in a way, it makes sense that it's easier than the other DMC games.

I also like how devil trigger is customizable but that's where the good parts end.

There's a very large bestiary in this game but a large amount of the demons are just variations of one another. All three swords Dante get function the same and have the exact same movesets.

The game also has far too many bosses that it expects the player to just sit back and keep shooting at.

Lock on is permanent and no longer in the hands of the player making combat atrocious. You can fight one enemy and as long as another comes close Dante, the lock on will just switch to that enemy.

Overall the game was shit

I don't know why people like to shit on it.
Combat is really bad and the finale leaves a lot to be desired.

Just started playing the first Resident Evil on the Playstation. Decided to play through Chris' scenario first.
I'm replaying remake as Chris on hard mode because I beat the game with Jill months ago. Fucking zombies can't let me catch a break.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I tried out Yakuza 4 after a late night session of River City Ransom triggered my desire to beat the shit out of gangbangers. I am actually impressed. It hasn't been too hard to follow the plot even though I know next to nothing about the series. Currently I am on the second character where he has to break out of jail. I'm not a fan of this guy when compared to the first one, but I did like how he gunned down over a dozen people with a bunch of revolvers.

circ

Arcane
I tried out Space Impossible...

Oh god the handling. Mouse acceleration really? And how does an 'Atari 2600' game use up 25% CPU resources?

Is this made in Unity?

Oh...

Fuck this LOOOL.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Trying yet again to get into oblivion. I've remembered hearing that not everything in it was garbage, so why not?
So far after leaving sewers I decided to wander around and I am done with it after only 3 "dungeons", I dunno what's point in exploring world if it's pointless, caves and ruins with generic mosnters that don't give me ANY reward except trash and 20 gold at the end. Plus it's 6 years before skyrim so I have to go back the same way. Irritaiting and pointless so far.
I am bout to avisit first city, maybe quests will have any quality.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Trying yet again to get into oblivion. I've remembered hearing that not everything in it was garbage, so why not?
So far after leaving sewers I decided to wander around and I am done with it after only 3 "dungeons", I dunno what's point in exploring world if it's pointless, caves and ruins with generic mosnters that don't give me ANY reward except trash and 20 gold at the end. Plus it's 6 years before skyrim so I have to go back the same way. Irritaiting and pointless so far.
I am bout to avisit first city, maybe quests will have any quality.

Some of the Thieves Guild/Dark Brotherhood quests aren't as bad, but what you see is what you get. Mods barely make it better.

torpid

Liturgist
I'm playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution for the first time (bought it during the Steam sale). It's decent, but much too easy. The hubs are fairly intricate but too corridorish. My biggest issue is that deactivating a quest in the log will only remove the quest marker from your HUD radar--you'll still have the marker when you open the map. The hubs do have in-game directions, but I'd like to be able to open an actual map without having to preemptively guess where the map marker will be and avert my virgin gaze so that I can feel like I'm still gonna have to look for it.

Currently wrapping up Shanghai. I was disappointed that Jensen was never attacked by street gangs despite being constantly warned about the dangers of Lower Hengshua for an aug like him. The NPC lines try to create an atmosphere of oppressive danger that quickly evaporates when you realize everyone's a bro, even the gangsters that supposedly like to harvest augmented body parts.

Only character name I remember from the first game is Manderley, so when I hacked into a computer and found some emails signed j.manderley, I got pumped and was all "show me the Manderley!" but I haven't seen him yet :(.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished Batman:Arkham Knight,maybe not as good as the other two games but pretty enjoyable,its major flaws being the fact that they shove the stupid batmobile down your throat and that the two main villains(Scarecrow and the Arkham Knight)just aren't as good as Joker and Ra's Al Ghul. Still I enjoyed my time playing it

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Didn't find any quest in the city so I started main quest. Jesus christ fights are so boring. Dunno how people can play this even 50h, yet there are people that play 1000h
:hmmm:
Swinging sword like a stick for so many hours. I pity them.
Oblivion part wasn't that bad, although it was only fighting, is this game only about fighting?
At some point there was mission in the sewers, I had to follow guy through sewers for 5 min~. Fighting only rats and mudcrabs. Through few loading screens. Jesus, who designed quests in this game?

This game feels like a quest itself, a challenge to get any entertainment out of it.:negative:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
So some months ago I was going through my collection of oldies and reinstalling some that I've never listened to in Roland modes just to see what they sound like. I came across Warcraft, the first one, and was actually quite stunned with the soundtrack in Sound Canvas mode. Everybody remembers the 2nd game's music but the first one's is mostly forgotten - I couldn't even find a recording of the main theme on Youtube. This gave me the urge to replay the game - something I haven't done since the mid-90s - and while I stand by my comments about the music, I can see why the game itself was so quickly forgotten. It's frankly not very good. At its core it's an obvious ripoff of Dune 2, with small changes here and there (the way resources work, base-less "dungeon crawl" missions as well as that one rescue mission, spells and researching them) but not enough to disguise the fact most of the challenge comes from wrestling with a terrible interface and with an AI that's braindead but cheats outrageously. The UI in particular is so bad I gave up beating this fairly. Still it's amusing to see events that would eventually become core Warcraft lore (such as Doomhammer's betrayal of Blackhand, though the former isn't actually named yet, or Medivh's death, though again Khadgar didn't exist yet), or things that would be furiously retconned later (demons having nothing to do with the Burning Legion, the Shadow Council helping Doomhammer overthrow Blackhand). Still, other than as a curiosity and the music, there's not much of worth here.

This did however get me to install Warcraft 2 instead, which I also hadn't played in well over a decade. I expected to similarly have forgotten that this wasn't as good as I remember, but to my surprise I felt the opposite, I had actually forgotten how damn good Warcraft 2 is. The UI still has some quirks but they're a lot more manageable, and the core gameplay is a lot more solid. The 2 factions are still too similar, but the small differences do make more significant gameplay differences this time. Whereas I had expected it to get tedious eventually, naval warfare is a lot more fun than I remember, and having to build your invasion force in 2 steps does add a certain layer of planning and satisfaction as you execute the phases. Both campaigns are quite easy; the only mission that gave me some trouble was the final human one at the dark portal, since you get attacked by dragons quite early on and you start with no base and no real way to defend against them, other than a handful of archers. Still the missions are well designed and have quite a bit of variety; "map design" really is a thing in an RTS, and doubly so in one that has both ground and naval warfare. So many of them are memorable, whether due to the terrain features (cross-shaped Dalaran, twisty waterways and mountains at Tomb of Sargeras and Dark Portal) or the layout of the enemy bases. It's a classic game for a reason and it's still fun to play.

Next I tackled the expansion, remembering it to be more than just more-of-the-same, and it is. Hero units are used a lot more extensively than I remember, and while they're mostly just souped-up versions of normal units, in some missions they're the only source of certain abilities (such as Turalyon being the only paladin in some missions where you can't upgrade knights). Missions and map design are just as good or even better than the base game. However I feel the expansion ramps up too quickly. The 2nd mission is already much more difficult than anything in the base game, the AI has the advantage of superior numbers (MUCH more superior), still cheats outrageously, and seems to play much more aggressively. I understand why they went this way, the expansion is clearly designed for those who found the base game too easy (and it is easy). I just wish they'd gone with a smoother curve, have maybe the 2nd act be as hard as the OC's last. Difficulty levels would've also been nice but this was long before they were commonplace in these kinds of games. It doesn't help that I'm generally pretty bad at RTS games, despite liking a few of them quite a lot. As it is I eventually found the difficulty of later missions too tedious and gave up. A shame because the mission design is really quite stellar.

I'm curious to see how Warcraft 3 holds up now.

deuxhero

Arcane
Doing another New Vegas playthrough. Currently finishing some things up before I go through Lonesome Road and nuke the legion and get paroned for it (also try to detonate all warheads, because that's one of handful of achievements I'm missing so I might as well get it). Got close to the number of caps needed (low 40s) to finish Legend of the Star, so I'll finally finish that one. Is there a list of things Ceaser complains about after he pardons you? Have already stopped Camp McCarran bomb plot, retook Nelson, destroyed the southern cove, killed Vulpes, stopped the Omertas, and broke up the alliance with the Kahns (and amazingly I don't have any negative rep with the Legion yet).

Also has anyone legimately gotten the Desert Survivalist acheivement? I thought I might as well avoid stimpacks for a playthrough (they make the game too easy anyways) but despite healing every point of damage I got with food, I still haven't gotten a third of it despite having passed level 30 and healing exclusively by food. Should be trivial to console up a bunch of caravan lunches, save, close the game, load the save and drown myself while eating, but damn.

pippin

Legend of the Star gives you what aparently is the best laser pistol in the game. I dunno if you're using jsawyer, but iirc the mod makes the special caps appear on random bottles too; that could have been Yukichigai too, I can't remember now. Gameplay-wise might be a bummer to find them all so easily, but setting wise it makes more sense I guess. I assume you killed the deathclaws at the cave too?

deuxhero

Arcane
I think random bottles giving them is in the base game. I just never got enough of them before I got bored of the playthrough in question. One time I played energy weapons I used the MF Hyperbreeder Alpha.

What deathclaws? I saved the quarry (New Vegas is one of the few games with good shotguns, though they're only good with the right perks)

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Styx: Master of Shadows. It's surprisingly good. As usual, my mastery of shadows is way below average so on the highest difficulty everything takes forever. I can't say I'm such a huge fan of stealth games but somehow they never make me mad even if I have to reload 50 times to ghost a room properly.

Baterky

Literate
awesomenauts, i know it's silly, but i just can't stop playing it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom