Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
2roma8h.jpg

I killed Mike Wazowski, then I found a bottle. Maybe I should encage it in the bottle?

Hrymr

Educated
Mapping all of Wizardry 7 is a pretty crazy task though.
Well, it's really not worth the effort. Big part of the Wiz7 "world" is the useless wilderness connecting the locations.
And the actual dungeons are rather simplistic, especially if you compare them to Wizardry 1-5.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
I used the elevator and went down to level 3, there are a lot of breathing and magical creatures there, I have to thank that now are spells like Cortu and Kantios, because back in the old Wizardries... god.

PS: Just remembered for no reason the golden key in Wizardry 1. Anyone knows exactly what was the deal with it?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Mapping all of Wizardry 7 is a pretty crazy task though.

Is it?

Like I said, just invest a bit into mapping and keep using the kit. Lawnmow for a while, check map, scribe. Rinse and repeat.

Besides, it's not like precise hand mapping is even that necessary most of the time from what I've seen. Dunjins you can easily navigate with the in-game map, in the wilderness areas you just gotta mark up things of interest that are away from the road.

I found mapping Eye of the Beholder much "harder" than Wiz7 for example.

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
I get that for some of you there is some nostalgia tied to graph papers, but not everyone likes to map. Why should i spend time drawing maps on paper when i can have a computer do that for me?

Speaking of which, im currently trying to get Wizardry 6 to run with this automap mod:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/wizardry-6-automap-mod

The only problem is that as soon as i restart wiz6, all map data is lost. Im sure there is some way to save your map data since there are playthroughs on youtube with this mod and the guy always starts with a painted out map.

bataille

Arcane
'Check map' is a very light way to put it.
'Press U, select the ranger, scroll to the bottom of the item list, select the kit, click the kit, press use/enter to take a glimpse at a small part of the level' would be more accurate. Conduct the same ritual 20 times in the span of an hour and you get the mind-numbing gameplay that only the most exalted of autists and nostalgic people could handle. The mod just opens up the same map in a small window to the side of the main screen. It even uses your mapping skill to decide what features to show on it. And it just so happens to crash in battles.

Anyway, I've spent a lot of time trying to make it work, but the error just won't go away. Even the convoluted and very clumsy way of having an automap - using the cosmic forge editor to track your position - doesn't want to display the map in real time and just shows the black void (and works perfectly fine when showing the data for static save files).

bataille

Arcane

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Finally I get in Level 2 in the good old way, I forgot to search in a locked door (I didn't marked in my map to go later :roll:). But the good thing is that my party is in higher levels thanks to the time wasted fighting shit.

logrus

Augur
Project: Eternity
I didn't know that those crazy Jap guys made a Wizardry (anime) movie based on Wizardry 1!

I've just watched a few first minutes of the movie and although I'm not a fan of anime, this is one seems to catch an atmosphere of a dungeon crawler, quite impressive!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also, I was wondering - is there any connection between Wiz 1-5 and 6-8, like the way the M&M series is all connected with a superconvoluted "metaplot", or is it only the title and nothing else?

TigerKnee

Arcane
Also, I was wondering - is there any connection between Wiz 1-5 and 6-8, like the way the M&M series is all connected with a superconvoluted "metaplot", or is it only the title and nothing else?
You mean between 1-5 and the trilogy of 6-8 as two groups? I don't think so.

I didn't know that those crazy Jap guys made a Wizardry (anime) movie based on Wizardry 1!
mQiks0R.jpg

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Also known as "the guy who made Dungeon Lords".
He made Wizardry VII basically by himself. In less than two years. That places him in a level that very few can dream to ever reach.

Wiz V, VI and Wizards & Warriors are also great games. Dungeon Lords is... uh... a mistake.

pippin

Trebor himself worked as a supervisor on this OVA. In fact, he is well known and regarded among old anime fans as the guy who helped bring anime into the West, considering he created an importing company to do so. This is because Japs are the biggest Wizardry fans ever.

Eggs is eggs

Learned
I think I watched the anime while ago but forgot if it captures the "one asshole asks you to steal his thing back from another asshole" aspect of the actual story of Wiz1. One of the most charming things of the original game is how lame the story is. You're not saving the world, you're not helping anyone, you're not doing good deeds, you're just a bunch of errand boys for a crazy guy.

TigerKnee

Arcane
I can't even remember if Trebor is mentioned in the Anime - there might be a very small mention, but nothing major. Killing Werdna is definitely portrayed as a net positive for the world because he was going to use the amulet to conquer the world or something.

Most of the adventurers in the game is just stated to spend their time grinding whatever dungeon level they can to get drunk in the tavern until the guy that would eventually become the party clerics goes "Hey assholes, it's time to actually beat the game"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom