Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Does Skyrim have good soundtrack?

v1rus

Arcane
Title.

Been browsing some shit sites and saw sum faggots claiming twitcher 3 is unplayable since it has such a bad soundtrack (does it? I've been enjoying it so far, the complaint seems to be focused on repetitiveness), comparing it Skyrims majestic soundtrack.

Its been a long while since I wasted my time playing Skyrim, and for the life of me, I cant remember the ST. Sure, that whole "the Dragonborn comes!" stuff gets stuck in your head, but beside that, I cant remember any sort of impression made by ST.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
The main theme is surprisingly good, except for the retarded Dovakin thing, which sounds like some slav punk's surname.

Come to think of it, there's an orcish character named Durak in Skyrim, which is Russian for "fool". Intentional or not? Hmm.

Sentinel

Arcane
No. The only good track of the bunch is the title track (which is Morrowind - Viking Boogaloo) and Sovngarde

Witcher 3's OST is a complete 10/10

trimethylsilyl

Educated
The battle tracks in both Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim were shit.
The explore tracks in Morrowind were great, but there were too few of them.
The explore tracks in Oblivion were even better. The dungeon tracks were unnecessary
The explore tracks in Skyrim were good, but really forgettable. This makes sense though, as instead of making a few "epic" trakcs, JS made a lot of small "atmospheric" track that are bound to be forgettable.

v1rus

Arcane
Do your friends even realize that Jeremy Soule's entire career is one big repetition?

Ye, I just checked who the composer is, and his previous work, and lol'd pretty hard.

I played most of these games, and I cant remember a single tune. For clarity - Beat KotoR N times, NWN 1 2-3 times, played shit ton of Morrowind, adequate amounts (50h?) of both Oblivion and Skyrim, so I could hate 'em proper, and sunk too much time in GW2. Also played a good deal of DSII. Alas, with the exception of GW2 and Skyrim, all of those were in my youth, but then again, I still know the OT of HoMM 3 and HoMM 4 by heart.

Sentinel

Arcane
Listening to that made me realize how similar PoE's soundtrack is. I'm quite sure there's a song in there that starts out the exact same way, actually.

Falksi

Arcane
Morrowind's soundtrack was fucking amazing.

Skyrim's was nice enough. Far more forgetable, but part of that forgettability was the fact that the soundtrack usually sounded far more epic than the event it was linked with. For example, it may have started with "oh look a shout wall!" *cue choire of vikings & epic music*, but that soon became "FFS, not ANOTHER shout wall with ANOTHER useless power" *cue epic music, when inside you were feeling like this..........

The overall score was meh, and also weakened by the fact that it didn't have the sense of wonder that Morrowind did.

The Witcher 3 isn't a game I enjoyed, it bored me to tears, but it clearly has it's good points. However the soundtrack is definitely not one of them, and I turned it off.

v1rus

Arcane
Well, I guess I should listen through Jeremy Soule's work through, without making hasty assumptions - just realized that the reason I remember OSTs I think of as superb (PS:T, HoMM, MotB...) is the fact that I never stopped listening them - as soon as I have beat any of those games, I added 'em to my music colletion, and been relistenining them from time to time.

Time for some blasts from the past, eh?

Last edited:

v1rus

Arcane
.... Am I the only one who plays games on mute?

Imo, sound is extremely important, and one of the fundamental aspects that greatly contribute to immersion.

I mute competitive games i have played shitton, like DotA or Hearhtstone, since I know all the god damn sound effects by heart. Still turn them on sometimes tho.

Perkel

Arcane
Aside from retarded main dovahin theme rest of soundtrack is stellar. It is only one thing i can't say anything bad from Skyrim, quite the opposite.

Jeremy Soule rules. He is one of the few like Mike Morgan who can create ambience rather than just music.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom