Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jinn

Arcane
This has probably been addressed and I didn't see it, but have they said anything about better optimization for Pillars II? That it is a main concern and will be much improved?

Prime Junta

This has probably been addressed and I didn't see it, but have they said anything about better optimization for Pillars II? That it is a main concern and will be much improved?

They've talked about it during the Figstarter. Also demoed ridiculous numbers of FX on-screen not slowing things down. Loading times in particular are greatly improved, with no loads between main map and interiors.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

They've talked about it during the Figstarter. Also demoed ridiculous numbers of FX on-screen not slowing things down. Loading times in particular are greatly improved, with no loads between main map and interiors.

Yes, as PJ said, during the campaign, Adam B. said multiple times that the performance (load times and on-screen performance) was a major focus as they felt that it was a significant problem (I believe Adam said 'unacceptable' although I don't remember if that was load times or some other performance issue) with POE.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The load times are awful in PoE and they are very frequent, so it's good that they are at least doing away with loading screens for interiors in larger maps.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
the thing that worries me is that during the last livestream they mentioned how they had to remove some things because it was using too many resources, but only in relation to their lowest spec machine.. so they are cutting things that won't run on a lower spec machine, but they said nothing about enabling them on higher settings, they used the word "cut"

makes me think they are focusing on this to run on a potato and anything that it can't do they will just remove, so what is the point of having higher graphical settings if everything is tuned to the lowest of potato machines?

Sentinel

Arcane
Did he say anything about cutting stuff? IIRC Josh said they're testing Pillars 2 on the same low spec machine they used for Pillars 1 and then said that low specs might end up a little higher, but nothing dramatic.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
He said they tested PoE on a very low-end PC, are testing 2 on the same one and even with the added stuff the requirements will only be just a bit higher.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Did he say anything about cutting stuff? IIRC Josh said they're testing Pillars 2 on the same low spec machine they used for Pillars 1 and then said that low specs might end up a little higher, but nothing dramatic.

Dimitri said he had worked on some things that were really good but Adam told him they were "too expensive"

so yes they are paring things down so it will run on a potato and there was no talk of having these things on a higher setting... they spoke like if it can't get running on the low-end PC, it just won't be in the game

Fry

Arcane

Dimitri said he had worked on some things that were really good but Adam told him they were "too expensive"

"Some things" = Orlan fur FX.

I agree that it would be cool to be able to toggle such things off and on, but it sounded like it was an issue with the base model, so I'm guessing turning off parts of it wasn't worth the programming time if it was possible at all.

Sannom

Augur
I think they mentioned number of NPCs on screen and number of Godlike models as things that Adam vetoed because they were too expensive.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
"too expensive" doesn't mean "we're not adding it because it doesn't meet low specs".

well 'too expensive' in that context means it was taking up too many resources in the build, no?
and the amount of things going on in the build is affected by the specs.
so I don't think it's too much of a leap to say that it was cut because it was too demanding (in addition to everything else in the build) for low spec PC, which wouldn't be an issue for those without potatoes.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
"Some things" = Orlan fur FX.

I agree that it would be cool to be able to toggle such things off and on, but it sounded like it was an issue with the base model, so I'm guessing turning off parts of it wasn't worth the programming time if it was possible at all.

NVIDIA HAIRWORKS FOR ORLANS PLEASE

Sentinel

Arcane
"too expensive" doesn't mean "we're not adding it because it doesn't meet low specs".

well 'too expensive' in that context means it was taking up too many resources in the build, no?
and the amount of things going on in the build is affected by the specs.
so I don't think it's too much of a leap to say that it was cut because it was too demanding (in addition to everything else in the build) for low spec PC, which wouldn't be an issue for those without potatoes.
it can just be an engine related limitation that'd take extra time, effort, and money to work around, which Adam, as the producer, is in charge of making sure they don't spend on superfluous things.

Some things might tank performance in a way that hardware can't bruteforce unless you decide to spend significant time optimizing them. It's not just a matter of "amount of things going on is related solely to the specs of the target machines".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom