Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
No more Projection spamming for "free" (no friendly fire) AoE damage and healing if the spells cap at 2 per encounter lulz. I predict Ciphers being the most OP class because of their ability to endlessly spam their spells given enough focus, they can do it in PoE as well, but everyone has more spells to cast if they want to. Maybe monks, too, but eh.

eXalted

Arcane
I doubt that Sawyer will allow such thing.

Although, he has a fetish for Cyphers so dunno.

Lacrymas

Arcane
What do you mean no friendly fire?

Iconic Projection does AoE damage to enemies and AoE healing to allies, so no friendly fire :p It was incredibly useful in the second level of Od Nua, where a whole conglomerate of xaurips attack you and it's much more efficient to AoE them down while the tanks are blocking doorways.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
What do you mean no friendly fire?

Iconic Projection does AoE damage to enemies and AoE healing to allies, so no friendly fire :p It was incredibly useful in the second level of Od Nua, where a whole conglomerate of xaurips attack you and it's much more efficient to AoE them down while the tanks are blocking doorways.

Oh yeah that ball is broken, priest in general is. I don't know how these will work in Deadfire to be honest, and whether we will need the 3.0 patch to be able to enjoy the combat.

Delterius

Arcane
Well, I almost never rested and still got great use out of Project Image. That's an average of one spell use per encounter. With, eventually, 16 castings every encounter, something like Project would rank up there as something that is always useful. Further, Priests are gonna lose some of their immunity buffs.

BilboBaggins

Educated
Josh is gonna have to up his ship game.

s2v7g9.jpg

Fry

Arcane
In response to some schizophrenic questions about the role of companions...

https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...07509&perpage=40&pagenumber=218#post474450736

I view this as the point in structuring character definition and story development in this way. If I thought player character revelation and growth were more important than giving the player the freedom to define and express their characters and develop the other characters/storylines as they see fit, I would make games entirely differently than have been for the majority of my career.

Much of what I try to do is capture the freedom players have in playing a (good, hopefully) tabletop RPG. I have been playing and DMing TTRPGs for about 30 years. In that time, I have literally never heard someone excitedly relate the DM's plot that they played in or how they did what the DM's story asked them to do. I am not being hyperbolic. All of the stories that players related to me about their favorite moments in TTRPGs come from either the dynamism of the gameplay or from the stories they develop by flipping tables, punching quest NPCs in the nose, or otherwise fouling up/reversing the DM's plans. All of my favorite CRPGs growing up placed freedom of character definition and exploration at the core of the game: Pool of Radiance, Darklands, and Fallout -- with Fallout being the one that really ramped up the importance of player choice. And of those, Fallout had the tightest definition of the character's background, but the story development was more about how you influenced other people and places than how "you" changed.

While I don't have any problem with writing RPGs around more tightly defined characters (e.g. Geralt, Adam Jensen), that's not really the vibe of a game like Pillars / Deadfire, which is so directly connected to tabletop inspiration where everyone goes wild making characters of different races, backgrounds, classes, etc.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In response to some schizophrenic questions about the role of companions...

https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...07509&perpage=40&pagenumber=218#post474450736

I view this as the point in structuring character definition and story development in this way. If I thought player character revelation and growth were more important than giving the player the freedom to define and express their characters and develop the other characters/storylines as they see fit, I would make games entirely differently than have been for the majority of my career.

Much of what I try to do is capture the freedom players have in playing a (good, hopefully) tabletop RPG. I have been playing and DMing TTRPGs for about 30 years. In that time, I have literally never heard someone excitedly relate the DM's plot that they played in or how they did what the DM's story asked them to do. I am not being hyperbolic. All of the stories that players related to me about their favorite moments in TTRPGs come from either the dynamism of the gameplay or from the stories they develop by flipping tables, punching quest NPCs in the nose, or otherwise fouling up/reversing the DM's plans. All of my favorite CRPGs growing up placed freedom of character definition and exploration at the core of the game: Pool of Radiance, Darklands, and Fallout -- with Fallout being the one that really ramped up the importance of player choice. And of those, Fallout had the tightest definition of the character's background, but the story development was more about how you influenced other people and places than how "you" changed.

While I don't have any problem with writing RPGs around more tightly defined characters (e.g. Geralt, Adam Jensen), that's not really the vibe of a game like Pillars / Deadfire, which is so directly connected to tabletop inspiration where everyone goes wild making characters of different races, backgrounds, classes, etc.

Ah, Basic Chunnel. What a surprise.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
More from Josh:

IDK where anyone's getting the idea that we're not integrating the companions into the main plot. All of the Deadfire companions have a stronger connection to/drive toward the main plot than the Pillars 1 or New Vegas companions. Most of them also have breaking points re: how the Watcher makes alliances and takes sides with the factions and other companions.

Is there a way to turn this off?
Nope.

Naughty Dog excels at the "what if a game were pretty much just a standard movie where you watch/follow people doing things" style of storytelling. If you want to see games that ape cinema, that's about as close as you're going to get.

BTW, I think the Shadowrun games strike a nice balance between the complete blank slate style and characters like Geralt/Adam Jensen. They allow you to define a lot of what your character is, but the story ultimately funnels you into a specific background/set of relationships for purposes of establishing the hook and progressing the story.

The core of my argument is that the audience we're targeting has heavy overlap with a TTRPG audience. And TTRPG players generally loathe DMs/GMs who string them along on preset plots that they have little to no agency in. TTRPG campaigns often go wildly off the rails. The characters pursue side interests, get waylaid, goof around, and otherwise get entangled in a heap of plot points that are only tangentially related to what the GM/DM wrote or "designed". We cannot be as dynamic as a live DM, but we can create worlds and quests and structures that allow the player to go off the rails and to drive "The Plot" more than they would in a strictly linear story.

Quillon

Arcane
Josh stressed enough of times that they won't do things out of the blue or suicidal like 1 vs rest of the party.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If companions have breaking points, I hope it's clear from the start where their allegiance lies.
These are the guys that made New Vegas. I don't think anyone was surprised when they backed the Legion and Boone saw red, and I'm certain that helping factions in Deadfire will prompt responses from your companions telling you which party member is going to have to take a walk on the plank in the future.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Huh, Dimitri is a pretty good-looking guy, I wouldn't mind sketching in his notebook, if you know what I mean. :p

Anyway, companions. I hope we can sacrifice them again. There's a distinct lack of more ...sinister ones, so I find it hard to imagine my character (or a Bleak Walker paladin for that matter) associating with any of them outside the aforementioned sacrifices. I want at least my first playthrough to be with the story NPCs, but yeah, in PoE1 they are pretty annoying and mechanically subpar, so if they turn out to be like that I'd either take the sidekicks or make my own.

Fry

Arcane
Huh, Dimitri is a pretty good-looking guy, I wouldn't mind sketching in his notebook, if you know what I mean. :p

We look forward to your slashfic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom