Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
You will need patience... a lot of it. Pack all gear with crit dmg multi.

Oh, I have it.
I'm trying already a few days.
Main trick is to survive Dark Crypt, last try my char survived till floor 3 of it, I'm sure if RNG will let me to walk to Daikara after ST Fortress (I do Old Forest right before lvl 24) I can survive.

Also Iwant to try Brawler+Tinker, Necro+Tinker, Corraptor+Tinker.
Also Solipsist can win Insane, funny enough.

art style looks like something a 8 year old girl could make.
Yeah, hate such things too, instant "not buy" no matter what.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Main trick is to survive Dark Crypt

I never enter DK. There is no vaults in it, just a shitty boss and a red head:M

I'm sure if RNG will let me to walk to Daikara after ST Fortress (I do Old Forest right before lvl 24) I can survive.

My usual (Insane) Zone order is: drown uniques, Lumberjack, Trolmire, Korpul, Scintillating Caves, Rhaloren Camp, Norgos, Maze, Sandworm, Old Forest - no fortress (same as DK), Gloom.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Roguelikes.... ah, they have great potential to upset.
As Ogre Brawler on Insane, bought in Zigur's shop gloves of the Firm Hand that give Clinch, and Take Down.
Of cource was killed by boss in Golem Yard lol.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
So, what's generally considered to be the last proper version of DCSS before it all started going to shit? Apparently I still have a 0.16.2 install on my PC, and I was wondering if I should get a newer/older version.

PrettyDeadman

Hm, reminds me of this roguelike, forget it's name. Commercial one.
Dungeons of Dredmor?

Anyway, the Stoneshard game looks pretty good, but it all comes down to game mechanics. Putting this one to wishlist.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Overconfidence is one of mine Top3 char killers along with boredom and impatience. I like those crazy Tome4 builds: antimagic mage, Illuminate shadowblade...
...And Psyshot without gun, don't forget that! )
Yeah, I have sleep disorder so, fatigue is my enemy #1.

getter77

Augur
There should be quite a fair bit more meat on the bones added to Tangledeep throughout these next months of Early Access---confident it will arrive at a fine spot in the fullness of time.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Lately playing and enjoying "Lambdarogue" - an obscure roguelike. It is a bandlike (non persistent dungeons) - has nice tiles, dark moody music, plot, classes.

https://code.google.com/archive/p/lambdarogue/
https://code.google.com/archive/p/lambdarogue/downloads

tJQob7S.png

23J5n55.png

8pE5EEC.png

nTln7Fz.png

JTiDPXo.png

o6AK8ot.png

:love:

getter77

Augur
It is a good one, and in theory it isn't quite done yet though it could well still be awhile yet until the next/final big release happens.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I posted this also on JRPG forum:

"Hi. I started some days ago coding a roguelike from scratch in Java simply as hobby without thinking any theme or mechanics in particular. I have done some interactions like movement, open and close doors, and pick and drop items.

Yesterday I was thinking that done that basic stuff, it was the time to think about the mechanics that would make the game distinct to others. And I remembered how much I liked Vagrant Story and how sad is that there probably won't be any continuation ever. Even Spiritual.

I like the idea of character progression in a roguelike determined by the items you find (like in Brogue), so I thought I could also imitate some of the stuff I like about crafting in Vagrant story, to make this the central mechanic of the game. I'd also like to implement some of the spells, weapons arts,etc. Like in VS you would randomly find weapon parts of different quality, gems,etc. And after that, upgrade your equipment with the simple crafting system.

I think the itemization and crafting system in Vagrant Story was great, and the problems it had was because of the bad interface (contrived and frustrating menus), and the inability to switch weapons fast without having to navigate some menus to do such a basic action.

My question is: Do you guys like the VS crafting system eliminating its bad interface, or is a part of the game you don't enjoy or think is sound and interesting?

I'm not sure if this is a thing people would like to play, or if I'm the only one who enjoyed VS crafting despite the clunky menus.

Thanks to all!"

I would also set the game in that setting with its lore and bestiary.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom