Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Things in RPGs that make you happy

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
Kind of anti-thread to this one.

What are the little details you like about RPGs?

The things that make you go "Wow, I didn't expect that would work!"
Even things that are not necessarily crucial for gameplay, just nice little additions.

I for example was always a big fan of the item combination mechanics in Ultima 7 and Ultima Online (also Arx Fatalis).
You could just experiment with the items to see which could be combined and what the result was. It felt much more like something out of a PnC adventure game. Crafting felt like a proper extension of the gameplay mechanics instead of a gimmick that was just tacked on.

Also: Secrets, hidden quests & treasures. The monolith puzzles of Might & Magic or secret walls in Dark Souls - doesn't really matter. There aren't enough of those. I always took a shovel with me in Arx Fatalis because I thought I could dig up a treasure somewhere.

Last edited:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
There is no "Happy" with RPG's. It's only about what's less shit that the other ones.

Anyway, heavy doses of characterbuild based interactivity and reactivity (sometimes less expected than others) with the world, objects and NPC's is always on a more positive side.

Last edited:

Jarmaro

Liturgist
- good character progression
- being able to get powerful artifacts/items that are better than stuff from shop
- many dialogs that have reason to exist, not some filler
- being able deceive in quests
- freedom in moving through world, not necessarily open world
- no cliche characters, that you can know how they will act and what they will say only by listening to them 10 seconds

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Just a good ol fashioned interesting & exciting main quest, which takes me away from reality & makes me feel like I've been on an adventure.

Good side-quests which compliment the main story and give the game depth help too.

It's frightening how rare these basic elemts are overlooked in modern games, for elements which are essentially gimmicks such as open-worlds.

- when the game builds the world in such way that visiting new places, seeing new npcs, fighting new enemies and finding new items is exciting.
- gray characters
- when you finish the game and you get to see some images or even just text what happened to that place or that npc.
- character development is nice if you can make different playstyles work.
- if the game offers you a choice that the game actually respects your choice and doesn't railroad you to the one possible outcome anyways.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
"Wow, I didn't expect that would work!"

I have such a moment everytime I play DivOS. Coming up with clever mechanical solutions to little obstacles will never get old to me. Teleporting to a place I am not supposed to be at yet (or am I?) or beating a tough boss by charming him and watching him go after his minions, shit like that makes me happy.
The game is also full of sweet little touches, like the bard telling stories to a bunch of animals while Kyrill plays the lute in the background and you can actually switch the music by talking to him, its just really nice.

Ultima 7 is another game that is full of little touches that make me feel happy feelings. I love the tone shifts and the enviromental storytelling in that game. Finding a huge pile of dead bodies in a dragon's lair and then checking them and finding that all those bodies have Fellowship medallions on them, or finding crates full of silver venom in secret chambers in a mine full of gargoyle slaves, beating a druid in a thunderstorm in the forest and then finding an altar with a dead baby on it, its stuff like this that makes me go 'Oooh!' thats really memorable.

Last edited:

Walden

Savant
That strange and sudden feeling of not playin an ugly surrogate of a strategic game, or an action one, or a CYOA.
Some nights is harder, but when I see Wasteland 3 I know I'm not wasting my whole life on a lie. I found other hobbies indeed.

Zakhad

Savant
Doing something creative and discovering that the game lets you do it and doesn't railroad you into bad decisions. Few games achieve this. And maybe simulationist (Looking Glass style) games do it better than RPGs a lot of the time.

MoonlitKnight

Educated
- Reactivity
- Interconnected and varied in gameplay side quests
- When your character must suck in a skill or an attribute to be a master in another
- non-binary C&C

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Killing gay characters.....and trannies too,some times even black people also purging liberals with fire.
That reminds me to download and try Inquisitor.Does anyone knows if it is an ok RPG?

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Crafting items is always fun. Had loads of fun with AoD crafting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom