Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Silver waifu Alisa is in the game but will gold waifu Claire be? The despair and purgatory of uncertainty still persists :negative:

Deleted member 7219

Alisa > Claire > Sara.

Claire seems a lot more into Rean but she'll probably end up being his older sister or something. Sara is a raging alcoholic - imagine trying to live with her. She'll get liver problems in another 20 years or so. Also she doesn't show any kind of romantic interest in Rean.

Once she gets over her bitchiness in early CS1, Alisa is pretty much perfect.

Deleted member 7219

I've completed Trails in the Sky 3. Good send off to all those characters. Quite addictive gameplay too - every night I played it I often found myself having to get one more level before bed, especially in the abyss plane and the final dungeon when I was grinding a bit more. The doors were great, heavy on the storyfaggotry, revealing some very interesting things about the characters - and a few of them setting up the story for Cold Steel 1 and 2 - and also giving very useful bonuses (like the Jinu sword for Anelace, and Tita's Orbal Gear).

As for that final dungeon:

Main party was Kevin, Ries, Joshua and Renne. I picked Renne because she has the best arts in the game, and her S-craft beats Olivier's. Kloe was another option but I was using Kevin in a support role. It was a toss up between Joshua and Richard, but I picked Joshua in the end because of his speed (and I gave him an abyss weapon so he had the edge in stats).

I really liked the four party method of the final dungeon. Being able to use all the characters was great - some of them I hadn't really used and it meant I got to appreciate them a bit. Even pointless characters like Josette did their bit - I used her to snipe some of the exploding enemies from the back of the party.

Picking characters for multiple parties is a really great game mechanic - to my knowledge only one other game has done it before, KOTOR2, during the Onderon/Dxun Royal Palace/Sith Temple mission. It's great to see other characters become the protagonists and being forced to use characters you wouldn't otherwise use. Does anyone know other games that use this mechanic?

Doors were good, story was good although they're going to have use Kevin/Ries/the church more in future games for the whole thing not to seem pointless overall.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
My four teams for the final dungeon:

20170706054651_1.jpg

Hmm, just realized that female characters outnumber the males.

Deleted member 7219

Gotta be them SJW propaganda

No, the women in the Trails games are strong on their own merits without being handed anything or having to put the male characters down.
Good description of Sara and Schera.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but I can't remember any time those characters complained about how oppressed they were by the patriarchy. Sara encouraged Rean to achieve his full potential rather than shame him for being male. Schera, well, Schera was just happy drinking Olivier under the table...

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In

Gotta be them SJW propaganda

No, the women in the Trails games are strong on their own merits without being handed anything or having to put the male characters down.
Good description of Sara and Schera.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but I can't remember any time those characters complained about how oppressed they were by the patriarchy. Sara encouraged Rean to achieve his full potential rather than shame him for being male. Schera, well, Schera was just happy drinking Olivier under the table...
I wasn't, both are great dames, we just need closure on ReanXSara and ScheraXOlivier.

insukk

Augur
Patron
Codex 2012
So... I have Trails in the Sky on Steam and Cold Steel on Vita. Should I start with TITS trilogy or I'm fine playing CS first? Or even switching between them to shake things up a little.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I recommend you play through TiTS games first. They are older and they take place before the Cold Steel games chronologically so it makes sense to start from there.

However, you don't absolutely need to, since Cold Steel games don't rely on your knowledge of the TiTS games.

Deleted member 7219

I recommend you play through TiTS games first. They are older and they take place before the Cold Steel games chronologically so it makes sense to start from there.

However, you don't absolutely need to, since Cold Steel games don't rely on your knowledge of the TiTS games.

This.

The stories are self-contained but if you're a lorefag you'll get a lot out of playing TitS before ToCS.

Deleted member 7219

Is 3d part of TiTS the cheap recycled cash grab judging by first chapters or?...

No. The main story is about Kevin and Ries. There are optional moon, star and sun doors which are a mix of playable segments and cutscenes which show what happened to the other characters after TitS 2. There are other doors which go into the history of the Septian Church, Ouroboros, and one door in particular that sets up ToCS 1 and 2.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Most areas and some bosses are recycled from FC and SC. It's a game primarily for fans who are interested in Trails lore and the characters.

Deleted member 7219

Most areas and some bosses are recycled from FC and SC. It's a game primarily for fans who are interested in Trails lore and the characters.

That's true, but you wouldn't have even played through and completed both FC and SC if you weren't already a fan - they are weighty games...

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Kinda, but I think that TiTS FC & SC and both Cold Steel games can be recommended to any jRPG fan but TiTS 3rd certainly not. It's worthwhile only to people who are really into the series and want to know more about the characters and lore.

Deleted member 7219

Kinda, but I think that TiTS FC & SC and both Cold Steel games can be recommended to any jRPG fan but TiTS 3rd certainly not. It's worthwhile only to people who are really into the series and want to know more about the characters and lore.

It does the dungeon crawling thing very well - but the length dialogue/story sequences could get tiring (but no more so than FC and SC, which had similar moments).

Mychkine

Educated
I've just finished ToCS I and II and I'm asking myself whether I'll have to buy a PS4 to play III or it will also be published on some other platform. Between P5 and this, this makes for 2 games I really want to play that are not available outside some rather shitty closed system. I admit I played CS I & II, and that I'm currently playing SC on another shitty closed system that is the PS Vita, but at least, I've got the benefits of mobile gaming (that fits JRPG very well I think).

Falcom really foes the story-heavy RPG better than any other company. Trails series is like playing through a well written TV series that would happen to have rather competent gameplay to boot. I long for Crosbell games to be translated too.

Deleted member 7219

I've just finished ToCS I and II and I'm asking myself whether I'll have to buy a PS4 to play III or it will also be published on some other platform. Between P5 and this, this makes for 2 games I really want to play that are not available outside some rather shitty closed system. I admit I played CS I & II, and that I'm currently playing SC on another shitty closed system that is the PS Vita, but at least, I've got the benefits of mobile gaming (that fits JRPG very well I think).

Falcom really foes the story-heavy RPG better than any other company. Trails series is like playing through a well written TV series that would happen to have rather competent gameplay to boot. I long for Crosbell games to be translated too.

If ToCS 1 and 2 sell well, I think the chances of 3 coming to the PC are quite high.

If ToCS is a flop... well... let's hope that doesn't happen. I think all of us want to see the Crossbell games too.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Between Cold Steel 1&2 and Ys 8 coming to PC(and now Ys 7), the possibility of Cold Steel 3 coming to PC is there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom