Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Pathfinder: Kingmaker Codex Fundraiser - Better Late Than Never

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Who raised the funding goal to 5 million dollars? Dammit DU. :lol: Crooked Bee

PrettyDeadman

Doesn't seem like raising goal to unachievable ammounts actually helped fundraiser...
This looks like a sabotage by hostile forces.

Quantomas

Savant
Now, having had the opportunity to watch both live streams in full,

here is my takeaway.

Highlight from the Owlcat stream:

MCA said:
Let's call it a day. We are wrapping up the stream. Post your final
Alexander Mishulin said:
No, there is another area I want to show you!

And on they go to visit the hidden dwarven outpost. Was absolutely the right call as things get interesting there, up to the point where I wonder if the player can actually enter the dungeon where the kobolds disappear in the demo.

The mmorpg.com stream is somewhat longer and shows more options, gameplay, and locations. In general the gameplay feels meaty and particularly the combat well paced. Movement is slower than PoE but not infuriatingly so as for example back in Ruins of Myth Drannor. You still get the sense of urgency as the characters move towards their destination. Difficult to tell at this point whether it's round-based, but could be as a lot of actions happen still in sync.

And yes, it turns out you can enter the dungeon in the dwarven outpost already.

In general 10K views is not a lot if you consider Pathfinder: KIngmaker has 18,000 backers. Seeing that they could give the demo to mmorpg.com, I begin to wonder why they didn't plan ahead to involve a prominent YouTuber like Angry Joe.

Regarding the Codex fundraiser, I decided to keep my pledge on Kickstarter to still make comments there. I usually don't do betas and don't need any of the other stuff, but I will look at what my wallet says and how things go when the Codex fundraiser wraps up.

Have I understood correctly that we need to raise $2,500 to get to the building/NPC tier?

PrettyDeadman

In general 10K views is not a lot if you consider Pathfinder: KIngmaker has 18,000 backers. Seeing that they could give the demo to mmorpg.com, I begin to wonder why they didn't plan ahead to involve a prominent YouTuber like Angry Joe.
This seems so stupid of them. They had a playable build which speak very favourably about the game, but only gave it to one dude.
If some of the bigger streamers/youtubers made content about this game during kickstarter, thye could've gotten addition 1-2 million dollar.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Still waiting for the fucking sweater I was gonna get for Larian's relationship simulator.
Until then, my wallet stays shut, damnit.

(Edit: Fuck it, I lied. But it woulda been more if I'd had something DOS to keep me happy!)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This seems so stupid of them. They had a playable build which speak very favourably about the game, but only gave it to one dude.
If some of the bigger streamers/youtubers made content about this game during kickstarter, thye could've gotten addition 1-2 million dollar.

The ultimate move: Releasing the prototype to the public as a free demo.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Codex bleeding me dry.

You already have my email, my patience, my virginity, my self-esteem, my money.

WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?!
:negative:
your house, your parents wealth or inheritance, the clothes tou are wearing, your kidneys, your corneas, your liver, heart, lungs, etc.

There are alot of easily monetized resource you can take from the average human being

Gregz

Arcane
Is there a list of feats, special abilities, archetypes, and prestige classes?

This:

8voJq5y.jpg

is an extremely underwhelming way to demo character creation.

Last edited:

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
They haven't talked about feats, as far as I remember. Only that there will be over 300 of them.

Arcane Trickster is in the game already, other Prestige classes are planned as well. Dragon Disciple seems likely. As does Aldori Swordlord.

Archetypes will be probably revealed later, there might be even community votes.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Nope, but we know they will have all core classes + Magus, so thats':

Barbarian
Bard
Cleric
Druid
Fighter
Magus
Monk
Paladin
Ranger
Rogue
Sorcerer
Wizard

It seems fair to assume at least 2 archetypes per class - 3 seems a likely number if they want to stick to "core" Pathfinder content. Sadly, they probably won't be including a proper Blackblade I'm assuming since that'd be a lot of work :'(

They've said they're gonna include more than 300 feats (which is one reason among many including kingdom system that I fear feature creep).

Nothing really solid on prestige classes I believe except they will be including some and one of them is Arcane Trickster. Though remember Prestige Classes aren't as essential to customization in Pathfinder as in 3.5 because base classes are better and have more choices built in.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Nope, but we know they will have all core classes + Magus, so thats':

Barbarian
Bard
Cleric
Druid
Fighter
Magus
Monk
Paladin
Ranger
Rogue
Sorcerer
Wizard

It seems fair to assume at least 2 archetypes per class - 3 seems a likely number if they want to stick to "core" Pathfinder content. Sadly, they probably won't be including a proper Blackblade I'm assuming since that'd be a lot of work :'(

They've said they're gonna include more than 300 feats (which is one reason among many including kingdom system that I fear feature creep).

Nothing really solid on prestige classes I believe except they will be including some and one of them is Arcane Trickster. Though remember Prestige Classes aren't as essential to customization in Pathfinder as in 3.5 because base classes are better and have more choices built in.
This list lacks Inquisitor and Alchemist.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
If you pay me I will definitively participate in the Community Pathfinder Kingmaker Codex Kickstarter

That might be a little counterproductive but this is an actual option that you should consider before killing yourself

Alex

Arcane
Regardless, you're right that it's weird to be OK with at-will CMs and think per encounter is degenerate, unless of course you want your games to make a lick of sense.

Fixed.

Codex bleeding me dry.

You already have my email, my patience, my virginity, my self-esteem, my money.

WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?!
:negative:

Don't you mean... bleating me dry?

DeepOcean

Arcane
Humm, maybe it could be because their game is at early stages but those fights with the trolls made me disgusted. Sure, in the end they could have varied and challenging combat but it wouldnt be the first time that developers populate their games with shitty trash mobs to pretend a game has more content than it really has, this is a common tactic since the beginning of the days. Especially kickstarter developers that have a tendency to run out of money before they finish a project. Those trolls took forever to put down and lots of auto attacks what reminded me of the torture PoE combat was especially on the 1.0 patch.

I'm not 16 years old anymore and my patience is short, I hate trash mobs, especially the ones that take forever to put down. I dunno if this is a problem of the game being on early stages of if they are even aware of how shitty and uninspired those battles look what leave me worried. Did they mention something that I miss?

Right now, I'm not convinced, sure, it has pathfinder and the character building seems to be an step up from the uninspired shit that PoE was on this department but this doesn't necessarily makes a game that is worthy to play all the way to the end. Being a RtwP game is another big no no, it means the possibility of the end game being full of filler content even higher. Sorry codex, after wasting so much money and getting mediocre crap in return, I'm way more demanding. Could be because I'm a jaded fucker with no heart but the burden of the proof is on the developers and I didn't see anything that impressed me and made think this will be any better than the run of the mill modern crap that pass for RPGs.

Sure, Avellone could work his magic and make a mediocre game being playable for the storyfagness aspect as he used to do to save Obsidian games from pure boredom but I'm not sure how commited he is to this. Please, someone prove me wrong, because my default attitude when I see a kickstarter page isn't exactly optimism these days.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Humm, maybe it could be because their game is at early stages but those fights with the trolls made me disgusted.
There is a slightly longer video available and it seems that trolls are the main enemies we will encounter (either green or brown):

Edit:
During the 1h 50 min. video on the first page there are 3 fights with human bandits, 5 with kobolds, 6 with animals and at least 9 with trolls. So 40% of all fights we'll have during first 2 h of the game are troll fights. Seems to me they are main opponents then if we're going to spend most of our time dealing with them. And in the video above that troll rate is even higher.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Humm, maybe it could be because their game is at early stages but those fights with the trolls made me disgusted. Sure, in the end they could have varied and challenging combat but it wouldnt be the first time that developers populate their games with shitty trash mobs to pretend a game has more content than it really has, this is a common tactic since the beginning of the days.Especially kickstarter developers that have a tendency to run out of money before they finish a project. Those trolls took forever to put down and lots of auto attacks what reminded me of the torture PoE combat was especially on the 1.0 patch.

I'm not 16 years old anymore and my patience is short, I hate trash mobs, especially the ones that take forever to put down. I dunno if this is a problem of the game being on early stages of if they are even aware of how shitty and uninspired those battles look what leave me worried. Did they mention something that I miss?

Reminder: Adaptation of a pen-and-paper module.

PrettyDeadman

Humm, maybe it could be because their game is at early stages but those fights with the trolls made me disgusted.
There is a slightly longer video available and it seems that trolls are the main enemies we will encounter (either green or brown):

It seems to me that gameflow is based on a number of crisisis you encounter during your years as a ruler of county/kingdom.
Trolls attacking is a one of such crisis, but they are not the main antogonist of the game. Troll crisis will be a part of bigger overarching plot and behind the scene machinations.
I am pretty sure you will be able to resolve peacefully one of the conflicts with other races inhabiting your kingdom and make them subjects of your kingdom instead of killing them

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom