Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Shit in RPGs that piss you off

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
General streamlining of skill and character systems; e.g. cutting down skills that might sound mundane and are held as "common knowledge", and skilluses that are taken for granted; (like swimming for one example). Skills for "perktrees" is fucking annoying. Thresholds for weighted ability checks is the worst offender though. Those are the most disappointing things in RPG's of today.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
The closest we get are Jagged Alliance 2 (1.13 modded), though even that game has a cheesy 'insta-deposit into bank account' button for cash (but at least it is not massively heavy amounts of pure gold and shit).

You're a dumb turd.

gaussgunner

Arcane
I don't make it back here as often anymore since the Putin/Trump fan club took over the Codex so I was unaware there was a new Nalakh/Natuk thread.

Well take it back, then. Myself, I appreciate that this place isn't overrun by leftists, but I came here to talk about RPGs. Wish there were more threads like this one.

SkeleTony

Augur
I don't make it back here as often anymore since the Putin/Trump fan club took over the Codex so I was unaware there was a new Nalakh/Natuk thread.

Well take it back, then. Myself, I appreciate that this place isn't overrun by leftists, but I came here to talk about RPGs. Wish there were more threads like this one.

I don't personally care whether anyone is Left or Right but fucking be rational about it. Trump fans are literally the dumbest people I have ever encountered on any forum anywhere. They are to the Right what Ramtha cultists (yes they still exist...at least up here in Washington) and 'alternative medicine' blowhards are for the Left (probably way worse actually).

gaussgunner

Arcane
I don't personally care whether anyone is Left or Right but fucking be rational about it. Trump fans are literally the dumbest people I have ever encountered on any forum anywhere. They are to the Right what Ramtha cultists (yes they still exist...at least up here in Washington) and 'alternative medicine' blowhards are for the Left (probably way worse actually).

There's some of that (not so much anymore without Irenaeus :salute:) but a lot of Trump supporters have reservations. "I don't really know that much about him, I don't believe a damn thing in the news, but clearly he's an enemy of the old guard, so I'm pulling for him" is a common mindset around here. That's not fandom.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Having to run around to each shop in a city to sell your loot. A large portion of any Bethesda game is trying to find your way from one shop to another. Why make me run from the gate to Belethor's shop every time I hit my encumbrance limit? And then Belethor has a limited amount of money, so I have to carefully add up just under $1500 of stuff to sell him, then go to the next shop. And since all the buildings look the same and the cities are deliberately designed to be hard to navigate (Megaton) I'll probably go into the wrong door.

There's no good reason to be interacting with shopkeepers by running around in the 3D world. I could have done all that within 10 seconds through menus in Darklands.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron

Spotted the mentally handicapped lefty.

"I don't care about _____"
*proceeds to care about ____*

*sweeping generalizations*

*uses literally wrong*

*DRUMPF*

Having to run around to each shop in a city to sell your loot. A large portion of any Bethesda game is trying to find your way from one shop to another. Why make me run from the gate to Belethor's shop every time I hit my encumbrance limit? And then Belethor has a limited amount of money, so I have to carefully add up just under $1500 of stuff to sell him, then go to the next shop. And since all the buildings look the same and the cities are deliberately designed to be hard to navigate (Megaton) I'll probably go into the wrong door.

There's no good reason to be interacting with shopkeepers by running around in the 3D world. I could have done all that within 10 seconds through menus in Darklands.

I think they're pushing for a more realistic thing with the merchants having limited money and only accepting certain items. Of course games aren't real life, but these games try to emulate real life to some degree. You can't go to a game store and sell food, for example. And you certainly can't buy out the entire store.

Moonrise

The Magnificent
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Hiking and horseback riding simulation. This is a lack of content masquerading as content. In a tabletop game, provided you've prepared and nothing goes wrong, travel concludes with a few sentences. Daggerfall had it right. Are you traveling by foot, or by horse? Will you camp, or meander and stay at inns? These things cost time and money. And they impact your condition. The fact that quests are timed, and reputation degrades, means you'll think twice before embarking on a long journey. You should be made to wrap up your business. I don't know anyone who will wait indefinitely for me to accomplish what they've asked me to do. The important thing is that, even though you make all these decisions, the travel doesn't waste your time in real life.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
One thing that pisses me off is shitty boss battles. I mean come, the fuck on you are making a video game, if you cannot make an enemy that provides a decent challenge then just stick to making Adventure games or visual novels. Or just don't bother with "epic" plotlines about saving the world and just stick to lower key, personal stories. Nothing pisses me off more than some super-God hyped through half of the game being a total bitch.
One game that tries to address this is Final Fantasy IV. I know I know JRPG. But its boss fights tend to require you to switch up your strategy (especially the one in Mt. Ordeals).
Related to bosses: Boss enemies that just have some MOAR NUMBERS.

Fuck, gimme a enemy that has some weird ability. Or a trick.
See above.
I should have played a shit game with more problems than Divinity (your point not being one of them) instead of Divinity because the developers decided to gate me out of a few quests simply because they forgot to add an amulet or ring that gives you the Pet Pal talent? A bit extreme, but ok.
That ring or amulet would remove the option of whether or not to take Pet Pal. You should probably stay away from Wasteland. You'd want an item that gives you higher Toaster Repair. Also they didn't forget it, you moron. It was a deliberate design decision.

On topic:
-I don't mind alignment systems but fuck any game which it's alignment system consists of NG to CG (I'm looking at you Bioware)
-Fuck excessive cutscenes.
-Fuck when a villain is really fleshed out and has reasonable motivations but you can't join them.
-Fuck when a game calls itself an action RPG and fails at both action and RPG.
-Fuck when exploration is absofuckinglutely meaningless in an open world RPG.
-Fuck when that God shattering über weapon of legend can be outdone by something sold by a merchant near the final dungeon. Hold out on the über weapons until near the end, or don't make random drops better by leagues.

Wayward Son

That ring or amulet would remove the option of whether or not to take Pet Pal.

Which would be a fucking stupid and insipid thing.
FTFY. There would be no point to the trait/feat/whatever the fuck it is called existing if there is a way around it such as that. It is optional side content that requires a certain ability in order to access. I could maybe see your argument if it was story related quests but AFAIK they aren't. On top of which, if they give you access to this many quests you couldn't otherwise do, then it obviously isn't useful you fucktard.

Kitchen Utensil

Everything that's in The Witcher 3, except maybe some of the writing, creature design and parts of the world. One of the worst, tedious, most boring games I played. Loot sucks (tenhundredthousandquintillion swords, all look the same, play the same and have shit stats, wow), exploration sucks, movement/controls suck, gameplay sucks (witcher sense, lol..), the "skill tree" is a fucking joke, balance is a joke.. boy what a shit game.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Which would be a wonderful thing.
Yeah, I hate having to decide what my characters can and can't do. Just let me do everything.
And what's with these so-called stats, of course I don't want to be weak! Todd Howard got it right. Just make all my characters strong.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron

FTFY. There would be no point to the trait/feat/whatever the fuck it is called existing if there is a way around it such as that. It is optional side content that requires a certain ability in order to access. I could maybe see your argument if it was story related quests but AFAIK they aren't. On top of which, if they give you access to this many quests you couldn't otherwise do, then it obviously isn't useful you fucktard.

Muh artificial padding to increase replayability

Wayward Son

Muh artificial padding to increase replayability
You make a build decision to not take this "useless" ability. It turns out to be useful in the form of unlocking otherwise gated quests. You complain about the fact that it has this use and suggest ways to make it useless. I agree with many of the others. Go play Oblivion or Skyrim instead of an RPG where you have to make build decisions that actually affect how you are able to interact with the game world via its quests and quest structure. Fucking simpleton.

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Clicking on one side of the map and waiting for my characters to walk aallllllll the way over there and then doing it again on the next screen and again on the screen after that. Unbearable even with a fast forward mode. Much prefer the Wizardry/early Ultima approach. Navigate as fast as I can tap the keyboard.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
If you can just walk into a wrong neighbourhood and learn about it through being oneshotted you have to save/load till you understand the designer's intent. It's fine in Dark Souls because you learn you shouldn't go there just as your character learns. Otherwise you're playing as an incredibly lucky hero who just managed to not go into a dangerous places. That irritated me about Gothic/Risen which practically requires you to explore and kill all the weaklings to become strong enough yet you can easily be instakilled if you take the wrong turn. Gothic 1 was better about it as it was more or less clear who's stronger than starting character, but still later you have to learn if you strong enough through trial and error.

I have no idea what's your point as your post has no sense.
Gothic 1&2 has very obvious presence of enemy's power, if you go into fucking dark forest that is dangereous don't be suprised to be attacked by wargs and orcs.
Which you can say are powerful just by looking at them.

Gothic 1 was better about it as it was more or less clear who's stronger than starting character, but still later you have to learn if you strong enough through trial and error.

...what?
You are ready to go somewhere when game tells you you are ready as you progressed enough, for instance they tell you NOT to go into Orcish land as it's very dangereous.
But then with the main quest at some point you are supossed to fight with orcs so it's very clear singal that you are able to fight them.
If you think about it more, everything in shows you how powerful it is just by how it looks. Everything.
I should mention that when you are fighting final orc shaman for the first time without sword Uriziel protagonist says to himself that Shaman is "Too powerful" and that he can't kill him and we should gtfo from there ASAP, that's the only exception, plus they even explain that to you.
I don't know what system would be more transparent, you literally can't make mistake unless you are stupid or insane.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
- Cliche dialogs
- Not following game's world rules
- Sucking player's disck about how awesome he is
- (Controversial) Having to manage more than one character. When I play, I want to play character I created and progress, not to take care of 5 team mates.
- FORCING PLAYER OUT OF A SUDDEN TO PLAY AS COMPANION. THIS IS BIGGEST BULLSHIT POSSIBLE. For instance, in DA:O defending gates in final mission using those companions that we didn't take with us to fight final boss (beceuse we didn't give a fuck about them)

eXalted

Arcane
Clicking on one side of the map and waiting for my characters to walk aallllllll the way over there and then doing it again on the next screen and again on the screen after that. Unbearable even with a fast forward mode. Much prefer the Wizardry/early Ultima approach. Navigate as fast as I can tap the keyboard.
That's why I am unable to play BG1 and BG2 :smug:

Quillon

Arcane
- FORCING PLAYER OUT OF A SUDDEN TO PLAY AS COMPANION. THIS IS BIGGEST BULLSHIT POSSIBLE. For instance, in DA:O defending gates in final mission using those companions that we didn't take with us to fight final boss (beceuse we didn't give a fuck about them)

I didn't mind this much in DA:O despite having the same experience with those companions who I hadn't even equipped proper armor. But I hated playing as Ciri in W3.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
I didn't mind this much in DA:O despite having the same experience with those companions who I hadn't even equipped proper armor. But I hated playing as Ciri in W3.
These are two abosolutely diffrent things.
DA:O gates defending was hard beceause no one told you are gonna do it and could end up without any items. I haven't played W3, but as far as I understand these Ciri quests were part of main quest + they didn't impact gameplay in any way except choices and were "standalone".

Quillon

Arcane
Define "impacting gameplay". W3 forces you to play as Ciri to connect the dots in the story, no real agency in those segments thankfully cos I wouldn't wanna make real choices as another character in the story but there is combat, I didn't sign up for playing as lady of space and time who teleports around, however few those segments were. For DAO, yes it was a surprise and I too got caught unprepared but there is at least a workaround for it: Load earlier save and prepare the party :P

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
It's also why merchants are some of the NPCs I hate the most. They have no personality at all for the most part, and even those who do show some modicum of personality still revert to generic lines when trading.
Looking to protect yourself, or deal some damage?
Are you trying to insult me? This is daylight robbery! Forget it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom