Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
AoD is also on GOG, and it's also a $30 game compared to Torment's $45, and it's been out for nearly two years now compared to Torment's half year.

It did *okay* for a low budget indie game developed by a tiny team. Its numbers don't tell you anything about games with multi-million dollar budgets.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Torment's $45, and it's been out for nearly two years now compared to Torment's half year.
Hang on back the fuck up.

A RPG that takes place in a non-traditional fantasy setting where there are only about a dozen fights and most of your time is spent reading would be considered a higher than usual risk by most investors, yes.
Oh, you were talking about Torment?

Well then, carry on.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
While the Codex Consensus -- and the view of many other players -- is that the combat is terrible, "we can have bad combat because PS:T had bad combat" was definitely not the thought process. The Crisis system was a huge investment of time and resources and was meant to be elaborate, exciting, and strikingly different from normal RPG combat by allowing you to undertake lots of non-combat actions over the course of a prolonged Crisis. It was the opposite of PS:T's "trash" spammy real-time combat. If it went awry, I think it went awry for different reasons (too rare, too long, somewhat unintuitive) from the problems with PS:T (too frequent, too easy), and not because of a lack of resources. As Tolstoy would say, every unhappy combat is unhappy in its own way.

I do think that the view was that combat could be of limited significance because it was insignificant in PS:T, but the approach was to have it be limited but great, not limited and boring. :D

--EDIT--

I'll add that when I first heard of the Crisis system, and read the initial documentation, I thought it would be revolutionary and one of the coolest things in any non-P&P RPG, so it's particularly sad that it would up being worse than RTwP spam in the view of many.

It might not have been "we can have bad combat because PS:T had bad combat" but there was no need to dedicate so much time to combat as fans of PS:T don't play PS:T for the combat. The crisis system might well be an amazing system, therefore if you're going to spend that much effort on it then you might as well make a combat focused game. If the story and general non-combat gameplay and C&C were where the time and energy was fully dedicated then a simple turn-based combat system tagged-on would have, obviously, been far superior to mediocre everything.

You say it yourself "the crysis system was a huge investment of time and resources". Who the fuck would set about making a PS:T sequel and then immediately spend a huge amount of time and effort on a combat system. That's the exact opposite approach to the original game. People weren't backing an improved combat system, they were backing a story-focus cRPG in an unusual universe with lots of non-combat related activity. When these people added to their preferences "can you also please not make the combat shit" they were not saying "please can you also make the combat the focus of your time investment", they were saying "can combat just be regular turn-based D20-like mechanics please".

The crisis system might well be a great idea to build a game around, but probably not a sequel to a game with expectations, probably a whole new IP.

In retrospect, inXile's true calling may be making games with a crowd-pleasing pulp sensibility (Robots and punks in the post-apocalypse! Funny singing goblins and snarky bards!), and their attempt to branch out into more serious fare a predictable flop.

"more serious fare" BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Do you even have any sense of self-perception...

In what way, shape or form would you consider TToN to be more 'serious' fare than: Tyranny, Age of Decadence, Serpents in the Staglands, Underrail or any of the other recent cRPG attempts that all have perfectly respectable reputations on this site? Oh, you meant versus the AAA sales hunting market? In what way is TToN "more serious fare" than... I have no fucking idea what market your imagining TToN was supposed to go for with that comment.

You mean "the public" doesn't like independent derivative cRPGs that try to do things a bit differently? YOU MEAN LIKE UNDERTAIL?

Jesus, you can be a card sometimes.

Tyranny demolishing it in long term sales was the biggest surprise for me. An out-of-nowhere RTwP RPG in an original setting with a frankly pretty bad marketing campaign (I honestly thought it was a campy Overlord type game based on the initial press) has managed to pull 200k sales to date. It was looking close there for a while, but now Tyranny is far, far ahead of Torment's sales. Based on the number of backers it had, it seems like kickstarter was responisible for the lion's share of "owners" for Numenera on steam, too. Absolute trainwreck from a commercial standpoint.

Indeed.

Unfortunately this does not impact just Inxile. TTON flopping means that, apart from extreme indies, there will be nothing risky done in this genre for another decade.

Because TToN was the only cRPG in the last decade to take risks was it? Funny, I don't remember it even taking any risks, all I remember was people gave them millions of dollars and all them needing to do was partially immitate an already existing game. Who the fuck paid them to take these 'risks' in the first place?

Perhaps the lesson will be "don't take risks when people are paying you in advance not to do that" *facepalm*

And then he'll go to the publisher or CEO to ask for funds, he will be denied because "the last one sold crappy", and that will be the end of it.

You'd make a good fantasy writer. Well... maybe not a good one.

A RPG that takes place in a non-traditional fantasy setting where there are only about a dozen fights and most of your time is spent reading would be considered a higher than usual risk by most investors, yes.

No, the risk was taking money in advance on the promise of something which carried expectations and then treating the game's production like an art-house experimental jam. What the game ended up being has fuck all to do with any risks with regard to what the end game turned out like because none of the investors were investing in a game where there's only a dozen combat encounters and just lots of reading, they were investing in a sequel to an existing game. If someone had pitched what the final game looked like via a time machine then it wouldn't have been a matter of taking risks, people who were interested in that product would have invested for that product. *facepalm*

AoD has fewer owners on Steam than Torment...

AoD is also on GOG, and it's also a $30 game compared to Torment's $45, and it's been out for nearly two years now compared to Torment's half year.

It did *okay* for a low budget indie game developed by a tiny team. Its numbers don't tell you anything about games with multi-million dollar budgets.

AoD had less marketing budget.
AoD didn't pay youtubers to shill for it
AoD didn't have Infinitron shilling for it
AoD didn't have $millions from kickstarters
AoD is an entirely new IP
AoD pleased the people it was supposed to please
AoD has less expenses
AoD doesn't get bumped every other day by people trying to cover-up figure out what's been painfully obvious since release.

But yeah, TToN has a larger total number of owners. Because it started with a 100,000 head start, duh.

Last edited:

hogcranker

Novice
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I can't get past the first hour of this game.

It's like they wrote it to be based on the gamer dork reputation of what PS:T is (games are srs art u can do a novel but as a game hurrrr) instead of what it actually is (character-driven pulp fantasy exploring the furthest corners of a crazy setting).

If TToN is a good example of what Numenera content tends to look like I want nothing to do with the setting.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's like they wrote it to be based on the gamer dork reputation of what PS:T is (games are srs art u can do a novel but as a game hurrrr) instead of what it actually is (character-driven pulp fantasy exploring the furthest corners of a crazy setting).

Novels are supposed to have good stories. Many of T:ToN's critics on this forum say that its main flaw is the lack of a strong main storyline, but that it does have many intricate sidequests that explore its crazy setting.

hogcranker

Novice
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I played the first hour, as I said. It was reams of sterile text like something out of one of those Amazon sci-fi novels with titles like "The Nth Coefficient of the Parallax Digidragon"

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
TTON's core narrative problem is combining action-ish main plot with snail pace gameplay. As in, they start you off with a sense of urgency and immediate threat, and follow it up with a world that requires meticulous and slow exploration. If evil monster is after me, why would I go around and spend my time reading descriptions of those strangely shaped pink rocks? Shouldn't I rather find a space shuttle and bolt to another planet or something?

It's so jarring, it kills your suspension of disbelief dead within first 30 minutes. After that there's no going back, you may keep playing, you may even enjoy many of the better written bits, but at the end it feels like you're forcing yourself through it.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
TTON's core narrative problem is combining action-ish main plot with snail place gameplay. As in, they start you off with a sense of urgency and immediate threat, and follow it up with a world that requires meticulous and slow exploration. If evil space monster is after me, why would I go around and read descriptions of those strangely shaped pink rocks?

It's so jarring, it kills your suspension of disbelief dead within first 30 minutes. After that there's no going back, you may keep playing, you may even enjoy many of the better written bits, but at the end it feels like you're forcing yourself through it.
this. I feel like the hook and storyline of most rpgs shoukd be this investigating thing, not some this high stake, time sensitive stuff like a giant death monster / looming threat chasing you.

Some of the best codex loved rpgs have this simole investigating hook where exploration makes sense:

Ps:t - you investigate who you are and why cant u die
Fallout 1/2/new vegas: finding water chip: geck/ the dude who shot you in the head:

Bg2: the guy who tortured you and you friends.

Gothic 1: basically a giant find a way out! Game.

Of course, like all examples, there are exceptions like the recent expedition vikings where the hook is a looming threat, but the exploration context makes sense because you have to search for resources and stuff.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
RPG writers should just give up on longterm urgency altogether because it's either going to result in ludonarrative dissonance or irritation. This is not the genre for urgency (except in short bursts).

Rev

Arcane
AoD has fewer owners on Steam than Torment...
AoD also didn't cost millions of dollars on top of the KS budget and didn't have a team of about 20-30 people working on it.
And Iron Tower was a new software house making its first game ever, while inXile just made WL2 (which sold more than 600k copies on Steam alone) shortly before T:ToN and had some big names working on it as well as a lot of good press by a lot of major sites, unlike AoD.

Fry

Arcane
The fact WL2 sold 600K while T:ToN hovers around 130K fascinates me. Based on name recognition of the games they're based on alone, I would think Torment would do better. I mean, who talks about the original Wasteland? How is it more popular than what is generally acknowledged to be the best CRPG story ever? Is this genuinely a case of bad word-of-mouth steering people away from Torment?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The fact WL2 sold 600K while T:ToN hovers around 130K fascinates me. Based on name recognition of the games they're based on alone, I would think Torment would do better. I mean, who talks about the original Wasteland? How is it more popular than what is generally acknowledged to be the best CRPG story ever? Is this genuinely a case of bad word-of-mouth steering people away from Torment?

Fargo made sure to talk about Fallout every chance he got.

Quillon

Arcane

When I said post apoc. is more popular than fantasy nowadays Codex had disagreed :P InXile has a goldmine that is Wasteland, if they make a good game it would sell better than an equally good fantasy game.

When I said post apoc. is more popular than fantasy nowadays Codex had disagreed :P InXile has a goldmine that is Wasteland, if they make a good game it would sell better than an equally good fantasy game.
This is possible but unlikely, I think. Post apocalyptic fiction seems to be extremely popular in films and young adult fiction, but I doubt there's much overlap between "12-year old Janey who likes those hungry game books" and "anyone who would ever buy a CRPG".

Rev

Arcane
I think it's a combination of inXile screwing up with the fans and getting bad word of mouth for that, the fact that people started to see them as hacks/scam artists when they released a crowdfunding campaign after another without actually releasing the games they already had to make (at one point they made like 4 campaigns and had released only one game), and also Torment had endless delays, its beta/early access was full of problems and wasn't regularly uptaded as other betas/ea and finally its launch was met with good (but not great, and everyone knows an 8 from most sites isn't worth a damn) reviews from the press and lackluster reviews from players on Steam.
Even if everything went right, I don't think it would have sold 1 million copies but maybe it could have reached half of what PoE did instead of being a huge flop.

It's not more popular than fantasy, Skyrim is more popular than Fallout 4, PoE and D:OS are more popular than WL2, and so on.

Quillon

Arcane
It's not more popular than fantasy, Skyrim is more popular than Fallout 4, PoE and D:OS are more popular than WL2, and so on.

They are not equally good games: Fallout 4 is even worse than Skyrim and I don't think that's even true; Fallout 4 sold 10 mil in its first week, Skyrim had sold 2.5 mil I believe and after 4-5 years it was 20 mil and Fallout 4 now should be about 15 or 20 I don't know(makes Fallout 4 more popular than Witcher 3 also). And WL2 is worse than PoE or D:OS.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
It's a real shame it didn't sell anyhow, I'm sure they would have added a lot of stuff. WL2 Directors Cut and Pillars 3.0 are much superior games to what was available in vanilla, but with TTON it seems they decided to cut their losses and there'll be no more development, excluding maybe if some more game breaking bugs appear.

Sizzle

Arcane
Optimizing the combat would help it a great deal (the way it is now is dreadful), but the game would need some sort of complete and total overhaul to be good.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
WL2 Directors Cut and Pillars 3.0 are much superior games to what was available in vanilla, but with TTON it seems they decided to cut their losses and there'll be no more development

That was because the player reception was much worse than either of the two games.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I think it's a combination of inXile screwing up with the fans and getting bad word of mouth for that
They released the game with Zelda and Zero Dawn.

The intro is a disaster.

The narrative premise is boring.

The game was incomplete on release.

The game took too long and they didn't communicate with their fans properly. Result: they just forgot about the Kickstarter.

What else? I'm sure you can increase the list of InXile fuck ups.

Starwars

Arcane
Finished my replay.

My opinion is pretty much the same as it was when I first played it. It's an enjoyable game, with some excellent bits to it, but unfortunately it falters in the area where it's supposed to excel. Namely the main story and the companions. The story is the greates offender, especially the endgame. The whole metaphysical angle just becomes... muddled and amateur-ish really. Especially when comparing it to PS:T which manage to always stay coherent and focused despite the weirdness of its setting. T:ToN ends up reading like fanfiction in parts, especially after you finish up the Bloom.

Still, it's a fun game on its own I think. It has some good quests, it has some good/great writing, it has an interesting, if slightly too fractured, setting and nice atmosphere to it. It feels pretty unique to play. Unfortunately it doesn't live up to the first Torment at all, despite doing some things better.

Oom ended up being a pretty cool companion. Certainly nothing earth-shattering or as memorable as the cast of PS:T but definitely one of the better ones in T:ToN.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I think part of the problem with T:ToN is that the dev team though they were making the best thing ever and didn't do enough introspection as a result.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom