Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates is a phase-based RPG set in flooded Neo-Victorian New York

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Coin Operated Games; Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates

Suddenly, a new challenger appears on the oldschool RPG scene! A New Hampshire studio by the name of Coin Operated Games has announced Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates, an isometric RPG set in an alternate Neo-Victorian (steampunk basically) New York City that has been utterly flooded by rising oceans. Empyre's unique feature is what the developers are calling a "hybrid Real Time/Turn-based System", which seems to be similar to Frozen Synapse's phase-based combat. All of this is explained in the announcement trailer and accompanying press release, which are available on the game's official website:

Auburn, New Hampshire – July 12, 2017 – Coin Operated Games announces today that its upcoming Neo-Victorian RPG Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates, will be coming to Steam players this fall. Currently in development by a team of industry veterans from such influential companies as Crytek, Codemasters, Gameloft and Creative Assembly, Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates is a top-down isometric RPG that takes place in a Neo-Victorian New York circa 1911. The game’s first trailer can be viewed at https://youtu.be/n3324z7aMGs.

water is everywhere but none of it to drink…

Featuring a top-down isometric presentation, Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates will rekindle old-school PC RPG fans with feelings of some of the classic story driven RPGs of the 90s. While the combat should feel familiar to veteran players, there’s a new twist in that the game uses a hybrid Real Time/Turn-based System. Players can enter a “Planning Mode” where they choose actions for each character in their party while combat is paused, and when entering into the “Action Mode” all characters will perform simultaneously, giving players complete control over their party while presenting a streamlined combat system that eliminates waiting for each character to act in sequence.

Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates is the story of an alternate New York in which the entire city is flooded by rising oceans and the citizens must learn to live in a new reality where there is water everywhere, but none of it possible to drink. The player must make their way in search of a fresh water supply source, picking up companions along the journey. But the trip won’t be easy, as there are many threats both human and inhuman that players will encounter.

“One of the things we strove for when designing Empyre is authenticity during an ‘Age of Technical Wonder’ in the United States, the Gilded Age,” said John Randall, Creative Director of Empyre. “For example, the New York City we all know is the city in this game, and history buffs will recognize many iconic locations that existed in the city during the 1910s, but with a unique, waterlogged twist. People and society exist and act as they did in the early 20th Century. We feel this level of detail will give players a one-of-a-kind experience that they haven’t seen anywhere before.”

Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates pays homage to historic accounts by adding authentic items such as patent medicines including poisons or tonics made from dangerous ingredients. Many of the games’ objectives and side quests will tie directly into the experiences that someone in the 19th century would have. The game’s authenticity reflects scenes from New York during the 1900s, while tying the storyline to current day themes such as global warming and the rising of the oceans.

Currently in development by Coin Operated Games, Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates will be available via Steam this fall. More information will be shared in the coming weeks once the waters die down…

For more product information, visit www.empyrethegame.com, on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Empyrethegame-272522026282358/, Twitter at https://twitter.com/EmpyreTheGame #nowatertodrink and on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/user/EmpyreTheGame

That's right, the game is coming out this year. I'm not sure what to think about it right now, but I suppose we'll be learning more about it very soon.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Truly bizarre, not least of which for the fact that 1911 is after the Victorian era. But maybe that's what the Neo does? Also, when talking about the actual Victorian era in the US, I would think "Gilded Age" is more common, and 1911 would fall within the Progressive Era. Also don't understand why people rebuild flooded NYC without first thinking about accessible drinking water, or even how they accomplish that without access to such water. Somehow these are probably not questions the game will answer. Also not wild about getting the Rime line wrong.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Phase-based system is cool if you don't mind trial and error too much. It's p. rewarding when you pull off a complex move.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
art and music are horrible, everything in this game reminds me to Omerta and looks really bad. Hope I'm wrong.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Many of the games’ objectives and side quests will tie directly into the experiences that someone in the 19th century would have. The game’s authenticity reflects scenes from New York during the 1900s, while tying the storyline to current day themes such as global warming and the rising of the oceans.
I missed this in my first pass. Truly, it is a marvel.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Neo Victorian setting. Wow it's the fastest game to kill my interest ever. It takes a fag think of one and a retard to like one. :hero:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
A New Hampshire studio by the name of Coin Operated Games

Looks like development team is located at Hungary (now I see reason of the Incline rating) but CEO is American:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/andrastimargeng/
https://www.linkedin.com/in/péter-kurdi-1191b562/

Designing level layouts in Photoshop, then constructing them in the company's own level editor tool built in Unity. This team had an American CEO (John Randall) and I cooperated with him closely through the six months I spent there, which improved my spoken English to a comfortably fluent level.

(Btw I don't like the name of studio, tricky to look it up.)

Prime Junta

Choo choo motherfuckers. World can always use another steampunk game, it's not like we're flooded with them, and phase-based is nice. Will be keeping an eye on this...

polo

Magister
Animations look like shit, but im kind of interested, maybe just curious.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Whadafuck? They want me to imagine 1911 after Global Warming... to Yakety Sax on keyboard. :lol:

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
If the music is supposed to say anything about the setting, I'd say the game is about some jive brother, on a quest to find himself some nice booty, drinking jive cocktails, while fighting the tyranny of "the Man".

Tigranes

Arcane
Silly MRY everybody knows the 19th century is in the 1900s that's why it's called the 19th century you know

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom