Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates - steampunk RPG set in flooded New York

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.empyrethegame.com

vnA57QN.jpg

OUmihLP.jpg

a17X9le.jpg

Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates Will Rise From The Oceans This Fall

Coin Operated Games announces today that its upcoming Neo-Victorian RPG Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates, will be coming to Steam players this fall. Currently in development by a team of industry veterans from such influential companies as Crytek, Codemasters, Gameloft and Creative Assembly, Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates is a top-down isometric RPG that takes place in a Neo-Victorian New York circa 1911. The game’s first trailer can be viewed at https://youtu.be/n3324z7aMGs.

water is everywhere but none of it to drink…

Featuring a top-down isometric presentation, Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates will rekindle old-school PC RPG fans with feelings of some of the classic story driven RPGs of the 90s. While the combat should feel familiar to veteran players, there’s a new twist in that the game uses a hybrid Real Time/Turn-based System. Players can enter a “Planning Mode” where they choose actions for each character in their party while combat is paused, and when entering into the “Action Mode” all characters will perform simultaneously, giving players complete control over their party while presenting a streamlined combat system that eliminates waiting for each character to act in sequence.

Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates is the story of an alternate New York in which the entire city is flooded by rising oceans and the citizens must learn to live in a new reality where there is water everywhere, but none of it possible to drink. The player must make their way in search of a fresh water supply source, picking up companions along the journey. But the trip won’t be easy, as there are many threats both human and inhuman that players will encounter.

“One of the things we strove for when designing Empyre is authenticity during an ‘Age of Technical Wonder’ in the United States, the Gilded Age,” said John Randall, Creative Director of Empyre. “For example, the New York City we all know is the city in this game, and history buffs will recognize many iconic locations that existed in the city during the 1910s, but with a unique, waterlogged twist. People and society exist and act as they did in the early 20th Century. We feel this level of detail will give players a one-of-a-kind experience that they haven’t seen anywhere before.”

Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates pays homage to historic accounts by adding authentic items such as patent medicines including poisons or tonics made from dangerous ingredients. Many of the games’ objectives and side quests will tie directly into the experiences that someone in the 19th century would have. The game’s authenticity reflects scenes from New York during the 1900s, while tying the storyline to current day themes such as global warming and the rising of the oceans.

Currently in development by Coin Operated Games, Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates will be available via Steam this fall. More information will be shared in the coming weeks once the waters die down…

http://www.empyrethegame.com/

Combat sounds like simultaneous turn-based.

Last edited by a moderator:

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
It is RTwP. RT doesn't matter if it is based on rounds. Simultaneous turns would mean that you always have to pick actions for each character and the computer does the same for the bad guys and then the round plays out. Riddle of Steel and Burning Wheel are examples. If there is RT combat there are no turns, so can not be based on turns. In TB games you take turns in a round, which usually is representative of six or ten seconds of action. No turns means no turn based anything. It is simple logic.

In P&P systems round based systems usually have interesting mechanics build around it, like moving to person X and attacking while he moves to Y and attacks. If he isn't in attack range your action was mainly wasted. But now maybe his back is towards yours so you have a new opportunity, etc. In RT games you attack someone and if he moves you automatically chase him all over until you issue a new direction.

This looks like it could be a good game though. Thank you for the post.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's coming this fall and we're just hearing about it now? Do they mean early access? Even if it's lousy, I'll be very impressed if they actually deliver a real game on that timetable, rather than making us wait through years of promotion. I know keeping mum about your game may not be a great business decision, but don't you wish more studios did this?

Also, doesn't this trailer look a lot like Demiurgos, just in terms of the engine, the art style, the fonts, etc...?

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
You are cordially invited to enter a world of gentlemen with impeccable tastes and ladies of immaculate preconceptions. Lords, both sinister and fair, cutthroats and rogues of every stripe. And more
Sounds like a New Age of Decadence :bounce:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Presentation is so-so, but a phase based system isn't something you see in many games these days.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hey - i am not edgy you faggot, i give it 10% chance of actually not sucking. Setting seems interesting and original enough.

Setting is monocled - yes.

You are fabulously optimistic Comrade; Commissar prefers to expect it to be shit and then to be positively suprised; art style looks :obviously: but RTWP/TB hybrid combat and primitive 3D graphic remind Commissar all those cool looking but unplayable Vata made Akella games.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
The story's premise sounded somewhat familiar, ie. search for water chip supply in post-apoc America. Except the titular "Empyre" and "story driven" mean they're likely gunning for an epic. That doesn't need to be bad of course, but epics often hinge on interesting worlds, and the Gilded Age isn't exactly one I would trust. Here's to meeting low expectations!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.empyrethegame.com/news/release-date-announced

RELEASE DATE & WRITER ANNOUNCED!!!
READY FOR A DIP IN THE CANALS OF NEW YORK CITY?

KA_01_V2.jpg

Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates to Rise onto Steam on October 4

Neo-Victorian RPG from Coin Operated Games Reveals Author/Cartoonist Paul Noth as Story Writer

Auburn, New Hampshire – August 16, 2017 – Coin Operated Games announces today that its upcoming Neo-Victorian RPG Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates, will be coming to PC via Steam starting on October 4, 2017. Developed by a team of industry veterans from such influential companies as Crytek, Creative Assembly, Codemasters and Digital Reality, Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates is a top-down isometric RPG that takes place in an alternate industrial New York circa 1911.

… water is everywhere but none of it to drink…

Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates depicts a troubled New York in which the entire city is flooded by rising oceans and the citizens now face a new threat: the fresh water pipes have stopped and there is no water to drink!

Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates features an original story penned by renowned writer/comic artist Paul Noth, a staff cartoonist for The New Yorker magazine, where his work has appeared regularly since 2004. He created the Emmy-nominated animated series "Pale Force" for Late Night with Conan O’Brien and was animation consultant for Saturday Night Live. He's also developed shows for Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Nickelodeon, and his trilogy of middle-grade novels will be published by Bloomsbury, starting in April of 2018 with “How to Sell Your Family to the Aliens."

“After writing for different media throughout my career, I’m very excited to be working with Coin Operated Games to write their video game script,” said Paul Noth. “The world that has been created in Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates is amazing and truly unique, so I’m thrilled to be able to develop a story set in this new world.”

Although set in a fictional, alternate history, the game pays homage to historic accounts by adding authentic items such as patent medicines including poisons or tonics made from dangerous ingredients. Many of the games’ objectives and side quests will tie directly into the experiences that someone in the 19th century would have. The game’s authenticity reflects scenes from New York circa 1900, while tying the storyline to current day themes such as global warming and the rising of the oceans.

“We are very honored that Paul is working with us on the storyline for Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates,” said John Randall, Creative Director of Empyre. “He is a world class writer, and has been invaluable to us with helping to shape the direction of our games’ signature Neo Victorian story and experience.”

Currently in development by Coin Operated Games, Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates will be available via Steam on October 4, 2017. More information will be shared in the coming weeks once the waters die down…

O_o

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Looks like they added more screenshots, especially combat screenshots: http://www.empyrethegame.com/media

Empyre_%20Lords%20of%20the%20Sea%20Gates%20-%2006.jpg

And they buried some details in their forums.

On combat system: http://www.empyrethegame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9&sid=b6891feeb05a6cbc70ce4932b7dad66b

Swords & Gunplay - A Combat Primer

When you must fight, you can enjoy the benefits of our combat system which gives you fine control over your party members as well as fast moving action. We like to think of it as good for turn based players who like to strategize and tactically maneuver their party members. But also good for real time fans who like to see the combat unfold quickly.

But let’s dig deeper so you can see what we mean.

The Planning Phase:

Here the game is paused. You can select each of your characters and give him or her a command (or multiple sequential commands). Typical commands are attack an enemy or move. Less typical commands include using items, healing comrades or ducking behind cover. If you would like to delay the actions of a particular character, you can even command him to wait until you want him to act.

At the bottom center of the screen, there is an Action Queue. Each box on the queue equals one second of real time. In this Action Queue, you can see the planned actions of each of your party members as well as how long it will take them to complete each action (measured in whole seconds).

The Action Phase:

When you have given all your orders, you can unpause the game and your party members will carry out those orders simultaneously. The enemy will also perform their actions. When you wish to give your party new commands or adjust their existing commands, you only have to pause the game.

So, control over your party members actions, timing your actions to take advantage of a situation... What does it all mean?

It can mean a lot of things as you explore different strategies and come up with your own tricks to beat the enemy. But here are a few examples:

Want to rush a guy with a rifle who is under cover? Have your party member wait (use the wait command) until he is reloading and then rush him.

Want to outflank an enemy but he has you pinned down? Take a quick peek at him and you can bet he’ll start firing away. When he is out of bullets, it’s time to make your move.

Want to save a party member from an axe-wielding madman? Send in a friend to give him a thump on the head. That should get his attention and he’ll turn on you.

Questions?

Why not just call it steampunk? Because its world is not quite punk yet, they say: http://www.empyrethegame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6&sid=b6891feeb05a6cbc70ce4932b7dad66b

To Neo or not to Neo Victorian?

So the first question some of you may ask is why didn’t we just go for “Steampunk” and be done with it? I would never to presume to define what Steampunk really is. I know there is still plenty of heated debate about what it does stand for and I would therefore never claim to be an authority on the subject.

But I would like to share in the roughest sense what it means to us and why we chose “Neo-Victorian” instead.

So with the foreworded apology to all those who define it differently: Steam and Punk to us represents:

Steam: The backbone of society. The power of Steam as a determinant of all aspects of society from public health to transportation to the modes of industry and beyond.

Punk: The counterculture as a byproduct of all the ills of a society that has arisen from heavy industrialization. The pushback against the ruling classes that prosper off of the profits that the machines create, the putrid cities and the foul air choking it’s residents. The forceful march of industrialization both embraced and rebelled against by the oppressed who find a common voice in their fight against the whole of society.

In short, Steampunk is a dystopia filled with the echoes of the anguished.

The world of Empyre is a different world. A younger Steam-driven world. Maybe even a Steampunk world in it’s infancy. There are many similarities. It too chased Steam technology and initially enjoyed a level of prosperity. The wheels of industry turned with new and exciting technologies coming to life.

The inhabitants of Empyre were living in a City of the Future driven by Steam. And that is what made it “Neo-Victorian” (New Victorian). Had the flood never come and upended civilization, Empyre most likely would have progressed from a Golden Steam Age downwards to a Steampunk dystopia. But it never got that far.

The people who live in the city now can still remember that Golden Age and wait for the waters to leave so they can return to that Age. There is hope and anticipation in the residents of the city. They have been spared the hopelessness and despair of a soot and smoke filled world by the oceans themselves.

Maybe it’s best to call it a Broken Utopia rather than an Unsalvageable Dystopia. A Broken Utopia whose needed fix is apparent to all: the receding of the waters and a resumption of the old upward spiral to Greatness.

But it has funk in it: http://www.empyrethegame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5&sid=b6891feeb05a6cbc70ce4932b7dad66b

That 70s Funk Show - Music in a Neo-Victorian World

So I thought I would start things off with a discussion about the music in our game (inspired by reactions to our Announcement trailer - credits to Jeremy Alexander and HardwarUK).

In as few words as possible: Victorian music inspired/updated/infused with a healthy dose of 1970's Funk.

I'd like to take a little time to talk about how we ended up there and welcome any thoughts you guys may have to share with us.

We wanted our Neo-Victorian world to be edgy, exciting and filled with action. As anyone can tell you who has visited New York City, it lives and breathes with a pulse all its own. It has an energy to it: the way people walk, the way they talk and the constant action that swirls around you. When you are there, it always feel like things are happening.

So we went looking for a way to bring that energy to our game and how others had done it. Fallout used the 50's and 60's to co-mingle an age of innocence with a land filled with horrors. And they did it really well.

Just around the corner from the 50's and 60's was an era (1970's) when gangs ruled the streets, when the size of your car (and how much chrome it had on it) was a symbol of status, when rookie cops, rogue cops and ex-cops roamed the streets dispensing their own brand of justice.

That sounded pretty close to the Neo-Victorian ideals we were striving for. In an Age of Steam, you find stupidly over-sized vehicles. And you find those in an Age of Excess (1970's) as well. Soon you find there are countless ways to blend these together to make an interesting and unique world.

Next came the question of how to go about it. The one man who deserves the most credit for helping on this is the one and only Jimmy Smith:

The Hammond Organ (although not invented until 1935) was an instrument that allowed us to bridge the gap from the early 20th century to the 1970's. Organ music was quite common in the Victorian era so we listened to a lot of it when putting together our music for the game.

As to how the music was made, we brought multiple samples of Victorian and Funk songs that we liked to a professional Hammond Organ player. He listened to each sample and then jammed on it to create something unique.

In all, we have about 18 songs. Some are more Victorian, some are more Funky. We hope that everyone who plays finds at least a few that they enjoy listening to.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
RTwP with fixed, forced pausing and unpausing intervals = phase-based. Like Frozen Synapse.

Also WTF, why did they not tweet out that stuff?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
When you wish to give your party new commands or adjust their existing commands, you only have to pause the game.
That's not forced pausing and unpausing intervals.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
RTwP with fixed, forced pausing and unpausing intervals = phase-based. Like Frozen Synapse.

Also WTF, why did they not tweet out that stuff?
This doesn't sound like Frozen Synapse from their wording?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steam page:

Overview

In 1899, the coastal cities of the world flooded. In New York City, most people left. But some didn’t. Those people banded together into groups forming their own City-States. Italian immigrants in Little Italy formed the Mano Nera City-State, the police and government workers became the Tammany City-State and so on.

Determined to survive and even thrive in this hostile environment, they turned to the sea for sustenance. What they could not provide themselves, they traded for with the “Mainlanders”. Fresh water pumped into the city through pipes. One day, the water stops flowing through the pipes. As the city watches it’s water reserves run lower and lower, it is you who will attempt to save them…

Features

• Superb Story: Our game was penned by distinguished author and cartoonist Paul Noth.
  • Neo-Victorian Setting: Steam technology has dominated all technological advances.
  • Authenticity: Many aspects of 19th Century “Gilded Age” New York can be found in-game.
  • Fast Tactics Combat System: Plan your attack in peace and then execute it in Real Time.
  • Art of Barter System: Barter weapons for weapons with traders. No money allowed.
  • Nerve System: Nervous characters will at times fail you. But there are medicines for that.
  • Archetypes: Choose from four different archetypes to find the one that best fits your playstyle.
  • Professions: Characters will have 19th Century Professions that modify their statistics.
  • Customization: Choose your perks and upgrade your skills.
  • Unique Weapons: Weapons are modified to fit a Steam powered world. Or created from scratch.
  • Medicinal Items: Genuine Medical products, many of which contain poisonous substances.
The Game

Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates is a Role-Playing Game in the Classic sense. Our goal was to provide you with the familiar experience of looting, questing, character progression and more just like the old school games did. Aside from the graphical upgrade to the present day, we also wanted to forge our own path in the way we tell stories and the world we create for you.

The 19th Century has a wealth of experiences to draw from that you don’t typically see in most games. That gives us a chance to give you something new. To give a few examples: Successful politicians were those with the largest gang of thugs and control over the Polling Stations. Workers Unions were coming of age around this time with frequent strikes and many times, strikebreakers. In gambling dens, dogs would fight rats. This is a sampling of some of the ideas we worked with in telling our stories.

We also wanted you to feel that our world has a sense of Authenticity. In a flooded, Neo-Victorian version of New York, that sounds a little far-fetched. Yet, we did our research. You will meet real life figures from the era: Monk Eastman, Mock Dock, Silent Charlie Murphy. You will visit real life locations: The Tombs Prison, the Brooklyn Bridge. You will consume real life medicines when your party is in trouble: Goulard’s Extract, Hunt’s Remedy, Shoo-Fly Powder for Drunkenness. That is if you trust Victorian era medicine...

There is #nowatertodrink. Please send help!

Another dev log on the forum, how they "trained" the writer who never played a video game before o_O: http://www.empyrethegame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12&sid=8077e4ebd003a46dbefe39d81def83fa

They introduced the world of games to him with Fallout 2, huh.

How to Train Your "Never Written A Videogame Before" Writer

I’d like to begin by categorically stating that Videogame writers are awesome and have written many adventures over the years that I have thoroughly enjoyed. In this post, I would like to share the very positive experience I had using a writer who was not a videogame writer to provide the script for our game. Perhaps some of you may choose to try this out by bringing someone like that onto your writing team.

Our writer, Paul Noth, had never played a videogame before. I’m not sure if he had ever even seen someone playing a videogame before. He never played PnP Role Playing games growing up. He has only a passing knowledge of the Fantasy (maybe seen a few movies) genre. In other words, he was completely and totally unprepared and unqualified when it came to the task of writing a video game script.

On the other hand, he is very well read, an amazingly talented writer and knows how to deliver an awesome story.

His response when I asked him was enthusiastic. He was always up for new kinds of projects and experiences.

The Training

One evening Paul and I got together and played Fallout 2 for a couple of hours. I showed him how to move his character around, how to interact with beings in the game and most importantly, how story is conveyed in a game environment through dialogues, cutscenes and action. Although there are differences, a video game script is very similar to a movie/TV/play script. So it is not as hard as one would think to show the ropes to a newcomer.

And that was pretty much it.

The Job

A couple of weeks later, we had our game treatment. After we reviewed, edited and finally approved it, Paul wrote all the dialogues, cutscenes etc. for the game.

The Challenges

Not everything worked straight out of the gate. When you work with someone who is inexperienced in the mechanics of game design, you do find yourself having to discuss certain plot points that just can’t happen for one reason or another. So you have to be prepared to do reworks of certain scenes.

Which brings me to...

The Best Moment

My very favorite misstep (which, with the right attitude) is a moment of pure joy. The final climactic moment of the game: The antagonist appears with an army of giant (hundreds of feet tall) robots who shoot electricity out of their heads marching down on the player. With a top down isometric RPG where you could only see the robots kneecaps, this probably would not be the most dramatic of game endings… But I wish it could have worked.

The End Result

What were my impressions?

When you really well understand the structure of quests and side quests in a videogame, the temptation that we all feel is to adhere to that structure at all times and for all things.

For example, find person X who asks you to retrieve object Y for reward Z. Or in Billy Goat Gruff storytelling mode, deal with person A who reveals his stronger boss person B who in fact ends up being employed by person C, the real true mastermind. Or the story within a story within a story style of game writing a la 1001 Nights.

Taking a writer off the street, so to speak, and you get no rats in the basement nor old ladies with missing cats. In a way, because they do not understand how the scripts really work, you get something unexpected out of it. Instead of applying all your knowledge and experience to a script, you have someone who chooses a new path that doesn’t necessarily work but with a bit of bending and twisting, you can fit it into your game and come out with a unique storytelling style.

I’m trying to avoid spoilers in this post so I hope that any of you who found this entertaining, enlightening, interesting will come over and give our game a try to see the end result of an unconventional development decision.

And about their official forum being empty: http://www.empyrethegame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11&sid=8077e4ebd003a46dbefe39d81def83fa

Thank you for your kind words and concern. Please don't worry. We're not worried.

This is pretty much to be expected. There's a flood (forgive the pun) of games out there. Everyone (including us) has a library full of games that they haven't had time to play. Expecting players to not only play the games but sign up for every single forum board for each of them is just not realistic. We even have one forum board with no signup required just because you know it's another username/password for people to store and deal with.

One thing I noticed straight away after our Announcement was that people were talking about our game but mostly in the Comments section of the articles about us. That is good but also not good to have all these fragmented conversations all over the net instead of in one place. PCGamer had a pretty long and interesting Comments section. Some of it was a bit bizarre but there was some really good questions and discussion points in there.

Overall, Forums are a dying breed. We have ours for when people have questions they want answered or problems (bugs) they want help with. So we're intending to use it to stand by and help anybody who needs it. It's the best way to reach out to us if you need us. It's not likely that anyone will need us prior to launch but you never know. Personally, this game is my favorite topic of conversation so I'm excited to talk about it with anyone who comes along.

But, between you and me, I'm really rather hoping our Technical Help forum board remains empty forever. ;)

Going forward, the bigger challenge for us will be maintaining the Facebook/Twitter channels. That is where everyone seems to go to get their news fix.

I'm a bit of an old-school gamer so they're not my favorite places to communicate. But we want to talk to you guys so we're going where you're going.

Well, he could visit here and answer questions about combat, quests, and other systems.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
This is so weird. Fancy websites and press releases, and then no actual content.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The final climactic moment of the game: The antagonist appears with an army of giant (hundreds of feet tall) robots who shoot electricity out of their heads marching down on the player.
If there is a dialogue option, "The 19th century isn't working out like I had hoped!" it'll be my GOTY for sure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom