Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is the closest thing to Betrayal at Krondor?

ralphonzo

Novice
Someone gave me BaK in high school, but it took me another ~15 years to actually play it. I had no nostalgia for it to taint my perspective. I played it entirely on a DS4 like some 13-year-old Steam faggot and it was one of the greatest gaming experiences of my life.

Is any game similar? I can't think of one. I guess I should play Antara at some point, but all I've heard about it has been more or less negative.

Throw me some recommendations. I've probably played most of them, but you may as well give it a shot. I can't just replay BaK since I remember every word of it and am not some autist who replays shit into the ground for no rational reason. It might be a replay candidate after another decade of heavy drinking, but until then, what do I do?

Why hasn't this synergistic combination of chapter-based world state, gently guided free-roaming and use-based skill gain been replicated? Or has it?

Recommendations can be from the '90s to present day--it doesn't have to have 9-polygon siege engines, though that would be a plus.

ralphonzo

Novice
That's what I thought, what I was afraid of hearing, and what I'm hoping we'll be proven wrong about. :(

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Betrayal at E something, the spiritual successor is like it. Not Krondor 2. I think GoG has it.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
There are none, I'm afraid. Perhaps... no, there are none.

Shameless promotion: You might want to check out my game, Call of Saregnar, but it won't be done in another 10 years or so. ;)

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Betrayal at E something, the spiritual successor is like it. Not Krondor 2. I think GoG has it.
It's called Betrayal in Antara and it's not as good. I think they lost the license but wanted to continue making similar games, so they made an indirect sequel. It's fun to explore - the world isn't as charming - but the story isn't good and they don't do anything new or exciting. I guess if you really want more Betrayal at Krondor, it's your closest bet, but it doesn't hold up.

I think it's bundled together with Betrayal at Krondor on GoG, so if you buy one you already have the other.

V_K

Arcane
Is any game similar?
Albion could work, I think. Or its predecessors (Amberstar and Ambermoon), but they're way less story-heavy.
Star Trail possibly.
Why hasn't this synergistic combination of chapter-based world state, gently guided free-roaming and use-based skill gain been replicated? Or has it?
This particular combination reminds me of Quest for Glory, actually, though it's a very different game.

ralphonzo

Novice
There are none, I'm afraid. Perhaps... no, there are none.

Shameless promotion: You might want to check out my game, Call of Saregnar, but it won't be done in another 10 years or so. ;)

Well, considering I followed AoD from announcement to release without thinking it vaporware once, I don't mind waiting for your game. :P

Albion is a good recommendation--haven't played it but have always meant to. What I described did sound a lot like QFG. Good series but like you said, very different.

pippin

It's called Betrayal in Antara and it's not as good. I think they lost the license but wanted to continue making similar games, so they made an indirect sequel. It's fun to explore - the world isn't as charming - but the story isn't good and they don't do anything new or exciting. I guess if you really want more Betrayal at Krondor, it's your closest bet, but it doesn't hold up.

I think it's bundled together with Betrayal at Krondor on GoG, so if you buy one you already have the other.

I think it's helpful to point out that the GOG version is said to have a handful of game breaking bugs because they ported the gae cds without realizing there were files which were overwrtten because they had the same name. Posts reporting bugs ate to 2014, and nobody has bothered to make an updated report, so it's safe to assume the bugs are still in the gog version and the steam one too.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
What about Return to Krondor? Is it even worth a glance, or is it crap?

deama

Prophet

I think it's helpful to point out that the GOG version is said to have a handful of game breaking bugs because they ported the gae cds without realizing there were files which were overwrtten because they had the same name. Posts reporting bugs ate to 2014, and nobody has bothered to make an updated report, so it's safe to assume the bugs are still in the gog version and the steam one too.
So where are you supposed to get the good version? Anyone decent selling them or just hunt on ebay?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

So where are you supposed to get the good version? Anyone decent selling them or just hunt on ebay?
old games ru has it in its inventory.

Telengard

Arcane
Antara falls back on basic Fantasy storytelling grind, mucks about with the combat in ways that end up being a net negative, and annoys you with having you fight endless waves of bandits wearing plate mail (of all things). But it does have the same basic setup and game design.

Return to Krondor has all the proper characters, but a poor decision to move to 3D (you have to see it to believe it), a dumb Feist plot, and mucks about with the combat in an entirely different way that still leads to a net negative. But if you're looking for a poor's man's sequel, there you are.

The only remotely worthy successor is the heavily unfinished Anachronox, and even that won't do you quite right. Still, it's the closest that anyone's come.

Realms of Arkania has the wilderness survival aspect (magnified 10x) and it also has tactical combat, but the fan crossovers to that series come more from the Gold Box games rather than BaK.

groundhog

Educated
What about Return to Krondor? Is it even worth a glance, or is it crap?

It's nowhere near as good as Betrayal but I thought it was OK. It's more than 5 years since I played it, but here's a summary of what I remember:

Pluses:
+ Decent turn-based combat that provided some challenge
+ Interesting story
+ Good variety of locations and for an early 3D game I don't think it looks bad
+ Doesn't overstay its welcome

Minuses:
- Game is very linear and railroaded after the first chapter
- Chapters get shorter and shorter and the ending feels rushed (it's not a long game)
- 'Cinematic' camera (viewpoint keeps changing) can make movement disorientating, especially in the first chapter in the city
- Alchemy is basically a total waste of time (but IMO that's probably true for 99% of the RPGs it appears in)

Well, those are my slightly hazy memories, but overall I enjoyed the game enough to complete it.

mondblut

Arcane
Gameplay-wise Antara is pretty much a carbon copy, but world-building, story and characters are BSB.

RTK can be a fun romp, but half the chapters is just one protracted battle each.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Go Play original Realms of Arkania trilogy, all titles are both on GOG and STEAM and they are still one of best party based crpgs to this day.
Complex and fun party management, balanced and not so often fights, unique retro setting.
It's worth to mention first two games have remakes [second Startrail is on early access on Steam ] , first remake Blade of Destiny was crappy at release but now after many patches its really good.
Some similar feeling have Ishar Trilogy [on GoG] , or quite different but also nice Drakensang 2 with river of time addon.
You can still go extreme retro and play Darklands.

ralphonzo

Novice
I forgot about Realms of Arkania which I've never played somehow. On the to-play list it goes.

Darklands is a thread I could make a similar topic about, "Why has no one successfully replicated this game?" :P At least Serpent in the Staglands tried. It's too bad about the expansion (if it ever arrives) going lame cookie-cutter Unity isometric.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom