Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pathfinder: Kingmaker Kickstarter Update #34: Funded, Goblin Companion Unlocked

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Alexander Mishulin; Alexey Drobyshevsky; Oleg Shpilchevsky; Owlcat Games; Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Just a few days ago some people were sure the Pathfinder: Kingmaker Kickstarter campaign wouldn't reach $800k of funding. Well, the campaign concluded last night with a total of $918,313 including PayPal. Chris Avellone's goblin companion is in. Owlcat's celebratory Kickstarter update explains what'll happens next:

After 35 days of the most intensive ride in our life, 18,508 backers (157 from backer portal), over 4,000 comments, and a final total of $918,313 (plus $9,256 from PayPal), the Kickstarter campaign for Pathfinder: Kingmaker has come to an end!

Simply saying that we are grateful would me a massive understatement. We're not gonna lie - of course preparing for our campaign felt exciting, but the very idea can also be rather scary! You can never be completely sure whether or not people will like your idea. Will people be as passionate about a Pathfinder cRPG as we are? Will we have enough time and reach to gain credibility? All these concerns made us very nervous. When we clicked the "Publish" button on Kickstarter it was a leap of faith.

You filled us with a new level of motivation. Every single day of the Kickstarter campaign your enthusiasm and support has reassured us and given us hope. You have eradicated all doubt - we know for sure that our ideas are appreciated. It's like learning that you are not alone in the universe. :)

And all your comments and feedback - we feel extremely excited to read and collaborate on what you share with us. That was one of the main dreams of the entire campaign - to bring the future community of fans into the heart of the development process.

By any measure, you helped us exceed our expectations and we are grateful beyond limits to you for you present us with chance to spend a magic year developing the game we dreamed of!

What's Next?

Now comes the best part - we have to complete the game! We had a strong vision, an experienced team and great support from Paizo. Now with your endorsement, the last part of the puzzle is put in place. We feel a lot of responsibility to both deliver on our vision and satisfy your expectations. That won't be easy but with your help we believe nothing can stop us.
Some of you asked if there will be any delays to our planned release, now that we've knocked out all those stretch goals. Fear not! We are going to involve some new people in the coming months to be able to implement new features and content and and do the best to keep the deadline intact.

Alpha tests

We will strive to start alpha tests as soon as possible. As inevitably as Fall comes, those of you who have access to the alpha test stage will receive an invitation to share your thoughts with us about our early version. If you're a Mac or Linux player, please understand what there won't be enough time to release an alpha client for your version.

Backer portal

For those of you how wanted to support us, but didn't have a chance, we will also continue to raise money on our own portal. Right now not all tiers are represented - we are going to complete our tier list and add limited tiers on the portal in several days after the Kickstarter campaign will be over. Our preorder page accepts PayPal and other means of payment. We will continue to add new stretch goals as we can. Please be aware that reward prices will be changed after the Kickstarter campaign ends.

Pretty soon all backers will be able to manage their pledges on our portal. You will get an e-mail with a link to the Pathfinder: Kingmaker backer portal and all required instructions. On the site, you will be able to confirm your pledge and customize your options, like shirt sizes, for any reward you have chosen.

Of course, we will continue to openly post about development, as we do during the campaign. And if you want to stay informed, please follow our: Facebook page, Twitter and YouTube channel.

As I said yesterday, this was definitely a content-dense campaign, and it's hard to fault it even if it didn't blow up as much as other crowdfunding campaigns have. Owlcat even lined up another stretch goal for $1.1M an hour before the campaign ended, to expand the game's lawful evil Hellknights faction. It makes me wonder what they would have added if the campaign had broken into the millions of dollars. I don't know if there's any chance of reaching that goal with post-campaign PayPal funding, but the $1M new race stretch goal might still be a possibility. You can help Owlcat reach it by contributing to our fundraiser, which is now apparently the cheapest place on the Internet to acquire a copy of Kingmaker. Tell all your friends about it!

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
That's okay, PoE/Numanuma raised millions yet turned out shit.

Smaller budget sometimes means a better game.

The Creative Director was once one of the bosses of Nival Interactive, who made Heroes 5. That was a good game, so I think this turns out all right. It's more about managing the budget (compare Broken Age and Original Sin. Original Sin had half a million more, but turned out good, while Broken Age had four millions and was shit ... four millions for an adventure! You could have a dozen games with that budget! Sorry ... rand over) and they do get more money from the publisher, don't they?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The Creative Director was once one of the bosses of Nival Interactive, who made Heroes 5. That was a good game, so I think this turns out all right.

No worries. Kingmaker will surely trump the likes of PoE, Tranny and Numanuma.

Mainly because it employs a functional ruleset and not deranged, anti-fun rubbish based on accessibility.

It's more about managing the budget (compare Broken Age and Original Sin. Original Sin had half a million more, but turned out good, while Broken Age had four millions and was shit ...

That's what I meant. They'll be more efficient with a smaller budget.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Original Sin had half a million more, but turned out good

Are there still people who don't realize the D:OS and D:OS 2 Kickstarters were basically marketing campaigns? The game's budget was much larger than what they raised on Kickstarter.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Are there still people who don't realize the D:OS and D:OS 2 Kickstarters were basically marketing campaigns? The game's budget was much larger than what they raised on Kickstarter.
And this is true of this KS as well. We don't know how much they spent making what they got now but it seems they got the engine, combat, UI and a lot more basically done already. Pretty sure they already spent more than what they got on KS.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

And this is true of this KS as well. We don't know how much they spent making what they got now but it seems they got the engine, combat, UI and a lot more basically done already. Pretty sure they already spent more than what they got on KS.

Maybe or maybe not, gamedev in Russia is cheap.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Maybe or maybe not, gamedev in Russia is cheap.
Cheaper but not cheap. Wherever you are, developers are paid at least 2x than average pay. And by the team pictures, there is a lot of them.

PrettyDeadman

Cheaper but not cheap. Wherever you are, developers are paid at least 2x than average pay. And by the team pictures, there is a lot of them.
And those are probably just the most photogenic developers. How many more were deemed too creepy to pose on team photo?

ArchAngel

Arcane
And those are probably just the most photogenic developers. How many more were deemed too creepy to pose on team photo?
I am talking about this one:
0b2dda33c072d5e120fbdc50aa1c3983_original.gif

PatataFamilia

Novice
Considering that the team came to kickstarter with a very polished effort, and has a Russian publisher's logo on their home page, Kickstarter will probably not be providing the majority of funds for the game. When you listen to the funding video and read the backer page, their focus on getting the money was not to make the game, it was about using it to build more content. In this respect, there's a good chance that they will be more successful than Pillars, not because they have less money, but because they have much more.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected

I didn't wrote that. I wrote that Original Sin had half a million in budget, not that they got every cent from Kickstarter. I don't know if Broken Age got another million, which would be depressing enough.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think they are going to make an at least decent game, but it is undeniable that the bland aesthetics of the game cost them some hundred thousands of crowdfunding money.

Still waiting for the post-KS to get the 1.000.000 stretch.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom