Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Does Ocarina of Time get better?

• Thread starter Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal
  • Start date

Alex

Arcane
Been years since I played it, but as a big fan of the SNES' Link to The Past I couldn't wait to get my hands on it originally. Was hugely disappointed, and found it very slow, dull, and nowhere near having the depth/challenge/layers of it's Snes predecessor.
Would have to play it again to pinpoint why, but to this day don't guess why folk rated it so highly.

It has been a while for me as well. I remember the game getting pretty good after you got the hookshot, although I thought its items weren't as varied as the one on SNES.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I will disgrace myself further and say that I am not a huge fan of A Link to the Past. I loved NES Zelda and played it for months. I likewise loved the NES incarnations of Super Mario Bros. When I eventually got a SNES, I got ALTTP and SMW. I spent almost an endless child's summer playing SMW and exploring all its secrets. ALLTP I beat in three days, tinkered a little more, and then never came back to it. I think SMW does secrets much better -- something about the way it unlocks content, rather than power-ups, and also the ease with which you can travel around the world map. When playing Zelda as an adult, I realized it is actually a smaller game than ALLTP, but when I played it as a kid, it took me way, way more work to beat than ALLTP (probably the difference between a 9 year old and an 14 year old, but also I think ALLTP is just an overall easier game). I put ALLPT in the same category as Super Contra: really cool and gratifying, but not expanding the staying power of the NES version.

Beastro

Arcane
I played the game long after its release (on a Gamecube, long after the Gamecube's release -- I think circa 2010) and while I found parts of it endearing, I finally quit at a segment that involved walking across ropes where the entire challenge arose from the intersection of bad camera angle and sloppy controls. Literally, all you were doing was walking in a straight (albeit diagonal) line. Even then, I had a pretty low threshold for games that generate challenge based on engine shortcomings, and I'm sure I would find it intolerable now.

Did you do it slowly lightly pressing on the stick or tried to to run full on? Especially on those ropes there's no rush, just go as slowly as you want and keep focusing on realigning.

What if I told you...it could have been first person 3D platforming ?

tumblr_mcb5a8cphL1rw70wfo1_500.png

Based Koizumi.

:shredder:

I bet that's the main reason for most, if not all OTS games.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
There is a near certainty that I got impatient with microadjustments and rushed it, repeatedly, and then quit in frustration.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
OoT always felt like a bad 3D version of LttP.

Majora's Mask was the first good 3D Zelda game.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
lol playing Ocarina of Time in 20 fuckin' 17

but yeah, it was p revolutionary back in the day, it had a continuous world + horse riding + time travel waaaaay before Oblivion and other modern action adventure games/RPGs

Perkel

Arcane
As someone who hated 2D ones and never played 3D ones i finished last year OOT on 3DS and i must say i am impressed. I mean games wasn't particularly mindblowing or anything but after timeskip it kept me solid to 3DS until i finished it.

I think fun factor here is simply whimsical structure of game coupled with something new around every corner when you progress. Those "aha" moments even from simple things are not something you can wash away with time.

Never played on released but from my experience in 2016 it must have been mindblowing game back then.

After you finish OOT you dive straight into Majora Mask (literally direct sequel to OOT) and they you will realize how fucking cool that game is.
I bought Wii for cheap last year to play Twilight Princess but i was stopped by No more heroes1/2 and i completely forgot about TP.

I think what game gives you is "the journey".

oh that fucking lost wood tune is fucking addicting as hell.

Athelas

Arcane
lol playing Ocarina of Time in 20 fuckin' 17

but yeah, it was p revolutionary back in the day, it had a continuous world + horse riding + time travel waaaaay before Oblivion and other modern action adventure games/RPGs
Oblivion? Daggerfall came out more than two years before Ocarina of Time and had those features.

From what I remember, Ocarina of Time was basically A Link to the Past in 3D form (time travel being its version of the dark world). Which is both a good and a bad thing. The good thing is that it has similar variety in unique dungeons. The bad thing is that it's a 3D game...designed with the same sensibilities as a 2D game. Stuff like not being able to jump (outside of contextual actions) and the levels being split into these small, self-contained challenge rooms works much better for a top-down 2D game, but is just kind of boring in a third-person 3D game.

The text dialogue that crawled at a snail's pace was by far the most annoying part of the game.

The Deku Tree is like the Statue of Liberty in Deus Ex. It's here to teach you about the basic mechanics, but it's actually the worse part of the game.
Liberty Island is the polar opposite of OoT's beginning areas. Unlike OoT, Deus Ex has an optional tutorial that's separate from the main game.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
Been years since I played it, but as a big fan of the SNES' Link to The Past I couldn't wait to get my hands on it originally. Was hugely disappointed, and found it very slow, dull, and nowhere near having the depth/challenge/layers of it's Snes predecessor.
Would have to play it again to pinpoint why, probably includes some of the reasons Alex has posted, but to this day I don't get why folk rated it so highly.

That's basically the experience I had with it as a teenager too. Absolutely loved Link to the Past, then Ocarina was this ugly, unfun, hard-to-control mess. The N64 in general was a flaming disappointment pile after the SNES. The only bright spot was Goldeneye.

pippin

The N64 in general was a flaming disappointment pile after the SNES.

Yes,

The only bright spot was Goldeneye.

No. I'd accept Star Fox 64 or Mario Kart 64 as an answer, but Goldeneye was as shit as it is today, one of the worst console shooters ever. And that's considering the Doom SNES port. Ironically, Doom 64 is quite charming, But Goldeneye was never good. If you think so, you're just following the marketing propaganda.

Zeriel

Arcane
No. I'd accept Star Fox 64 or Mario Kart 64 as an answer, but Goldeneye was as shit as it is today, one of the worst console shooters ever. And that's considering the Doom SNES port. Ironically, Doom 64 is quite charming, But Goldeneye was never good. If you think so, you're just following the marketing propaganda.

That's interesting. I could have sworn I played it back in the 90's on a rented N64 having never fucking heard of it before (I actually watched the movie AFTER the game), and enjoyed it for the game it was, but I'm sure it was just that "marketing propaganda". Gosh, I feel like a retard now.

Falksi

Arcane
That's basically the experience I had with it as a teenager too. Absolutely loved Link to the Past, then Ocarina was this ugly, unfun, hard-to-control mess. The N64 in general was a flaming disappointment pile after the SNES. The only bright spot was Goldeneye.

Boom, nail on the head. Goldeneye was worth the upgrade, but Ocarina and Mario 64 etc. were shite, cumbersome, devolved forms of their predecessors, forcing 3D into the mix just for the sake of it.

pippin

I actually played GE multiplayer a lot, actually. That game must be the actual definition of nostalgia goggles imo.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
I actually played GE multiplayer a lot, actually. That game must be the actual definition of nostalgia goggles imo.

Name me another FPS game you could play with 4 people jammed in front of 1 screen (obviously barring games that followed/borrowed/refined like turok, perfect dark etc.) ? Shit was amazing for it's time. Pretty sure "great for it's time" doesn't qualify as nostalgia.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
No, people hold it in such high regard because of nostalgia and if you're playing it for the first time now there's nothing for you there.

I think this is bullshit; I absolute disliked the game and considered it overrated; played many more Zelda games, grew ten years older, and when I then played it again I was absolutely floored at how well the game is designed and how incredible the design especially of the first three dungeons is; head and shoulders above many newer Zelda games, and games in general. A well-deserved classic that holds up.

As to OP, if you don't like the first dungeon, just cut your losses.

Also, it holds up for different reasons from LTTP, which is also very good, perhaps better. But they're very different, too, so maybe give LTTP a try? It aged better in its graphics (good sprites instead of early 3D)

hackncrazy

Savant
Compared to what came after, Ocarina of Time is REALLY good. It doesn't have the 10 hour long dragged shitty intro that Twilight Princess does, nor does it hold your hand that much like Skyward Sword.

That being said, as others said, the game is a step back from what ALTTP did. Is pretty much a remake from ALTTP in a 3d world, but since I hate the way they implement battles in 3d zeldas (which aren't even close as fun and challenging as the 3d ones).

I really hope that BOTW is the wake up call that Nintendo needs to realize that not all of its playerbase is composed of imbeciles and they go on just fine without the amount of handholding that latest Mario and Zeldas had.

boot

Prophet
I'm sure you know your game best of all, but my recollection was that it was stuff like this:
Goron_City.png

That said, it's certainly true that I've never particularly liked 3D platforming, even back in Landstalker days it exasperated me to no end.

I gave you too much credit... you stopped only a few hours in :decline:. And that's not a diagonal, it's a straight rope.:mrfussy: the game is hardly filled with tight rope sections, I can only think of 3, and 2 have already been named.

In other places it is trendy to write off any fondness for Ocarina of Time as nostalgia, or the fact that it was an early 3D game and came at the 'right time'. These people are broken, fundamentally. If you don't get it, you don't get it, but-

It is a genuinely good game, and the pacing of it really is superb. The longer you stick with it the better it gets, all the way to the end. There are no breaks.

And it does everything well. Anything you could say against it would end up sounding very lame, nitpicky at best. The worst thing about it would be that it's easy, 2D Zelda's are on a completely different level and it could put you off I guess, but it's a fine adventure all the same. Hard to explain, but maybe if you pick it back up and play you'll stop and think, "I'm in the center of a volcano smashing a dragon with an oversized hammer to rescue my gay brother" and you'll get it.

I also think the game is very strong thematically. I may be overthinking it, but the "boy without a fairy" who stays locked away until it is time to save the world sounds a lot like NEETs without purpose who must one day leave their rooms, or something, but this may be some kind of psychosis manifesting itself. Thematically strong though. I'm sure of it. Just listen to the soundtrack.

Remember that "what makes a good villain thread?" Ganondorf hits about every point in this iteration.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
I gave you too much credit... you stopped only a few hours in :decline:. And that's not a diagonal, it's a straight rope.:mrfussy: the game is hardly filled with tight rope sections, I can only think of 3, and 2 have already been named.

In other places it is trendy to write off any fondness for Ocarina of Time as nostalgia, or the fact that it was an early 3D game and came at the 'right time'. These people are broken, fundamentally. If you don't get it, you don't get it, but-

It is a genuinely good game, and the pacing of it really is superb. The longer you stick with it the better it gets, all the way to the end. There are no breaks.

And it does everything well. Anything you could say against it would end up sounding very lame, nitpicky at best. The worst thing about it would be that it's easy, 2D Zelda's are on a completely different level and it could put you off I guess, but it's a fine adventure all the same. Hard to explain, but maybe if you pick it back up and play you'll stop and think, "I'm in the center of a volcano smashing a dragon with an oversized hammer to rescue my gay brother" and you'll get it.

I also think the game is very strong thematically. I may be overthinking it, but the "boy without a fairy" who stays locked away until it is time to save the world sounds a lot like NEETs without purpose who must one day leave their rooms, or something, but this may be some kind of psychosis manifesting itself. Thematically strong though. I'm sure of it. Just listen to the soundtrack.

Remember that "what makes a good villain thread?" Ganondorf hits about every point in this iteration.

Interesting what you say about pacing. Personally I found it play very slow, especially in contrast with the "bouncy", faster paced LTTP on SNES.
Difficulty was a big issue for ne though. I rarely felt challenged, and most puzzles seemed to play themselves. Whereas LTTP had me scratching my head many times, and also the odd skill-based rage too.
Ocarina felt really watered down after LTTP.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Ocarina felt really watered down after LTTP.
This is the opposite of how I felt. A Link to The Past is a simpler game in basically every measurable way. If the puzzles seemed tougher, it must have been a product of being younger when you played ALTTP. I played it after having finished Ocarina and Majora and everything seemed pretty obvious, especially compared to MM.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom