Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum High Resolution Patch Version 1.5 Release

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
So what has changed that it suddenly worked? Did it suffice to install Wine 2.11 or did you do something else? Melcar

Edit:
ugXqG1N.jpg

Last edited:

Melcar

Arcane
So what has changed that it suddenly worked? Did it suffice to install Wine 2.11 or did you do something else? Melcar

Don't know really. Only thing I can think of is the recent update to 2.11 that just hit my system. Other than that everything is the same. The problem was Wine giving out errors during the patching process.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
I can't get this to run above 1920 x 1080 windowed on Windows 7 64-bit. Fullscreen crashes and 2560 x 1440 seems a lost cause. I've used all compatibility settings and I've tweaked the main settings in config.ini
What do you mean "fullscreen crashes"? What resolution?

The windowed mode is using old, commented out Troika's code, so it's a bit quirky. I'd just go with fullscreen, it works fine with the wrapper, you can Alt + Tab and everything.

Rhamnetin

Barely Literate
I can't get this to run above 1920 x 1080 windowed on Windows 7 64-bit. Fullscreen crashes and 2560 x 1440 seems a lost cause. I've used all compatibility settings and I've tweaked the main settings in config.ini
What do you mean "fullscreen crashes"? What resolution?

The windowed mode is using old, commented out Troika's code, so it's a bit quirky. I'd just go with fullscreen, it works fine with the wrapper, you can Alt + Tab and everything.

At both 1920 x 1080 and 2560 x 1440 fullscreen mode, the game crashes before making it to the splash screens (or before making it to the main menu if I set the splash screens to skip). This also happens at 2560 x 1440 windowed, but 1920 x 1080 works fine. I'll try a different GPU driver and see if that changes anything.

Rhamnetin

Barely Literate
It crashed for me after choosing resolution higher then your current desktop one. If you rise both it will be fine. Is it the case?

Nope, 2560 x 1440 is my desktop resolution. 1920 x 1080 is below it.

Black Angel

Arcane
My game became laggy even on main menu after installing this. Initially I didn't have DDrawWrapper installed, but since I'm on Win 8.1, I re-configured it to be installed, re-apply the install.bat, then tried to launch the game. Now it didn't even want to launch. Pls halp

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
My game became laggy even on main menu after installing this. Initially I didn't have DDrawWrapper installed, but since I'm on Win 8.1, I re-configured it to be installed, re-apply the install.bat, then tried to launch the game. Now it didn't even want to launch. Pls halp
Windowed or fullscreen?

Regardless, try setting the renderer to software and using this wrapper.

mewt

Novice
I just picked this game up on GOG. Thank you for the work you've done to keep this game alive for the modern times.

mewt

Novice
  1. Install the unofficial patch, it doesn't matter if you choose any of the extra options or not.
  2. Install the HQ Townmaps and HQ Music packs (MP3 or Lossless (WAV + WAV Patch)).
  3. Install the universal level cap remover if you want.
None of those links work for me on Firefox or Internet Explorer. It goes to the page and no download is available. The only thing I have successfully downloaded was the high resolution patch from this thread.

edit: I found an alternative link for the unofficial patch(http://koti.mbnet.fi/ton_hur/files/Arcanum/UAP091225.exe). Still searching for townmaps/music.

Last edited:

mewt

Novice

Black Angel

Arcane
Windowed or fullscreen?

Regardless, try setting the renderer to software and using this wrapper.
Fullscreen.

Tried using that wrapper and now the game launched but won't even get to the intro (it stays black screen). Perhaps I installed that wrapper wrong.

Or maybe I just need to re-install the whole game instead because maybe I fucked up somewhere....

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Doesn't work here. Tried fullscreen/windowed, with and without wrapper. There is either a huge black stuttering/tearing, or a black screen after the splash screens.
Windows 10.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Doesn't work here. Tried fullscreen/windowed, with and without wrapper. There is either a huge black stuttering/tearing, or a black screen after the splash screens.
Windows 10.
Did you have a fresh Arcanum install? I've tested it on Win 10 (1366x768, Geforce card) and everything works fine. If all fails you can always install Win XP on a Virtual Machine (I recommend VMware Workstation player over Oracle VM). Or install Lubuntu/Mint (I've tested it on Lubuntu, Melcar on Kubuntu).

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Windows 10.
Did you have a fresh Arcanum install? I've tested it on Win 10 (1366x768, Geforce card) and everything works fine. If all fails you can always install Win XP on a Virtual Machine (I recommend VMware Workstation player over Oracle VM). Or install Lubuntu/Mint (I've tested it on Lubuntu, Melcar on Kubuntu).
Yes, fresh GOG version. My resolution might be the issue - it's a large 2560*1440. I'll try to apply UAP as lukaszek suggested.
Update: nope, the main menu is still not showing.

Last edited:
The good news is, your patch isn't at fault. The fresh, vanilla GOG version won't work. Neither will the vanilla+UAP version.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
The good news is, your patch isn't at fault. The fresh, vanilla GOG version won't work. Neither will the vanilla+UAP version.
You sure you're doing it right? Post your config.ini here.

This new version's been tested on vanilla/Steam/GOG versions of the game running on Windows 7/8/10, all the way up to the 4K resolution (where it started crashing in Tarant, probably too many objects on screen for the engine to handle).

If it doesn't run at all, usually it's because the resolution you set it to isn't supported on your system.

Black Angel

Arcane
So I got rid of my previous install of Arcanum + whatever mods I used before. Got freshly installed game straight outta GOG Galaxy client, then I follow the installation guide for the mods from Drog's page in Terra-Arcanum. UAP, HQ Townmaps, Lossless OST + patch, and then finally the HighRes 1.5 patch. This time, without wrapper installed + renderer set to hardware in config.ini, the game doesn't lag as bad as before, but still with shitty FPS. So I re-install the HighRes patch this time with wrapper installed, if with wrapper installed + renderer set to hardware, the game will crash. If the renderer set to software with wrapper installed, it's back to that black screen after launch but no intro cinematic, no sound, nothing. Just black screen. Pls halp.

Maybe it's time to use that ie-wrapper, but I'm not sure how to install it. Do I place it in Arcanum directory and run it from there, or?

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Maybe it's time to use that ie-wrapper, but I'm not sure how to install it. Do I place it in Arcanum directory and run it from there, or?
Just copy the DLL to the same folder as Arcanum.exe, overwriting the existing files.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom