Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Obscure indies that deserve more attention - Updated Jan. 2020

V_K

Arcane
I think I tried to play Hollow but my PC refused to run it.

Don Peste

Arcane
bbQzq%2F.png

Super Dungeon Master: Quest for the Firestaff - A free Dungeon Master remake in RGMaker VX Ace

You were not the chosen one.

No prophecy foresaw the unleashed chaos and many died.
You are a ghost, a lost soul wrought from your body.
And yet, the man who captured your soul saved your life too - as you too will soon save others.

Many years ago, the lands turned dark around Mount Anaias as a maestrom of chaos was summoned there; towns were destroyed, cities were besieged and chaos ruled the land.
Many were called to defeat this terrible evil as an enraged beast-army rampaged the lands. Champions arrived with powerful weapons, magickal artefacts, chosen prophets, powerful charms, big axes, tiny time prisms, a dragon companion, even working close enough to Lord Chaos so as to betray them - they all failed.
For years after, there was nothing but desolation as the kingdom collapsed and the people and beasts disbanded into tribes.

You are Theron, student to the departed Grey Lord. At the time of the cataclysm, the Grey Lord protected your soul, even though he could not save your body. Only now has he been able to approach you and offer you the power to embark on an epic quest.
Granted with the power to raise four lost champions, your assembled team must find the fabled Firestaff deep inside the Dungeons of Mount Anaias to defeat Lord Chaos. On the way, you will learn as much of the Champions as you will of the Dungeon Master.

Seek balance. Bring the world back to life. Win.

yjmmeC.png
hfLqVa.png

Features:
- all 14 levels of the original 1987 classic dungeon-crawler
- many secret areas and hidden levels!
- incredible soundtrack from many contemporary game musicians
- all 24 original characters from the Dungeon Master game
- 7 additional brand new playable characters
- all new artwork, replicating the original game-world
- tutorial to showcase all features
- 9 extra quests to discover atop Oracle Mountain!
- detailed world-map illustrating origin of champions
- original backstories to all original game characters
- discover the secret of Lord Chaos
- ...why did the beasts join Lord Chaos?
- ...why didn't Lord Chaos have the Firestaff?
- ...why is Gothmog so mysterious?
- ...and why is Tiggy so outrageous?

Learn all the secrets to know all the answers...

Beat it once in three hours, become Dungeon Master in a week.

aOQ6%2FK.png
xCAd5T.png
Alternate download site

Video walkthrough

Dungeon Master site

Download
Super Dungeon Master:QftF v1.02 - requires RPGMaker to play
(158 MB)
Super Dungeon Master:QftF - v1.02 standalone version (352 MB)

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
A free Dungeon Master remake in RGMaker VX Ace

This looks pretty awesome but is there no way to create my own characters, or at least a character? Or is it just like the other DM games where you can only pick premade characters which is dumb and stupid and an even stronger word I can't think of without it being too dramatic. But there is an appropriate word. I'm sure of it.

I am all for supporting indie devs, but only when they support rpgs, and that means at least letting me make one character so I can at least pretend it is a rpg.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Weaves of Fate, "a unique and epic blend of isometric role playing and tactical strategy" set in the far future:

ss_3c117fe64020db95afea1d84e35c860f55f947a7.600x338.jpg

ss_7614e561f5cad3458fb20bc601c481e15cbeabe4.600x338.jpg

Weaves of Fate is a unique and epic blend of isometric role playing and tactical strategy. In the far future, a demonic invasion throughout all of time has been triggered as a result of humanity’s actions. With the timeline shattered and paradoxes cropping up, the game follows multiple characters in different time periods as they deal with the resulting challenges and conflicts. As fate’s weaves fall apart and the timeline fractures, the incarnations of reality decide to intervene. To preserve fate and destiny, Death himself must become mortal and enter the human realm to fix things.

Key Features
- Level-up system: Make your heroes more powerful by upgrading their stats or unlocking new abilities and spells for them to use in battle.
- Replayability: Replay levels for a better rating and extra upgrade points to spend on making heroes more powerful.
- Powerful abilities: Teleport your character around the battlefield and obliterate enemies with powerful spells.
- Deep and engaging story, spanning across multiple characters and time periods.

Looks interesting.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
That is proper old school pixel art, someone old is making this. The scrolling menus though! Uhh.

VIDOMINA

Literate
So much goodness. Many of those i knew already. But many i didn't. Nice post. Now i'm busy checking out the ones i didn't know. So much goodness, so little time.

makchanka

Arbiter
Weaves of Fate, "a unique and epic blend of isometric role playing and tactical strategy" set in the far future:

ss_3c117fe64020db95afea1d84e35c860f55f947a7.600x338.jpg

ss_7614e561f5cad3458fb20bc601c481e15cbeabe4.600x338.jpg

Weaves of Fate is a unique and epic blend of isometric role playing and tactical strategy. In the far future, a demonic invasion throughout all of time has been triggered as a result of humanity’s actions. With the timeline shattered and paradoxes cropping up, the game follows multiple characters in different time periods as they deal with the resulting challenges and conflicts. As fate’s weaves fall apart and the timeline fractures, the incarnations of reality decide to intervene. To preserve fate and destiny, Death himself must become mortal and enter the human realm to fix things.

Key Features
- Level-up system: Make your heroes more powerful by upgrading their stats or unlocking new abilities and spells for them to use in battle.
- Replayability: Replay levels for a better rating and extra upgrade points to spend on making heroes more powerful.
- Powerful abilities: Teleport your character around the battlefield and obliterate enemies with powerful spells.
- Deep and engaging story, spanning across multiple characters and time periods.

Looks interesting.

No custom party or even PC? Bleh. Unless the writing is actually decent (like PS:T or BG), I don't see the appeal of pregen characters. Most of the time it ends up being some god awful Deviant Art style mary sue wankfest where you play as XxXDarkL0rDg0kU420XxX who is the only one who can stop Lord Satan Hitler from murdering the galaxy, because your penis is just so big. Like, it's so big and everyone knows it, and they all constantly talk about it and also you have big muscles, and that is very important. At least BG did some interesting shit with the whole kid of the murder god thing, and had a lot of memorable characters.

The graphics look amazing though. I really like the art style. It's absolutely gorgeous. If the characters are compelling I'd get it, but I do not need another game where I'm forced to sit through lines of dialog written by a manchild who thinks that his power fantasy is in any way interesting.

makchanka

Arbiter
BG had a lot of memorable characters? I can't think of a game with more annoying, saccarine and cringy characters than BG.

Minsc was designed like this: "What if Lennie from Of Mice and Men went on a killing spree with a bludgeon?" Tiax was a midget who worshipped Satan. Edwin, a murderous psychotic who talked to himself, was turned into a queer in his pursuit of power. Everyone made fun of him for it until he ran away. Montaron and Xzar were the world's most dysfunctional gay couple, next to Bert and Ernie, who were also the world's worst assassins. The Baldur's Gate series was like an episode of Maury. One of the good ones even.

And we're talking about games here. BG is up against shit like Arcanum of Steamworks and Personalities Obscura, Mass Effect: Oorah Space Rambo, and Fallout. I can remember Ian, Tycho, Dogmeat, and Tandy. I can't remember anything about them other than that Ian had a leather jacket, Tycho had a gas mask, and Dogmeat liked leather jackets.

Most games are written by nerdy incel shut-in devs who have obvious trouble understanding how people work. We have to have lowered expectations because games are designed by gross nerds.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Shigatari, "a samurai role-playing game with historical artwork" with permadeath and katana duels:

ss_6f034ec8b3c6fc895eefebfbedaa68c483acb28d.600x338.jpg

ss_474b39dcadf90e4e37c9d6bbbd9621cacfb988f9.600x338.jpg

Most samurai are forgotten. Will you be among them, or will you join the ranks of Miyamoto Musashi and Tomoe Gozen?

Key features:
  • Samurai RPG with permadeath
  • Beautiful historical artwork from the public domain
  • Brutal and strategic katana duels
  • Combine seven dueling schools to form your own style
  • Three-axis morality system
  • Commit seppuku to earn persistent bonuses
  • Get one-shot by bosses who look like kabuki actors
  • Cut down defenseless peasants and give their hearts to an oni
  • Get wasted on sake and visit a kagema

The concept sounds interesting.

Lurker47

Savant
Shigatari, "a samurai role-playing game with historical artwork" with permadeath and katana duels:

ss_6f034ec8b3c6fc895eefebfbedaa68c483acb28d.600x338.jpg

ss_474b39dcadf90e4e37c9d6bbbd9621cacfb988f9.600x338.jpg

Most samurai are forgotten. Will you be among them, or will you join the ranks of Miyamoto Musashi and Tomoe Gozen?

Key features:
  • Samurai RPG with permadeath
  • Beautiful historical artwork from the public domain
  • Brutal and strategic katana duels
  • Combine seven dueling schools to form your own style
  • Three-axis morality system
  • Commit seppuku to earn persistent bonuses
  • Get one-shot by bosses who look like kabuki actors
  • Cut down defenseless peasants and give their hearts to an oni
  • Get wasted on sake and visit a kagema

The concept sounds interesting.

Looks awesome. Feudal Japan is a criminally underutilized environment.

Leitz

Learned
I played the demo...it wasn't particularly good
This thread has turned into a promo place for shitty indie games that aren't even out yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom