Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Iznaliu

Arbiter
And then he'll go to the publisher or CEO to ask for funds, he will be denied because "the last one sold crappy", and that will be the end of it.

Fargo is a salesman. He can get past that kind of stuff.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I was name-searching myself elsewhere and found a couple of Obsidian forum clowns crying about my review of The Red Hand, which reminded me of these ancient posts from April 2016.

Content complete means expect this in about seven months. :cool:

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I think this will be more solid than other Kickstarter projects. Instead of 29 months, it'll be about 3.5 years, and they're using an engine they're already familiar with. Good to go within 5-6 months.

It doesn't make sense to me that the game would need seven more months of development. That would make the entire beta period longer than even Wasteland 2's.

Final result: They needed more than seven months and they were good to go after nearly three additional months (seems less and less likely there will ever be another patch). Another nearly accurate Roguey assessment!

FeelTheRads

Arcane
What's a patch even going to do now? Nothing short of a complete remake would give this any chance and that's not gonna happen. Even if they had the funds to do it, I'm still not sure they figured out what was wrong with it.

But speaking of patches, though, I wonder if in the last patch (which I didn't try) fixed one of the bugs I discovered. It was with that woman that can teleport the kid companion to another time. When she did that you get moved with her to the teleporter but she actually duplicates and a copy remains in here initial spot so when you talked to her the camera kept switching between that spot and your party near the teleporter.

Athelas

Arcane
Another nearly accurate Roguey assessment!
I think this will be more solid than other Kickstarter projects.
:prosper:

In retrospect, inXile's true calling may be making games with a crowd-pleasing pulp sensibility (Robots and punks in the post-apocalypse! Funny singing goblins and snarky bards!), and their attempt to branch out into more serious fare a predictable flop.
PS:T was pretty pulpy.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
He was refering to your pride in a correct assessment posted along with a catastrophically poor prediction

But it wasn't a poor prediction? Tides of Numenera is now as polished as it gets.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
T:ToN's perceived lack of polish in certain areas (combat speed, interface, etc.) has been one of the focal points of criticism.

All right, but considering what I was responding to ("+1.5 years of patching.") and the full context of my post, I was only referring to how long it would take it to get patched into something that's not a mess.

Athelas

Arcane
T:ToN's perceived lack of polish in certain areas (combat speed, interface, etc.) has been one of the focal points of criticism.

All right, but considering what I was responding to ("+1.5 years of patching.") and the full context of my post, I was only referring to how long it would take it to get patched into something that's not a mess.
Yes, I'm sure the brief period of post-launch support had nothing to do with the game commercially underperforming to such a degree that its sales couldn't justify allocating more budget to future patches, no matter how much they were needed.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yes, I'm sure the brief period of post-launch support had nothing to do with the game commercially underperforming to such a degree that its sales couldn't justify allocating more budget to future patches, no matter how much they were needed.

Any remaining big issues could probably be knocked out with an additional three months of work, which would fall within my estimate.

Iznaliu

Arbiter

There are some critical issues that can't be fixed even with a spit-and-shine.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
When I said Ruins of Myth Drannor was gonna be the best game ever I just meant "compared to E.T. on the Atari"

circ

Arcane
In retrospect, inXile's true calling may be making games with a crowd-pleasing pulp sensibility (Robots and punks in the post-apocalypse! Funny singing goblins and snarky bards!), and their attempt to branch out into more serious fare a predictable flop.

Unfortunately this does not impact just Inxile. TTON flopping means that, apart from extreme indies, there will be nothing risky done in this genre for another decade.
TTON risky. LUL sure.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
A RPG that takes place in a non-traditional fantasy setting where there are only about a dozen fights and most of your time is spent reading would be considered a higher than usual risk by most investors, yes.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
A RPG that takes place in a non-traditional fantasy setting where there are only about a dozen fights and most of your time is spent reading would be considered a higher than usual risk by most investors, yes.

True, but that doesn't mean investors won't take other kinds of risks.

Prime Junta

Well yeah, but OTOH a sequel to a cult classic with a fanatically dedicated fanbase, budgeted exactly to match the size of that fanbase...? It's all in the point of view mang

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

Well yeah, but OTOH a sequel to a cult classic with a fanatically dedicated fanbase, budgeted exactly to match the size of that fanbase...? It's all in the point of view mang

Then again, if Pillars is any indication, the trick is to cater the sequel to the people who hated the original game.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
AoD did well so suck on that, investors.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
AoD did well so suck on that, investors.

AoD has fewer owners on Steam than Torment...
gog, direct purchase etc, etc. and no kickstarter to boot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom