Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Helherron - a very addictive Nahlakh-like game

kothyxaan

Novice
Will there be a peak as to how powerful they get undead/gladiators?

Also wish list:
Buy food to eat (not just to carry away) at the tavern.

quasimodo

Augur
As was mentioned by a previous poster I have gotten the farmer's dog following me around. I thought I had lost him when I went for a boat ride the the other islands, but when I returned he was faithfully waiting at the dock.

mercyRPG

Cipher
As was mentioned by a previous poster I have gotten the farmer's dog following me around. I thought I had lost him when I went for a boat ride the the other islands, but when I returned he was faithfully waiting at the dock.

PET SYSTEM

That's cool! I want Beast Pets. Tamed in woodlands or in "savage dungeons" or charmed in battle by a special Charm Beast Spell, which is permanent, if you have the Beast Amulet, which you can get in a mission. Allows Beast Companions to aid you in battle. More can be charmed by higher level adventurers leading to a small beast mob following you around in late game -, just like henchmen, but no need to pay.
Cons: Increased food consumption! Your Beast Pets love to eat lots of meat! They are nice help or meat-shields in battle. These Pets simply can eat enemies in battle satiating their hunger. The more fun beast pets could be found later and these could be the harder to hit spectral ones, teleporting monsters or Ghost Dragons or Lightning Elementals or Reaper Demons or Lava Golems.

Later in development a new playable class Beastmaster could be created, having the amulet and the necessary spell from beginning and later find for him more powerful amulets and beast charm spells, like currently we can find more powerful musical instruments for our Bard.

akuukka

Educated

No.

That being said, the undead will not get noticeably stronger at all if you play "normally". I just want to discourage doing certain actions that waste time. (You could write a simple script that takes over your keyboard, which would in the wilderness move left and right, left and right, left and right, again and again, killing encountered animals using quick combat and then hunt for food and eat. This could be done until you get as much experience as you want - while you are sleeping).

Gladiators will eventually become stronger than any hero. But the difficulty will creep in very slowly (the next gladiator is around 3% stronger than the previous one). The reward follows a similar formula.

kothyxaan

Novice
Thing is, people who want to cheat will cheat :) I like to take my time with games and mess around, occaisionally I will cheat (single player game, why not if you want to?) making the game easier or harder or just for lol's.
Time limits make me feel rushed all the time, bleh, which would have the adverse effect of tempting me to cheat -,- just to make sure I was powerful enough to finish the game.
So yeh, this will not really discourage cheating.

Ah yeh! Would it be possible to make the "facing" indicator in combat more noticeable?

Last edited:

mercyRPG

Cipher
Thing is, people who want to cheat will cheat :) I like to take my time with games and mess around, occaisionally I will cheat (single player game, why not if you want to?) making the game easier or harder or just for lol's.
Time limits make me feel rushed all the time, bleh, which would have the adverse effect of tempting me to cheat -,- just to make sure I was powerful enough to finish the game.
So yeh, this will not really discourage cheating.

I think cheating is rather a Creative Experiment in New Design. That's how I viewed what I had done to Battle Brothers! ;-D

akuukka

Educated

Don't worry, the strengthening is going to be very, very slow, something like 10% in 10 years (it usually takes a few years in game time to complete the game).

akuukka

Educated
I posted two screenshots of the next version to Helherron's reddit channel. Check them out!

Uncle Skull

Educated
Played this a bit yesterday, the game looks quite fun. How soon is the new version coming out, should I postpone my playthrough for it?

Now, a question concerning the game itself. Are Golems only for parties that have a lot of squishy spellcasters/ranged combatants to act as uber tanks or are they usable in a more standard band of adventurers? I kinda want to have one but I'm scared that in fights against lots of casters/enemies who deal a lot of ranged damage he will be a wasted slot and which could bite me in the ass later down the road.

akuukka

Educated
At latest it will come out in August. But could be out even next week depending on how busy I will be with other things.

I think golems are an indispensable part of any party. I think Golem barbarian is THE race/class combo that is always a good idea unless you are doing experimentations.

quasimodo

Augur
This game is awesome. You can teleport your Golem right into the middle of the middle of the ranged damage enemies and watch him kick some ass.

mercyRPG

Cipher

Also wish list:
Buy food to eat (not just to carry away) at the tavern.

One thing I like in RPGs that have great Food Artists the rendered icons/representative inventory + store images of foods: Steaks, grilled / oven baked meats, breads, veggie plates, ham, fantastic looking soups etc.. they have the talent to render or draw ready to be served food that makes me hungry!! :D

Uncle Skull

Educated
I think golems are an indispensable part of any party. I think Golem barbarian is THE race/class combo that is always a good idea unless you are doing experimentations.
This game is awesome. You can teleport your Golem right into the middle of the middle of the ranged damage enemies and watch him kick some ass.

Thanks! I'll be awaiting the next release patiently.
:positive:

kothyxaan

Novice
Possible Bug:
Some of the room descriptions appear twice. Insect cave larvae room and the other room there. There are other places, but I never took note.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Possible Bug:
Some of the room descriptions appear twice. Insect cave larvae room and the other room there. There are other places, but I never took note.

All the descriptive text appears twice.

Somewhat related, when I create an Obsidian item and choose +10% resistance for its power, the finished item has '+30% resistance' listed twice. It doesn't seem to affect the actual amount of resistance granted.

I always saw the golem party member as the ultimate mule. His carry weight is so high compared to other characters it's ridiculous. I thought that he should have a penalty to swimming, though, on account that he's a big piece of iron.

kothyxaan

Novice
Gunnar Yeh I thought that with the descriptions, but wasn't 100% sure it applied to them all. Golem in water... it would depend how deep. If it was deeper than they were in height, theyd sink to the bottom. If it wasn't then theyd have no penalty at all imo (they don't need to breath and water wouldn't slow them).

Wish list again!:
1)An item filter for when you are selling something (or maybe just something that indicates an item can be sold to the merchant you are talking too... a lot of items = is a lot of hassle when selling).
2)Combat log (someone else requested). It would be nice to see what has happened in combat (esp. when you use quick combat - I am curious to see what my peeps/monster do) Also there is the occasional crash with quick combat, still have no idea how, since it happens... well so quick!). Log saved into savegame folder?
3)Someone else mentioned this too. But there are times when the blood of your slaughtered enemies obscures existing enemies - you just cant see the blighters. Maybe Put a border around creatures on the map (red for enemy, blue for neutral, green for characters/allies)? This would also make the facing of the creature/character more noticeable.
4)To stay in the inventory screen when you drink/eat/read. Time will pass as normal off course, but if there is a creature who can see you, then the will move in and attack (kicking you out of the inventory screen and putting you into battle - to avoid cheese tactics).

And a question (I may test this myself if no one can answer):
Can trolls/orcs/lizardmen eat things like raw meat, legs, arms, organs etc, because I don't think they would be so discriminatory right? :D

Last edited:

mercyRPG

Cipher
Gunnar Yeh I [..]
3)Someone else mentioned this too. But there are times when the blood of your slaughtered enemies obscures existing enemies - you just cant see the blighters. Maybe Put a border around creatures on the map (red for enemy, blue for neutral, green for characters/allies)? This would also make the facing of the creature/character more noticeable.

Instead of outlines, I would prefer an XCOM-style emphasis, a rectangular half-tile melded with a triangle at ~30% alpha under the selected creature. Bright outlines would take away the immersion and mess visuals up, IMO.

Gunnar
And a question (I may test this myself if no one can answer):
Can trolls/orcs/lizardmen eat things like raw meat, legs, arms, organs etc, because I don't think they would be so discriminatory right? :D
Yeah, already there is severed head, etc.. these could be made logically == to rations for the wilder races.
==>I love corpse eating in ADOM. You kill the enemy, there its body is your "trophy" and you can eat anything you earn in battle. :)

Corpses however in Helherron would have to be itemized, they already have gory corpse (body parts) graphics, but additional work would be probably required to squeeze them into an inventory item icon.

Last edited:

kothyxaan

Novice
mercyRPG Or just cheat and use one of the generic inventory images for food (the meat one or the one that looks like a grey bag that is used for stuff like slime).

akuukka

Educated
Instead of outlines, I would prefer an XCOM-style emphasis, a rectangular half-tile melded with a triangle at ~30% alpha under the selected creature. Bright outlines would take away the immersion and mess visuals up, IMO.

Agreed, it should be something alphablended.

If somebody can come up with decent 32x32 pngs for each 8 directions, I will happily replace the current ones...

SkeleTony

Augur
akuukka Beyond my capabilities I am afraid. Hopefully someone can help though :) I wonder how Skeletony is these days... ;)

Yeah sorry mate; I have been busy with a bunch of bullshit in RL and in my spare time I have been playing Nahlakh and Disciples of Steel and Heroes 3: HotA lately so I haven't been doing any graphic stuff. Plus it is hard to get motivated to do such for a game I cannot play because I refuse to 'upgrade' from Windows XP.

kothyxaan

Novice
SkeleTony Ah shit, sorry to hear that man. Spare time scarce here too. Kids and work, pfeh. Eh... makes it sounds like I hate my kids eh... Nah I love the little buggers, but between them and work, not much time for me or my wife. Hope shit gets better for you though :)
I played a little of Disciples of Steel, always meant to get back to it... Its not too bad a game, be nice if it had a make over too, and Darklands... Knights of Legends, so many games, so little time. Never finished Nahlakh either, finished Natuk, POTWS had potential... but it just seemed so empty, shame he never finished it. Also rediscovered Gearhead rpg... bah im rambling now!
Doesn't the 32bit version of Helherron work on XP?
I'm on win7 and I refuse to upgrade! Win7 aint so bad... but win10 pfeh, spyware10 more like :D
Why is it each new release Windows is more dumbed down and restrictive than the last?

akuukka

Educated
Btw, some good news finally: I fixed the bug where dead character's items disappeared.

2.104 Release Candidate 1 is going to be available very soon.

akuukka

Educated
OK, it's out now.

Check helherron.co.nf.

Although it may seem that there's not that much new in this version, many parts of the game (especially UI) are rewritten from scratch. This is in preparation for the upcoming mouse/touch UI. Therefore I suspect this version may have some serious bugs which need to be addressed before we have official 2.104. Please play the game and report any bugs!

akuukka

Educated
RELEASE NOTES FOR VERSION 2.104

* Improved graphics.
* Fixed a bug where dead character's items disappeared after saving and loading.
* Light emitting tiles (torches, campfires, etc).
* Castle Galatako arena has now endless number of matches available. Even if you reach the championship, you will have to defend it against challengers or you lose it. Opponents will become slowly, but exponentially stronger, but so will the rewards. How far can you get?
* At gladiator arena, you no longer choose who gets to fight after talking to the arena master. Instead, the character who initiated the conversation with the arena master will fight.
* Some variation in the initial items your characters have after party generation.
* Tweaked Stealth skill. Your chances of keeping your movement points now depends on the number of surrounding enemies. With only 1 enemy, the chances are now considerably better than before.
* Fixed giant rat disease effect. This disease can be healed by healer NPCs.
* Fixed "movement without changing facing" in combat.
* Fixed spell casters earning way too much experience.
* Render fog of war using alpha blending instead of dithered black pixels.
* Fixed crash when casting a spell such as 'Holy Shield' and then canceling by pressing Escape when asked to choose target player character.
* Diagonal movement works in the spell selection screen.
* New elixirs and mushrooms.
* Tweaked weapon type distribution (so that you don't always use swords just because they are the most common weapon loot you find).
* Fixed a bug where you lost the reward from killing the orc chief unless you passed the letter to Genthar on the first attempt at talking to him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom