Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy XII remaster

Perkel

Arcane
Yeah, for me the game was nearly great, but the areas are just too large, empty and slog-like in the later sections. Another game which would be better off with sone of the fat trimmed.

Well it was called single player MMO for a reason.

Hyperion

Arcane
Fran is so hot, an ass for the Zodiac ages.

Her ass is one thing, her voice actress is on a 'nother level though.

Nicole+Fantl+Creative+Coalition+THR+Screen+2QWhCzO3MJPl.jpg

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Did they get the uncompressed dialog audio for this one? I can't tell from the video.

Hyperion

Arcane
A single 3 minute trailer of an 11 year old game was more exciting than the millions of dollars they spent on hyping up 15.

Did they get the uncompressed dialog audio for this one? I can't tell from the video.
If they went and added new tracks I'd imagine they revisited all of it. Some of the dialogue sounded a little differently mixed, particularly Basch's.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
If you don't bring this to PC I will travel to Japan just to have sex with kinky schoolgirls. And then kill you.

Vorark

Erudite
Might actually buy it if available on PC, the hunts were fun enough.

I still remember how couldn't figure out if Larsa was a boy or a girl :lol:

Hyperion

Arcane
FFX Remaster was announced for PC like a week or two before it released. Can probably expect the same for this.

As a followup to the double license board thing, each license board will have a node called "License Board+." When you unlock it, it prompts a second choice...and that's all of our knowledge at the moment.

http://www.4gamer.net/games/345/G034509/20170414101/

It's in Japanese, but it confirms the change if you translate it. It also calls the game the "Evolution of FFXII," which makes me wonder if they're finally getting rid of the Spell / Action queue that was in place because of hardware limitations. Triple Scathe / Ardor Spam would be preeeeetttyyyy sexy. And would make Chaos in the Necrohol much less of a chore.

There's a trainer for the International Version of the game. The way the game functions is that there's 1 huge pool of Licenses, and each board takes a certain number of them. For example there's an HP +50, +75......etc. etc. all the way to +500. Using the original system you couldn't double up HP Licenses as the +500 node for Samurai and Monk were technically the "same" one. Whether or not this stays remains to be seen. If not, a potential 6 Swiftness Nodes will be fucking INSANE. If they don't add any extra equipment (unlikely given the broken invisible gear already in IZJS) the highest damage dealer will probably be Knight + Anything that uses Mystic Armor. Excalibur and a White Robe for Holy Potency will destroy everything outside of Yiazmat.

Twin jobs will also call for some fun decisions when it comes to Esper allocation. I.e. Monks are Esper hogs and wouldn't make for a fantastic second job otherwise.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I'm sure that if there isn't a PC release (and even if there is) there will be many, many comparison videos of PCSX2 emulating the IZJS-redub PS2 version upscaled against PS4.

Which shows people completely miss the point of this remaster. Not to mention such a comparison would be pointless to begin with: the remaster is already looking far better than PCSX2:

- Redone UI.
- Redone textures for characters, at the very least.
- New mechanics.
- Accurate and complete English translation.
- 1080p.

And so on and on. PCSX2 is only good for polygons, textures will always look like shit, especially when you go fullscreen.

I'm sure that if there isn't a PC release (and even if there is) there will be many, many comparison videos of PCSX2 emulating the IZJS-redub PS2 version upscaled against PS4.

Which shows people completely miss the point of this remaster. Not to mention such a comparison would be pointless to begin with: the remaster is already looking far better than PCSX2:

- Redone UI.
- New mechanics.
- 1080p.

And so on and on. PCSX2 is only good for polygons, textures will always look like shit, especially when you go fullscreen.

There's also the added frustration of dealing with emulators. A commercial release is just more convenient, especially if at least offers the same content value as the emulated version.

Hyperion

Arcane

- Redone UI.
- New mechanics.
- 1080p.

Redone UI so far just looks like a new font. The transparent map is a slight QoL improvement. Nothing more.

Accurate and complete English translation? You do know IZJS used English voices, and the English patch literally just applies all of the English from the original release to IZJS. The *only* remaining Japanese are the letters while Vaan is doing his "I'm Captain Basch!" bullshit.

New Mechanics at the moment is limited to 2 job boards. There's a Trainer available that allows you to give any character any license in the game. Easily remedied. Maybe monsters will have different stats, who knows. The only change the game really needs is easier farming of endgame gear either through making Cerobi Steppe less Hellish, or making Chains work differently to up the drop chance more effectively. Also remedied by the trainer and you can hand yourself any piece of gear you want and save 50 hours of bullshit.

So really, you lose out on 8 songs, which may or may not be awesome.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Redone UI so far just looks like a new font. The transparent map is a slight QoL improvement. Nothing more.

I'm not saying "the UI looks completely different", but rather, "the UI looks like it should at 1080p". That is, not pixelated or blurry or anything similar to what happens when you go fullscreen on PCSX2.

Regarding the IZJS English patch, it has some annoying errors that the translators never bothered to fix. And two job boards is pretty cool and in no way fixed by having a Trainer.

Hyperion

Arcane
Doubt there's much excitement for an 11 year old remaster, but it's out bros.

Got my Steelbook and am excited to hear the orchestrated tunes blaring in concert with Fran's perfectly defined cheeks, and Penelo's cameltoe.

Perkel

Arcane
Doubt there's much excitement for an 11 year old remaster, but it's out bros.

Got my Steelbook and am excited to hear the orchestrated tunes blaring in concert with Fran's perfectly defined cheeks, and Penelo's cameltoe.

Wouldn't want that even for free. Especially Zodiac edition

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Game is still just as fun as it was the first time I picked it up. The new orchestrated soundtrack is amazing and the dual board system adds more fun depth into the character building, even though I was a bit averse to it at first. Game is ridiculously gud.

The new orchestrated soundtrack is amazing.

The theme of the Dalmasca Eastersand was among my favorite music in the game and I feel like the remaster version is entirely an improvement. The instruments are a lot more clear, making it sound a lot more bombastic and energetic. I think its great so far.
Compare the two and I think you'll hear it as as well:
Original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgvaZ1F7Ox8

Remaster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roe8I-PEL1M

Perkel

Arcane
Wouldn't want that even for free. Especially Zodiac edition

Why is that?

Because original game is "hey we fucked up HP system in game and players need 24/7 healing with all their characters ! Which means for best efficiency every character needs to properly heal thus every character is the same more or less. I know ! Let's divide our license board into classes and only 3-4 of them can heal properly ! that will do We call it international/zodiac edition"

Which means that in game where every character needs to heal you have now about half ability to heal. Hell if you don't know classes before hand you can even end up in situation where you can't heal with any character.

And then there is whole XII boring as fuck single player mmo dungeon design. Basically long corridors of nothing filled with same enemy type for next hour or two reapeat whole game for 100 hours.

If they would cut down dungeons in half, remove van and panelo and rebalance game about combat itself and not fucking "heal heal heal heal" then i would buy it.

I played both vanilla and zodiac back in day. Dropped zodiac half way because i had only one character that could heal effectively.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom