Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Which is the best Zelda game?

• Thread starter Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal
  • Start date

Which is the best Zelda game?

• Total voters

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

It's an oldschool JRPG series with a lot of strong entries. But which one is the ultimate Zelda that puts the others to shame? YOU DECIDE!!

Only doing the most well-known games, if your favorite is ultra-obscure, you can file a complaint to the conductor.

P.S. There is no such thing as a kc option. kys

Hobo Elf

Arcane
None of the above.

260px-Oracleofages.jpg
The_Legend_of_Zelda_Oracle_of_Seasons_and_Oracle_of_Ages_Game_Cover.jpg

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
None of the above.

260px-Oracleofages.jpg
The_Legend_of_Zelda_Oracle_of_Seasons_and_Oracle_of_Ages_Game_Cover.jpg

These are the best 2D Zeldas easily.

Twilight Princess is the best 3D Zelda game in the classic style. It does everything the past titles do but better, and the swordplay techniques were a blast to collect and use. Shame that hasn't been in later games.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
They are all very different games, somehow. It really is down to personal taste, except Zelda 2 for the NES which is abysmal.

Majora's Mask was pretty different from the usual formula. It had a few traditional dungeons but that wasn't the main aspect of the game at all.

My favourite Zelda game is the very first one, but that's unquestionably nostalgia. It was cryptic and mysterious and offered an entire new game once you finished, with different dungeon locations and layouts. That blew my mind at the time.

The blueprint for the modern Zelda is A Link to the Past, but I'm not too crazy about it. I think my second favourite Zelda is Link's Awakening, the Game Boy game. That was awesome too.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Majora's Mask was pretty different from the usual formula. It had a few traditional dungeons but that wasn't the main aspect of the game at all..

It has the same basic mechanics, used exactly the same assets as Ocarina of Time, used the same collection gimmicks that are present in all Zelda (to an extreme degree). It had the same basic Zelda puzzles and mini-games present in all 3D Zelda games, but wrapped it up in time limitations that were really just a continuation of OoT's time manipulation idea, and it was ultimately arbitrary as a "challenge" factor for exploration/dungeons as you can slow down time to an absurd degree via songs.

Not that it's not a great game, it's just not a huge departure imo. It expands on a lot that OoT did, and does some things much better.

Hyperion

Arcane
I've actually got an unopened Master Edition of Breath of the Wild behind me, but no Switch yet (don't even want it yet till more things come out). I'm curious to hear about the love for BotW. Is it because it's fresh on the mind, the honeymoon phase isn't over, or is it legitimately THAT good?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
My top four (five) order:

Breath of the Wild
Majora's Mask
Wind Waker
Link to the Past / A Link Between Worlds

I used to like Twilight Princess more but god that opening intro drags on. It has lost its luster over time but still has some of the best dungeons in the series.

Skyward Sword, outside of shit like the Philips-CDI games, is my least favorite. Controls are terrible and it has too much back tracking.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I've actually got an unopened Master Edition of Breath of the Wild behind me, but no Switch yet (don't even want it yet till more things come out). I'm curious to hear about the love for BotW. Is it because it's fresh on the mind, the honeymoon phase isn't over, or is it legitimately THAT good?

It's better than any of that JRPG trash you play so yes.

Falksi

Arcane
Haven't played that many of them, but Link to the Past still stands head & shoulders above the rest I've played, especially the uber disappointing Occarina of Time.

Will have to play Majoras Mask & BOTW though.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and Link to the Past.

Poll needs Zelda CDi kc option.

hackncrazy

Savant
Two weeks ago, I'd say BOTW and ALTTP shared the first place, but now that I've played A Link Between Worlds, I must say that this one takes the cake easily. It takes everything that ALTTP did good and enhance even more: The combat is even better, the dungeons are extremely well made, getting closer to the 3d ones in terms of creativity, the boss fights are fun and, mainly, the non-linearity makes everything fresh.

I really can't see how Nintendo can make a game better than ALBW.

No Link's Awakening, what is this faggotry. It's my most replayed 2d title...but that's probably because it's kind of short. I'll probably play Link Between Worlds soon-ish, waiting for an used copy to show up at a decent price.

I'm very happy with what they did with Breath of the Wild. If they make a BotW with proper dungeons instead of those morrowindian tiny shrines, it might become goty all years.

hackncrazy

Savant
If they make a BotW with proper dungeons instead of those morrowindian tiny shrines, it might become goty all years.

I agree 1000000% with this. I mean, it's nice on BOTW when you enter a dungeon for the first time and see how it is. But then, after you realize that all of them are pretty much equal and even play the same way (with only physics based puzzles), it becomes very underwhelming. But Nintendo is on its way to make better Zelda games, BOTW showed that they at least will (at least I hope) stop with the extreme handholding.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
If they make a BotW with proper dungeons instead of those morrowindian tiny shrines, it might become goty all years.

I agree 1000000% with this. I mean, it's nice on BOTW when you enter a dungeon for the first time and see how it is. But then, after you realize that all of them are pretty much equal and even play the same way (with only physics based puzzles), it becomes very underwhelming. But Nintendo is on its way to make better Zelda games, BOTW showed that they at least will (at least I hope) stop with the extreme handholding.

Noobs still bitch about BoTWs durability system.

Gives a me boner every time one of them moans about it.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Playing Minish Cap atm, this "kinstone" shit is just horrible. Put all those neat little treasures that are just off the path behind vines/whatever until the player talks to villagers at random until he can match a stone and watch a cutscene that puts a flashing marker on the map. NOW you can get your 50 rupees, well done. Also, the Cap comes straight in with the navi nonsense nearly every time you meet a new monster, can we not have a second to work this out ourselves? I like the look of a lot of it though, especially when you're small. And the new music tracks have been neat, but when you get back to an area with classic Zelda tracks they feel weird. May end up dropping this.

Anyone played Minish Cap, Link's Awakening, LTTP and Oracle of x? Thinking of giving Oracle a proper go, but if you tell me it's closer to Minish than either of the others, forget it.

Ivan

Arcane
I grew up on Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, but Breath of the Wild really blew me away. It felt like those games but with more Gothic elements.

Ash

Arcane
Have played:

Zelda 2, Links Awakening, Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time.

Links Awakening and Link to the Past are probably just as good as one another, that being very good.
Zelda 2 and Ocarina of Time are also probably just as good as one another, that being not very. Or OK I guess, some things about them just really ground my gears.

Oh, I also played Minish Cap, but not for long enough to have any valid input.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i am triggered by the OP calling the zelda series "jrpgs".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom