Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Shit in RPGs that piss you off

mbv123

Arbiter
Is there anything worse than having a boss battle, you mopping the floor with the boss in seconds because your build is OP as fuck, only to lose in a cutscene for retarded plot reasons? Why even include the boss battle in the first place? Just make it a cutscene and nothing of value will be lost.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Pointless NPCs. If the NPC isn't memorable in any way or form, then it isn't even needed or it isn't written properly.

It's also why merchants are some of the NPCs I hate the most. They have no personality at all for the most part, and even those who do show some modicum of personality still revert to generic lines when trading.

Planescape: Torment got rid of this completely.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
It's also why merchants are some of the NPCs I hate the most. They have no personality at all for the most part, and even those who do show some modicum of personality still revert to generic lines when trading.
Looking to protect yourself, or deal some damage?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

Sure, here's what I got.
Sure, here's what I got.
Sure, here's what I got.
Sure, here's what I got.
Sure, here's what I got.

I mean HOLY SHIT how fucking lazy do you have to be to provide every single voice actor the same fucking lines? Was it really that difficult to add a bit of variation? I liked Killian's line in FO1: "Let me show you what I have over here", or something like that.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
L
Pointless NPCs. If the NPC isn't memorable in any way or form, then it isn't even needed or it isn't written properly.

Planescape: Torment got rid of this completely.
yeah. The onky games that does this are few. It is a jrpg bit trails series did minor character building better than anything i have ever seen. Even planescape torment

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Repetitives fights with mooks. Even worse, when the fights are turnbased and it isn't your skill, that kills the party but luck. Expeditions Conquistador for example, was very fun but boy did I hate the random encounters.

Exhuminator

Arcane
Inane amounts of grinding.

Amnesiac protagonist.

Backtracking in general.

Autoleveling enemies and bosses.

Required scavenger hunt quests.

Unskippable cutscenes before a very hard boss.

Super slow battle systems (usually due to lethargic animations).

Melodrama of any sort.

Guiding the player's trajectory and then suddenly ceasing to do so.

The final boss is 10x harder than any boss before it (JRPGs are notorious for this) so you're forced to grind your ass off or go find special super powerful weapons you'd only have known about if you were using a guide (which the publisher just so happens to sell).

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

The rest button.

Seriously, any game (besides Pranusceipu: Torumento that's not really about gameplay) that has a "insta-reset everything to maximum" button should be laughed at and derided for having no gameplay.

Colour Spray

Educated
filler combat
Yeah, this.

It really shows when the developer treats the npcs in their game as disposable. Having encounters with enemy adventuring parties, for instance, only makes the setting more believable. Surely you aren't the only band of mercenaries or heroes? Otherwise there'd probably be laws in place to crack down on this one homicidal band of vigilantes murdering and looting their way through the country-side.

Like, if you're an evil party and your infamy starts to grow; shouldn't you eventually run into an organised squad of do-gooders intent on putting you to rights? Shouldn't be too hard to create an insular random encounter like that, which makes checks based on your game-state before triggering and helps create the illusion of the game reacting to your presence.

Personally I hate special pro-noun player characters.
.... Nah, not trannys; but like, 'the inquisitor,' and all that, that makes it easier for the voice-overs. Maybe that was a clever solution to having name-able characters with voice-over the first time you did it; but every-time after that you just rail-roaded you story into anointed one rubbish that gets flimsier with each successive re-tread. Even more so because it means you have to introduce the concept early otherwise you've got a bunch of people in the studio going But what do i caaaall you!?! or going to great lengths to imply they are talking in your direction without actually saying it.

... Mostly just Bioware games I guess.
While I'm on the topic, gamey box-rooms which you're trapped inside of until you've defeated exactly four waves of the same respawning 3x machine gun soldier, 2x armoured shotgun guy, 1x magic alien/bigger robot or whatever. I haven't even played DooM yet because of that and i figure the level design there is a lot better than your typical rpg team will deliver. I don't think all those polygons are worth the detriments to level design and player agency.

Krivol

Magister
Cities...

No really. I love Arcanum, BG2 and Fallout 1 and 2 but in all new games like Pillars, Bethesda games, BioWare games, jrpgs, etc - cities with all that stupid, uslesess, uninspired dialogues and dumb quests.

I usually abandon game when I am entering city.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Pointless grind like on old school classic such as Wizardy where you do shit with increasing number for shit ton of hours only to restart because there are only 4 optimum multi-class/race combinations that there is now way you will know about without consulting the resident expert with 100 hours in the game

:0-13:

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
One thing that pisses me off is shitty boss battles. I mean come, the fuck on you are making a video game, if you cannot make an enemy that provides a decent challenge then just stick to making Adventure games or visual novels. Or just don't bother with "epic" plotlines about saving the world and just stick to lower key, personal stories. Nothing pisses me off more than some super-God hyped through half of the game being a total bitch.

Other then that shit loot probably. I can handle filler combat. You just kill a bunch of small shitters and move on. On the other hand collecting all the shitty uninspired weapons, chosing decent ones among them and selling the rest is just tedious. It was fine in DnD based games. You just found a normal weapon and knew instantly that you need to sell or drop it. Now you find some bullshit 14-24 damage sword, with 3 fire damage against stunned goblins and have to wonder if it's better than your 13-21 damage sword that has 15% chance of inflicting poison. Just get the fuck out with this shit.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
No character creation. I go as far as refusing to play "RPGs" that don't have character creation.

Quillon

Arcane
Too linear & unskippable beginnings. Making it skippable would be one thing but ideally there should be different starting locations.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Sure, here's what I got.
Sure, here's what I got.
Sure, here's what I got.
Sure, here's what I got.
Sure, here's what I got.

I mean HOLY SHIT how fucking lazy do you have to be to provide every single voice actor the same fucking lines? Was it really that difficult to add a bit of variation? I liked Killian's line in FO1: "Let me show you what I have over here", or something like that.
They're masterworks all, you can't go wrong.

Also I goddamn hate playing a fixed protag.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom